Start by marking “Church History in the Fulness of Times” as Want to Read:
Church History in the Fulness of Times

Church History in the Fulness of Times

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  639 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Published 2000 by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

To ask other readers questions about Church History in the Fulness of Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Church History in the Fulness of Times

Aaron
I wanted to like this book; I really did. I wanted to read church history from the church's official perspective and feel like I had obtained a "faithful" view of our sometimes troubling history. This book almost accomplishes that, but not quite. I think if I had not read church history from so many other sources before reading this, I might have liked this more. But because I know there are issues with how JS translated the Book of Mormon or with whether the church sanctioned the Danites, I was ...more
Rickey
I find interesting, especially, the focus on education, the methods of that education and the effects of that education on/with the early members of the restored Church of Jesus Christ. One can read of how most, but not all, lived the true principles of the gospel. This can be helpful to see how these principles have been applied to real life and have not just remained theory or caught up in debate. I am grateful for the honesty of those who have also shared minor and major failures at trying to ...more
Heidi
Read about 1/3 of this in my Nauvoo LDS history class. Never got around to the other 2 courses at BYU, but was grateful when my Institute class in VA finished (at top speed) the other 2/3 I hadn't read. I was raised on Church History, and the love for it set early on in me. So I love this book. If I could only keep one of my Institute manuals, this would be it. Of course, it's marked so heavily I don't think anyone else would want it!

I will need an up-to-date version at some point, since this co
Matthew Carlson
Although lacking in detail on specifics this manual is chocked full of the basic details of LDS Church history. For one who is not seriously interested in history but would nevetheless like to have a good working knowledge of the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints this is would be an excellent choice. Of course, if you want more detail you will have to supplement this volume with other materials.
Tanya
While certainly written to shine a positive light upon the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, this account does not whitewash the darker moments of the church's history. I especially enjoyed the chapters covering the last 50 years, largely because those decades are not generally studied. My only complaint is that the manual is current only up to 2000; I would love to read a history of the last nine years, as well.
Jessie
My parents were called on an LDS mission to Palmyra which inspired me to delve in further to early church history. Luckily we owned this manuel and I read it allmost cover to cover. The details it gives are some that I had both heard and not heard before. It is well put together and the reading feels less like a manuel and more like a book. I enjoyed reading this immensly and learned a great deal.
Michelle
I am glad that I read this book, but sometimes I would find my mind wondering as I read things that were often more statistical then entertaining, I'm certain this is the longest it has ever taken me to finish a book. With all that being said I also recognize I didn't read this book for entertainment value, but rather to further understand the roots and progress of my church.
Breonne
It's a good book overall. Since it is over 600 pages it takes awhile to read and at times I found myself thinking about other things as I read it because it has a ton of facts, definately a manual. I would recommend it to anyone interested in church history and those who want to know a little bit about each prophet.
Marian
Jul 29, 2011 Marian rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Marian by: My hubby
This is an Institute manual. I told Edward that I didn't feel like I knew enough about Church History, and he pulled out this manual and told me to start reading. I've found that I already knew more than I thought, but I am learning so much.
Christy
I just finished reading this Church History manuel for the third time, and I'm still impressed with it. You can dip into it anywhere, and come out with new insight into people, places, and events. I highly recommend it.
Becky
I read this book in addition to the Doctrine and Covenants when I taught this subject in Gospel Doctrine. It was a great help and gave insight as to what was going on during the time of each revelation.
Gregg B. Jensen
This book has great information about the Prophet, Joseph Smith, and the trials he faced in his extraordinary life. It led to my testimony of him and then of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Savanna
It has been fun so far reading the history of our Church. Now the challange will be if I will remember it all when I am done! ;)
Megan Clark
First half was WAY more interesting than the second half. Glued to the first fourth,skimmed the last fourth.
Jeffrey
This was the manuel for a religion class at BYU. Good thorough guide of the history of the church.
Abe
One of my favorite Church books. Read it 3 times on my mission and loved it each time.
Anna
Fabulous review on everything! Highly recommended for a quick refresher course.
Jeniann
I love this book because it gives such a great overall history of the Church
Sam
Fabulous book for Church history. There isn't one out there that can match it.
Don Gubler
Some good stories but mostly secondary information.
David
The definitive accurate source for Church History.
Albert
Highly recommended for anyone and everyone.
Patti
I love church history! Great book!
Kimberly
Oct 03, 2010 Kimberly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Whole World
gained my testimony reading this
Ralph Troy
a great book of lds history.
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
  • Our Latter-Day Hymns: The Stories and the Messages
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family
  • Truth Restored
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Mormon Doctrine
  • Religions of the World: A Latter-Day Saint View
  • Book of Mormon Reference Companion
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Doctrines of Salvation. Complete Three-Volume Work [3-in-1]. Sermons & Writings of Joseph Fielding Smith.
  • Pure in Heart
  • When Times Are Tough: 5 Scriptures That Will Help You Get Through Almost Anything
Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price Preach My Gospel: A Guide To Missionary Service Hymns of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith Daughters in My Kingdom: The History and Work of Relief Society