read book* *Different edition

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  489 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Gene has been dragged by his mother to an historical tourist spot, so that he can meet and get to know his new stepbrother. But the stepbrother is the last person he expected to see, and the history in the tower proves to be not as dead and buried as Gene would prefer.

This is an alternate cover edition for ISBN 9781936202140.
Published January 2010 by Less Than Three Press

Among the Living by Jordan Castillo PriceThe Ghost on My Couch by L.A. GilbertCamp Hell by Jordan Castillo PriceCriss Cross by Jordan Castillo PriceBody and Soul by Jordan Castillo Price
Best Gay Ghosts
54th out of 120 books — 152 voters
The Foxhole Court by Nora SakavicThe Raven King by Nora SakavicEvenfall by Santino HassellWiddershins by Jordan L. HawkLiar by Jane Seville
M/M Romance With (Mostly) White Covers
62nd out of 74 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Kati
What a lovely story. And it just proves that people should talk to each other instead of jumping to conclusions because it leads to misunderstandings and a lot of hurt. I felt really sorry for the ghosts but their interference was really sweet - and funny. Also, Gene's mom was awesome and his relationship with her even more so!
L-D
I have been reading a lot of Megan Derr shorts and I like her writing. This short story wasn't too bad. I liked the characters and knew that somehow there would be a heart-to-heart about their misunderstanding years past and I wasn't quite sure how that was going to work out. I personally didn't like the ending and didn't buy into the reason for Teddy's betrayal. (view spoiler)...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Lilacs is short and sweet. The animosity between Gene and Teddy starts out strong, on account of Teddy sleeping with Gene’s (ex) boyfriend. In an effort to appease their parents, however, they’re civilized to each other. It takes a pair of ghosts, who are ironically their ancestors, to bring the two of them back together, sorting out all the issues regarding why Teddy slept with the ex in the first place.

This is definitely an easy read and I loved the writing style. I zipped through this one fas...more
Yvonne
May 16, 2011 Yvonne rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
The writing style needed to be improved on this book. It was hard to tell who was talking between the ghosts & the two MC. It was very choppy with frequent pov changes that was hard to keep up with. The story may have had a point but it was hard to discern it because I was frequently distracted by how this was written. It felt not ready for publication.
Chris
Ok free short paranormal m/m romance about two guys who hate each other due to a big misunderstanding... and then discover they're about to become stepbrothers.
Roger Grace
Now I was surprised by how much I liked this book, because ghost story normally aren't up my alley. The enemies to lovers angle is understandable and the meddling gay ghosts getting Teddy and Gene to talk about the issue that caused them to become enemies and clear up the misunderstanding.
Matthew
Cute little short story. Sweet. I enjoyed it. Not sure I completely approve of the characters' actions, but they look good together... perhaps they deserve each other, even if they aren't perfect people.
lesley dawn wallace
Lilacs

lilacs is a great read it really gets you going . I love the ghosts in the book to funny
Sarina
I like the ghost aspect and I guess it all counts as a HEA but I think it all wrapped up too easily. Gene had every right to be pissed and hurt and I find myself still upset on his behalf even after the ending. The story was cute and I like the historical tie in but it wasn't my favorite by this author. I'm not sure if I'll read it again.
Xondra Day
I didn't like the characters. I thought they were too angry and nasty. I admit to skimming along at certain points, but it was the characters that really killed it for me.
Alaska
Although sad in some ways I really liked this short story. Megan Derr just knows how to fill pages with live, no matter how few pages ;) I always like it a lot when the MCs hate each other in the beginning and turn slowy to each other (view spoiler). And I am a big sucker for secret or symbolic messages, like the meaning of a flower. Now I always have...more
Ayanna
I thought it developed rather quickly. I mean, it was a short, so there's that, but still. It all seemed rather rushed.

The story itself isn't anything special. In fact, I read one soon after reading this one that was exactly the same plot basis. Still, it's a nice, sweet story, and the characters do rather come to life, even for how briefly they're shown, but Derr's good at that.
Jessica  `~Blahyze~`
I didn't really get into the ghost thing although I did like the story mostly. I liked Gene and Teddy and it was good that Gene finally found out the real story about what really happened with Robert (Gene's Ex) and Teddy. Not a bad read.
Jp
I had to laugh so much. These boys were quite charming and I could very well understand their reasoning and frustration. I really liked this real world setting. It could have happened right next to me.
Tamela
I loved the story and everything about it. The only thing I regretted was how the ghost lovers had met their end. So glad that Teddy and Gene took the ghosts "advice" and talked. Good story, I recommend.
Cherie Noel
This was super cute! And *I am a greedy wench* my only quibble is I would have it be longer. Just so I could have spent longer travelling from the beginning of the story to the end of it. :)
Ralph
I wasn't fond with the characters and the conflict was resolved a little too quickly for my tastes. But the story was well written it was free so I can't really complain.
garnetyuna
I was totally disappointed with this story :( I've read it 'cause I liked the author's other stories, but this... it left me displeased.
Melanie~~
An interesting take on just-get-your-heads-out-of-your-asses. :-) I liked it. Great short.
Ravyn
Short and simple. As with many of Megan Derr's stories, it left me wishing for more.
BTina
kind of fluffy ghost story? 3.5 stars because I remember?
Rachel
Dec 31, 2013 Rachel marked it as owned-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unread-mm
*downloaded free on ARE
Deborah  Jones
Deborah Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Patty
Patty marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • Arson of the Heart
  • That Famous Happy End
  • Midnight
  • Fairytales Slashed 4
  • Freedom's Souvenir
  • Gregori's Ghost
  • Azure Seas & Dragon Isles
  • Friction (Dominion, #0.1)
  • The Way to Will
  • Autopilot Engaged (Turbulence, #2)
  • Zombie Wonderland
  • A Shadow of a Dream
  • The Storyteller
  • Darkling Mine
  • Lazy Sundays
  • A Cut Above the Rest
  • Kevin's Stories: Volume 1 (Car Wash, #2)
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com
maderr.tumblr.com
maderr.livejournal.com
less...more
More about Megan Derr...
The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1) The High King's Golden Tongue (Love is Always Write) Dance in the Dark (Dance with the Devil, #2) Dance with the Devil (Dance with the Devil, #1) Prisoner (Kria, #1)