Start by marking “Church History in the Fulness of Times” as Want to Read:
Church History in the Fulness of Times

Church History in the Fulness of Times

Published 2000 by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Church History in the Fulness of Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Church History in the Fulness of Times

Rickey
I find interesting, especially, the focus on education, the methods of that education and the effects of that education on/with the early members of the restored Church of Jesus Christ. One can read of how most, but not all, lived the true principles of the gospel. This can be helpful to see how these principles have been applied to real life and have not just remained theory or caught up in debate. I am grateful for the honesty of those who have also shared minor and major failures at trying to ...more
Heidi-Marie
Read about 1/3 of this in my Nauvoo LDS history class. Never got around to the other 2 courses at BYU, but was grateful when my Institute class in VA finished (at top speed) the other 2/3 I hadn't read. I was raised on Church History, and the love for it set early on in me. So I love this book. If I could only keep one of my Institute manuals, this would be it. Of course, it's marked so heavily I don't think anyone else would want it!

I will need an up-to-date version at some point, since this co
Tanya
Dec 18, 2009 Tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, i-own-it
While certainly written to shine a positive light upon the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, this account does not whitewash the darker moments of the church's history. I especially enjoyed the chapters covering the last 50 years, largely because those decades are not generally studied. My only complaint is that the manual is current only up to 2000; I would love to read a history of the last nine years, as well.
Matthew Carlson
Oct 16, 2008 Matthew Carlson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although lacking in detail on specifics this manual is chocked full of the basic details of LDS Church history. For one who is not seriously interested in history but would nevetheless like to have a good working knowledge of the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints this is would be an excellent choice. Of course, if you want more detail you will have to supplement this volume with other materials.
Gregg B. Jensen
Jan 19, 2013 Gregg B. Jensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has great information about the Prophet, Joseph Smith, and the trials he faced in his extraordinary life. It led to my testimony of him and then of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Kaylynn Johnsen
Sep 03, 2015 Kaylynn Johnsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A comprehensive account of the LDS church. It's all here, anyone can read it. After reading what the pioneers and early members of the church went through I have a deeper appreciation for their sacrifices and their faith.
Marian
Jul 29, 2011 Marian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Marian by: My hubby
This is an Institute manual. I told Edward that I didn't feel like I knew enough about Church History, and he pulled out this manual and told me to start reading. I've found that I already knew more than I thought, but I am learning so much.
Aaron
Apr 25, 2014 Aaron rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book; I really did. I wanted to read church history from the church's official perspective and feel like I had obtained a "faithful" view of our sometimes troubling history. This book almost accomplishes that, but not quite. I think if I had not read church history from so many other sources before reading this, I might have liked this more. But because I know there are issues with how JS translated the Book of Mormon or with whether the church sanctioned the Danites, I was ...more
Jessie
May 01, 2012 Jessie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational, own, church
My parents were called on an LDS mission to Palmyra which inspired me to delve in further to early church history. Luckily we owned this manuel and I read it allmost cover to cover. The details it gives are some that I had both heard and not heard before. It is well put together and the reading feels less like a manuel and more like a book. I enjoyed reading this immensly and learned a great deal.
Breonne
Apr 08, 2009 Breonne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good book overall. Since it is over 600 pages it takes awhile to read and at times I found myself thinking about other things as I read it because it has a ton of facts, definately a manual. I would recommend it to anyone interested in church history and those who want to know a little bit about each prophet.
Faithful Freja
I taught a religious institute class and used this as my syllabus. It has excellent references and topics to explore, particularly with post 19th Century church history. There are, of course, some events and topics that are skimmed over, meaning the book is not 100% comprehensive, but certainly enough.
Michelle
Apr 06, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am glad that I read this book, but sometimes I would find my mind wondering as I read things that were often more statistical then entertaining, I'm certain this is the longest it has ever taken me to finish a book. With all that being said I also recognize I didn't read this book for entertainment value, but rather to further understand the roots and progress of my church.
Becky
Mar 28, 2009 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in addition to the Doctrine and Covenants when I taught this subject in Gospel Doctrine. It was a great help and gave insight as to what was going on during the time of each revelation.
Christy
Jan 25, 2009 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this Church History manuel for the third time, and I'm still impressed with it. You can dip into it anywhere, and come out with new insight into people, places, and events. I highly recommend it.
Beth Bennett
Mar 04, 2016 Beth Bennett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love history

Learned far more than I thought I would. The research was incredible and it raised more questions I wanted to ask.
Megan Clark
First half was WAY more interesting than the second half. Glued to the first fourth,skimmed the last fourth.
Savanna
Feb 02, 2009 Savanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been fun so far reading the history of our Church. Now the challange will be if I will remember it all when I am done! ;)
Jeffrey
Mar 16, 2012 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
This was the manuel for a religion class at BYU. Good thorough guide of the history of the church.
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2009
Anavon
Anavon rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2012
Chuck
Chuck rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Jared
Jared rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2011
Rick
Rick rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Georgia
Georgia rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2013
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2012
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2012
Jevon
Jevon rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2013
David Fisher
David Fisher rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2010
  • Our Latter-Day Hymns: The Stories and the Messages
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family
  • A Witness and a Warning: A Modern-Day Prophet Testifies of the Book of Mormon
  • Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • The History of Joseph Smith by His Mother
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Our Search for Happiness
  • When Times Are Tough: 5 Scriptures That Will Help You Get Through Almost Anything
  • Religions of the World: A Latter-Day Saint View
  • The First 2,000 Years:  From Adam To Abraham
  • Doctrines of Salvation. Complete Three-Volume Work [3-in-1]. Sermons & Writings of Joseph Fielding Smith.