Start by marking “The World of Star Trek” as Want to Read:
The World of Star Trek

The World of Star Trek

The legend of Star Trek lives in the hearts of millions - now, discover the truth behind the legend. Writer David Gerrold was on the set, watching it all happen: the feuds, the fun, the love - the magic that is still Star Trek. With over 50 pages of photos from your favorite episodes, and stills from all three movies!
Published May 1st 1984 by Bluejay (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The World of Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World of Star Trek

Imzadi by Peter DavidUhura's Song by Janet KaganSpock's World by Diane DuaneYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinHow Much for Just the Planet? by John M. Ford
Best Star Trek Books
40th out of 245 books — 194 voters
The Star Trek by Larry NemecekStar Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual by Franz JosephStar Trek Creator by David AlexanderStar Trek, Where No One Has Gone Before by J.M. DillardThe Making of Star Trek by Stephen E. Whitfield
Star Trek Reference Books
19th out of 41 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael Hanscom
I have something of a fascination with the non-fictional aspects of classic Trek—both the behind-the-scenes show stuff and the general fandom of the time—and it's fun to read accounts that are closer to that time than we are now. This book was originally written in '73, just a few years following the demise of TOS, and a few years prior to the first film. Trek was in syndication and picking up new fans, while existing and new fans were banding together (via letter, 'zine, and telephone) to creat ...more
Tracy Poff

Though I'm generally reading these books in publication order, for the next book in our Trek journey, we need to step back in time about a year. Today's book is the second non-fiction Trek book we're looking at, David Gerrold's The World of Star Trek, published April 12, 1973.

The prologue describes the approximate outline of the book:

Actually, there are three worlds of STAR TREK. First, there's the STAR TREK that Gene Roddenberry conceived--the original dream of a television series about an int

Sep 07, 2015 Charles rated it really liked it
An insider's look behind the making of Star Trek

As someone who viewed the original Star Trek series when it aired for the first time, I can be considered an original Trekkie. While the science segment of the science fiction was often weak, the ideas and the vision for the future that it represented extended beyond what anyone could have imagined at the time. It represented a future where humanity had finally been able to end the conflicts on Earth, build a mighty fleet of star ships and find sp
Scott Shadel
Mar 18, 2014 Scott Shadel rated it liked it
I do not remember when I read this. But looking at the 'sneak preview' for Star Trek III I would say it was in 1984.

If you like the original series of Star Trek this book is wonderful to read and has a lot of inside information. Especially with what we know now of a lot of what is told if rather funny.

David Gerrold is also not new to Star Trek or Sci Fi at all either. Not only has he written 'The Trouble with Tribbles'. He also wrote episodes for Sliders, Babylon 5, and The Twilight Zone...amo
Barry Simiana
Jul 09, 2014 Barry Simiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, though serious insight into the making and the affect Star Trek has had on the world since its inception. Great stories from the production by many of those involved right from the beginning. Though a contributor to the show and an
Unabashed fan, David Gerrold's research covers and destroys may of the rumors that have been circulating for years about the goings on behind the scenes. As expected, the writing is great. This volume stopped at the third movie. It would be great to see this au
Feb 21, 2012 RJ rated it really liked it
Written in the late 1970's, Gerrold, screenwriter for the classic episode "The Trouble With Tribbles", gives an excellent background to the original Star Trek. Ever watch the third season DVD over the course of a week or so? Then you will concur with Gerrold's points about the decline of the show in that season. Many other interesting tidbits for the fans.

Some of Gerrold's ideas, such as his suggestion that Star Trek should have had a "contact team" to go to planets instead of Kirk and Spock, m
Nov 15, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it liked it
Shelves: tv-tie-in, star-trek
The first thing you have to remember about this book is when it was published. Gerrold was a Star Trek scriptwriter and this gives him a view of things that is unusual, interesting and funny. He is very fair with both his praise and his criticism, but some of his comments are dated - either in the views he is expressing or because Star Trek has moved on so much from those early days. I did enjoy it though and made me want to track down the repeats on those of so obscure Sky channels!
Daniel Kukwa
Aug 21, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
The first non-fiction work covering "Star Trek" that I ever read. I would have preferred a bit more contemplation on the early movie era (which is where this revised version concluded), but it's a solid overview of what made "Star Trek" tick...and why we love it so much. Or why you SHOULD, if you're one of the not-we...
Walt Murray
Mar 02, 2012 Walt Murray rated it it was amazing
This is a history of the original Star Trek series, and details how the show went from concept through production, and then became the legendary series it is today. Gerrold details the relationships between the actors, the producers and directors, and between the show's participants and the network. The reader gets warts and all, but I finished the book a bigger fan than when I started it.
Dec 30, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book about one million times when I was a kid. Around 30 years later, it became the subject of a pretty funny incident between my husband and me, too, so it was part of my destiny. Or something woo woo woo like that, I dunno.
Sep 08, 2013 Marvin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Star Trek TOS fans
Star Trek...I grew up in the age of Star Trek, the outer space version of cowboy serials. This book explains a lot of Star Trek science, philosophy and society of the future. A lot of fun, I get it out and reread it sometimes.
Colleen Hillerup
Dec 18, 2015 Colleen Hillerup rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Particularly interesting for the section on fandom - pre-internet, but still a way for people to connect and make lasting friendships. Also interesting to see the state of things in Star Trek when there was no guarantee of anything beyond the three seasons.
Feb 01, 2008 Andy rated it it was amazing
Gerrold's books on the Star Trek series are all a blast; he's got a sharp wit and tells loads of fun stories. I still remember these books from first reading them when I was a kid and totally obsessed with the show.
Dec 28, 2007 Melanie rated it liked it
Yes, another one of my pet obsessions. This was really good for Gerrold's insight into what went into writing the original Trek series, and also for his thoughts on why Star Trek has had such an impact on our culture.

Nov 28, 2007 Jill rated it it was amazing
I see now that David Gerrold has been a very successful writer(The Martian Child)-but it was my fandom for Star Trek and this book that gave me an idea what the television process was all about-oh, Gerrold wrote "The Trouble with Tribbles" episode...
Jun 15, 2008 Ed rated it liked it
Recommends it for: humans, Vulcans, Klingons, even Borg
As Mr. Spock might say...Fascinating.
Anyone with an interest in things Trek should enjoy this look at the show in its original context and the early days of its rebirth.
Eugene Caputi
May 11, 2012 Eugene Caputi rated it liked it
I have the edition from the 70's. Read it right after I saw Star Trek II and started reading all things Star Trek. I'd be curious to see how it was updated for the era of Trek popularity.
Jenny rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Richard Gombert
Richard Gombert rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2011
Abe Flores
Abe Flores rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2012
James rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Ron rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2011
Arlene rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2013
April rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2011
Debbie rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2012
Kevin rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Rob Spahr
Rob Spahr rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2014
Dayna rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2008
Dawn rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2012
Vana rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2015
  • The Making of Star Trek
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages, 2 (Star Trek Adventures, #6)
  • The Final Reflection (Star Trek: Worlds Apart, #1)
  • Star Trek 9
  • Star Trek Lives !
  • The Wounded Sky
  • The Starless World (Star Trek Adventures, #8)
  • Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #4)
  • Star Trek Log Five (Star Trek: Logs, #5)
  • Star Trek Compendium Rev/Ed