Start by marking “Ten Minutes from Home: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Ten Minutes from Home: A Memoir

Ten Minutes from Home: A Memoir

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  111 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Ten Minutes from Home is the poignant account of how a suburban New Jersey family struggles to come together after being shattered by tragedy.

In this searing, sparely written, and surprisingly wry memoir, Beth Greenfield shares what happens in 1982 when, as a twelve-year-old, she survives a drunk-driving accident that kills her younger brother Adam and best friend Kristin
Published April 27th 2010 by Crown (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Minutes from Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Minutes from Home

Susan
Jun 10, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
Ten minutes from home, coming back from twelve-year old Beth's ballet recital, the family car was hit by a drunk driver. Beth's little brother and only sibling, Adam, and her best friend, Kristen, did not survive. This memoir, written 25 years later, is a heartfelt, touching memoir of grief, of coping and not coping, of the guilt of survival. Beth did not know how to deal with all she was feeling, and her parents, lost in their own fogs, were not able to help. She especially needed her mother an ...more
Samantha Grabelle
May 27, 2015 Samantha Grabelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autographed
This is written by a friend from high school who "virtually" found me just months before the book was published. I was able to attend her reading at the B&N back home but chose to not read the book until afterwards. Seeing her again was great, but the reading was very intense as nearly all if not all of us knew that it was about the car accident she and her parents were in that killed her little brother and best friend.

When I got home from the reading, I read half the book in one night (sta
Amanda
Dec 16, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
Great writing, interesting topic, but oh, so sad. I really enjoyed her honesty as the author described her grieving process; how she felt sad but couldn't let it show, how sometimes she wanted to let her anguish wash over her yet also wanted to forget it had ever happened (often at the same time), how it influenced her rebellious behavior as a teen. A really fascinating and genuine view. No happy ending but if you feel the need for a good cry this can get you there.
Karen
Jun 21, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This memoir has stuck with me well after reading it. Beth survives a tragic car accident which killed her younger brother and friend. It is a window to her emotions which continue to affect her during the years to come. In an instant what should have been a carefree youth, was taken away by a drunk driver. I felt her grief reading the painful details as she moves forward. Her strength and survival is inspiring. I very rarely read memoirs but highly recommend this one.
Lisa
Jan 29, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
I cried more with this book than any other book I have ever read I think. This memoir is just so tragic and touching. I could really feel the emotion that Beth was pulling from her heart and putting on paper. I am glad to have read this memoir and I will hold it in my heart for a long time.
Thanks for sharing Beth.
Lynette
I think that Beth Greenfield did an excellent job of retelling the horror of living through a traffic accident in which her best friend and younger brother were killed and her father gravely injured, and which left her mother in a debilitated emotional state. The wreck was caused by a drunk driver and happened after an outing which involved a dance recital in which the author starred. They never saw it coming. I think I would have liked to see the author go a little beyond what she wrote -- poss ...more
Diane
Apr 25, 2010 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Memoirs are generally not my thing, but Greenfield writes so beautifully and expresses herself so honestly that I was hooked.
Missy
Oct 08, 2010 Missy rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
Ten Minutes From Home is a well written memoir by Beth Greenfield, which tells the heartbreaking story of a car accident that takes the life of Beth's little brother Adam, and her best friend Kristen. In 1982, a drunk driver causes her family's accident. Beth chronicles her years after the accident, growing up in a home full of sadness and despair. She doesn't know how to deal with her grief, and becomes angry with her parents, especially her mother, because her mother outwardly expresses her sa ...more
Donna
May 09, 2011 Donna rated it liked it
Shelves: read-it-forward
Beth Greenfield was just 12 years old when, returning from her ballet recital, a drunk driver hit her family’s car, killing her little brother and her best friend. Her father was seriously injured but recovered, and her foot was broken.
In “Ten Minutes from Home” — how far away from their neighborhood they were when the accident happened — Greenfield shares how she and her parents navigated through the new world in which they found themselves living.
The three of them grieve very differently. Her
Kathleen Hagen
Ten Minutes from Home: a Memoir, by Beth Greenfield,Narrated by Ann M. Richardson, Produced by Audible Inc., and downloaded from audible.com.

This is the memoir of Beth Greenfield and an event that occurred when she was twelve years old, in 1982, that changed her and her family’s life. Beth, her parents, her younger brother Adam,and her best friend Kristin, were on the way home from Beth’s ballet recital. A drunk driver came out of nowhere, hit the car, killed her younger brother and her best fri
Dolores
May 23, 2016 Dolores rated it liked it
In 1982 twelve-year-old Beth Greenfield's younger brother and her best friend were killed in a drunken-driving accident on the way home from Beth's ballet recital. Her courageous memoir tells how she and her parents struggled for years to come to grips with the tragedy.
Jun 22, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing
This was a great book that I was fortunate enough to win an advanced reader copy thru Read It Foreword. I liked it a lot and love the author's writing style. It was a deeply personal story that the author experienced thirty years ago, losing her adopted brother in an automobile accident and losing her best friend, Kristen. In the process she suffered a broken leg and to go thru her own grief and the grief of why was I spared. You can definitely tell that she is a writer and tells the story as if ...more
Jeffrey Johnson
Feb 14, 2014 Jeffrey Johnson rated it liked it
Depressing. But that is what I seek.
Manisha
Feb 27, 2013 Manisha rated it liked it
Meh, I really really wanted to like this book more and be moved by it. With the subject matter, I thought I would be. However, I think I would have different expectations if it was a YA book. It was written from an adult perspective when the child was 12 and these tragic events occurred but it just didn't do much for me. Beth Greenfield's writing style is easy and I admire memoir writing, I just wasn't enamored in a way that I expected to be. 2.5 stars!
Toni
Sep 24, 2015 Toni rated it liked it
Well written memoir of how a family copes with the loss of a child/sibling.
Janet
May 26, 2010 Janet rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir-bio
Not one of my favorite memoirs, even though the subject (losing brother and best friend in car wreck) is tragic enough to suit my tastes. I'm learning that I really don't like childhood memoirs written from the vantage point of that childhood; I'd much rather read from the perspective of the adult who has learned from it all, for better or worse.
Sandra
Aug 09, 2010 Sandra rated it did not like it
A memoir about a car accident which kills the author's little brother and her best friend. She is 12 years old at the time and the book tells how she learned to cope in the next few years but nothing about how she copes today, twenty five years later. Not a very interesting book.
Precious Williams
Jun 12, 2010 Precious Williams marked it as to-read
I am so thrilled about this book. Beth was a student in a Memoir Writing class I taught in New York and her writing really stood out. This is her memoir! Cannot wait to read it. I am so pleased for her and very touched that she's thanked me in the acknowledgments of her book!
Erin
Jan 08, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it
Sad story, told from 12 year old perspective. I wish it had at least an epilogue telling a little about how she and her family are dealing with this tragedy as adults and how it affected her adult relationships. My heart goes out to her family.
Diane Yannick
Aug 07, 2010 Diane Yannick rated it really liked it
Interesting memoir told from the point of view of a young survivor who loses her brother and best friend to a drunk driver. Trying to be a family again is tough especially since parents were not emotionally available to remaining child.
Diana
Feb 07, 2012 Diana rated it really liked it
Very moving. Well written and well paced. Felt slightly rushed at the end. A beautiful memoir about young grief and the attempt to find some way to recover from tragedy. This book spoke to me in a profound way.
Gale Stanley
Aug 06, 2010 Gale Stanley rated it it was amazing
It took me a long time to finish this book because I'd start crying and have to put it down. It brought back painful memories. Beth brings your emotions to the surface.
Cyndi
Jul 29, 2011 Cyndi rated it really liked it
Solid, but not spectacular, a bit bleak for most tastes...

I think, as I often have, that half-star ratings should be available. (I'd give this one three and a half.)
Hippiemouse420
Apr 15, 2013 Hippiemouse420 rated it really liked it
I could really relate to Ms. Greenfield on several points. The writing was good and the story was absorbing without being morbid.
Michelle
Jul 19, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
didn't finish but got to chapter 14. I was waiting and looking for the part of her getting older and then looking back on the situation.
Danielle
Jul 01, 2010 Danielle rated it it was amazing
would love to hear more from this author. a moving story of grief. want to hear her stories of college and beyond.
Lindsey Lang
Jun 09, 2010 Lindsey Lang marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-to-read
woo hoo, another win! this one's not even a firstreads win, i won it on the read it forward website!!!
Kim
May 03, 2013 Kim rated it liked it
Always an extra touch to read about true events that happened around the your own neighborhood.
ellen
Jul 27, 2010 ellen rated it really liked it
Knowing the people and places made this book a page turner for me. Read it in one sitting.
Nicole
Jun 02, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
A touching memoir that kept me reading. Heartbreakingly honest.
  • Murder by Family: The Incredible True Story of a Son's Treachery & a Father's Forgiveness
  • Jenniemae & James: A Memoir in Black and White
  • I'm Still Standing: From Captive U.S. Soldier to Free Citizen--My Journey Home
  • Weeping Underwater Looks a Lot Like Laughter
  • The California Roll
  • Messenger: The Legacy of Mattie J.T. Stepanek and Heartsongs
  • Imperfect Endings: A Daughter's Tale of Life and Death
  • The Distancers: An American Memoir
  • Fraternity: In 1968, a visionary priest recruited 20 black men to the College of the Holy Cross and changed their lives and the course of history.
  • My Long Trip Home: A Family Memoir
  • Maybe a Miracle
  • The Black Nile: One Man's Amazing Journey Through Peace and War on the World's Longest River
  • Angel of Death Row: My Life as a Death Penalty Defense Lawyer
  • Death on the Barrens: A True Story of Courage and Tragedy in the Canadian Arctic
  • Little Madhouse on the Prairie: A True-Life Story of Overcoming Abuse and Healing the Spirit
  • Mission Al-Jazeera: Build a Bridge, Seek the Truth, Change the World