Start by marking “Lady Gaga: Behind The Fame” as Want to Read:
Lady Gaga: Behind The Fame

Lady Gaga: Behind The Fame

Queen of Pop, superstar, maverick and fashionista; Lady Gaga is one of the most recognisable and sensational pop stars for a generation. A true original, Gaga found fame the hard way, playing the grimy bars and burlesque shows of New York City, before finally relocating to Los Angeles to begin work on what would become her debut album The Fame. Constantly en vogue and alwa ...more
Published March 9th 2010 by The Overlook Press (first published February 1st 2010)

Sherri
Mar 22, 2010 Sherri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-book-list, i-own
Lady Gaga's music has been played a lot in my house. I love her music. This book was a great insight to this strange and very talented woman. It goes from her childhood through her Bad Romance single and meeting the Queen of England. It was nice to see what the story is behind why Lady Gaga does and why she dresses the way she does. She is truely an amazing artist that I hope will be around for a long time, and since she writes her own music it makes her all the more unique!
Forrest
Aug 27, 2010 Forrest rated it liked it
Yeah, I'm a Lady Gaga fan, but this book was choppily put together by piecing interviews and such together. The book informed me of a lot and gave me some good background into Lady Gaga's life, but the interview pieces really screwed up the flow of the book. Overall, I would never re-read this for the writing and wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you are a fan of Lady Gaga. Then you can say you read it.
Bella
Jan 30, 2015 Bella rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently rediscovered this biography on my shelf that I got as a gift years ago when was a mega-fan of Lady Gaga (considerably, I confess I still am), however I never really quite got into a habit of reading until I grew out of the mega-fan phase. So for old times sake, I began to read the whole biography in one sitting.

There was nothing in this book that I didn't already know about the rise and success of Lady Gaga's early career, having been part of the 'little monster' fan-group during the
Heidi
Mar 23, 2010 Heidi rated it it was ok
Based solely on literary style(not on the fact that I like Lady Gaga), this book was mediocre. The author repeats herself many, many times making this short read a bit of a snoozefest. The book is packed with plenty of pictures which doesn't make up for, but certainly distracts from the repetitiveness.
Rachel
Mar 28, 2010 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gaga fans: if you can be bothered.
if you're a gaga fan it tells you what you already know. and seeing as she's a relatively new talent, there isn't much to know. focused on her life in the spotlight; her eccentricity and talent. gives little background on her life before fame came knocking. it gives you a good snippet but nothing fantastic. i also didn't really enjoy the writer's style and her lack of originality.
Julia Batchelder
Apr 26, 2010 Julia Batchelder is currently reading it
I love Lady Gaga!!!!
rani
Apr 09, 2010 rani rated it it was amazing
I feel like Lady Gaga has tooken over my lfe cause i <3 her so much!
I can't remember the concept of this book so fasssssssst!
Tobias
Jan 27, 2015 Tobias rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Herbert has produced what will no doubt be one of the many biographies about Lady Gaga that will appear over the course of her career. Spread over two hundred and sixty something pages, she recounts Lady Gaga's past twenty four years into an informative tome of biographical data, wordy description and scarily un-sourced sound bites from Gaga's various interviews over the last sixteen months or so.

As a fan, most of these quotes are familiar and doesn't really add to anything I didn't already know
Pooch Parsons
Dec 10, 2013 Pooch Parsons rated it really liked it
Lady GaGa may be outrageously dressed and her performances may shock and awe. Whether you enjoy her or not, keep in mind that she is both an artist and a fan of art. This book completely changed the way I see Mother Monster as an artist. Everything she does, says, and wears seems to have some sort of underlying meaning, symbolism, or inside joke, all of which adds depth to her work. Her teacup, videos, stage antics, costumes, the fact that she can sing and dance while in heels and not miss a not ...more
Patricia
Nov 20, 2011 Patricia rated it liked it
I really enjoyed reading this biography about Lady Gaga because I felt it was one of the best books that really tell you about Stefani Germanotta and her life as a catholic student. This bio was very well written and just the pictures alone are great. This doesn't go very in to detail in her love story and doesn't really go into detail how she goes from being the catholic student to a pop star. It also says a lot of her quotes and parts of interviews. This biography focuses a lot on how shes a w ...more
Viky S. Deneault
I don't feel like you can get much more information about Lady Gaga's life by reading this book. What I mean by that is that you can get most if not all the information in this book on the internet and the author added a few pictures in the middle. A quick read I would recomend for people who have no clue about where Lady Gaga comes from.
Elle B
Nov 23, 2015 Elle B rated it did not like it
Meh. Put it down less than 1/2 way through. Not going to bother to finish it.

I am quite a fan of Lady Gaga and her music, but the trajectory of "born with great musical talent into wealth in NYC, private schooled, did a bit of drugs but nothing bad happened, became a superstar" - doesn't make for particularly enthralling reading.

Roxanne
Feb 29, 2016 Roxanne rated it really liked it
This is a really good book. i have always admired her talent but could never understand her fashion sense. But this at the Academy Awards the song she sang about abuse blew my mind and the song won.
Candace
Lame bio that basically rehashes what little is known about Lady Gaga and her rise to fame. Style more than a bit breathless and gushing. This is best suited to the reader who just has to know whatever there is to know about Stefani Germanotta.
Ashley
Aug 19, 2013 Ashley rated it it was amazing
This book was very interesting and detailed about Gaga's life. Lady Gaga's life has always interested me, especially how she became famous. The Fame is what made Gaga famous and where she is now. This book is something I would recommend to other fans of Lady Gaga.
Rebecca
Jun 29, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this biography of lady gaga and would recommend it to and lady gaga fans. It really gets under the skin of lady gaga and I learnt a lot of things about her that I didn't know. Well worth a read
Kat
Sep 16, 2015 Kat rated it really liked it
Somewhat informative. It definitely feels as if the author is a fan. It's written like a fan who found some background on her and wrote this book. Not the best biography I've read. It did stir up some of my Gaga enthusiasm.
Tara Brabazon
Mar 20, 2011 Tara Brabazon rated it it was ok
Not great. This is a very basic pop biography. The best parts of it are the statements by Lady Gaga herself. But a very basic book and a very low level of interpretation.
Stefani
Aug 06, 2010 Stefani rated it it was amazing
I'v learned SOOO much about her I could only question. Thought A was Gaga myself! I understand everything, It clear, and I just love this book cuz it's GAGA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Desiree
It's very interesiting and you learn a lot about her ,she even likes the F-Bomb.I'm not done reading it yet but the picyures are also really interesting too!! :)
#1 Litte
love it
Richie Kelly
Oct 20, 2010 Richie Kelly rated it it was amazing
a really good biography, actually.
Max
Nov 29, 2010 Max rated it it was amazing
Loved it just because its well GAGA!!!!
Andre
Jun 21, 2011 Andre rated it did not like it
Shelves: biographies
I love Gaga, but this book felt like a waste of time. Seems more like a collection of tabloid articles than a biography.
Laura Lynn Foster
Feb 28, 2016 Laura Lynn Foster rated it liked it
A good read, I especially liked reading about her earlier years before she was famous.
Sami Priest
It was awesome.
Marleyashlyn
I thought it was a goood book and maybe i will read it again when i get time:)
Benjamin Zabin
Apr 12, 2011 Benjamin Zabin rated it really liked it
This book told the inside story of Lady Gaga. I learned so much about the crazy popstar who isn't crazy at all. I learned that she actually has a facinating life behind her "Poker Face"
Aesha☆
Aesha☆ rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2010
Helenmargareta
Helenmargareta rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
2nd Period Langua...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Janelle Book 3 5 6 May 15, 2014 02:08PM
  • Lady Gaga: The Fame music book
  • Lady Gaga: Critical Mass Fashion
  • Lady Gaga: Just Dance: The Biography
  • Lady Gaga
  • Nixon's Darkest Secrets: The Inside Story of America's Most Troubled President
  • Revival: The Struggle for Survival Inside the Obama White House
  • Beyond Peace
  • Being a Teen: Everything Teen Girls & Boys Should Know About Relationships, Sex, Love, Health, Identity & More
  • A Christmas Carol (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Audacity to Win: How Obama Won and How We Can Beat the Party of Limbaugh, Beck, and Palin
  • The Age of McCarthyism: A Brief History with Documents
  • Preserving Memory: The Struggle to Create America's Holocaust Museum
  • Disunion: Modern Historians Revisit and Reconsider the Civil War from Lincoln's Election to the Emancipation Proclamation
  • The Climate War