First Book of Sushi

First Book of Sushi

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  23 reviews
For the littlest fans of that favorite Japanese finger food comes a sturdy board book sure to inspire giggles (and even some growling stomachs!). Sanger's mixed media and cut-paper collages are an ideal accompaniment to her bouncy rhyming text sure to captivate even the most finicky eaters. Whether a temaki know-it-all or clueless about ebi, FIRST BOOK OF SUSHI is a welcom...more
Board Book, 20 pages
Published June 15th 2001 by Tricycle Press

To ask other readers questions about First Book of Sushi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Book of Sushi

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónLife of Pi by Yann MartelAtonement by Ian McEwanAmerican Gods by Neil GaimanJohn Adams by David McCullough
Best Books of 2001
202nd out of 295 books — 140 voters
Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesAfter the First Death by Robert CormierSecond Foundation by Isaac AsimovThe Second Summoning by Tanya HuffThe Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett
Ordinal Numbers
10th out of 86 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Josiah
Amy Wilson Sanger's First Book of Sushi, though still a "World Snacks Book", differs in some ways from another of the author's board books on the subject of foreign cuisine, Yum Yum Dim Sum. Unlike that book, First Book of Sushi has no glossary of terms on the back page; which, while it would have been helpful for the uninitiated in Japanese culinary wares (such as myself, for the most part), is still a highly unusual feature for a board book. First Book of Sushi also differs in that the foods...more
Amber
"First Book of Sushi" is a picture book by Amy Wilson Sanger. It is intended for children from birth to 2 years (N). The book is short and sweet and to the point. It is a simple book about sushi that teaches the reader what kinds of sushi there are and what kinds of fish are in the sushi. I gave “First Book of Sushi” 5 stars for quite a few reasons. First, the book is interesting. You don’t find too many books on sushi for toddlers. I love sushi and this book was a good way to teach my son about...more
Savanah
Reading level: K-1st grade
Interest Level: Early Childhood/Preschool
Genre:Picture Book
Themes/Subjects: Japanese culture and/or food
Main characters: NA
Setting: NA
POV: Narrator

This is a fantastic board book for Early childhood or preschool aged children. There are very vibrant colored pictures of different types of sushi. The book is full of rhyming text that would be suitable for young children. The story definitely uses Japanese words that some may not be so familiar with like "hamachi, maguro sl...more
Heidi
Going through donations. I couldn't pass up a board book about sushi! Interesting. Having eaten a lot of Japanese food in the last year+, I was much more familiar with some of the terms than I would have been before. I was surprised at the use of rhyme in the book. The illustrations were interesting. I'm not sure how a child would relate to the book, unless sushi is something they're already familiar with.
Bailey Jane
Just ordered this on Amazon today (02/29/10))! My first baby purchase!

06/21/10 - I can't wait to read this to baby Piper when she gets here!The colors are so bright and eye-catching and the book actually taught me a thing or two about sushi that I didn't know! What a fun series. I totally plan on ordering the other books in the series as well.
Lisa
I find this book funny, and it's certainly a hit with the hipper parents I know, especially those who dine a sushi bars frequently since it acquaints little ones with the cuisine they'll see there. However, this one has not been that popular with my toddler and gets requested only infrequently.
Mary
Quite perfect for our restaurant play, particularly with our newly added wooden sushi set. A good intro which resonated with several students and stirred interest in a possible asian food day in the future. Not to mention pictures full of texture, depth and bright color.
Katy Vance
I LOVED it! I gave this as a present to a friend at a baby shower with the "Stock the Baby's Library" theme. It has beautiful pictures, and wonderful rhyming text. It is a nice change to the usual baby books given at parties.
Marie
May 03, 2008 Marie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: foodies
This board-book series introduces world food with words from the appropriate language in a rollicking, rhyming text. Pictures are paper collages. Nice intro to sounds of other languages and foods from other cultures.
James
I love that this book includes mommy's favorite sushi: ikura. I know because she secretly ate lots of it when she was pregnant with me. Thanks for the book, Sarah B.
Dolly
Sep 18, 2008 Dolly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading to their little ones
Shelves: childrens, 2003, japan
Great pictures and a fun, rhyming narrative. I bought this right away when I had our first baby. I thought it was quite appropriate since we lived in Japan!
Kim
Love this book... Received as a gift when our daughter was born in Japan and still have it memorized...beautifully illustrated and beautiful lyrics.
Yarb
Nov 03, 2008 Yarb rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Superbly-decorated board book. Short and very sweet poem (which scans perfectly!) in praise of all things sushi from a toddler's eye view.
Dena
This and the Sandra Boynton books were among Alex's first memorized lines. It's no wonder sushi is still his favorite food!
Elke
Adorable and fun! I read this to my squirming belly baby and can't wait to have her demand "Miso in my sippy cup!"
Jude Gravois
I love this book and so does Jude. It has great art and a fun rhyme. Jude's a big fan of sushi.
Shane
This is like, my favorite kid's book!!! I read it all the time!
This whole series is so funny.
Brandy
Thanks, Danielle!!! :)
Annchan Maulana
sushi lover guide book nie ^^
Tyler
Liz
Liz added it
Aug 16, 2014
Michael Nenner
Michael Nenner marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Sarah added it
Aug 19, 2014
Joanne in Canada
Joanne in Canada marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Yum Yum Dim Sum Hola! Jalapeno Mangia! Mangia! Let's Nosh! A Little Bit of Soul Food