Start by marking “Strangers in the Night” as Want to Read:
Strangers in the Night

Strangers in the Night

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  3,014 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Three stunningly sensual tales from the acclaimed bestselling author of Mr. Perfect and Open Season

With her exhilarating mix of "hot sex, emotional impact, and gripping tension" (Publishers Weekly), Linda Howard has crafted some of today's most exciting contemporary ?ction. Feel the thrill of unexpected passion between strangers in the night...in a seductive story collecti
Published December 1st 2001 by Atria Books (first published November 27th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Strangers in the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strangers in the Night

Jane Stewart
5 stars, 4 stars and 2 stars for three stories.

This book contains reprints of three stories which were first published in the 1990s.

5 stars for WHITE OUT.
Loved it. Nice plot twists. Some suspense. Intriguing sex scenes. Hope runs a lake resort in Idaho. During a blizzard, a nearly frozen man knocks on her door and collapses. She drags him inside, removes his frozen clothes and gets inside a blanket with him to give him her body heat.

(view spoiler)
Kathleen
Kindle edition. Three short stories, all written by Linda Howard, all previously published. The first two listed below have a paranormal edge. All three stories involve thoughts of conception and include explicit sex scenes.

Lake of Dreams: 2.5 stars. Not crazy about this one. Too much time spent in dreams, or in her head. She keeps seeing him murder her, but it's only in her dreams. Isn't it?? Very sexy. Nice ending.

Blue Moon: 4.5 stars. Loved this one!! A sheriff and a "different" woman who l
Shannon C.
For an anthology collection, these were surprisingly good. (I usually prefer full length novels.) I liked all three stories.

4 stars: Lake of Dreams
Highly original short story with a mix of suspense, romance, paranormal and horror. Kept me on the edge of my seat!

3.5 stars: Blue Moon
Short but sweet love story with an sexy small town sheriff and psychic heroine. This one ended a little abrubtly for me--would have liked for it to be longer. Good read.

3.5 stars: White Out
Heroine saves sexy hero duri
Angela Noviana
Aku kira ini 3 cerita yang saling sambung menyambung, tapi ternyata berdiri sendiri cerita-ceritanya. Terlalu singkat. Huhuhuhu... Semuanya mengenai dua manusia yang sama-sama asing namun akhirnya bersatu (dalam jangka waktu dekat >,<).

Danau Mimpi bercerita mengenai mimpi yang dialami oleh Thea. Berkali-kali dalam mimpinya dia bertemu dengan pria itu dan setiap kalinya dia dibunuh oleh pria itu. Hidup dan kemudian mati. Tapi itu semua hanya mimpi sampai dia bertemu sosok pria dalam mimpiny
Uthie
Strangers In The Night adalah kumpulan 3 novella dari Linda Howard.

Danau Mimpi bercerita tentang Thea Marlow yang mendapat mimpi-mimpi bersambung tentang seorang lelaki. Mimpi-mimpi itu menyebabkan tidur malamnya menjadi tak nyenyak. Terkadang mimpi itu begitu erotis, di malam yang lain lelaki dalam mimpinya datang untuk menghabisi nyawanya. Merasa tak nyaman Thea memutuskan untuk beristirahat di rumah musim panas milik keluarganya. Tapi disana ia justru bertemu dengan laki-laki yang wajahnya mi
Taylor Grace
Strangers in the Night is a story collection from Linda Howard. It contains three short stories written by this author. In my mind, there’s no better way to know if you like an author than to try a short story. It’s like the book equivalent of an hors d’oeuvre, small, delicious without any commitment.

The first story is Lake of Dreams and it’s almost a fantasy. It definitely has a fantastical element in it. Sick of not getting enough sleep, Thea Marlow goes to the cottage by the lake that has bee
Bukcrz
Of all these shorties, it's White Out that made impact. The dilemma that the heroine was put on has put me on the edge of my seat and I applaud her her way of resolving the problem. I was glad that she did not became a slave of her own passion to her detriment. Some heroines will give a ticking bomb to a handsome stranger who gave them several explosive orgasms just because they 'feel' safe with the stranger. Not so with this heroine. And I wish writers will write more heroines like her.
The rest
Kerra
Before I begin...
When I picked up this book, from the library, I didn't bother reading the back because I really like Linda Howard's books, so I was kind of surprised to find out there were three books in one. I don't normally like short stories; I find there isn't enough character building or plot development. But anyways...

Lake of Dreams
I thought this one was pretty good. The dreams made you pretty freaked out, and at first, I was thinking, "Oh no! He's a bad guy!" But... well, I don't want to
Samantha
This is a book of three short stories by Howard.

Lake of Dreams was my favorite out of the three stories in this anthology. I'm usually not a big soul mate plot fan, but this time I didn't mind at all because of how well it was done. The suspense Howard managed to build up in about 100 pages was absolutely fantastic. It had me switching my opinions of Thea's "dream man" and biting my nails every time she let him within 5 feet of her.

Blue Moon was my least favorite story out of the three. It wasn'
Yulia Anggraini
baguuus....semuax singkat,padat,tepat n kilat... ;p

lake of dreams... 4*...

bagi yg suka cerita ttg rainkarnasi,cerita ini baguus...
biasax dsetiap cerita ttg belahan jiwa yg mengalami rainkarnasi pasti ada salah satu yg ingat ttg kehidupanx yg sebelumx...dy yg berusaha mencari2 pasanganx...dsini richard yg igt...kasihaaan...sudah 12 kehidupan yg richard n thea lalui n ini kesempatan terakhir mereka untuk bersama...tidak ada kesempatan lagi...
12 kli rainkarnasi...wew...

richard hrus meyakinkan thea
Ayu Wirdha
Linda Howard – Lake of Dreams (rating 2.5)
Thea Marlow
Richard Chance

Ceritanya pendek seperti tipe Harlequin lah…Ini tentang mimpi-mimpi Thea Marlow yang selalu datang setiap malam, mimpi yang sangat nyata. Akhir-akhir ini mimpi itu berakhir dengan terbunuhnya Thea di tangan seorang pria yang sangat dicintainya.

Ketika pria di dalam mimpinya itu datang mengetuk pintu rumah musim panas Thea dan berkata bahwa dia juga mendapat mimpi yang sama…Thea semakin ketakutan karena apakah dia akan berakhir sep
Adriana Fogaça
Strangers In The Night 3/3
White Out
Nevasca
Linda Howard
2002

Sou hiper-mega-blaster-suspeita, pra falar alguma coisa sobre este texto da LH, já li Nevasca, pelo menos umas 500 vezes, amo de paixão essa estória.

Pra mim é tão básico e primitivo... é como se o primeiro homem e mulher do planeta se descobrissem, da mesma forma, que a Hope e o Prince. Numa tentativa mais básica de salvar alguém.

Desde que o mundo é mundo não há maneira melhor maneira de se salvar alguém com o calor do corpo. E o que se s
Faith Freewoman
I bought the e-book version so I could re-read for Lake of Dreams, which I've never forgotten, and which was possibly a seed idea for my all-time favorite Linda Howard, Son of the Morning.

Three steamy novella classics by the queen of hot romances. Linda Howard set the bar high a decade or two ago, and her classic stories are still the benchmark for irresistible alpha heroes and steamy, swamp-your-senses attraction and sex.
Mia
I don't usually like short stories or paranormal, but I like Linda Howard so I decided to give this book a try, I thought all 3 stories were pretty good, the first was very intriguing and had me on my toes, actually wanted more felt the ending was rushed (alas, the short story issue) The 2nd book was okay, nothing out of the ordinary, but the 3rd was very well rounded and it was my favorite and an enjoyable read.
Christine
How do you rate a collection of short novels? Average? Lowest common denominator? I'm never sure, which is why when I first read this some time ago, I didn't mention it here. But last night, in the mood for a very quick reread, I remembered the last of the three stories in this collection: Blizzard, and decided to give that one five stars. The other two...well, I don't remember them except for a vague sense that I almost didn't read the third one, and that would have been a shame!

So, two attract
Rhapsody
Mar 11, 2008 Rhapsody rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance readers who like novellas
This book comprised three short stories. I'm not that into short stories, otherwise I'd have rated it better.

The Lake
This one is about a woman who has been having dreams of her past lives. In every life, she loved the same man. She thinks she's going nuts and retreats to her family's lake house for a rest only to find that he's her neighbor.

Blue Moon
A sheriff in Alabama meets a woman who lives out in the woods whom everyone says is a witch.

White Out
A widow who owns a series of cabins out in Idah
Kristen
If you love great romantic suspense novels, you'll enjoy this trio of short stories by Linda Howard. In Lake of Dreams, Thea Marlow dreams of making love to her dream lover. When she meets him in person, they realize they were meant to be through the hands of time, interpreting their dreams, when falling in love and fighting for what they want. In Blue Mondon, Sheriff Jackson Brody has been called to Deliliah Jones's home, and become under her spell. She's no witch, but she has healing powers an ...more
Melanie Donovan
The number of times I yawned while reading this says it all **shrugs** it just wasn't interesting enough for me. All three short stories gave me an eyeroll complex (if there is such a thing) and unfortunately the only reason I started this book to begin with was because my options were limited.......good luck to anyone willing to give this one a try you may enjoy it more than I did.
Jemma Gutierrez
The whole thing was too short. The first one worked it out but the other two needed longer times- no matter how great the plot is. Yes- the plots were interesting and it wouldn't have hurt if it were longer.
Nancy Anderson
3 short stories. Totally disliked Lake of Dreams, weird time travel tale. Blue Moon was better, a 3.5 then White Out (set in Idaho) was a 3.0.
In the end they were too short! except for Lof D.
Shae
Lake of Dreams: I really enjoyed this one and would have loved for it to be a full sized novel. It was really interesting and I was sad it wasn't longer. It was definitely my favorite of the three.

Blue Moon: I didn't like this one too much. It didn't have much going for it, and I'm glad that it wasn't longer. There wasn't much substance at all and I didn't get a feel for the characters at all.

White Out: This was really good, but I was slightly disappointed by the ending. Also, I was so shocked
Anita
Is it wrong to say that out of this whole book I just enjoyed the first story and all the other stories were okay I was the first story was big enough to fit into a whole book.
Andrea
This book is comprised of three short romances.

The 1st Lake od Dreams was about reincarnation, Love through the ages and about trusting in that love. It was a sweet yet sad story at the same time.

The 2nd Blue Moon was about a sheriff and a lonely woman who has special gifts. This story was also a sweet read.

The 3rd White Out was about a widow trusting herself with falling in love again and doubt about the man during a blizzard. It was funny and also sweet to read.

I liked all three stories an
Monty Cupcake
Just read "Lake of Dreams" and utterly hated it. Loathed it.

I can't do it. I can't read anymore of these after the first one. This is a DNF for me.
Melisa
Paling suka dengan Lake of Dreams. 3 bintang karena aku kurang suka dengan cerita-ceritanya yang lain. Tapi Lake of Dreams-nya favoritku bangeettt..
Kaila
I enjoyed the stories....the last one was my favorite. I enjoyed the storiea...only issue is they left me wondering what happens next
Carey Ford
All short stories...the 3rd was by far the best & deserves 5 stars, but the first 2 were more 3-4 stars. They were lacking a bit IMO
Emily
Sep 12, 2008 Emily rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: did-not-finish
I was in a silly mood yesterday. I went to the library and picked up one Linda Howard, one Nora Roberts, and one Danielle Steele. I've never read anything from any of them, and I thought I should know what it's all about.

I got to about page 14 of this book before I almost threw it across the room. Besides the bad writing (no characterization, absolutely unevocative sexual prose, stupid pronouns, boring sentences), there were at least three unforgivable errors in the first chapter. Linda Howard,
Alp

• Shadow Dance
  • Shadows at Sunset
  • Woman on the Run
  • Hurricane Bay
  • Colder than Ice (Mordecai Young, #2)
  • Heartthrob
  • Vanished
  • Truth or Dare (Whispering Springs, #2)
  • Out Of Control (McClouds & Friends #3)
  • Tell Me No Lies
  • Upon a Midnight Clear: The Teacher / Christmas Magic / Jolly Holly / If Only in My Dreams / White Out
  • Slow Burn (Buchanan-Renard, #5)

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance
More about Linda Howard...
Mr. Perfect After the Night Open Season Dream Man Mackenzie's Mountain (Mackenzie Family, #1)

“Pleasure was a siren, luring her to experience more” 8 likes