Start by marking “Dublu limbaj” as Want to Read:
Dublu limbaj

Dublu limbaj

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The Double Tongue is William Golding's last and perhaps most superbly imaginative novel. It is a fictional memoir of an aged prophetess at Delphi, the most sacred oracle of ancient Greece, just prior to Greece's domination by the Roman Empire. As a young girl, Arieka is ugly, unconventional, a source of great shame to her uppity parents, who fear they'll never marry her of ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 156 pages
Published 2009 by Cotidianul Colections (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Dublu limbaj, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dublu limbaj

Callista Hunter
I was going to give this book 4 stars, as it has clearly been published as a first draft and could have achieved greater things if Golding had gotten the chance to revise and develop it.

However, even though it hasn't reached its full potential, to me it is a five-star book. It is still going to be one of the best books I will read in 2015.

I was deeply impressed with the sensitivity and empathy Golding showed when writing in the voice of a young girl. This book is really about womanhood, and its
Karen
This book did feel a bit incomplete and unfinished. Because it was incomplete and unfinished. Because the author died before he had a final manuscript. In spite of that, this book is brilliant.

First he gives an incredibly sympathetic portrait of a young girl. Then he perfectly portrays that young girl becoming the Pythia. And finally, through the narrative, of a believing woman who was used by the gods.

I have read this book at least four, probably five times, and every time I read it, I pick u
Queirosiana
"Arieka, a Pítia, é um retrato convincente da experiência de uma mulher, coisa rara na obra de Golding, constituindo uma das suas melhores criações."

Trouxe este livro da biblioteca por acaso ... e simplesmente porque na capa dizia "Prémio Nobel" ... estava desesperada e nenhum livro me chamava à atenção e pensei ... se o autor ganhou um Nobel é porque tem de ser Muito Bom, agarrei no livro e requisitei-o. Bendita a hora em que o fiz!

Adorei o livro do princípio ao fim.

Mas tenho de admitir que alg
Dan
Double Tongue was an odd one for me. When I set down the book I remember thinking to myself "I liked this. Didn't I?" Part of this ambivalence is no doubt due to the incomplete nature of the manuscript - Golding died prior to finishing it, and we can only guess at what his intentions were regarding changes or revisions.

At the same time, The Double Tongue has a great deal to offer by way of thoughtful commentary and reflection on the nature of divinity and religious experience. At no point does G
Cam
kinda iffy on the discussion of rape but interesting otherwise!
Deb
This book was left unfinished by Golding, although the manuscript was believed to be more or less complete. I liked the early part of the book: the plot had me hooked, particularly the two central characters. It is an aspect of ancient history that has been largely ignored in modern fiction. However, I was disappointed with the way the characters were developed, and felt hustled towards the end. The book could probably have been twice as long without the quality suffering.
Thea
It's always hard to rate a book that's been published posthumously. This was the 2nd or 3rd draft but Golding certainly wasn't finished writing it. It had a lot of potential and I would have loved to have a chance to read the finished product. I'm researching Delphi for something I'm doing and there was some good information here for me to follow up on. It's worth a peek for sure....
Janet
I loved this book - given that it was his first draught (not sure why they didn't publish 2nd or 3rd) it was so polished, there was only one part which I felt was out of kilter, where there's a dinner party and much discussion about Rome etc. probably a few more edits and this would have be smoothed out. A great read with really interesting and challenging characters.
Derek Bridge
There's no doubting that there is an unfinished feel to this novel, in draft at Golding's death. But it is still compelling, fizzing with ideas as all Golding's novels. The layers of hypocrisy, the interplay of pragmatism and latent faith, are at its core.
Bogdan
It was a nice idea to make a novel about how ancient priests and priestess were feeling and thinking. Too bad that the novel is not finished, because I am sure it had addition charm. This way the novel is interesting, but nothing more.
Angela
William Golding deserved the Nobel prix for literature. When someone has a gift what they do seems to be effortless. He has that gift. Thank you for enriching my life. (Kristin)

Simon
Like the other of Golding's novels I've read, this is deeply thoughtful and affecting. Especially so given that is a posthumously published first draft. Wonderful.
Maria
ну, я верю, что если бы Голдинг не умер во время работы над этим романом, в итоге все было бы куда лучше. но в такой версии - занудно и ожидаемо.
Audrey
this book was ok i was confused at what was going on most of the time. The idea was great but it jut fell through.
Timo
Mooi boek, de psychologie van de hoofdpersoon was overtuigend. Ik ben benieuwd naar zijn andere boeken.
Shawna
Loved the end! Had no idea Golding wrote like this--smart and rich with subtle feeling.
Carla
wonderfully and wittily well written. He is a jenius!
Chrissy
One of the best novels on ancient Greece I've read!
Ashley Lawlor
Ashley Lawlor marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Leealfit Leealfit
Leealfit Leealfit marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Joshua
Joshua is currently reading it
Mar 22, 2015
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Alasdair Ekpenyong
Alasdair Ekpenyong marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Lulu
Lulu added it
Mar 19, 2015
Yasser
Yasser marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Taoufiq Hebboul
Taoufiq Hebboul marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
  • The House of Death
  • The Monkey Grammarian
  • The Crusader
  • Gospođica
  • Witch Hill (Occult Tales, #3)
  • The Interpreters
  • Homer's Daughter
  • Alexander at the World's End
  • Greek Religion
  • The Dwarfs
  • The Last King of Lydia
  • Last of the Amazons
Sir William Gerald Golding was a British novelist, poet, and playwright best known for his 1954 novel Lord of the Flies. He was awarded the Booker Prize for literature in 1980 for his novel Rites of Passage, the first book of the trilogy To the Ends of the Earth. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1983 and was knighted by the Queen of England in 1988.

In 2008, The Times ranked Golding
More about William Golding...
Lord of the Flies Rites of Passage (To the Ends of the Earth, #1) The Inheritors Pincher Martin: The Two Deaths of Christopher Martin The Spire