Start by marking “The Bridge” as Want to Read:
The Bridge

The Bridge

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  392 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Paradise is a small industrial city in Pennsylvania that's about to become Ground Zero for the end of the world. For far too long, we've been poisoning the planet with toxic waste. Not any more. This morning something finally woke up in Paradise. It's intelligent, virulent and ambitious. It's everywhere, in the water we drink, the air we breathe. And it won't be satisfied ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 351 pages
Published May 1st 2010 by Leisure Books (first published September 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bridge

Marvin
Take one part Rachel Carson's Silent Spring, stir in about 20 of those creepy "radioactive creatures take over the world" B-movies from the 50s, add a George Romeo Living Dead screenplay, then pour it over a typical American small town sprinkled with local cops, struggling TV news reporters, corrupt businessmen and a few mutant rednecks and you have Skipp and Spector's The Bridge. There have been environmental horror novels before this 1991 pot-boiler but I sure there were none more disgusting a ...more
S.P. Durnin
This is one of the most disturbing novels out there. It scared the living crap out of me. Being a fan (and now author) of zombie fiction, that's saying a lot. BRAVO!!!
Yael
This is one of the most disturbing -- and therefore horribly delightful (delightfully horrifying?) -- novels I've ever read. A novelized polemic on the perils of pollution, it's the story of a bridge next to a town with a less-than-honorable sanitation crew who routinely dump hazardous waste of all kinds below the bridge, where it is hidden from view by cliffs rising up from the water. In the grand old tradition of Them!, eventually all that poison begins transmuting the local wildlife and then ...more
Monster
This recently re-issued horror classic is most easily described as Rachel Carson's Silent Spring polluted by George Romero's The Crazies. The Bridge is right up there with the eco-horror-science fiction classic The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner and the more recent Demons by John Shirley in the manner in which it combines the reality of pollution and environmental destruction with downright scary horror. At the time The Bridge was written, John Skipp and Craig Spector were the ultimate splatterp ...more
Ms. Nikki
Wow. And not in a good way. I guess the authors want you to know what happens when you pollute. Reminiscent of Return of the Living Dead (with the sludge, but without the zombies...or not) and a couple of other titles (possible B titles), made this read a jumble of nothing-ness. There was no dread, no fear, and really not even a gross-out moment. I'm seriously disappointed~
Mark R.
Eco-terror abounds in "The Bridge," by John Skipp and Craig Spector. A small town councilman has been overseeing the dumping of toxic waste. Dump it in the creek, it goes away on its own and no one ever hears of it again, right? Not so, when the toxic sludge mixes with Mother Nature and produces a massive threat that assaults the town. The grimy stuff attaches itself to whatever it comes across, biological or otherwise, and incorporates it into its mass.

Sometimes this toxic goo reminded me of "T
Linda Kendall-thompson
Apocalyptic Horror of Man's Own Making

Didn't give you a character to fully connect, empathize so when The End was happening, it didn't emotionally affect me. All was descriptive horror, disjointed and hopeless.

Also bugged me that the authors,when writing about the Sunday morning religious rituals, included Seventh Day Adventists as a Sunday meeting congregation. My father was a Jaycee and active members are all under 40 yrs of age; whereas, the authors described 50+ year old good ole boys parti
David Agranoff
This recently re-issued horror classic is a most easily described as Rachel Carson's Silent Spring if it was polluted by George Romero's the Crazies. Right up there with the eco-horror-science fiction classic the Sheep Look Up (John Brunner) or the more recent Demons by John Shirley for combining the reality of pollution and environmental destruction with a down right scary horror novel. If you don't know John Skipp and Craig Spector maybe I should back up. These two men were the ultimate splatt ...more
Robert Beveridge
John Skipp and Craig Spector, The Bridge (Bantam, 1991)

Skipp and Spector wrote seven novels together, of which The Bridge is the sixth. The first five are inconsistent, but pretty bang-up thrill rides all the same. When they started on the downhill slide, they started steep.

The premise is pretty simple and very well-used in the atomic age: a whole bunch of toxic waste that's been dumped in one particular site starts mutating things and eventually takes on a will of its own. Hard to go wrong with
Donald
Oct 24, 2010 Donald rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
These guys put the splatter in splatter-punk. It sounds like a cheap throwaway to write about the gross out, the guts, and the splatter. But to make the reader squirm, feel the gush, and swallow a dry lump is something of an artform.

The premise is simple really. Barrels and barrels of 'stuff' have been getting tossed off a bridge for some time now.
And things begin taking on a life of their own.
The sludge oozes like Frank Zappa warned us about.
The plant life becomes animated by the ooze.
Even the
Kaisersoze
Knowing nothing about the writing duo of Skipp and Spector before I went into this novel meant I wasn't at all ready for what I got. I had no idea they were considered the kings of splatterpunk in the '80s; I just thought I was reading an ahead-of-its-time novel about an environmental disaster. Sure, I envisioned it to be a horrific environmental disaster, but one involving a living, thinking entity that somehow came out of the illegal dumping of hazardous waste into a river? That threw me.

If yo
Mark Brown
A deliriously savage and cautionary tale about the poisoning of the planet. It has taken me too long to discover this seminal "splatterpunk" novel.
S. Noël
Why do so many authors insist on presenting their works in Cartland sentences? Are they just lazy or don't they know better?

Instead of composing paragraphs to build their ideas, certain writers tell their stories in two-to- three sentence bits. I call these Cartland sentences, after Barbara Cartland, the horrible romance writer who invented them.

They drive me insane.

Here is an example of a book to which I would have given four stars if not for the bleeping Cartland sentences. It had some good id
Tyrell Warner
John Skipp outdoes himself again with a work very much like "The Scream" which he did with Craigg Spektor.

Seemingly even more brutal and insane than other works by the same author, this book also has the added benefit of having a very realistic environmentalist message- even listing certain environmentalist groups as a forethought in the last few pages of the book.

Chemically mutated zombie-like freakish enemies aside the novel is essentially a severely amped-up science fiction apocalypse work on
Amber Hinkle
I gotta say, I love the way these guys write... Too bad they haven't put anything out in quite a while. This was another good book, but I couldn't get into as much as I did Animals (in case you didn't read my review on THAT ONE, best werewolf book ever!). Anyway, this is an end of the world book which is caused completely by us humans poisoning it. It was well written, and was a good story. My only issue with it was there are a lot of different characters in it and it was hard to keep track of w ...more
Tim
is this classic splatter punk? The plot was contrived, there was no natural arc for the story, just point A to point B with a few stops along the way only to introduce characters you wont care about and may die in just a few pages anyway. Having said that Skipp and Spector have a great ability to bring violence and mayhem to life on the page. A few great gore bits and mass destruction on spectacular scale saved this from being a trow away read... don't expect great characterization but what you ...more
Tom
Love, love, love this book! A dark cautionary tale about how we are treating the environment wrapped up in a deliciously thick layer of chaos and bats**t insanity. It makes you laugh and then punches you in the gut while you are caught off guard. I really wish I'd gotten the musical soundtrack for the book I'd ordered through mail. Unfortunately, it never arrived (likely due to my being in the military and having a change of bases before the soundtrack arrived in the mail. At least I have a flex ...more
Mary Whidden
Could be what happens if humankind doesn't change their ways towards mother earth.
Jeff Miller
A bit dated as an environmental horror novel, but it has some nice scary moments. Picked up as a $1.99 Kindle deal.

There was one major theological error. A Lutheran character thinking about transubstantiation when in fact Lutherans deny transubstantiation and affirm consubstantiation. For Lutherans the elements coexist the body and blood of Christ. Not a big deal to the plot, although the thinking behind the theology behind transubstantiation is used later as a point of reference.
11811 (Eleven)
I recognize the skill of these two writers and would like to read them again but this particular novel didn't do it for me. I hate agenda driven horror, especially when it's so ridiculously blatant as in "we're a bunch of litterbugs and we're gonna pay when our garbage fights back!!!

There was also an abuse of italics throughout the novel that was a little distracting. I've never seen italics used so much in one book.
Alejandro
Skipp & Spector's last novel, though high-minded and noble in its intention, left me a little bit cold. I couldn't really get behind any of the characters, and I think the monster, though interesting and original, was left a little too much in the dark for too long. Will this drive me away from their work in general? Not at all, but I can say that "A Light at the End" is still definitely my favorite work of theirs.
Kristi
It's very unusual for me not to like a book, but this is the exception. I thought the plot was laughable, the characters were weak and to call the book a horror is ridiculous. Aa underwater toxic dump site comes to life and what? Turns into what? Don't even ask, it's not worth mentioning. I kept hoping this story would get better up until the end, but it never did. Major disappointment.
Barry
John Skipp once signed this book to me. Between the printed text and his message, it said, "Barry-- The Bridge is by John Skipp & Craig Spector and I hope it F*CKS YOU UP!! Sincerely, Skipp."

He got his wish.

Absurd, nasty, silly, grisly, groan-worthy...and pretty damn well written, too. Now let's never speak of it again. *SHUDDER*
Stephanie Rabig
Philip
The best of the best of the best. This was my third time reading Skipp & Spector's The Bridge and it remains one of the best horror novels of all time. This classic 80's splatterpunk novel belongs on the shelf of every true horror fan.
K.K.
Feb 27, 2008 K.K. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Probably the scariest book in existence, THE BRIDGE is not only a classic modern horror novel, but a clarion call to environmental action...steps we're only taking now, unfortunately, but at least we're taking them.
Doug Allison
for my money, the scariest thing that sirs Skipp and Spector collaborated on. absolutely terrifying at times, and there's no happy ending here folks. the best eco-horror novel ever, possibly?
Stephen Wakefield
Visceral fun - do not approach with a need to overthink; just sit back and enjoy the bloody chaos and frankly bizarre imagery.
Tanya
Couldn't finish it. There were too many people, none of whom I cared about. The plot just didn't hold me
Charles
Very good horror from this team of writers. I was sorry when they stopped writing together.
  • Stranger
  • The Pines
  • Coffin County
  • Dust
  • The Academy
  • House Infernal (City Infernal, #3)
  • The Pumpkin Man
  • Writer of the Purple Rage
  • Urban Gothic
  • Dweller
  • Ghoul  (Special X, #2)
Book of the Dead The Light at the End Zombies: Encounters with the Hungry Dead The Long Last Call The Scream