Start by marking “Baja Oklahoma” as Want to Read:
Baja Oklahoma

Baja Oklahoma

Dan Jenkins' second best-known novel, Baja Oklahoma, features protagonist Juanita Hutchins, who can cuss and politically commentate with the best of Jenkins' male protagonists. Still convincingly female, though in no way dumb and girly, fortyish Juanita serves drinks to the colorful crew patronizing Herb's Cafe in South Fort Worth, worries herself sick over a hot-to-trot d ...more
Published April 20th 2010 by Texas Christian University Press (first published August 2nd 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Baja Oklahoma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baja Oklahoma

Tony
Jan 07, 2015 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music, u-s-lit
This is my 'fluff' and I love it.
Alec
Jan 10, 2011 Alec rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Shorty drank Lone Star beer, starting at breakfast. By being among the living, Shorty offered a convincing argument that the best cure for a hangover was getting drunk again."

That line cracked me up, much like the rest of this hilarious Dan Jenkins book. Baja Oklahoma is about barmaid and would-be songwriter Juanita Hutchins and the crass yet comical group of patrons who frequent her place of employ, Herb's Cafe. Juanita is exactly the kind of bartender I dream of, yet will never meet because G
Cathi95
Jul 13, 2014 Cathi95 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
(Fiction 1981) Saw the TV version several years ago, guess I bought the book too. I liked the movie better, I think. Juanita Hutchins works at a cafe, has a grown daughter who makes interesting life choices, and Juanita wants to be a country song writer. Her life is filled with work, friends, relationships, and music. It was an interesting slice of life from that era compared to today's life. Worth reading once.
Bob
Dec 01, 2014 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
If you are a Texan and remember the days when the Southwest Conference existed, then this is a "must read." Must admit, reading Jenkins' book brought back old memories...memories that have been buried in my past until Baja Oklahoma resurrected them.
Sharon Anne Beers
Feb 17, 2016 Sharon Anne Beers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dan Jenkins, humor, politically incorrect.
Jason
Feb 03, 2013 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Country music doesn't do much for me, but the cheerful bleakness of this style of humor does. Or bleak cheerfulness. One of the two.

Yes, there's humor here that won't fly with modern sensibilities. The racism of the characters (not the work itself) is going to be too much for some readers, who expect all character flaws to be punished or at least explicitly condemned by the narrative.

Folksy and funny.
Jim
Aug 23, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Few authors make me laugh as hard or as consistently as Dan Jenkins (Fast Copy the exception - i don't know what happened there). His twisted Texas characters are nothing if not intriguing and wacked-out in their own right. But the good kind of wacked-out, like Daffy Duck vs. the Hell's Angels. Baja is like being invited to a crazy party of old friends you've never met.
Shane
Apr 16, 2013 Shane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this years ago, but recall it as hilarious and full of the sort of spirited Texas humour that I gravitate toward - the HBO movie version with Lesley Ann Warren, Swoozie Kurtz, and a young Julia Roberts is equally whomp, and has an appearance by Willie Nelson as Willie Nelson.
Allie B
Apr 04, 2013 Allie B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women in particular, but men, Texans, and musuicans too :)
Recommended to Allie by: Am a fan of Dan Jenkins
Shelves: texas, strong-women
Juanita Hutchins is one of Dan Jenkins' best characters. She's a tough woman who's creative, smart, and has not given up her dreams even though life hasn't exactly dealt her a full deck. This novel captures not only a person coming into herself, but a whole culture. Kudos to Mr. Jenkins.
Bliss
Mar 10, 2012 Bliss rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I adored the movie (with Lesley Anne Warren and Peter Coyote) when I was a kid, but the book was a let-down. Characters and situations differ from the film, but the real problem was that Jenkins' story and sometimes his humor seem dated.
Austin
May 11, 2008 Austin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I'm homesick, I turn to Dan Jenkins. His stories are a funny, if politically incorrect, look at middle-aged hellraisers in Texas. If you know Fort Worth, read this book!
Kdfrawg
Nov 04, 2009 Kdfrawg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any book containing the perfect list "The Ten Stages of Drunkenness" cannat be all bad, or even a little bad. Chauvinistic, be warned, but funny despite that.
Robin
Sep 19, 2008 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is absolutely worth reading this book just for the chapter where Tommy Earl comes into the cafe drunk and places an order.
I laughed for three solid days.
Keith
Jul 22, 2008 Keith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Juanita is a respectable character even if you don't agree with her. Doris is just skanky.
Renata
Mar 21, 2012 Renata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A laugh-out-loud read, excellent!
Bookaholic
Bookaholic marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
David
David added it
Sep 24, 2016
SCOTT
SCOTT rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
James
James rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Robert Kenney
Robert Kenney rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Harrynagel
Harrynagel rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
David Troup
David Troup rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Timothy Honsinger
Timothy Honsinger rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
Caro Boswell
Caro Boswell rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Edward S. Leonard
Edward S. Leonard rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
David Neall
David Neall rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Hannah Shelton
Hannah Shelton marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
David Butler
David Butler rated it it was ok
May 28, 2016
Amy Mink
Amy Mink rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
  • Flynn's In (Flynn, #3)
  • Never Mind Nirvana: A Novel
  • 10th Grade
  • A Fistful of Fig Newtons
Dan Jenkins is an American author and sportswriter, most notably for Sports Illustrated.

Jenkins was born and raised in Fort Worth, Texas, where he attended R .L. Paschal High School and Texas Christian University (TCU), where he played on the varsity golf team. Jenkins has worked for many publications including the Fort Worth Press, Dallas Times Herald, Playboy, and Sports Illustrated. In 1985 he
More about Dan Jenkins...