Start by marking “Bedknobs and Beanstalks” as Want to Read:
Bedknobs and Beanstalks

Bedknobs and Beanstalks

An erotic collection of m/m fairy tales!

Once upon a time. As children, those four words told us we were about to enter a brand-new world: scarier, happier, more enchanted than our everyday life. No matter our own particular expectations and experience with fairy tales, we knew we were in for a wild ride. Handsome princes would save beautiful damsels in distress and the ogr
Paperback, 1st Edition, 272 pages
Published December 9th 2010 by Ravenous Romance (first published October 20th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bedknobs and Beanstalks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedknobs and Beanstalks

The Dragon King by Candace BlevinsThe Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by A.N. RoquelaureGoldie's Locks by H. StoneBedknobs and Beanstalks by E.M. LynleyTapestry by Karen Ranney
Sexy fairy tale romances
4th out of 36 books — 7 voters
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineBeastly by Alex FlinnThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleMy Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. HiltonFairest by Gail Carson Levine
Best Retold Fairytales
149th out of 168 books — 139 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathy
Oct 30, 2009 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology, glbt, keeper, m-m, ebook
I love anthologies, but I've learned to expect that not all the stories in it are going to appeal to me. Well, this anthology threw that assumption out the window!
There are nine very different stories and each one of them, in my opinion, is a winner.
Who knew that one minute I'd be reading a retelling ~ and a very naughty one at that ~ of Jack and the Beanstalk and then the next I was in ancient Japan's era of the Samurai ~ and sexy? ooh ya. What's really amazing is that they actually go togethe
Angel Martinez
Jul 23, 2010 Angel Martinez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I realize to my chagrin that I never reviewed this collection. Bad, bad reader. So here goes - Anthologies are tricky to review since it's impossible to like all of the stories equally. There are a couple of stories here I would have given 3'2 and a couple would receive 5's if they were standalone, so I've taken the average for the whole.

EM doesn't have an entry herself in this set but she does a fabulous job as editor, a harder prospect than one might imagine. Themed anthologies can be deadly b
Carole
Oct 26, 2009 Carole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

It's always hard to rate an anthology because the writing skill and enjoyment potential is different for each story, but here the stories are of uniformly high quality. All of the stories are cleverly fleshed out, using the original tale as a skeleton and branching out into new and imaginative territory. My favorite story has to be Ashes and Crystal, because who would have thought of the poor prince with a really large slipper because the disappearing beauty is really a guy. I also loved Jack an
Jenre
Dec 23, 2009 Jenre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, anthologies
I'm a big fantasy fan and I love inverted fairy stories so this anthology of short stories all of which take an established fairy story or ideas from fairy stories and turns it around into a m/m story seemed just the thing for me. Surprisingly for an anthology, all the stories were well written with clever plots and interesting characters. In fact, it's been quite difficult for me to single out one or two stories to highlight as my favourites.

Swan Made by Mina Kelly caught my interest because it
Christy Stewart
The first story is titled "Peenstalk"

5 stars.
Isa K.
Some of these tales are wicked and laugh at loud funny. To be honest though, I was expecting something darker and edgier from the description, but really most of these tales are more of Disney-style sweet fairytales with sex scenes thrown in. There's a lot of true love (always instantaneous) and a lot of rejecting the princess you're supposed to marry for the handsome woodcutter ... not really my thing.

But it was worth it for the Hansel and Gretel parody (and Jack and the Beanstalk was brilliant
Jeff Erno
I really enjoyed every story in this anthology, but my favorites were the Merman story, the Cinderella story, and Hansel & Gretel. Overall, this collection was fantastic. Some of the stories were humorous, some very sexy, and all had wonderful happy endings. I've read a lot of anthologies, and usually there are at least a couple stories within that are not so great, but I can honestly say that I loved all of these.
Julesmarie
As soon as I discovered there was an anthology of m/m fairy tale stories I knew I would love it. And I did! Some of the stories seemed more successful than others, which is to be expected with anthologies, but overall they came together to make a wonderfully cohesive book.

Lots of fun, and I'm sure I'll re-read several of the stories in the future. I loved, LOVED Ashes and Crystal and The Merman's Tail. Jack and the Peenstalk cracked me up. The rest were okay. The swan one was just weird.
Elizabeth
May 07, 2015 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, m-m, 2015
Nine short stories, most of them a retelling of a classic fairy tale, all written by new-to-me authors. I enjoyed them all, some more than the others.
My favorite was Swan made by Mina Kelly, which was a bit darker than the rest.
Kintaro by S.J. Frost was also different, I don't know whether is based in some specific tale since I'm not familiar with Japanese culture but it had Samurais.
Jack and the peenstalk by Clancy Nacht was really funny and Handsome and Grateful was very sexy and ha
Jay Meo
Nov 05, 2009 Jay Meo rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book in every sense of the word, edited by the renowned author E.M. Lynley. Clancy Nacht tells of a giant peenstalk which leads into the sky and the land of a lonely giant. Will Jack give up everything to return to him? Lenore Black talks of a prince in love with a swan who comes as a handsome man into his room at night. Mercy Loomis weaves the tale of a pukha, a werewolf who seduces a shepherd boy. S. J. Frost tells of a young Japanese warrior who bows to beauty. Jason Rubis ...more
Tam
Jan 11, 2010 Tam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, fantasy
This is an anthology of reworked fairy tales which I generally enjoy. There are nine fairy tales by nine authors. Maybe I’ll quickly go through them. Time killer here.

1) Jack and the Peenstalk by Clancy Nacht – Jack is a size queen who finally gets his wish. It was quite humourous and set in current times with reference to the US mortgage crisis, the crappy economy and Jack having a degree in Philosophy which entitled him to work at Starbucks.

2) The Rebelliously Single Prince by Leonore Black –
Sue
Won't go into a great deal of detail about this, except to say that for a fairy-tale anthology it didn't quite live up to my hopes.
The stories and my ratings:

Jack and the Peenstalk by Clancy Nacht - 1 star
King’s Honor by JL Merrow - 4 stars
The Merman’s Ta
KV Taylor
May 31, 2011 KV Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually read part of this when it came out, since long-time writing pal (what's the right word for that, anyhow?) Mina Kelly is in it. I loved what I read, so I don't know why I stopped--I actually went back and read it all over again this weekend so I could see how it all worked together and was very pleased. It's got something for everyone--funny, sad, intense, absurd, and all the places in between, and has some of the most imaginative tellings of these particular tales I think you're likel ...more
Riayl

King’s Honor by JL Merrow - 4 stars

The Merman’s Tail by Jay Di Meo - 5 stars
Lucy
Jan 08, 2011 Lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have to give this at least a four just for the first story, Jack and the Peenstalk, which made me laugh out loud. It was ridiculous, sarcastic and so funny, and I drove people (sorry, MM) crazy repeating it. The rest of the anthology was hit or miss. I did love the story of Ashes, a Cinderfella tale, but others really didn't like. The Handsome and Grateful (Hansel and Gretel) left me cold, as did the Japanese samuri. Others, such as the Merman, were okay, but slow. Cry Wolf, a shifter ta ...more
Mara Ismine
I enjoyed the collection of stories. Some more than others, as is usually the case with anthologies, but the mixture was very well chosen and I didn't have trouble finishing any of the stories.
Roxanne
Jul 26, 2010 Roxanne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
I know some were meant to be funny, but would help if they actually were funny and not just badly written. I mean, seriously those were the best stories they could come up with? meh.
Z. Allora
Apr 23, 2011 Z. Allora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this Japanese fairy tale interesting and unique. I like how we see how things end up in the future.
Lillian Francis
Anyone know where I can get a copy of this? Looks like it's no longer available.
Gene
Feb 18, 2013 Gene rated it really liked it

Most of these sexy little gay fairy tales are quite nicely written, actually.
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Isaac Crow
Isaac Crow marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Ananko-san
Ananko-san marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Sarah Maxfield
Sarah Maxfield marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Susanna G
Susanna G marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Aniah
Aniah rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
char
char marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Ottilee
Ottilee marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Recommendations on books no longer published 1 5 Mar 05, 2014 05:23AM
  • The Care and Feeding of Demons (Adrian and Trent #2)
  • A Brush of Wings
  • I Do: An Anthology in Support of Marriage Equality
  • Magic & Mischief
  • Making Contact
  • Curious?: A Woman's Introduction to Gay Romance (includes: Ryan & Scott, #1)
  • Make Me a Match, vol. 2 (Make Me a Match)
  • Stealing My Heart (includes: Tales from Rainbow Alley, #1; Dragon's Soul, #1)
  • Unmasked
  • Melting the Slopes
  • The Elf and Shoemaker
  • That Famous Happy End
  • British Flash: A revealing collection of short LGBT fiction
EM Lynley writes gay erotic romance. She loves books where the hero gets the guy and the loving is 11 on a scale of 10. Her Precious Gems series is best described as “Indiana Jones meets Romancing the Stone”—only gayer. The Delectable series is Gay Romance with Taste.

A Rainbow Award winner and EPPIE finalist, EM has worked in high finance, high tech, and in the wine industry, though she'd rather
More about E.M. Lynley...