The World of Star Trek

The World of Star Trek

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  352 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The legend of Star Trek lives in the hearts of millions - now, discover the truth behind the legend. Writer David Gerrold was on the set, watching it all happen: the feuds, the fun, the love - the magic that is still Star Trek. With over 50 pages of photos from your favorite episodes, and stills from all three movies!
Published May 1st 1984 by Bluejay (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The World of Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World of Star Trek

Imzadi by Peter DavidSpock's World by Diane DuaneUhura's Song by Janet KaganYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinEnterprise by Vonda N. McIntyre
Best Star Trek Books
37th out of 217 books — 150 voters
The Stranger by Albert CamusRabbit, Run by John UpdikeThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryAlice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollThe City And The Stars by Arthur C. Clarke
Stars and Stripes
99th out of 164 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Scott Shadel
I do not remember when I read this. But looking at the 'sneak preview' for Star Trek III I would say it was in 1984.

If you like the original series of Star Trek this book is wonderful to read and has a lot of inside information. Especially with what we know now of a lot of what is told if rather funny.

David Gerrold is also not new to Star Trek or Sci Fi at all either. Not only has he written 'The Trouble with Tribbles'. He also wrote episodes for Sliders, Babylon 5, and The Twilight Zone...amo...more
Barry Simiana
A fun, though serious insight into the making and the affect Star Trek has had on the world since its inception. Great stories from the production by many of those involved right from the beginning. Though a contributor to the show and an
Unabashed fan, David Gerrold's research covers and destroys may of the rumors that have been circulating for years about the goings on behind the scenes. As expected, the writing is great. This volume stopped at the third movie. It would be great to see this au...more
RJ
Written in the late 1970's, Gerrold, screenwriter for the classic episode "The Trouble With Tribbles", gives an excellent background to the original Star Trek. Ever watch the third season DVD over the course of a week or so? Then you will concur with Gerrold's points about the decline of the show in that season. Many other interesting tidbits for the fans.

Some of Gerrold's ideas, such as his suggestion that Star Trek should have had a "contact team" to go to planets instead of Kirk and Spock, m...more
Dark-Draco
The first thing you have to remember about this book is when it was published. Gerrold was a Star Trek scriptwriter and this gives him a view of things that is unusual, interesting and funny. He is very fair with both his praise and his criticism, but some of his comments are dated - either in the views he is expressing or because Star Trek has moved on so much from those early days. I did enjoy it though and made me want to track down the repeats on those of so obscure Sky channels!
Walt Murray
This is a history of the original Star Trek series, and details how the show went from concept through production, and then became the legendary series it is today. Gerrold details the relationships between the actors, the producers and directors, and between the show's participants and the network. The reader gets warts and all, but I finished the book a bigger fan than when I started it.
Daniel Kukwa
The first non-fiction work covering "Star Trek" that I ever read. I would have preferred a bit more contemplation on the early movie era (which is where this revised version concluded), but it's a solid overview of what made "Star Trek" tick...and why we love it so much. Or why you SHOULD, if you're one of the not-we...
Jill
I see now that David Gerrold has been a very successful writer(The Martian Child)-but it was my fandom for Star Trek and this book that gave me an idea what the television process was all about-oh, Gerrold wrote "The Trouble with Tribbles" episode...
I read this book about one million times when I was a kid. Around 30 years later, it became the subject of a pretty funny incident between my husband and me, too, so it was part of my destiny. Or something woo woo woo like that, I dunno.
Marvin
Sep 08, 2013 Marvin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Star Trek TOS fans
Star Trek...I grew up in the age of Star Trek, the outer space version of cowboy serials. This book explains a lot of Star Trek science, philosophy and society of the future. A lot of fun, I get it out and reread it sometimes.
Melanie
Yes, another one of my pet obsessions. This was really good for Gerrold's insight into what went into writing the original Trek series, and also for his thoughts on why Star Trek has had such an impact on our culture.

Andy
Gerrold's books on the Star Trek series are all a blast; he's got a sharp wit and tells loads of fun stories. I still remember these books from first reading them when I was a kid and totally obsessed with the show.
Eugene Caputi
I have the edition from the 70's. Read it right after I saw Star Trek II and started reading all things Star Trek. I'd be curious to see how it was updated for the era of Trek popularity.
Ed
Jun 15, 2008 Ed rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: humans, Vulcans, Klingons, even Borg
As Mr. Spock might say...Fascinating.
Anyone with an interest in things Trek should enjoy this look at the show in its original context and the early days of its rebirth.
Fangirl
During my active Trekkie phase this book was a must read.
Clay Davis
The best book on the behind the scenes of the series.
colleen
read 03.24.85
Bill
Bill added it
Aug 18, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Lori Carlson
Lori Carlson marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Neptune Violin
Neptune Violin marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Good Reader
Good Reader marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Renee Taylor
Renee Taylor marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
  • The Making Of Star Trek
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages, 2 (Star Trek Adventures, #6)
  • The Final Reflection (Star Trek: Worlds Apart, #1)
  • The Starless World (Star Trek Adventures, #8)
  • Star Trek 9
  • Star Trek Log One (Star Trek: Logs #1)
  • Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual
  • Memory Prime
  • Three Minute Universe
  • The Star Trek Encyclopedia
  • Killing Time
  • Shadow Lord
  • Dreadnought! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #1)
  • Death's Angel (Star Trek Adventures, #15)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Trellisane Confrontation
  • World Without End (Star Trek Adventures, #10)
  • Crisis On Centaurus (Star Trek)
The Man Who Folded Himself A Matter For Men A Day for Damnation A Rage for Revenge A Season for Slaughter