Start by marking “Wild Life Rifle Fire” as Want to Read:
Wild Life Rifle Fire

Wild Life Rifle Fire

4.86 of 5 stars 4.86  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  14 reviews
"Paul Siegell's wild life rifle fire proves, if proof were needed, that the electrifying art and legacy of Concrete Poetry is not dead! Siegell's book-length carmen figuratum not only flashes the reader back to the heady first days of the Noigrandes Group in São Paulo and Eugen Gomringer's adventures in VisPo, but even further back to Medieval anagrams, Greek bucolic poems ...more
96 pages
Published February 21st 2010 by Otoliths (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Life Rifle Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Life Rifle Fire

Grady
Paul Siegell and the Permanence of Concrete Poetry

Paul Siegell is an experimentalist, a wordsmith poet who reaches beyond the confines of distilling a poetic thought in the expected way of reading poetry and instead takes us deeply into the world of concrete poetry. Perhaps it is best to begin with a description of the definition of Concrete Poetry, with a bow to those who approach this form with reservation: Concrete Poetry is an 'Art form developed in the 1950s and 1960s based on the visual as
Paul Cunningham
An explosion of significance!!!!!!! For readers, decoding “Wild Life Rifle Fire” will surely be a semantic delight. Siegell’s cleverness swims feverishly in page after page of textual alteration--the words, which have been skillfully decorated in grammatical mutations, provide the reader with a unique, newly accentuated language. The rawness offers readers an opportunity to seek familiarity in (what at first glance seems like) the blatantly unfamiliar. Words develop with the repetition of bracke ...more
Dan
What an interesting experience it is to read "wlrf"! Poetry should be transcendent. Siegell explores a type of poetic transcendence that is simultaneously contemporary and archeological. Are these poems logo designs or hieroglyphs? Are they lyrical or visual? Is it a simple joke or a sublime truth?

The answer is it is all of that. If poetry succeeds in achieving the transcendent, then the result for the reader (in this case, reader/viewer) resides in the synapses-- just too far to grasp, greater
Tamara
Whenever I consider what is innovative about poetry, a field that has its purist sects who prefer Robert Frost, I think about Paul Siegell. He has breathed new life into poetry again. He is bringing back the fun in intelligent word choice. He has returned magic/intrigue to the page. I own all of Siegell's books and when people come to my apartment to visit, it is a collection I can proudly show to other poets as an example of where the imagination can go. Let yourself imagine. Read Paul Siegell.
Michelle
This book seems to want to be flipped like a flip-book. I love it!

Such exciting poetry! Such delicious word play(which I won't point out because you need to discover it for yourself). Subliminal messages are among these pages; there's a fiesta among these pages! There are protest signs, it seems like, among these pages! These pages MOVE!

A highly re-readable book because one can find something new within these pages each time!

I'm proud to have this in my book collection.
Melissa
Poetry wise, if you are looking for "somepn" that's gonna wake you up like "rifle fire," Paul Siegell's Wild Life Rifle Fire is the book for you.

Word play, images, and "meaningful...shit" in thick, bold letters. It makes me want to rip out the pages and frame them all-- turn my house into an art gallery.

The Robert Indiana of poetry, only with more oomph!!!!!

Arlene Ang
Brilliant juxtaposition/placement of letters and symbols in recreating meaning behind common phrases and words. Some are downright ASCII art. My favorites:

dr%
unk

and

LIFE
lived
alive

Landy
I recieved this book free from Goodreads First Reads. I speak English as a second language so I do not completely understand some of the pictures, but I do enjoy the visual artwork of the words, and I do understand some of the pages.
Brad
Visual art. Poetry. Music.

An interweaving of these done with obvious joy and love and maybe even a little mischievousness. Get this book, carry it around in your back pocket, have a good time whenever you open it!
Aaron Belz
A radical primer of shapely words -- mirrored, looped, made tactile. I'll probably assign this to my Creative Writing class as an extreme example of something.
Stacie
Paul Siegell's unique style is fun and refreshing. There's a great spirit in the playfulness and simplicity of WLRF that made it an instant favorite for me.
Paul Siegell
Oct 18, 2010 Paul Siegell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: kayakers of the bioluminescent lagoon, and YOU!
SIGNED COPIES? Author Discount: ONLY $8 - THAT'S WILD!

Very much appreciated review @ dbqp: visualizing poetics!

Mysterious review @ Book Daily!

As a book-length poem, wild life rifle fire is my most “poem could” offering to date, and also my most accessible. (Even my fiancée’s grandmother can hang with this one. She goes, “Oh my, yes, it’s very thought-provoking, artistic—but you’re still way too skinny.” Gotta love it.) Empowered by the Helvetica font and created entirely in Microsoft Word, no
Eric
i like the way paul lived in an attic on atwood. he did it well.
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Sam Kyle
Sam Kyle marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Sarah Renee
Sarah Renee marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Cherene
Cherene marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Israel Padilla
Israel Padilla marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Vasu Sharma
Vasu Sharma marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Morgan Huff
Morgan Huff marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
b.disterhoeft
b.disterhoeft marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Tatiana
Tatiana marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Clara
Clara marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
1199461
PAUL SIEGELL is the author of three books of poetry: wild life rifle fire (Otoliths Books, 2010), jambandbootleg (A-Head Publishing, 2009), Poemergency Room (Otoliths Books, 2008), and the e-chap JΔM> (ungovernable press, 2008).

“Let’s get into the song!” Born on Long Island, educated in Pittsburgh, employed in Orlando, Atlanta and now Philadelphia, Paul is a copywriter by day and a seni
More about Paul Siegell...
jambandbootleg Poemergency Room JAM> Mipoesias: July 2008