Start by marking “Angels All Over Town ” as Want to Read:
Angels All Over Town

Angels All Over Town

3.39  ·  Rating Details ·  1,110 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Luanne Rice made her triumphant debut with this delicately drawn but emotionally powerful portrait of a woman’s extraordinary journey of the heart and soul–a timeless story of love, sisterhood, and the hope that emerges even out of heartbreak....

Una Cavan doesn’t believe in ghosts. But ghosts seem to believe in her. At least, her father’s
Published March 28th 2006 by Bantam (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Angels All Over Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angels All Over Town

Machel
Sep 15, 2010 Machel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Luanne Rice's first novel. I have always wanted to read her first book and am thrilled to finally have read it. I have read mixed reviews from others, but from my perspective, I just thought it was a wonderful read regarding one period in three sister's lives. In the 80's I loved Soap Operas, ao I loved reading about Una. What I liked about this novel was the grittiness and the mistakes revealed in all of the characters, which kept me reading more. I liked how this was not a plot driven ...more
Jo-Ann Mapson
Aug 12, 2011 Jo-Ann Mapson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's informative and kind of spellbinding to read Luanne Rice's first book. All her emerging talents are present here, and I find all of her books a great read I can share with my mother and with friends.
Jennie
Jan 28, 2011 Jennie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-books-read
I would say this book is so-so. I kept waiting for a big conflict. The main character Una was kind of blah. She seemed to just pass over everything. OK pool book, but not one I could really get into.
Phylisha Stone
First time reader of this authors book. A quick read for me. Seemed to just another family conflict book.
R.B. Austin
Vicki
Sep 13, 2012 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was Luanne Rice's first novel and is the fourth book I've read of hers.

The first part when Una has just finished another cup of coffee, grabbs an old Redbook and heads for the bathroom. There she finds her father seated on the toilet, reading the New York Daily News. Her heart is racing from embarrassment, not shock. She did not ask herself how her father, a man who had died wearing two colostomy bags, could be taking a normal shit. Nor did she wonder why he was reading the Daily News, a ta
Freud's Nightmare
In my opinion, Angels All Over Town was a structural atrocity. However, the storyline itself was good – assuming you could identify it, of course – and the author has a promising capability to communicate complex emotions often associated with difficult situations. That being said, unless you are really bored, this one is probably best left to women who can directly relate to the character’s personal issues: sibling relationships, adult children of alcoholics, loss of a close relative or friend ...more
Sita
Jan 10, 2009 Sita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I picked this because I was intrigues by the introduction. Said that this is the first book by Luanne Rice. So of course I had to read it. It's ok. I prefer Jane Green. Her depiction of the sisterly life is pretty spot on and I like reading about them but the lovelife bit is a touch grating for me. Una, the protagonist seems to just jumped in bed with the first man available who is nice to her. After a while it gets annoying. Hello, your backbone is calling you, said it misses you! Not sure if I ...more
Earla Quesenberry
Loved this book. Una Cavan sees her father's ghost just when she needs him most. The Cavan women (sisters) are growing up and going their separate ways and Una falls in love and visits the beaches of Connecticut but almost loses her love due to her acting career. She is a soap actress that finally gets a big screen movie part but in the meantime the paparazzi are linking her to the movies producer and her man back home is tormented by the media coverage and pictures. Finally she goes back home a ...more
Morgan Brunelle
A little more superficial than my usual taste, but it was a fast read and I could relate to the main character. I think her insecurities were endearing, and the bond she needed to feel with her family (especially her sisters) clicked with me immediately. I'm also one of those girls who once dreamed of becoming a big movie star, so the acting part enthrilled me. Not much depth, but has meaning that is easy to pick up on if you come from a close family. Happy ending, I overall really enjoyed this ...more
Sandy Lo
Luanne Rice is one of my favorite contemporary authors. "Angels All Over Town" is her first novel, and it shows. As a writer myself, I also think my first novel doesn't flow as well as my others. With that being said, like all of Rice's books, I still enjoyed the well thought out characters, the complications of family and love story. The beginning felt a little out of place with the rest of the book, but by the end I could connect it. Still, I wish the ghostly encounters were tied in a little m ...more
Kathryn
May 23, 2009 Kathryn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't even finish this. It was the author's first book and it was the first book that I have read by this author. Perhaps it was the superficial nature of it, or the fact that the plot was slow to go anywhere., but I couldn't finish reading it. As well I am giving away all of her books that I picked up. Even though they were free, if the rest are as annoying, I can't be bothered to read them.
Lisa Lap
I really wanted to like this book but unfortunately it fell completely flat in my opinion. The main character, Una wasn't very likeable. The storyline jumped from a moment of happiness to a moment of insecurity within a paragraph to the point that I wanted to throttle her for not having a backbone. I know this was supposed to be a fun, light-hearted read, but it's one of those books I really could have just done without.

Until next time,
~Lisa
Angie W
Dec 11, 2015 Angie W rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For a first book I would have to say it is good. I read it not knowing it was the author's first book and kept comparing it to others by her, other much better novels by her. Overall, I was disappointed by this book and finished it just because I finish what I start, not because I really enjoyed it.

I would have liked to have seen the relationship between the main character and her sister Lily more developed.
Abigail Perrott
Dec 10, 2009 Abigail Perrott rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Another Luanne Rice book that was a complete disappointment. I found out this was her first novel so I was excited to read it. Half way thru the book I was still waiting for it to get good and it never did. The storyline was pointless and it never came to a real conclusion at the end. Some of her books are awesome and others, like this, are just a waste of my time!
Pamela
Nov 24, 2015 Pamela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I totally enjoy this author, and was intrigued to read her first book. But I just didn't love it as it fell flat and never went anywhere. The premise was good ... so now that Rice has more experience with writing maybe she should re-write this one as there is so much promise. It could be so much more.
Carrie
Jan 06, 2013 Carrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't love this one as much as others, mostly because there just wasn't much of a plot. I kept waiting for a climax, or some sort of conflict and it just never happened.

As I read some of the other reviews, I understand that this was Rice's first novel...I can see that and I've definitely really liked some of her later novels much better!
Pat
Aug 23, 2014 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. Lighthearted and funny. The story centered around 3 sisters trying to navigate life while coming to terms with their fathers death and their mothers indifference. In the end, they remained close and their tight bond held. I usually enjoy Luanne Rice's books and this one delivered for me.
Becky
Jul 10, 2014 Becky rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You can definitely tell that this is her first book. Thankfully, it wasn't the first that I had read from her-- Otherwise it would have been the last. The plot was barely discernible, and the blurb on the back had the intriguing bit about there perhaps being witches-- The only witches in the book are when someone talks about the Salem Witch Trials.
Janie
Apr 23, 2013 Janie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found it slightly boring, skipping over sections laden with detail after detail. While the relationship between the sisters and their men I enjoyed, there wasn't any real back story to get a true sense of who they were. A good first novel for Rice who continued to grow with her following books. I still love her writing.
Mandy Eve-Barnett
Although the story was engaging, I was rather disappointed that the ghost did not 'visit' as often as I envisaged when I read the blurb. That was the reason I chose the book in the first place.
I did like the characters and the sister's relationships.
Lisa
Oct 02, 2010 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: luanne-rice
You can tell this is her first book. The plot was slow and there was too much of it during the Europe/France phase. I would have been more interested in Lila's marriage and what was going on there than reading about this bizarre flaky director.
TheRLPL Rice Lake Public Library
Patron Review:
The painful thoughts of an unmarried soap opera actress suffering from losing her sisters to marriage and wondering if her significant other loves her. Sometimes depressing but interesting.
June
Sep 25, 2010 June rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghost, sisters
Maybe this should be one and a half because I did finish it. However, this is the first Luanne Rice book I haven't liked. Everyone seemed so clueless about their relationships and maybe I'm a prude, but the sex and masturbation made me want to stop reading.
Doris
Apr 13, 2009 Doris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good enough for a long trip but not much more. It promises ghosts and spirits talking and stalking but - the first view is a maybe, the second is unbelievable, the next are obvious dreams, and don't occur til near the end of the book.
Bonnie Tharp
While this was an enjoyable book to read I was able to put it down. It was fun to read about these 3 very different sisters and their relationships. The author hinted at some very deep issues, but in the end skirted over them. All in all I would recommend it for light reading.
Heather Guerena
May 10, 2007 Heather Guerena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: relaxing/romance
Shelves: braincandy
I just grabbed this book off the bookstore shelf as something to pass the time. It was a good book, but a little too romance-novel-esk for me. I could have done without some of the....descriptions. Otherwise, it was well written and a good story line about sisters and finding your way.
Amymae1986
A story about the lives of three very close sisters. I couldn't get into the story. It was bland and dull and exciting for only 20 of its 400 pages.
Julie
Jan 07, 2011 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
egghhh! I was duped by the title and flap... Suckered into reading what was a stupid romance - and nothing more. So much promise. No delivery.
Kitty Tomlinson
I like Luanne Rice's style but it's obvious that this was one of her first books. She's come a long way since then.
  • Cat in a Topaz Tango (Midnight Louie, #21)
  • Ride With Me
  • Twelve Times Blessed
  • Angels Everywhere
  • Taste of Honey (Carson Springs, #2)
  • Looking for Peyton Place
  • Raising Confident Girls: 100 Tips For Parents And Teachers
  • All We Know of Love
  • The Office Girls
  • The Lynmara Legacy
  • Summertime
  • Cotton Song: A Novel
  • The Colour of Hope
  • Sisters Found (Hawk's Way, #13)
  • The Romantic Adventures Of A Milkmaid
  • The Penny Whistle
  • Summer in Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #3)
  • The Alpine Recluse (Emma Lord, #18)
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-two novels including THE SECRET LANGUAGE OF SISTERS, her first YA novel. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She divides her time between New York City and the Connecticut shoreline.
More about Luanne Rice...