Start by marking “First Book of Sushi” as Want to Read:
First Book of Sushi

First Book of Sushi

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  199 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Miso in my sippy cup, tofu in my bowl! From tekka maki to wasabi, tasty treats await young readers in this colorful, rhyming ode to Japanese cuisine. With pages full of tummy-tempting foods, the books in the World Snacks series are a delicious way to introduce even the littlest eaters to cuisines from all around the globe.
Board Book, 22 pages
Published June 15th 2001 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about First Book of Sushi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Book of Sushi

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónAtonement by Ian McEwanAmerican Gods by Neil GaimanJohn Adams by David McCulloughThe Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
Best Books of 2001
239th out of 336 books — 172 voters
Second Foundation by Isaac AsimovKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesFirst Among Sequels by Jasper FfordeFirst They Killed My Father by Loung UngAfter the First Death by Robert Cormier
Ordinal Numbers
18th out of 229 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Josiah
Oct 08, 2015 Josiah rated it did not like it
Amy Wilson Sanger's First Book of Sushi, though still a "World Snacks Book", differs in some ways from another of the author's board books on the subject of foreign cuisine, Yum Yum Dim Sum. Unlike that book, First Book of Sushi has no glossary of terms on the back page; which, while it would have been helpful for the uninitiated in Japanese culinary wares (such as myself, for the most part), is still a highly unusual feature for a board book. First Book of Sushi also differs in that the foods ...more
Amber
Oct 27, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing
"First Book of Sushi" is a picture book by Amy Wilson Sanger. It is intended for children from birth to 2 years (N). The book is short and sweet and to the point. It is a simple book about sushi that teaches the reader what kinds of sushi there are and what kinds of fish are in the sushi. I gave “First Book of Sushi” 5 stars for quite a few reasons. First, the book is interesting. You don’t find too many books on sushi for toddlers. I love sushi and this book was a good way to teach my son about ...more
Savanah
Themes/Subjects: Japanese culture and/or food
Main characters: NA
Setting: NA
POV: Narrator

This is a fantastic board book for Early childhood or preschool aged children. There are very vibrant colored pictures of different types of sushi. The book is full of rhyming text that would be suitable for young children. The story definitely uses Japanese words that some may not be so familiar with like "hamachi, maguro sl
Valerie
Apr 01, 2016 Valerie rated it really liked it
This is a cute board book which can introduce children to Sushi and other Japanese foods. It had paper collage style pictures which are large and visually appealing. Although the text rhymes, the rhymes sometimes cross pages and aren't always obvious. My favorite thing about the copy of the book I have is that the corner of the book has teeth marks. A great toddlers recommendation for a book about food.
Bea
Vibrant colors and illustrations make this a fun intro to the many varieties of sushi but I wish it had a pronunciation guide.
A.C. Bauch
If I could, I'd give this five stars for the illustrations. The text is two to three stars. So I'm giving it four to be fair.
Heidi
Jun 16, 2010 Heidi rated it it was ok
Going through donations. I couldn't pass up a board book about sushi! Interesting. Having eaten a lot of Japanese food in the last year+, I was much more familiar with some of the terms than I would have been before. I was surprised at the use of rhyme in the book. The illustrations were interesting. I'm not sure how a child would relate to the book, unless sushi is something they're already familiar with.
Bailey Jane
Jun 21, 2010 Bailey Jane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddos
Just ordered this on Amazon today (02/29/10))! My first baby purchase!

06/21/10 - I can't wait to read this to baby Piper when she gets here!The colors are so bright and eye-catching and the book actually taught me a thing or two about sushi that I didn't know! What a fun series. I totally plan on ordering the other books in the series as well.
Lisa
Apr 14, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I find this book funny, and it's certainly a hit with the hipper parents I know, especially those who dine a sushi bars frequently since it acquaints little ones with the cuisine they'll see there. However, this one has not been that popular with my toddler and gets requested only infrequently.
Mary
Jan 12, 2010 Mary rated it it was amazing
Quite perfect for our restaurant play, particularly with our newly added wooden sushi set. A good intro which resonated with several students and stirred interest in a possible asian food day in the future. Not to mention pictures full of texture, depth and bright color.
Dolly
Oct 11, 2014 Dolly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents reading to their little ones
Shelves: childrens, 2003, japan
Great pictures and a fun, rhyming narrative. I bought this right away when I had our first baby. I thought it was quite appropriate since we lived in Japan! We read this one over and over again until I had the narrative memorized.
Katy Vance
Jun 10, 2012 Katy Vance rated it it was amazing
I LOVED it! I gave this as a present to a friend at a baby shower with the "Stock the Baby's Library" theme. It has beautiful pictures, and wonderful rhyming text. It is a nice change to the usual baby books given at parties.
Marie
May 03, 2008 Marie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: foodies
This board-book series introduces world food with words from the appropriate language in a rollicking, rhyming text. Pictures are paper collages. Nice intro to sounds of other languages and foods from other cultures.
James
Dec 02, 2011 James rated it it was amazing
I love that this book includes mommy's favorite sushi: ikura. I know because she secretly ate lots of it when she was pregnant with me. Thanks for the book, Sarah B.
Kim
Mar 21, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, favorites
Love this book... Received as a gift when our daughter was born in Japan and still have it memorized...beautifully illustrated and beautiful lyrics.
Yarb
Jul 25, 2016 Yarb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, kids-books, sushi
Superbly-decorated board book. Short and very sweet poem (which scans perfectly!) in praise of all things sushi from a toddler's eye view.
Dena
Jun 09, 2013 Dena rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-favorites
This and the Sandra Boynton books were among Alex's first memorized lines. It's no wonder sushi is still his favorite food!
Elke Ursin
Aug 31, 2009 Elke Ursin rated it it was amazing
Adorable and fun! I read this to my squirming belly baby and can't wait to have her demand "Miso in my sippy cup!"
Jude Gravois
I love this book and so does Jude. It has great art and a fun rhyme. Jude's a big fan of sushi.
Shane
This is like, my favorite kid's book!!! I read it all the time!
Jun 09, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-children
This whole series is so funny.
Brandy
Jul 05, 2013 Brandy rated it it was amazing
Thanks, Danielle!!! :)
Annchan Maulana
Oct 18, 2007 Annchan Maulana rated it liked it
Shelves: yummie
sushi lover guide book nie ^^
Tyler
Sep 04, 2007 Annie rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Well, ok.
Leah Wener-Fligner
Leah Wener-Fligner rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Tammy Kontak
Tammy Kontak rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Rachel
Rachel added it
Aug 10, 2016
Ames
Ames rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016