Start by marking “Victorian Fashions and Costumes from Harper's Bazar, 1867-1898” as Want to Read:
Victorian Fashions and Costumes from Harper's Bazar, 1867-1898

Victorian Fashions and Costumes from Harper's Bazar, 1867-1898

After the Civil War the upper middle class in America expanded and became increasingly style-conscious. Visiting European royalty as well as American women returning from the International Exhibition in Paris in 1867 stimulated fashion awareness — and it was in this climate that the magazine Harper's Bazar flowered. Dedicated to being "A repository of Fashion, Pleasure, an ...more
Published June 1st 1974 by Dover Publications (first published January 1st 1974)

Be the first to ask a question about Victorian Fashions and Costumes from Harper's Bazar, 1867-1898

Alessandra
A very useful archive of original Victorian engravings of women's fashions from 1867 to 1898 Harper's Bazar magazines. They are, of course, in black and white, but original descriptions are included. This is one of the heftiest of Dover's collections of historic fashion plates, and an excellent bargain.

Harper's Bazar was an American magazine. These fashions would have been copied from and based on European fashions, particularly French ones, for the style-conscious and aspirational American ladi
P.D.R. Lindsay
Be careful with this book if you want to see what was British Victorian fashion of the period. This is American fashion of the era.

A good solid book for research and costume designers.
Excellent drawings.

Until I can have a private star rating for my own personal use - I do not agree with the Good Reads/Amazon methods of apply our readers' star ratings to an author's rating, which can affect their sales - I will not add a star rating.
Shayne
Apr 05, 2010 Shayne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a book I dip into for pleasure almost as often as for serious research. Rich in detailed descriptions, beautifully illustrated, covering everything from slippers to head-dresses, gorgeous gowns and beautiful lingerie, and such essential accessories as jewelery and fans. There are elements of social history, too, in the attention given to such items as the correct mourning clothes, including those suitable "for elderly ladies".

A lavishly detailed delight.
D
Jul 02, 2015 D rated it really liked it
Very thorough coverage of the various Victorian fashion era sub-periods. Many original illustrations. Please note that this is quite a large book! My BFF is into waist training / tight lacing and recommended this volume. After reading several related books as well as this one, I think that it might be interesting and fun to become involved in wearing Victorian style costumes, including tight corsets, as a hobby:)
Kai
Sep 07, 2012 Kai rated it it was amazing
I love this book. There's not much to say about it, it being a reference book, but Victorian fashions abound, including accessories like lovely button shoes, fans, belts, parasols, wraps, hair ornaments, socks, cuffs, corsetry, handkerchiefs... There's much description of what styles are used for what events, talk of fabrics and materials and everything else I love to drool over.
Victoria
Jun 16, 2013 Victoria rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is an excellent resource for those who are interested in mid-late Victorian fashion. The tiny changes in silhouette and focus were fascinating to read about. I only wish that some of the commentary at the beginning of each section was included with the fashion prints, so I could more adequately notice the changes.
Kim
Mar 23, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
I appreciated that they included descriptions of the types of fabric used for the various garments.
Simone Vd stadt beaney
Aug 21, 2013 Simone Vd stadt beaney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, kostuums, favorites
The best book on endoif 19th century fashion. The only pity is that the prints aren't coloured but I'm not sure if the original prints were coloured.
Great reference book!
Sep 14, 2013 Jennifer added it
Shelves: books-to-buy
This is one of those books that every costumer of the period needs. The engravings are fabulous.
Erika Mulvenna
Dec 10, 2007 Erika Mulvenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fashion
Excellent illustrations for Victorian fashions!
Glorianne Roccanova
May 30, 2015 Glorianne Roccanova rated it it was amazing
great book for clip art...
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2011
Clie Trino
Clie Trino rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Jean
Jean rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2012
Phoenix
Phoenix rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2012
Artzme
Artzme rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2012
Morgan
Morgan rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2011
Aimee Naworal
Aimee Naworal rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2008
Kelly Carter
Kelly Carter rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2015
Melinda Jane Harrison
Melinda Jane Harrison rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2014
Jessica Hayes
Jessica Hayes rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2012
Karen Poole
Karen Poole rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2015
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2007
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
Kitty
Kitty rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2011
Susi Sugoi
Susi Sugoi rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2015
  • Victorian and Edwardian Fashion: A Photographic Survey
  • Nineteeth-Century Fashion in Detail
  • Corsets and Crinolines
  • Historical Fashion in Detail: The 17th and 18th Centuries
  • Fashion: The Collection of the Kyoto Costume Institute - A History from the 18th to the 20th Century
  • 20,000 Years of Fashion: The History of Costume and Personal Adornment
  • Patterns of Fashion 1 Englishwomen's Dresses & Their Construction C. 1660-1860
  • Costume in Detail: Women's Dress 1730-1930
  • A History of Costume
  • The Corset: A Cultural History
  • Costume and Fashion: A Concise History
  • Underwear: Fashion in Detail
  • The Complete Costume History / Vollstandige Kostumgeschichte / Le Costume Historique
  • Art of Dress