Wait Till Next Year

Wait Till Next Year

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  3,261 ratings  ·  462 reviews
By the award-winning author of Team of Rivals and The Bully Pulpit, Wait Till Next Year is Doris Kearns Goodwin’s touching memoir of growing up in love with her family and baseball.

Set in the suburbs of New York in the 1950s, Wait Till Next Year re-creates the postwar era, when the corner store was a place to share stories and neighborhoods were equally divided b...more
Published June 2nd 1998 by Simon & Schuster (first published October 1st 1997)

Moneyball by Michael LewisBall Four by Jim BoutonThe Boys of Summer by Roger KahnShoeless Joe by W.P. KinsellaThe Natural by Bernard Malamud
Best Baseball Books
20th out of 395 books — 411 voters
The Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankNight by Elie WieselEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Favorite memoirs/autobiographies
115th out of 1,005 books — 995 voters

More lists with this book...

sckenda
Doris Kearns Goodwin, the Pulitzer-Prize-winning biographer of Lincoln and FDR, describes growing up as an Irish-Catholic in Long Island during the 1950’s. The slow death of Doris’ mother and the disappearance of her world destroyed her idyllic childhood. But an excellent father, community, church, and baseball consoled her and contributed to her achievement.

Goodwin credits her storytelling skill to baseball. Starting in 1949, young Doris would listen to Brooklyn Dodger games on the radio durin...more
Teresa
Goodwin is an enthusiastic 'voice' that I remember quite well from Ken Burns' "Baseball" documentary. Not for nothing did her dad nickname her 'Bubbles,' as she relates in this book. My dad taught me how to keep score when I was very young, as did hers, and I also felt that baseball connection with my dad that she had with hers.

As far as memoirs goes, this book is okay, especially if you have no idea what it was like to be a Catholic child growing up in the '50s in the U.S., or perhaps if you a...more
Robert
Lots of fun, even if you come from a family of Yankees fans.

Doris Kearns Goodwin is better known for her presidential histories. I've enjoyed her The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys and Team of Rivals. In this memoir we get to learn more about her own life and upbringing.

She grew up in Rockville Centre, Long Island, in the late '40s and '50s. The important themes of her childhood seem to be [A] Catholicism and [B] the Brooklyn Dodgers, not necessarily in that order.

And I have to say, her childhood...more
Suzanne

This was a quick read filled with nostalgia. I'm about 10 years younger than Goodwin , but easily related to her childhood experience of suburban, almost idyllic life on Long Island. Doors were open, doctors lived on the street and made house calls, TVs were in large consoles though their screens were small and their antennas had to be fiddled with and Howdie Doodie was the Saturday show of choice. Moms watched Soaps and wore aprons, and dads went to work in suits and drank martinis.
In the Prefa...more
Ron
This is a great book for anyone who loves baseball and grew up in the 40's and 50's when the Dodgers and Giants were still in Brooklyn and New York and were winning world series titles. It is also the memoirs of Doris Gearns Goodwin when she was a kid growing up in Long Island in the 50's with a very nostalgic look back at a less complicated America of that time.
monica
Jul 21, 2008 monica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Red Sox fans and baby boomers
Touching coming of age memoir from the fifties. Women of a certain age will remember many of the same scenarios, from studying the Baltimore catechism while preparing for first Communion, to swapping baseball cards, riding far beyond the neighborhood on our bicycles, and being welcome in any family's house or seeing our mothers ironing in front of the television.
Kathy
Mar 07, 2008 Kathy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathy by: Baseball swap
The story of a young girl's love of baseball, by a master storyteller.
Rickyjez
I can't wait until the next time I see Goodwin on Meet the Press . . . I'll feel like I'm watching an old friend. She shares an intimate account of her childhood in this memoir that is laughable, nostalgic, and tragic--but always filled with optimism. Today Goodwin is a renowned presidential historian, academic scholar, best selling author, and die hard Red Sox fan. She bubbles over when she talks to audiences and you can always envision the little girl in her, because of her overt enthusiasm fo...more
John and Kris
Each spring I try to read a book about baseball to get me excited for the upcoming season. In the recent past I’ve read Opening Day, Voices of Summer, The Bad Guys Won, Cobb, The Boys of Summer, The Soul of Baseball, Moneyball, Joe DiMaggio, and For The Love of the Game. I decided upon Doris Kearns Goodwin’s memoir after reading an excellent piece by Diana Schaub in National Affairs titled, “America at the Bat” http://www.nationalaffairs.com/public...

Full disclosure, I read this book as a "how t...more
Ruth
Mar 04, 2013 Ruth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Baseball fans, history buffs
Recommended to Ruth by: Book Club
A wonderfully refreshing story telling the life of a young girl growing up in the post World War II era when life was pretty simple, and the most important news of the day was whether the Dodgers , Giants or Yankees were winning the baseball game that day. Names like Reese, Barber, Campenella, Hodges, and Robinson were bandied about like old friends.. Our country was thriving, recovering from the hardships and fears of the war, and children were safe and felt free to play kickball in the streets...more
Jaclyn
Goodwin's book Wait Till Next Year is a nostalgic memoir flavored with her love of baseball and her family. Goodwin is known to most people as the Pulitzer Prize winning author and expert on Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt. In this book though she is just the girl next door who grew up idolizing her father and Jackie Robinson, and dreaming of the year when the Dodgers would win the pennant. If you don't have some appreciation for baseball, her details on the classic New York falls might grow tedi...more
Amy
9/10
A couple of years ago, I attempted to listen to Team of Rivals (also written by Doris Kearns Goodwin). I hate to not finish books (especially good ones), but it was so long, and I couldn't finish it before it was due, and then there was a massive hold list...and so I gave up.

But this book was different. For one thing, is was about 600 pages shorter. And because I love reading about the lives of other people, memoirs almost always hold my interest. But unlike other memoirs, this one sometimes...more
Steven Stark
If you enjoyed Ken Burns' Documentary on Baseball, then you will know this author as the likable, energetic lady remembering how important The Brooklyn Dodgers were to her childhood in the 50's.
Her memoir of growing up in the 50's presents a fairly idyllic childhood, though not perfect, filled with neighborhood familes, friends and local shops where everyone knew each other. The sense of community is quite visceral throughout. I found her writing about growing up in the Catholic church to be q...more
Peggy Z
Oct 21, 2011 Peggy Z rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all ages
A wonderful memoir about the author's childhood in the 1950's. She lived in Rockville Centre on the South Shore of Long Island, New York. Her father was born in Brooklyn and was an avid Dodger fan. As a young girl, Doris Kearns became a huge fan of the Dodgers and of baseball. Her poignant and entertaining memoirs of that time are so skillfully presented, that you can imagine yourself being transported back to an era that seemed so much more innocent then today.

Besides her entertaining stories a...more
Joanna
I would've liked this more if I were a baseball fan. This memoir weaves the story of youth into the story of the Brooklyn Dodgers and there is way too much Dodgers in it for me. Many recollections of her idealized growing up years remind me strongly of my growing up years in Bangor Maine with my best friend Melissa. There are so many similarities! I loved the spark of recognition I felt as she described her neighborhood and her child's adventures. We, too, were next door neighbors. We, too, crea...more
Lisa
Throughout this book, I felt like I was sitting with someone, listening to them tell me stories from their childhood. Perhaps it was because I have seen Ms. Goodwin speak, but I think that it had much more to do with her writing style. This book is loaded with stories about growing up in the New York of the late 1940's through the mid 1950's. Kearns discusses how events in the country/world effected her life--desegregation in the South, the launching of Sputnik, the trial of Julius and Ethel Ros...more
John
I had heard raves about this book so I was disappointed at first. It seemed a bit trite, like an extended "Father Knows Best" episode, domesticity in the 50s. Ho hum.

Then Doris started to draw me in. I especially like how she filtered historic events through the prism of a young girl's perception - the Army-McCarthy congressional hearings for example, and the trial of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.

The most fun, however, was her re-telling of the trials and triumphs of Dem Bums, the Brooklyn Dodger...more
Steven
Doris Kearns Goodwin did a great job in making simple things in her youth seem so important in her memoir. She captured the difficulties of her mother's health and her special relationship with her father and baseball. She also blended in milestones of history that were going on around her as she was growing up. I have read many of her nonfiction books on history and listened to her comments as a guest on the Sunday morning news shows. It was great to know her through this memoir.
Paula
I enjoyed this memoir and Goodwin's thoughtful reminiscences about growing up in a Long Island town in the 50's. Along with stories about her family life, she weaves in political and social history. She goes into fascinating detail about baseball, particularly the Brooklyn Dodgers, which influenced her development. My father, long deceased, was a devoted Dodgers fan, so the book had a personal element of history for me and evoked my own recollections from the golden age of baseball.
Lenore
Nov 23, 2008 Lenore rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of baseball or the author
I read this book several years ago and I remember it fondly every Spring as each new baseball season opens. Doris Kearns Goodwin tells of her love of baseball, the Brooklyn Dodgers and her father. Her vivid descriptions of growing up in the fifties and the rivalry between the fans of the Dodgers and Yankees make this book a fun read. It is a snapshot into the childhood of this respected Presidential historian.
Ed
If you like baseball, the 1950s, or New York City, this fast-paced, at times poignant memoir is for you. I enjoyed reading it. DKG was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan through the 1950s when they won their only World Series and then moved to the west coast in LA along with the Giants relocating to San Francisco. Years later, I rooted for the 1969 Mets managed by old Dodger Gil Hodges.
Melanie
This an autobiography by a biographer. I enjoyed this book combing a happy childhood with the love of baseball. I'm now eager to see Ken Burns Baseball documentary and wanting to read up on Gil Hodges. There are times that I laughed out loud and times I wanted to cry, This was a very enjoyable book to read.
Colleen Semanek
I really enjoyed this book. I love baseball and I grew up on Long Island. But I love the Yankees and I am about 30 years younger. It doesn't matter. The story was touching and fascinating for me, possibly because my parents were Dodger fans and Dad grew up Catholic at the same time. I feel like Ms Kearns Goodwin and my mom would have been best friends if they grew up anywhere near each other, but the 10 miles or so that separated them is a whole world away. Anyway, I enjoyed the history of the t...more
Steph
Not a big fan of anything New York, but I enjoyed this memoir. It's nice to read something written by a woman in a genre that's usually the bastion of men. There are many women baseball fans; it's nice to read the memoirs of an intelligent, talented writer like Ms. Goodwin.
Katie Dubik Schwarz
This was a book handed to me by a librarian friend--given to me because I have been writing about children's baseball books for months. "I know you like baseball and this was leftover from the book sale."

What a coincidence that I then shared the book with my grandfather, who at 92 suddenly has become a Reader, who played ball with many of the players talked about and rooted for by the author. He read it and recounted his years of playing ball with them through tears. I read it next and definite...more
Angie
I dithered between a 4 and a 5 on this one, because I am really NOT interested in baseball and read it in SPITE of the subject matter, but I decided it was not fair to penalize the author for writing a good book on an announced subject that is just not of interest to me.
I am only a few years younger than the author and grew up as a Catholic girl during the 50s, as she did. This memoir captures that era so beautifully that I recommend it to everyone---those who can remember those years will find...more
Byron Edgington
Here we have a coming of age tale about a real kid, a real place and a real childhood and a snapshot of nineteen fifties America that somehow manages to be unsentimental and steeped in historical recollection. Goodwin is a Pulitzer-winning historian who has captured the essence of an American childhood in a way not typically shown, that is from the standpoint of a girl’s love of a baseball team, and the connection she shares with her father to that team. Doris and her father, Michael Aloysius Ke...more
Janet
I'm a sucker for baseball books. This was a quick read and really enjoyable. Only thing that would have made it better would have been if the author was an O's fan.
Mary Helene
Nov 02, 2010 Mary Helene rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mary Helene by: Marlene Ayala
Shelves: biography
Oh, I want my brother to read this book and tell me if this wasn't our childhood, too! Long Island in the 50s - and what it meant to be devoted to a baseball team.
Vince
This was a great book - sometimes a bit slow but great - maybe more of a girl;s book but still great to me.

Her memoir is matching the development time for me just a year or so behind her. Her realistic explanation of the change in major league baseball in the 50s was also I think right on. In the end I was not as forgiving as she is and I go to see good games and with my grandkids but always think, especially compared to the 40s and early 50s, these guys are there to make a lot of money - their...more
  • The Teammates: A Portrait of a Friendship
  • Feeding the Monster: How Money, Smarts, and Nerve Took a Team to the Top
  • As They See 'Em: A Fan's Travels in the Land of Umpires
  • The Glory of Their Times : The Story of the Early Days of Baseball Told By the Men Who Played It
  • The Soul of Baseball: A Road Trip Through Buck O'Neil's America
  • Game Six: Cincinnati, Boston, and the 1975 World Series: The Triumph of America's Pastime
  • Baseball
  • The Summer Game
  • The Last Best League: One Summer, One Season, One Dream
  • Opening Day: The Story of Jackie Robinson's First Season
  • Veeck--As In Wreck: The Autobiography of Bill Veeck
  • The Bullpen Gospels: A Non-Prospect's Pursuit of the Major Leagues and the Meaning of Life
  • Bottom of the 33rd: Hope, Redemption, and Baseball's Longest Game
  • Babe: The Legend Comes to Life
  • Clemente: The Passion and Grace of Baseball's Last Hero
  • Baseball: A History of America's Favorite Game
  • The Wrong Stuff
  • The Boys of Summer
Also credited as "Doris Kearns" on the first editions of Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream.
More about Doris Kearns Goodwin...
Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys: An American Saga Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream: The Most Revealing Portrait of a President and Presidential Power Ever Written

“For your penance, say two Hail Marys, three our Fathers, and," he added, with a chuckle, "say a special prayer for the Dodgers.” 2 likes
“Marjorie” 0 likes