Start by marking “Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in World War II” as Want to Read:
Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in World War II

Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in World War II

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  25 reviews
“Cooper saw more of the war than most junior officers, and he writes about it better than almost anyone. . . . His stories are vivid, enlightening, full of life—and of pain, sorrow, horror, and triumph.”
—STEPHEN E. AMBROSE
From his Foreword

“In a down-to-earth style, Death Traps tells the compelling story of one man’s assignment to the famous 3rd Armored Division that spear
Published December 18th 2007 by Presidio Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Death Traps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Traps

Chuck
Death Traps by Belton Cooper is a memoir of his US Army service in World War 2. Cooper served with United State Army's 3rd Armored Division fighting the Germans in 1944-1945. He served in the unit responsible for recovering damaged and destroyed tanks.

The United States World War 2 main battle tank, the M4 Sherman was obsolete by 1944. Compared to it's German opponents, it was under-gunned, under-powered and under-armored. There were two tremendous strength however. First the United States produc
J.W. Horton
This is certainly one of the better military memoirs of all those I have read over the years. The American author, Belton Y. Cooper, was a kind of laiason ordnance officer between combat units of Sherman tanks and those units further behind the combat action who maintained and repaired these vehicles. Cooper would often have to travel to and from the front lines recovering knocked out or immobilized tanks--sometimes under very dangerous conditions. There is a wealth of tank lore here, an excelle ...more
Evan
Another excellent soldier bio, but one this time relating the challenges if the American tank crew during WWII. You first scratch your head that it's author is the maintenance officer before you discover that the reason for this is the countless deaths of other armor officers who might have been around to write their own stories has the tanks they drove not been death traps relative to their opponents.

It is filled with enthralling personal tales which get you close to men and close to the actio
Tom Blumer
Interesting perspective from the maintenance and support perspective of armored vehicles in WWII. Less about the actual battles and more about how the ordinance and maintenance personnel overcame shortcomings in the Sherman tank.
Ray Pierson
This is an interesting book about an officer assigned to tank recovery and repair. US tanks were no match for German monsters, and encounters seldom went well for Americans.
Martin
Feb 27, 2012 Martin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Armor and WW 2 history buffs
Belton Cooper was an U.S. Army Ordinance officer assigned to the Third Armored Division (General George Patton's Division.) Cooper's job was to ensure that the 3rd Armored vehicles (tanks, jeeps, half tracks and such) were repaired and ready for combat. His insights on the defeicencies of the M4 Sherman tank are enlightening although very well known to armor historians and World War II historians. He compares and contrasts the Sherman with it's superior German opponents, the Psnzer IV, Panther ...more
Dachokie
A Much-Needed Perspective of How the US fought in Western Europe …

There are so many accounts of how the Allied armies “swept” through France and into Germany following Normandy that one may not realize the costly “nuts-and-bolts” angle of how victory over Germany was achieved. Thankfully, Belton Y. Cooper decided to write about his experiences as an Ordnance Liaison Officer with the 3rd Armored Division. DEATH TRAPS fills a large void in explaining how smaller units of brave, dedicated, resilie
Eric Means
This book is a very interesting look into the actual hows and whats of maintaining the equipment of an American heavy armored division in World War 2, but it has some drawbacks/failings as well.

For one, the book essentially reads like it was transcribed from a journal with little to no editing; there is very little transition between chapters/sections. For another, the author makes little or no effort to distinguish between his own eyewitness accounts, and stories he heard second- or third-hand,
Sean Lambert
An amazing account of the war

Although I still have the Dick Winters memoir ahead of this one on my list of best WWII novels, I was extremely impressed by the amount of detail about the scope of the 3rd armoured division's actions. I hope that this book will continue to be read as a lesson in doing duty to the fullest.
Bernard Robinson
Great read. There are endless books about combat and to be sure there is no shortage of battle accounts in this book, but the detail the author goes into recounting the day to day workings of what is required to keep an armored division running is what sets this apart.
Wes Bartlett
This was very interesting and enlightening. My dad was a tanker in WW II but never talked much about his experiences. This book made me realize how really dangerous a position he was in during the war because of the superiority of the German Tanks and their firepower as opposed to the American Tanks.
Steve
Great book of the 3rd Armored Division that fought in Europe during World War II. The author was a former second lieutenant of the United States Third Armored Division. One of the things I liked about reading this book was the comparison to the American M4 Sherman tank to the German Tiger tank. Many of the American tank crewmen were vulnerable due to the lack of thin armor which a German 88 mm shell and the panzerfaust could penetrate the American Sherman tank. Not only did the Sherman have vuln ...more
Kyle
This guy spends a lot of time blowing his own whistle. He spent the war fixing tanks knocked out in battle, and so gained a grim perspective about armored operations in NW Europe. As an account of the Ordnance corps and their excellent work, this is a good source. He does have a general sense of complaint, however, which varies between grating and annoying. He tries to focus on the fighting itself, which he did not seem to br present for. This has been done much better elsewhere. The book would ...more
David
First off, I thoroughly enjoyed this as another exceptional personal memoir of an American soldier in Europe during World War Two. If you're reading this to experience the first hand stories of the man inside the tank, it likely won't be what you're looking for as Lt. Cooper was a maintenance officer and was responsible for keeping 3rd Armored rolling. None the less, this one definitely doesn't lack in the way of action, and Copper's detail into an often overlooked part of war (logistics) is sup ...more
Will Radie
Despite being a bit slow and not really having a focus on combat, Death Traps does fill in a lot of information about the supply and command companies in the war. It probably wouldnt hold the attention of a casual WW2 reader, but for those that want some insight into the way the war was organized and maintained, there is some good stuff here.

If you have any interest in tank warfare then this one shoots up the list of required reading.
Norbert
it an interesting reading, from a peculiar point of view.
The author does not like the M-4 tanks at all - they were much less armoured and had a weaker main gun than the German Panther and Tiger.

But I have read praise to their depemdability by a russian tanker who fought using leand/leased M-4
And also that in the Korean war M-4 were preferred too M-26 on hilly ground
Travis
Oct 14, 2008 Travis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WWII history buffs
Much more interesting than one would expect from a non-combatant (the author was attached to a tank retrieval-salvage unit). A book chock-full of fascinating and little known facts about WWII armored units, battles and equipment as well as an engrossing and authoritative memoir.
Frank Sullivan
When I purchased this book I had no idea how much I would enjoy it! Mr Cooper held a very important job in the war that I am sure was overlooked by many. I was amazed how vulnerable our Sherman tanks were to the enemy. If you enjoy WW 2 books then add this one to your reading list!
Bruce
Very interesting read. The copy I read was my fathers, his brother landed on the beaches of Normandy. My father highlighted every reference to his brothers unit in the book, so I got to follow my Uncle's unit through WWII.
Tim
I gave this book 3 stars due to the great technical information. The writing was not great, but still a good read. I take my hat off to the 3rd armored division and all the men ans women who fought and lost their lives in WWII.
Curtis
Excellent personal account of front line armor mechanics in WW2. Not what you usually hear about. The heroes who kept the heroes on track, literally. Pulls no punches.
Doc Meyer
Couldn't put it down. Read it in three days. Loved it.
Michael Fuller
This is a re-read from 10 years ago.
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Dana
Dana is currently reading it
Nov 15, 2014
Brittney
Brittney marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
  • Utmost Savagery: The Three Days of Tarawa
  • If You Survive: From Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge to the End of World War II, One American Officer's Riveting True Story
  • Company Commander: The Classic Infantry Memoir of World War II
  • Low Level Hell: A Scout Pilot In The Big Red One
  • Dirty Little Secrets of World War II: Military Information No One Told You about the Greatest, Most Terrible War in History
  • One Square Mile of Hell: The Battle for Tarawa
  • The Battle of Kursk
  • Strong Men Armed: The United States Marines Against Japan
  • The Supreme Commander: The War Years of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • Silent Victory: the U.S Submarine Victory against Japan (Bluejacket Books)
  • Up Front
  • The Boys' Crusade: The American Infantry in Northwestern Europe, 1944-45
  • Tonight We Die As Men: The untold story of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment from Toccoa to D-Day
  • Samurai!