Start by marking “Angels All Over Town ” as Want to Read:
Angels All Over Town

Angels All Over Town

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  930 ratings  ·  51 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Luanne Rice made her triumphant debut with this delicately drawn but emotionally powerful portrait of a woman’s extraordinary journey of the heart and soul–a timeless story of love, sisterhood, and the hope that emerges even out of heartbreak....

Una Cavan doesn’t believe in ghosts. But ghosts seem to believe in her. At least, her father’s...more
Published March 28th 2006 by Bantam (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Angels All Over Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angels All Over Town

Machel
This is Luanne Rice's first novel. I have always wanted to read her first book and am thrilled to finally have read it. I have read mixed reviews from others, but from my perspective, I just thought it was a wonderful read regarding one period in three sister's lives. In the 80's I loved Soap Operas, ao I loved reading about Una. What I liked about this novel was the grittiness and the mistakes revealed in all of the characters, which kept me reading more. I liked how this was not a plot driven...more
R.B. Austin
Jo-Ann Mapson
It's informative and kind of spellbinding to read Luanne Rice's first book. All her emerging talents are present here, and I find all of her books a great read I can share with my mother and with friends.
Jennie
I would say this book is so-so. I kept waiting for a big conflict. The main character Una was kind of blah. She seemed to just pass over everything. OK pool book, but not one I could really get into.
Becky
You can definitely tell that this is her first book. Thankfully, it wasn't the first that I had read from her-- Otherwise it would have been the last. The plot was barely discernible, and the blurb on the back had the intriguing bit about there perhaps being witches-- The only witches in the book are when someone talks about the Salem Witch Trials.
Vicki
This was Luanne Rice's first novel and is the fourth book I've read of hers.

The first part when Una has just finished another cup of coffee, grabbs an old Redbook and heads for the bathroom. There she finds her father seated on the toilet, reading the New York Daily News. Her heart is racing from embarrassment, not shock. She did not ask herself how her father, a man who had died wearing two colostomy bags, could be taking a normal shit. Nor did she wonder why he was reading the Daily News, a ta...more
Pat
I enjoyed this book. Lighthearted and funny. The story centered around 3 sisters trying to navigate life while coming to terms with their fathers death and their mothers indifference. In the end, they remained close and their tight bond held. I usually enjoy Luanne Rice's books and this one delivered for me.
Freud's Nightmare
In my opinion, Angels All Over Town was a structural atrocity. However, the storyline itself was good – assuming you could identify it, of course – and the author has a promising capability to communicate complex emotions often associated with difficult situations. That being said, unless you are really bored, this one is probably best left to women who can directly relate to the character’s personal issues: sibling relationships, adult children of alcoholics, loss of a close relative or friend...more
Hetty
Early Luanne Rice. I like the way she writes ala Anne Taylor. Great detail.
Earla Quesenberry
Loved this book. Una Cavan sees her father's ghost just when she needs him most. The Cavan women (sisters) are growing up and going their separate ways and Una falls in love and visits the beaches of Connecticut but almost loses her love due to her acting career. She is a soap actress that finally gets a big screen movie part but in the meantime the paparazzi are linking her to the movies producer and her man back home is tormented by the media coverage and pictures. Finally she goes back home a...more
Claudia Irene
This book is awesome!!
I like how the author describe the landscape of the story and I love all the character of the story. I would love to live near the beach like Margo.
Sandy Lo
Luanne Rice is one of my favorite contemporary authors. "Angels All Over Town" is her first novel, and it shows. As a writer myself, I also think my first novel doesn't flow as well as my others. With that being said, like all of Rice's books, I still enjoyed the well thought out characters, the complications of family and love story. The beginning felt a little out of place with the rest of the book, but by the end I could connect it. Still, I wish the ghostly encounters were tied in a little m...more
Sita
I picked this because I was intrigues by the introduction. Said that this is the first book by Luanne Rice. So of course I had to read it. It's ok. I prefer Jane Green. Her depiction of the sisterly life is pretty spot on and I like reading about them but the lovelife bit is a touch grating for me. Una, the protagonist seems to just jumped in bed with the first man available who is nice to her. After a while it gets annoying. Hello, your backbone is calling you, said it misses you! Not sure if I...more
Morgan Brunelle
A little more superficial than my usual taste, but it was a fast read and I could relate to the main character. I think her insecurities were endearing, and the bond she needed to feel with her family (especially her sisters) clicked with me immediately. I'm also one of those girls who once dreamed of becoming a big movie star, so the acting part enthrilled me. Not much depth, but has meaning that is easy to pick up on if you come from a close family. Happy ending, I overall really enjoyed this...more
Lisa Lap
I really wanted to like this book but unfortunately it fell completely flat in my opinion. The main character, Una wasn't very likeable. The storyline jumped from a moment of happiness to a moment of insecurity within a paragraph to the point that I wanted to throttle her for not having a backbone. I know this was supposed to be a fun, light-hearted read, but it's one of those books I really could have just done without.

Until next time,
~Lisa
Kathryn
I couldn't even finish this. It was the author's first book and it was the first book that I have read by this author. Perhaps it was the superficial nature of it, or the fact that the plot was slow to go anywhere., but I couldn't finish reading it. As well I am giving away all of her books that I picked up. Even though they were free, if the rest are as annoying, I can't be bothered to read them.
Abigail Perrott
Another Luanne Rice book that was a complete disappointment. I found out this was her first novel so I was excited to read it. Half way thru the book I was still waiting for it to get good and it never did. The storyline was pointless and it never came to a real conclusion at the end. Some of her books are awesome and others, like this, are just a waste of my time!
Janie
Found it slightly boring, skipping over sections laden with detail after detail. While the relationship between the sisters and their men I enjoyed, there wasn't any real back story to get a true sense of who they were. A good first novel for Rice who continued to grow with her following books. I still love her writing.
Heather Guerena
Jun 10, 2007 Heather Guerena rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: relaxing/romance
Shelves: braincandy
I just grabbed this book off the bookstore shelf as something to pass the time. It was a good book, but a little too romance-novel-esk for me. I could have done without some of the....descriptions. Otherwise, it was well written and a good story line about sisters and finding your way.
Bonnie Tharp
While this was an enjoyable book to read I was able to put it down. It was fun to read about these 3 very different sisters and their relationships. The author hinted at some very deep issues, but in the end skirted over them. All in all I would recommend it for light reading.
June
Maybe this should be one and a half because I did finish it. However, this is the first Luanne Rice book I haven't liked. Everyone seemed so clueless about their relationships and maybe I'm a prude, but the sex and masturbation made me want to stop reading.
Lisa
You can tell this is her first book. The plot was slow and there was too much of it during the Europe/France phase. I would have been more interested in Lila's marriage and what was going on there than reading about this bizarre flaky director.
Doris
Good enough for a long trip but not much more. It promises ghosts and spirits talking and stalking but - the first view is a maybe, the second is unbelievable, the next are obvious dreams, and don't occur til near the end of the book.
TheRLPL Rice Lake Public Library
Patron Review:
The painful thoughts of an unmarried soap opera actress suffering from losing her sisters to marriage and wondering if her significant other loves her. Sometimes depressing but interesting.
Ann
VERY light weight, fast read. Her first in a series of dozens. I didn't identify with her New York cast, but it was an easy mix of characters. I won't read any of the others.
Amymae1986
A story about the lives of three very close sisters. I couldn't get into the story. It was bland and dull and exciting for only 20 of its 400 pages.
Jyoti Singh
Wasnt a favorite...thought it would be better since i have two sisters and was able to relate to the main character but still was not the greatest
Melissa
three stars seems generous...if i had half/quarter stars, i would give it a 2.75. it seemed too easy, and too dated to warrant a higher rating.
Julie
egghhh! I was duped by the title and flap... Suckered into reading what was a stupid romance - and nothing more. So much promise. No delivery.
Suzanne
This was her first book She has really improved a lot, This one was just boring. I have loved everything else I have read by Rice
  • Looking for Peyton Place
  • Taste of Honey
  • Cat in a Topaz Tango (Midnight Louie, #21)
  • Texas Wildflower
  • Twelve Times Blessed
  • Angels Everywhere
  • Summer of Light
  • The Goodbye Summer
  • Charming Lily
  • The Wisdom of Menopause: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing During the Change
  • A Place Called Wiregrass
  • The Ocean Inside
  • The Alpine Pursuit
  • Nowhere Else on Earth
  • Puppies For Dummies (For Dummies: Pets)
  • What's Happening to My Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents and Daughters
  • The Legend MacKinnon
  • Foxfire
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-one novels including THE LEMON ORCHARD. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She divides her time between New York City and the Connecticut shoreline.
More about Luanne Rice...
Beach Girls Follow the Stars Home Firefly Beach The Geometry of Sisters (Newport, Rhode Island, #1) Cloud Nine