Start by marking “Dublu limbaj” as Want to Read:
Dublu limbaj

Dublu limbaj

The Double Tongue is William Golding's last and perhaps most superbly imaginative novel. It is a fictional memoir of an aged prophetess at Delphi, the most sacred oracle of ancient Greece, just prior to Greece's domination by the Roman Empire. As a young girl, Arieka is ugly, unconventional, a source of great shame to her uppity parents, who fear they'll never marry her of ...more
Paperback, Colecţia Cotidianul., 156 pages
Published 2009 by Editura Univers (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Dublu limbaj, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dublu limbaj

Queirosiana
"Arieka, a Pítia, é um retrato convincente da experiência de uma mulher, coisa rara na obra de Golding, constituindo uma das suas melhores criações."

Trouxe este livro da biblioteca por acaso ... e simplesmente porque na capa dizia "Prémio Nobel" ... estava desesperada e nenhum livro me chamava à atenção e pensei ... se o autor ganhou um Nobel é porque tem de ser Muito Bom, agarrei no livro e requisitei-o. Bendita a hora em que o fiz!

Adorei o livro do princípio ao fim.

Mas tenho de admitir que alg
Callista Hunter
I was going to give this book 4 stars, as it has clearly been published as a first draft and could have achieved greater things if Golding had gotten the chance to revise and develop it.

However, even though it hasn't reached its full potential, to me it is a five-star book. It is still going to be one of the best books I will read in 2015.

I was deeply impressed with the sensitivity and empathy Golding showed when writing in the voice of a young girl. This book is really about womanhood, and its
Karen
Mar 25, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book did feel a bit incomplete and unfinished. Because it was incomplete and unfinished. Because the author died before he had a final manuscript. In spite of that, this book is brilliant.

First he gives an incredibly sympathetic portrait of a young girl. Then he perfectly portrays that young girl becoming the Pythia. And finally, through the narrative, of a believing woman who was used by the gods.

I have read this book at least four, probably five times, and every time I read it, I pick u
The Idle Woman
Charming and light, with a very engaging narrative voice - but this novel was left unfinished at Golding's death and it shows it. Disjointed and brief, it feels like a sequence of vignettes and an experimentation in character rather than a full-fledged novel. Having said that, there's still a lot to enjoy here.

For a full review please head over to my blog:
Bogdan
Jan 06, 2012 Bogdan rated it really liked it
Shelves: brits
It was a nice idea to make a novel about how ancient priests and priestess were feeling and thinking. Too bad that the novel is not finished, because I am sure it had addition charm. This way the novel is interesting, but nothing more.
Sonja
Nov 26, 2016 Sonja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
Život nije loš. On je nepodnošljiv, a to nije isto.
Ben
Dec 13, 2016 Ben rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c20-novels
Golding's first and most famous novel was the visionary Lord of the Flies (1954), which I had the good fortune to study at GCSE. Golding's last novel was the little-read Double Tongue, left in draft form at the time of his death in 1993.

Golding had a lifelong interest in ancient Greece and could read ancient Greek but he never wrote about it until The Double Tongue. It's set at the time of the decline of Greece in its final, classical, period, when the Roman Empire was expanding, absorbing the c
Martin Roberts
Jan 08, 2017 Martin Roberts rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, couldn't get to grips with this.
Christian Geiger
Jun 09, 2015 Christian Geiger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Double Tongue is a book about Arieka. Arieka is not pretty, and even though she has a huge dowry, nobody will want to marry her. In Ancient Greece women were not respected and Arieka soon learned this. When a nasty guy wanted to marry her she tried to run away, it didn't work. Arieka finds hereself praying to the gods, but doesn't get much response. Just a half cooked fish and some healing. Then the important Ionides Pesistrades comes and takes her away to become the next Pythia - very impor ...more
Dan
Jan 17, 2013 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Double Tongue was an odd one for me. When I set down the book I remember thinking to myself "I liked this. Didn't I?" Part of this ambivalence is no doubt due to the incomplete nature of the manuscript - Golding died prior to finishing it, and we can only guess at what his intentions were regarding changes or revisions.

At the same time, The Double Tongue has a great deal to offer by way of thoughtful commentary and reflection on the nature of divinity and religious experience. At no point does G
Deb
Mar 22, 2010 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was left unfinished by Golding, although the manuscript was believed to be more or less complete. I liked the early part of the book: the plot had me hooked, particularly the two central characters. It is an aspect of ancient history that has been largely ignored in modern fiction. However, I was disappointed with the way the characters were developed, and felt hustled towards the end. The book could probably have been twice as long without the quality suffering.
Thea
Dec 06, 2014 Thea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's always hard to rate a book that's been published posthumously. This was the 2nd or 3rd draft but Golding certainly wasn't finished writing it. It had a lot of potential and I would have loved to have a chance to read the finished product. I'm researching Delphi for something I'm doing and there was some good information here for me to follow up on. It's worth a peek for sure....
Janet
Jun 11, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book - given that it was his first draught (not sure why they didn't publish 2nd or 3rd) it was so polished, there was only one part which I felt was out of kilter, where there's a dinner party and much discussion about Rome etc. probably a few more edits and this would have be smoothed out. A great read with really interesting and challenging characters.
Derek Bridge
Aug 13, 2011 Derek Bridge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's no doubting that there is an unfinished feel to this novel, in draft at Golding's death. But it is still compelling, fizzing with ideas as all Golding's novels. The layers of hypocrisy, the interplay of pragmatism and latent faith, are at its core.
Timo
Nov 08, 2011 Timo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mooi boek, de psychologie van de hoofdpersoon was overtuigend. Ik ben benieuwd naar zijn andere boeken.
Tarık Şahım
Feb 09, 2016 Tarık Şahım rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oldukça etkileyici bir Antik roman haline gitirilmis, son derece güzel kurgulanmış. Başarılı bir eser olduğunu düşünüyorum. Tavsiye ederim.
Maria
Jan 18, 2013 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ну, я верю, что если бы Голдинг не умер во время работы над этим романом, в итоге все было бы куда лучше. но в такой версии - занудно и ожидаемо.
Simon
Jun 05, 2013 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the other of Golding's novels I've read, this is deeply thoughtful and affecting. Especially so given that is a posthumously published first draft. Wonderful.
Angela
William Golding deserved the Nobel prix for literature. When someone has a gift what they do seems to be effortless. He has that gift. Thank you for enriching my life. (Kristin)

Audrey Hacker
Dec 09, 2010 Audrey Hacker rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, modern
this book was ok i was confused at what was going on most of the time. The idea was great but it jut fell through.
Bet
Bet rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2008
Madalina
Madalina rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2012
Magoos
Magoos rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Alex Radoi
Alex Radoi rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2012
Maria Itu
Maria Itu rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Noonik
Noonik rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2012
Anastasia Watson
Anastasia Watson rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2015
syster Alma
syster Alma rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2011
Jonathan Smith
Jonathan Smith rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2008
binic
binic rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2010
  • Jean Barois
  • O que diz Molero
  • World of Strangers
  • The Songs of the Kings
  • The Monkey Grammarian
  • The Wreckage of Agathon
  • The House of Death
  • The Gates of Troy (Adventures of Odysseus, #2)
  • Over the Wine-Dark Sea (Hellenic Traders, #1)
  • Gospođica
  • The Wreck
  • The Crusader
  • The Interpreters
  • An Elephant for Aristotle
  • The Return from Troy
  • The Sand-Reckoner
  • Homer's Daughter
  • Witch Hill (Occult Tales, #3)
Sir William Gerald Golding was a British novelist, poet, and playwright best known for his 1954 novel Lord of the Flies. He was awarded the Booker Prize for literature in 1980 for his novel Rites of Passage, the first book of the trilogy To the Ends of the Earth. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1983 and was knighted in 1988.

In 2008, The Times ranked Golding third on their list of
More about William Golding...