Greyfax Grimwald (Circle of Light, #1)

Greyfax Grimwald (Atlanton Earth)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Welcome to Atlanton Earth! Drawn together by an enchanted summons, three loyal friends-Bear, Dwarf, and Otter, bid farewell to their fair home in the kingdom of Lorini and embark on a magical journey to the fabled World Beyond Time, a place where glows the ageless Circle of Light. Along the way they meet many marvelous friends, including the mighty wizard Greyfax Grimwald....more
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published December 1st 1982 by Warner Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Greyfax Grimwald, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greyfax Grimwald

Terence
I remember reading this series in those halcyon days of youth 20 or 30 years ago (give or take 5 years) and being quite enchanted with it.

I tried rereading it about 10 years ago, I suppose, and somewhere the "magic" had disappeared. It just wasn't nearly as good as I remembered it, sadly.

But I'm still giving it three stars (I liked it) in memory of that 12-year-old kid who was ensorcelled.
MisterFweem
Fantasy is a difficult genre because so many readers come into it with preconceived notions, baggage from favorite and despised authors and other such stuff that generally keeps them from enjoying a good book if it doesn't really meet their expectations.

Greyfax Grimwald is probably one of the books that gest abused by the fantasy snobs. I admit Niel Hancock is no Tolkein, but then only Tolkein is Tolkein. It's a fairer thing to say that Hancock is no Terry Brooks; he's a few notches above Brooks...more
Kailey
I don't know what kind of crap this is, but it is absolutely unreadable! The sentence structure is appalling, and every decent rule of good writing is broken on every page. Apparently, this writer has never even heard of stuff that every writer learns (or should have learned) in 5th grade, like that you shouldn't use too many adjectives, and you shouldn't use the same adjective over and over.

"The delightful, soft, glowing movements of the sun..."

Three adjectives were necessary here?

"Leaving all...more
Talkswithwind
The first of four books. The jacket copy is rather purple, as this book is pitched in that clear 1970's way to people who liked Lord of the Rings, but wanted more in that vein. Neil Hancock is no Tolkein even though there are dwarfs and things.

Reading this book 30 years after publication, I can see what a 'hail mary' this was for the publishers. It was clearly an effort to feed a market started by LotR, but it sadly doesn't do that. It would have been far better pitched as a separate series unre...more
Kaethe
I've kept my copies of the set all these years, although I've not thought to re-read them. I suppose I'd better give them a look to see whether they're worth keeping.
Hannah
This book was great! This is the first in the Circle of Light series, and it has a world reminiscent of Lord of the Rings, but not so...two-legged, for lack of a more fun word. Animals play a bit more of a role from what I can tell. The main characters are a dwarf (short, skinny, and magical--a bit different from other dwarves), a bear (an ancient, powerful being who is always hungry), an otter (he's mostly fun and playful), and a couple of wizards who help them understand what's going on when t...more
Gabrielle
Read these as a child and loved them. Actually want to reread as an adult, so I can tell my daughter about them.
Jacinda Phillips
Bought this paperback book at a book sale, with it's 3 others in it's set for a full $1.00. Where has this been all my life and I've never heard of this series or author? Great high-fantasy story that I plowed through in one very lazy day. It's written for adults due to the complex concepts, but it made me feel like a little kid reading LOTR for the first time again. Wow. Can't wait to read the others.
Koeeoaddi
I bought 2 or 3 of this these books back in the 70s, thinking, cool, a big new fantasy series like Lord of the Rings. I got about 50 pages in and realized it was truly terrible. In fact, I think it was the first really bad book I bought for myself.

It became a family joke. For years every time I bought a new book Mr K would say, "So, you finish the Circle of Light yet?"
Richelle
I read this as a kid from a yellow-paged copy with a fingerprint-smudged cover. I loved it at the time, but it was probably the only fantasy book I had read at the time, with the exception of fairy tales and that lot. I suppose it wouldn't hold up well now, but I wanted to add it to my list. I mean, come on. One of the main characters was an otter. How can you go wrong?
Conor Lade
WOW. A let down. I guess the danger of being a pioneer (the book was written ages ago) is that you may be judged by more current standards. For its time, Greyfax Grinwald's characters and plot may have been just fine. It is not a bad book. It is just not up to par with today's standards... Like trying to review a telegrapgh system in the age of phones.
Rick
Read the series a long time ago and liked it. Tried reading it again a few years back but didn't even make it through the first book. It still rates a 3-star out of sentimentality...
Karen
Wow such a long time ago I must have liked them somewhat I read the series. I was about 18 years old then don't think I would enjoy this now, but was into that kind of book back then.
Tim
I read this ages ago. The series is simple and has a fairy tale sort of quality; talking animal characters and wicked queens and such.
Weirdly compelling despite my dislike of the genre when it has no sense of humour. Bought the boxed set and re-read it every 5 years or so.
Jerrie
Sep 15, 2013 Jerrie added it
Shelves: fantasy
Found this series in a box and decide to reread them to see if I wanted to keep them around
Rita
Enjoyable and unpredictable. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Rebecca Anderson
One of the books i liked as a kid where it painted a whole scene for me.
Ariel
Brilliant! Anyone who likes adventure will like this!
Pang
Dec 07, 2008 Pang added it
teamwork
Sarah Sayre
Sarah Sayre marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Matt Burke
Matt Burke is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Amanda Olson
Amanda Olson marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
R. Ward
R. Ward marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
  • The Northern Girl (Chronicles of Tornor, #3)
  • The Song of Rhiannon
  • Secret of the Sixth Magic (Magics, #2)
  • Hasan
  • Legends 1 (Legends 1, Volume 1of3)
  • Trey of Swords (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #6)
  • The Genesis Machine
  • The Tree of Swords and Jewels (Arafel, #2)
  • Song and Silence: A Guidebook to Bards and Rogues (Dungeon & Dragons d20 3.0 Fantasy Roleplaying)
  • Witch Way to the Mall
  • Exiles of the Rynth (Irissa and Kendric #2)
  • Monster Manual (Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition)
  • Surveillance (Intervention, #1)
  • The Catswold Portal
  • Beyond Apollo
  • Darksword Adventures
  • Behind the Walls of Terra (World of Tiers, # 4)
  • The Rover (#1)
Niel Hancock started out from the Panhandle of Texas in 1941, and was on the ground when the Sky Riders went down outside Roswell, New Mexico. Even as a lad, that tweaked his curiosity, and then they touched off the Atom Bomb at Trinity Site, which put him on the trail of the Road to the Sacred Mountain, young as he was.

He grew up in that wilderness, always looking for clues to the Mystery, then d...more
More about Niel Hancock...
Faragon Fairingay (Circle of Light, #2) Calix Stay (Circle of Light, #3) Squaring the Circle (Circle of Light, #4) Dragon Winter The Road to the Middle Islands (The Wilderness of Four, #4)