Start by marking “Gonville: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Gonville: A Memoir

Gonville: A Memoir

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In powerful and spirited prose, Peter Birkenhead recounts a childhood spent trying to make sense of his father, a terrifying, charismatic presence who brutalized his family physically and emotionally at the same time that he enchanted them with his passion and whimsy. An avid gun collector yet an anti-war activist, a popular economics professor and a wife-swapping nudist, ...more
Published March 2nd 2010 by Free Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Gonville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gonville

♦Jennifer♦
I won this on first reads.

The way Peter Birkenhead recounts his childhood is often portrayed in a humorous light. I often couldn't help but laugh outright when he is describing some of the things that happened to him throughout his life. Like how every morning,when he was a teenager, his father had him hold his feet while he did naked sit-ups.

The outrageous part of the book was the way his father beat his mother and brothers. How he regularly would turn something as mundane as a hotel forgetti
Christy Stewart
Actually funny and written well for a memoir (meaning it wasn't too self-serving)
engrossing and inspiring.
Steven
I recently won this book called "Gonville: A Memoir" by Peter Birkenhead from www.goodreads.com

Biographies are typically not my type of reading material- which would explain half of why I struggled to read this so slowly. The other half, the half I just realized, would be how it brings me back to my childhood.

This book tells the story of Peter's own personal childhood/adolescense (sp?), and adulthood. It kept eating away at my mind how would I write a review on someone's personal life? I can't
Kristina Jo
Favorite episode: The Squirrel Channels Rocky, pg. 225-226
Favorite quote: "You know, some people make a great contribution to the world, but most people, most people live their lives quietly, making their mark by the impact they have on those around them. Through their role as 'bearer of the torch,' by passing on humanity to their progeny." p. 245 (Thus, I feel, the essence of success.)

Conclusion: The squirrel makes it. Without the squirrel, I think I'd be a lot more dissatisfied, as most memoir
Leah
I won this book as a first reads give away. I generally like memoirs and I was expecting something similar to The Glass Castle...a description of a tough childhood. A memoir wouldn't be very exciting if there wasn't some challenge to overcome. This is basically what I got with this book, a description of a crazy (probably clinically) dad and how his behavior affected his children. The beginning was tough to follow though and it really took me a long time to get interested in this book. I feel li ...more
Beverly Hollandbeck
Another memoir from a child of an abusive father. Sadly, so many of these have been written. This one was interesting. This son managed to continue a relationship with his father, in spite of the terror his father created during the son's childhood.
Sally Anne
Look, this book is not great enduring literature, but it is a hell of a good read, almost as funny as David Sedaris, with more depth. I gave it five stars because it was a total sleeper. i was picking up about 8 books I had on hold when, with arms loaded, I this one jumped out of the new book section at me. Very glad I read it.
Karen
This book had some interesting stories, and it did keep me engaged, but it seemed to me to lack some continuity among chapters. There was no overarching thing to me. But if you're looking for a few disjointed stories about a dysfunctional family, this is a good one!
Nikki Dore Parker
I had a hard time in the beginning of this book, but once I got past the first 3 chapters - I was hooked.
Gonville is about a boy coming to terms about his cruel and unusual father. He adds some humor when relating stories of dysfunctional family.
Katie
"I wish so bad that you were all bad instead of almost good"

I loved this book because it might as well have been the story of my life and my father. I found myself laughing and crying. I did not want this book to end!
Carol
I found this fascinating 'though it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. Story of a violent nontheless charming and charismatic father; the confusion of a child growing up with this. wonderfully written.
Emily
I must admit some bias being cousins with the author but I am riveted to this memoir! Can't wait for it to hit the streets next week.
Bruce
Reading a memoir, even a weird one like this, makes me want to write my own, for the benefit of my grandchildren, perhaps.
Clif Smith
An unusual life to be sure, but it really got repetitive and uneventful in the latter chapters.
Lynn
Well written memoir. Enjoyed it very much. Can't imaging growing up with such a horrible father.
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Mickenzie Jensen
Mickenzie Jensen marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Don Perez
Don Perez marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
  • Step Out on Nothing: How Faith and Family Helped Me Conquer Life's Challenges
  • Hack: How I Stopped Worrying About What to Do with My Life and Started Driving a Yellow Cab
  • Hillel: If Not Now, When?
  • How to Get Divorced by 30: My Misguided Attempt at a Starter Marriage
  • Another Life Altogether
  • Guest House
  • The Sound of No Hands Clapping
  • The Long Snapper: A Second Chance, a Super Bowl, a Lesson for Life
  • Don't Shoot: One Man, A Street Fellowship, and the End of Violence in Inner-City America
  • The Very Little Princess
  • Mania
3319019
Peter Birkenhead is the author of GONVILLE: A Memoir (Free Press) He is a regular contributor to Salon.com, where he writes personal essays and cultural criticism. An essay about Oprah's endorsement of The Secret was the most-read piece on the site in 2007. He's also a regular contributor to Marie Claire Magazine, and has written for GQ, The Los Angeles Times, The Chicago Tribune and other publica ...more
More about Peter Birkenhead...

“There is no distance greater than the thickness of a human skull."

2000 Miles for Dinner, Marie Claire”
3 likes