Start by marking “The Physics of Baseball” as Want to Read:
The Physics of Baseball

The Physics of Baseball

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  290 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Blending scientific fact and sports trivia, Robert Adair examines what a baseball or player in motion does-and why. How fast can a batted ball go? What effect do stitch patterns have on wind resistance? How far does a curve ball break? Who reaches first base faster after a bunt, a right- or left-handed batter? The answers are often surprising -- and always illuminating.

Thi
Paperback, Expanded Third Edition, 192 pages
Published May 7th 2002 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Physics of Baseball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Physics of Baseball

Moneyball by Michael LewisBall Four by Jim BoutonThe Boys of Summer by Roger KahnShoeless Joe by W.P. KinsellaThe Natural by Bernard Malamud
Best Baseball Books
44th out of 420 books — 436 voters
The Glory of Their Times  by Lawrence S. RitterThe Gashouse Gang by John HeidenryThe Boys of Summer by Roger KahnShoeless Joe by W.P. KinsellaBaseball, 3rd Ed. by Benjamin G. Rader
Ten Best Books on America's Pastime
18th out of 19 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Tim
I read this when I was a kid (of course I did, because it perfectly combined two of my geeky obsessions) but I suspect a fair fraction flew over my head. Now, having studied quite a lot more physics, I can see that it's not really meant to be a popular treatment of the subject, so much as it is a first draft to a thorough technical analysis. As a result, it can be an intimidating read for layfolk, but also a fairly accurate window into how professional physicists attack new research problems.

Th
Larry Hostetler
Would have given it 3.5 if allowed.

Definitely a learned exposition about the physics of baseball. Just enough application and illustration from baseball to keep me reading it even when I got lost in computations and physics formulae.

I was glad to read the physics behind the curve ball and other pitches (like the knuckleball).

Things I learned: a curveball thrown at 70 mph with a normal rpm of 1600 "curves" (the physics term is deflection) of 14.4 inches, most of it in the last 15 feet before c
Valerie
Excellent, of course!
Cj Saxe
The novel The Physics of Baseball Is about physicist Robert K. Adair and his experiment into finding the motions of a baseball during a baseball game. The novel mentions three particular motions during the game of baseball. The first motion is hitting, which is about when to swing the bat to hit the ball to different parts of the field.
The second motion is pitching,which is when the pitcher throws the ball to the batter. The final motion is fielding,after the batter makes contact with the bal
David
The Physics of Baseball is about what it sounds like: physics, as applied to baseball, and how it affects the game. It should be pretty obvious from the title whether this would appeal to you. There's no real surprise here.

The book starts with a model for the flight of the ball through the air, then covers batting (including biology: how batters perceive incoming pitches and make decisions based on them, and how far a ball can go), pitching (including various types of pitches, how they're used,
Tiffany
When I'd gotten a good chunk of the way into this book, I checked to see what other Goodreaders said about it. It seemed like everybody thought it was wonderful, and I wondered if maybe I was on crack, because I didn't like it. Now that I've finished it, and still didn't find it any better, I looked at the reviews again and this time saw a few 2-star ratings. Okay, I'm not the only one. But when I looked at *why* people gave it 2 stars, I felt like a loner again -- most of the reviews that I qui ...more
Jason
Forthcoming, but I love this book and would recommend it to anyone who ever played the game and continued to enjoy it in spite of its implicate ego-adjustments in the downward direction. No need to grasp the physics equations per se as the author lays them down between wonderful explanations. It's another ash tent post in a defense of a guilty pleasure.
Kent
This was a gift from Jacki years ago. It is a physics textbook, at least in the early going. However, I have a new policy that I will finish a book that I start, no matter how long, boring or tough.

We'll see if he ever talks about baseball and stops talking about Magnus forces and Navier-Stokes differential equations to describe fluid flow around a curving baseball.

Nope, it never really talked about anything but physics. It needed more humor, more anecdotes or more theoretical scenarios where th
Thom
The author does physics modeling right, always conscious of error, weighing the statements of the players themselves. Near the end he dips into statistics, and for that I'd rather read Bill James.

A thorough discussion of several topics for pitching and hitting. The difference stitching makes on pitched and batted balls. Solid reasons why the singles hitter has a high average and the power hitter doesn't. Ends up just dipping into altered (corked) bats; would love to read more modern research int
Randal
Jun 20, 2013 Randal rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any baseball fan
Shelves: nonfiction, baseball
A slim, fairly technical read, this book lets you cast a scientific eye over many baseball discussions (e.g. "rising fastball" = myth).
Some of the proofs, like the discussion about curveballs, have since been largely superseded by high-speed digital photography (the .gif of Yu Darvish throwing five pitches with one motion is mind-blowing.)
But it's still one of the most original books on baseball in the past 30 years and deserves a spot on any serious fan's bookshelf.
Ben
It is pretty much what the title says--a look at the physics behind baseball. It's interesting, but not quite as accessible as I think the author intended. At least, it was a bit challenging for me. But that could just be me. Also, he devotes a majority of the time to batting, and the physics of batting, which is interesting, but spends less time on pitching, which is the part I found more interesting. Or at least wanted more insight into.
Hillary
Cant say there was anything in this book I didnt already know about physics. Even if I didnt have a degree in physics the book would have been really basic reading. And after all the reading and the questions I was looking forward to having answers to the book never concluded anything. The Myth Busters baseball special (while flawed itself) was more informative.
Bilgewater
This was a very easy read - I read it in about an hour at the bookstore and was surprised to find it was quite interesting. Like baseball? Like Physics? Then this is your book to read in your hammock wearing nothing but boxer shorts and sipping an umbrella drink. You will feel smarter after reading it; promise.
Justin
It was too flippant about the baseball and the physics, and confused "few words" with "explained for novices" too often. I'd be more interested in seeing some of these arguments extended, and in seeing them done more fully (ie, a look at the drop in a curveball, and not just the horizontal movement).
Marlon
I got this book from one of my roommates in college. As you would expect from the title, it's a different and interesting way of looking at baseball, strictly from the physics sense. If you're interested in the "underground science" of baseball, then this book is for you.
Jack
Perfect elasticity, 10% effect of Coors Field and 20/15 vision to pick up the bite of a curve. All things that are possible for some, but thought experiments for me, brought to life by this book.
Ryan Dilbert
It takes a specific kind of nerd to enjoy this (e.g. me) Someone who is into baseball and thinks reading about air resistance and drag forces and the flight paths of curveballs is interesting.
Claire S
Maybe will have this be my first getting-back-into-Physics-for-first-time book, now that my daughter is approaching a year of it.. Since I sorta like baseball also.
Adam
This book is worthwhile but a little too hard for me to understand. Written by a physicist who got interested in baseball by trying to see how the sport works.
Kathy
Jun 28, 2007 Kathy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: science and baseball fans.
I started out as a physics major in college, so this book was a natural for me. Warning -- if you didn't like science in school, this probably isn't the book for you.
carl  theaker

One of those books you get for your birthday because you're a baseball fan.
A good one to delve into the mathematics of the game.
Jim
this bored the hell out of me. i wish that wasn't true because i love both baseball and physics but... it is what it is.
Camden Drash
Too wordy. I wanted diagrams, charts, etc. Not all that fun to read if you don't have a strong physics background.
Osborneinri
Interesting science, but it can't explain the beauty of a well-executed hit and run or why I could never hit a slider.
David
Read this during a summer in which I attended several Pittsburgh Pirates games at the new PNC Park.
Pangs
The title says it all. Interesting stuff. I still need to read the last few chapters.
Pjtibbetts
If you like baseball and are not daunted by some basic physics, go for it.
Dave
Some parts of this book are really interesting. Others make for slow reading.
Grant
Super-nerdy, fascinating account of why baseball is the way it is. Great.
  • Nine Innings: The Anatomy of a Baseball Game
  • Only the Ball Was White: A History of Legendary Black Players and All-Black Professional Teams
  • Game Time: A Baseball Companion
  • The Numbers Game: Baseball's Lifelong Fascination with Statistics
  • The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball
  • Baseball
  • The Last Best League: One Summer, One Season, One Dream
  • Veeck--As In Wreck: The Autobiography of Bill Veeck
  • Sixty Feet, Six Inches: A Hall of Fame Pitcher & a Hall of Fame Hitter Talk About How the Game Is Played
  • Bunts: Curt Flood, Camden Yards, Pete Rose, and Other Reflections on Baseball
  • My Turn at Bat: The Story of My Life
  • I Was Right On Time
  • Are We Winning? Fathers and Sons in the New Golden Age of Baseball
  • The Old Ball Game: How John McGraw, Christy Mathewson, and the New York Giants Created Modern Baseball
  • The Glory of Their Times : The Story of the Early Days of Baseball Told By the Men Who Played It
  • Jackie Robinson: A Biography
  • The Bronx Zoo: The Astonishing Inside Story of the 1978 World Champion New York Yankees
  • The Big Bam: The Life and Times of Babe Ruth
The Great Design: Particles, Fields, and Creation The Physics of Baseball: Third Edition, Revised, Updated, and Expanded