Start by marking “The Battle of Okinawa: The Blood and the Bomb” as Want to Read:
The Battle of Okinawa: The Blood and the Bomb

The Battle of Okinawa: The Blood and the Bomb

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A landmark text on the greatest land battle of the Pacific War.
Published August 1st 2001 by Lyons Press

To ask other readers questions about The Battle of Okinawa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Battle of Okinawa

Jan
May 15, 2016 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clash-of-carnies
A definitive book on the horrific Battle of Okinawa which was fought from April to June, 1945. My dad fought in this battle and was surprised that he survived. He didn't speak much about it, but I believe it haunted him his whole life.

George Feifer carefully researched the book. this is a nonfiction, and he presents this battle from the viewpoint of a group of people who participated in the fray, including American marines, Japanese, soldiers, and Okinawan villagers. He begins each chapter with
Joshua Greer
Jul 07, 2014 Joshua Greer rated it really liked it
An extremely detailed and exhaustively researched book about the islands before the battle, the causes leading to Pearl Harbor and the eventual battle on Okinawa, the end of the war, and the aftermath.

I've read several books about The Battle of Okinawa; some written from the 10,000' perspective of generals and some written from the perspective of infantry privates, this book combines those perspectives into the most complete narrative I've seen about the battle. It's difficult to read at times;
Drew Tucker
May 27, 2014 Drew Tucker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was Pretty good. Really a 3.5 rounded up to 4 due to GR rating system (please allow for .5s! it would really help me) ANyways--I appreciated the focus on individual stories as examples of general experiences (great new historical approach). I also enjoyed the social and cultural history, and the psychology of WWII Japanese society and military indoctrination. The Chronicling of the circumstances the soldiers lived in, and the progression of the general battle from line to line was great. Howe ...more
Daniel
Jan 26, 2014 Daniel rated it really liked it
While Stationed in Okinawa in the early 2000's I new the impact and context of this battle, but not until
I read this book did it really sink in. This book describes in great detail the scale and intensity that had been
fought on this island that eventually led to the bomb. It describes the buildup, origin for the geography of the battle, and inside look at individuals before and after the invasion.
Carlos
Jul 23, 2012 Carlos rated it really liked it
This is probably the best coverage I have read about each group involved and/or affected by this battle. Thoroughly covers Allied and Japanese preparations, along with great insight into the lives of individuals on all sides of the war. Surprising numbers of Allied ships, manpower and logistics to make this battle a reality. The only disappointment was limited detail coverage of some of the 1st Marine Division Regiments action. After reading this story, I certainly understand why President Truma ...more
Rob
Aug 19, 2014 Rob rated it really liked it
Shelves: military
This is a long book, a detailed book, but an excellent book. Feiffer provides details not only on the battle and tactics, but includes perspective and information from the US, Japanese, and native Okinawan sides of the battle. I appreciated his use of quotes and personal journal of the soldiers to provide a true sense of thinking of the combatants.

Feifer provides a brief history of Okinawa, thoroughly recounts the battle and its bloody toll, and explains it's impact on the decision making after
Akira Kanei
Mar 10, 2016 Akira Kanei rated it really liked it
extremely and nice details
Jonathan
A spotty and incomplete narrative of the campaign, smothered in great gobs of liberal guilt. While the author is justified to spotlight the sufferings of the civilian population of Okinawa, he has, in turn, made the USA the principle villain of the story. The story of the battle itself is impressionistic and over-stuffed with PC/New History "experiences." If you're looking for a good place to really learn about the campaign of Okinawa, look elsewhere. The single map is inadequate.
Adam Gutschenritter
Mar 31, 2016 Adam Gutschenritter rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
A great overview of the battle. I loved that he sought to understand the psychological reasons why troops acted the ways that they did on both sides. But what makes this book truly useful is his attempted thoughts on the atomic bomb at the end of the book in light of the fighting that went on in Okinawa.
Pete Vlahakis
Mar 06, 2015 Pete Vlahakis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Hmmm, haven't read yet but rated high for anticipation. Have done a ton of reading and almost each source mentions this book. Saving it for a thorough read, as supposedly this and war with mercy are the two definitive books.
Scarlet
Scarlet marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Sweetwilliam
Sweetwilliam marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Stephen Boiko
Stephen Boiko marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Barry Sierer
Barry Sierer rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Jonathan Pieri
Jonathan Pieri marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Erickscott
Erickscott marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Kel
Kel added it
Feb 26, 2016
Mishka
Mishka marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Andy Villanueva III
Andy Villanueva III marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Adrian
Adrian rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Dominic Howarth
Dominic Howarth rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2015
Bahar Tahamtani
Bahar Tahamtani marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
Siyawosh Tahamtani
Siyawosh Tahamtani rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2015