Game Theory: A Very Short Introduction

Game Theory: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions #170)

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Games are everywhere: Drivers maneuvering in heavy traffic are playing a driving game. Bargain hunters bidding on eBay are playing an auctioning game. The supermarket's price for corn flakes is decided by playing an economic game. This Very Short Introduction offers a succinct tour of the fascinating world of game theory, a ground-breaking field that analyzes how to play g...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published October 25th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Game Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Game Theory

Maurizio Codogno
Come cambiano le cose nel tempo! Quando mi capitò di vedere per la prima volta un libretto che raccontava la teoria dei giochi (una vecchissima edizione Zanichelli di fine anni '70) il tutto era senz'ombra di dubbio matematica. Questo libretto della meritoria serie OUP "A Very Short Introduction" è un testo di economia, con una rapida incursione nel campo biologico. Il teorema del minimax, ai tempi al centro della trattazione, è buttato lì quasi come un inciso; gli equilibri di Nash, che allora...more
Ilya
a mediocre introduction to a very interesting subject. the book doesn't really flow - just gives example games without connecting the subjects well. the big problem i had with the book is that the author is way too defensive about negative perceptions of game theory, and thus wastes a lot of space trying to remedy these misconceptions. also, without math it was hard for me to internalize some of the game theoretical results.

some of the interesting points:

* discussion of auction mechanisms, with...more
Jay Little
While short, it's also to the point and lives up to it's title. It is a very short introduction to game theory, but it hits the important notes and gives just enough information to whet the whistle and prepare the reader for more complex, detailed books discussing game theory... such as the rest of Ken Binmore's books.

Think of it not so much as a primer or cliff notes version of Game Theory, but more of a sampler appetizer platter -- you get to try a little bit of everything before deciding if y...more
Dan Cohen

I was disappointed by this introduction. The author writes with considerable style and covers some aspects well, but I think that the core principles of game theory are not explained at all well and the examples and diagrams are explained particularly poorly. Not surprisingly, the book is best when covering the author's speciality - auctions. I also feel that the author devotes too much time to arguing against the straw man of ethical objections to game theory analyses - these could be dealt wit...more
Daniel Wright
This book certainly does more-or-less what it says on the can: you will learn the basics of Game Theory from it. On the other hand there is much criticism that could be made of it. The tone is patronising, defensive, often adversarial. The mathematics (this is not the author's fault) is rather thin on the ground, which sometimes makes it difficult to follow. Not much recommended.
Justin McDonald
Very interesting, but technical. I kept waiting for him to talk about GTA IV, but nothing. Just "prisoner's dilemma" this and "Nash equilibrium" that.

Seriously though, Game Theory is an intellectually stimulating endeavor, but as an introductory text I think I need something a little more fun.

Explosions and chainsaw machine-guns would be a nice start.
Avinno
The rating was not based on the merits of Game Theory,which is an excellent subject by its own right, but on a poorly written book with many clumsy explanations aimed at begginer readers.

I had no interest in the chapter "Evolutionary biology", but it would have been nice if he had elaborated more on the auction and regulatory aspects of game theory.
Ed
Good short text on Game Theory that would open your eyes to what this all about. Book has its flaws: the author is a tad arrogant and dismisses my favorite book on conflict: Getting to Yes in a way that suggests he fundamentally doesn't understand it. Application of Game Theory to Evolution is especially interesting and well written.
Ted Mccombs
Obscure and underwritten for beginners, uninteresting for non-beginners. Some of the first figure illustrations were wrong, abolishing any reader trust (and confusing the heck out of me for a while). Stopped after four chapters. If you're looking for a great and accessible introduction to game theory, keep looking.
Phil
Even as an idiot's guide, still a bit mathematically challenging for, well, someone who scraped Maths O-level with a grade 6 (yes, before they discovered zero, and all that) - but I got the gist. It is actually fascinating stuff - just wish my brain had grasped the basics before it started falling apart...
Brent
This was a fascinating book. Game Theory is effective in explaining human behavior in so many different scenarios. After reading this book I definitely want to learn more about economics and also review some mathematics that I've clearly forgotten over the past few years.
John Maag
felt like I needed a bit more explanation in some things.
Mostafa
افكاره بسيطه وبعيده عن التعقيد
ولكن سهولته جعلت منه كتاب لا يقدم الكثير للدارس
Poorly written.
Doesn't connect
Concepts not explained properly
Kosh Koshover
despite being an "introduction" a good portion was, as expected, over my head, but I did find the portions I understood interesting
A
Poorly written.
Doesn't connect
Concepts not explained properly
Seth D Michaels
A little too very-short to fully explain what's going on.
Bill
Hard to understand. Poorly written. Didn't get through it.
Patrick
I'm a nerd.
Tista Kundu
:) sweet
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Joe Antognini
Joe Antognini marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
DJ J
DJ J added it
Aug 16, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
P. Ershov
P. Ershov is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2014
  • Relativity: A Very Short Introduction
  • Plato: A Very Short Introduction
  • Existentialism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Classical Mythology: A Very Short Introduction
Professor of Economics at UCL, after holding corresponding positions at LSE and the University of Pennsylvania and Michigan. Onetime Professor of Mathematics at LSE.

Author of 77 published papers and 11 books. Research in evolutionary game theory, bargaining theory, experimental economics, political philosophy, mathematics and statistics.

Grants from National Science Foundation (3), ESRC (1), STICER...more
More about Ken Binmore...
Playing for Real: A Text on Game Theory Natural Justice Game Theory and the Social Contract, Volume 1: Playing Fair Rational Decisions Fun and Games: A Text on Game Theory

“Cooperation and conflict are two sides of the same coin, neither of which can be understood properly without taking account of the other.” 0 likes