Start by marking “Teaching Content Outrageously: How to Captivate All Students and Accelerate Learning, Grades 4-12” as Want to Read:

A powerful instructional method for "hooking" students on academic learning Drawing from a teaching model designed to banish boredom and student apathy, this book explains how dramatic practices can serve as powerful tools for enlivening lessons and captivating students, even the most resistant learners. Filled with intriguing classroom examples, Pogrow shows how any teach ...more
Published January 5th 2010 by Jossey-Bass (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching Content Outrageously, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching Content Outrageously

Shawn Bird
Oct 09, 2014 Shawn Bird rated it really liked it
While I'm not quite convinced that the strategies suggested are the panacea Pogrow declares them to be, and the work is lacking any significant data to support its assertions of transformative practice, this is a very inspiring book.

The ideas are explained well, and Pogrow is an enthusiastic cheer-leader. It's difficult not to catch his infectious enthusiasm for including dramatic surprises to invigorate sad lessons. Definitely worth a try.

I based a presentation at grad school on this work.
Terry
Jun 19, 2013 Terry rated it it was ok
I am the first person to admit that my front-of-classroom persona is really...pretty goofy. What can I say? I'd love to be that cool, remote, icily intellectual teacher/poet (*cough*) but I just can't make that happen. SO, you would think I would respond enthusiastically to this book, but...no. I really found it ridiculous!!! And I am 1,000% TOTALLY the type of teacher to do some of the the things suggested in this book! But reading about OTHER teachers doing it made me facepalm, so to speak. Ma ...more
Jonna Higgins-Freese
No idea why I asked for this book on ILL at work. Although it was an interesting view into a way to use drama to engage students -- the teacher acting as a single mother in 1920s New York and trying to figure out how to solve her problems -- she asks the students to read a chapter in their books to tell her what to do (it's about forming unions). Or the students who were taken to a "coffee house" in 1950s Beat New York to read poetry.
Zahreen
May 16, 2010 Zahreen rated it liked it
Shelves: teacher-books
I wish I had read this book at the beginning of my first year of teaching, when I had more energy for planning! If I stay another year in the classroom, I will definitely try to plan some lessons using the lesson plan format in the book.
Holly Jorgenson
May 17, 2010 Holly Jorgenson rated it really liked it
I love the ideas in this book, but I'm not sure they would work in the day to day classroom.
Wee Nam Chua
Apr 22, 2010 Wee Nam Chua rated it liked it
how we can teach without boring our kids to death
Josey De Rossi
Josey De Rossi rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Cass
Cass rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Al
Al rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Shonica
Shonica marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Marlee Messner
Marlee Messner is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2016
Mikayla
Mikayla marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Eyereenuh
Eyereenuh is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2015
Chelsea Drouin
Chelsea Drouin marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Ramon Leon
Ramon Leon marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Emily Powell
Emily Powell marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Kathleen Mahaney
Kathleen Mahaney rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2014
Sasha Cameron
Sasha Cameron marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Lyndsey Heng
Lyndsey Heng marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Tim Scholze
Tim Scholze rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Naomi 'naz'
Naomi 'naz' marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2013
Shellie L.
Shellie L. is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2013
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2013