Start by marking “A Real Boy” as Want to Read:
A Real Boy

A Real Boy

Carlo Collodi (author of Pinocchio) will be spinning in his Tuscan grave, although possibly not as fast as Walt Disney. The Brothers Grimm may be feeling a little dizzy as well…

Lonely woodcarver Joseph, purveyor of fine hand-crafted goods to the BDSM market, decides to craft the ultimate sex toy, a life-size wooden Boy. Unfortunately Joseph's Boy has a mind of his own...
Published December 11th 2009 by Smashwords (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Real Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Real Boy

Vivian
Dec 01, 2013 Vivian rated it liked it
Amusing with some moments of blundering along. Ends strong. Overall, a depraved and snort-worthy twisted take on Pinocchio.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Dec 07, 2013 ♆ BookAddict ✒ La Crimson Femme rated it liked it
Recommended to ♆ BookAddict by: Vivian
This is an amusing short deviant piece on Pinocchio and how he because a "real boy". One of the better interpretations of an old fairy tale. Joseph is the "wood" toy maker. The way he is designed is disgusting. It's the story all that more depraved. *shudders* oily hair and nasty teeth? Yuck.

The "boy" is a slutty little liar. The lying growth is not unexpected. What is unexpected is how boy's growth is shaved down. I grabbed my own pussy in sympathy. YIKES!

The funnest part is what happened to
carol
Dec 03, 2013 carol rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adult BDSM erotica and mm storyline readers.
Recommended to carol by: Vivian Archer
This is a short story by J.L.Merrow, a take on the Pinnochio story of a wooden puppet, probably familiar to most children through the Disney film of that name. Yet this is a story that has similar characters, most main elements of the original story but with a twisted deviancy as to what grows with lies and the underlying sense of humour, laced with sarcasm that is both hilarious, clever and the telling of which is very British.

I loved it, yet am also aware that there is a level that leaves me u
Lucy
Nov 28, 2010 Lucy rated it really liked it
Twisted and sarcastic, and so funny. Just the description of Twinkerbell would have been enough to make it with it, but the story of pinocchio will never be the same for me. And the drug dealing little red riding hood?
Jason Bradley
May 04, 2010 Jason Bradley rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, ebook, free, a-list
JL Merrow has the sarcastic type of humor that I simply adore! Her imagination is wonderfully clever and left me wanting to read much more.
Sara Winters
Oct 05, 2011 Sara Winters rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Delightfully twisted. I found myself laughing out loud as I read this story (which is probably how I earned a few strange looks on the bus.) Great entertainment and I LOVE how the cricket was dealt with.
Ann Roberts
Oct 07, 2011 Ann Roberts rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the adaptation of Pinocchio that JL Merrow used in her short story "A Real Boy." Even for a short work of less than twenty pages, Merrow includes a great deal of humor and mild references and/or uses of BDSM/sex toy play. The main character, Joseph, is an ugly but talented woodcarver who uses his special gift for making the best sex toys for hundreds of miles around. He is lonely, though, and never gets to use his own products with a partner because of his ugliness. There is, of ...more
Sue
Mar 08, 2013 Sue rated it it was amazing
Absolutely silly; absolutely marvellous is a campy, woody way.
J.L. Merrow writes lovely humorous pieces at times, and I love them.
Short, but very sweet :)
Tara
Sep 24, 2010 Tara rated it liked it
Recommended to Tara by: cturtlechick
This is a kinked up re-imagining of Pinocchio. It was well written and cute, in a kinky sort of way. It was my first book by this author and I enjoyed it enough to seek out more.
Ruben
Jun 10, 2016 Ruben rated it did not like it
I usually like twisted fairytales, but this one is a bit too wierd. It's more a dark humored and erotic parody. The weirdest of all in this story is the erotic part. I found it unnecessarily silly... The story would have been much better without it or if the eroticism was a little less perverse. It would still have a lot of humor and interesting twists. But that's just my opinion, and I kept reminding myself as I read that I was warned by the blurb.
When I looked past the absurd beginning and tr
Susana
Nov 16, 2015 Susana rated it liked it
♥Xeni♥
May 10, 2010 ♥Xeni♥ rated it it was ok
Recommended to ♥Xeni♥ by: M/M Romance Group Free Read
Shelves: m-m, erotica
This book was a very strange take on the old fairytale, Pinocchio. Since I didn't know this before I read it, I was rather taken aback in the first pages.

The writing style was good, although at times a bit unclear.

I feel I'm giving this book 2 stars because of the very peculiar plot and characters. Yes, Merrow stayed (more or less) within the confines of the classic fairytale, but it still didn't quite sit with me. I find it hard to place my finger on what didn't work right now, just that the p
Miss Asima
This was a very cute and kinky short retelling of Pinnochio. I absolutly loved it. I found myself grinning and laughing non-stop! J.L. Merrow has a great sense of humor. This is actually the first of her stories that I've read. And even though (from what I've heard) this story was more of a joke and isn't really like any of her other works, it definitly made me want to read more by her. :)
Monika
Aug 05, 2012 Monika rated it did not like it
Shelves: g-short-under-50
I had a hard time with this book. It could have been really funny, the idea of it was fun and different but the whole boy/master thing got to me. I thought of Petey as a very young boy and Joseph as a man old enough to be his father. I just couldn't get past that. This was not a book for me.
Suze
Jul 29, 2016 Suze rated it liked it
So many English fairy tales pulled into one short, cleverly executed, silly, sexy story!

Some references will not work if your knowledge of British supermarkets is not up to scratch but so long as you read this with your tongue firmly in your cheek, you will enjoy!

Natalie
Oct 09, 2010 Natalie rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebooks, disliked
Ummmm.....

I just couldn't get into it. I am all for a the Master/Boy/Slave dynamic but this was just not my cup of tea.

In my mind Petey was a boy not an adult and that totally turned me off.

To each their own though.
Yblees
May 30, 2013 Yblees rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-favorites
Free ebook.

Pinocchio is a very, very special Boy.
And need we even mention about that woodcarver...?

Not to be missed retelling of the famous fairy tale for the m/m aficionado.
Extremely non-PC.
Sensitive souls should keep away from this story to avoid moral outrage and angst.
Eli Easton
Feb 11, 2013 Eli Easton rated it really liked it
Shelves: jl-merrow
Well, it's a rather crazy bit of fluff, but hilarious in places and a free read from J.L. Merrow. What's not to love? Down with crickets!
Moose
Jun 14, 2013 Moose rated it liked it
More like a 2.5 stars. It was entertaining but the story followed too much within the cliche formats for me to truly enjoy.
willaful
Very, very silly kinky reworking of "Pinnochio." (More the movie than the book.) Funny in the way that has you groaning while you laugh.
Shirley Frances
Apr 21, 2012 Shirley Frances rated it liked it
Very interesting adaptation of the concept of Pinocchio. I was laughing so hard! The author really did a wonderful, inventive job.
Kelly
Nov 03, 2011 Kelly rated it liked it
It was fun, and the play of the different fairytale charactors for stories other than the one the book was based on I thought was very good.
Rachel
Sep 07, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it
Can't really decide whether I liked this or note. It was well written, flowed smoothly and enticing...but a little wierd. Fantastic idea and I enjoyed it---I guess I did enjoy it! ;)
Chris
Oct 28, 2010 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: gay, done, short, 2010, ebook
Enjoyable (and free) twisted m/m retelling of Pinnochio, with few other stray fairy tales thrown in around the edges.
John Carter
Mar 07, 2013 John Carter rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, m-m, erotica, humour
Very amusing indeed—especially with regard to coping with the effects of the Blue Fairy’s spell for lying little boys!
SH65
SH65 rated it did not like it
Jul 25, 2016
Cecilia Barron
Cecilia Barron rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2011
AndyB
AndyB rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2012
Felicia
Felicia rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2012
Leah
Leah rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Dirty Zero (Zero to Hero, #1)
  • Breaking Point
  • Fuck the Foreplay
  • Caged
  • The Tentacle Monster Everyone Wanted
  • Jailhouse Rock
  • Zombie Wonderland
  • Oscar's Soul
  • Outfoxed (Glitter Fox, #1)
  • Keep Me
  • Best Gift Ever (Superpowered Love, #1.2)
  • Corruption
  • Be My Boy
  • A Not-So-Grimm Fairytale
  • Kiss and Tell
  • Lies and Consequences
  • Innocence to the Max (Iunctiō Cōpula, #0.5)
  • A Lesson In Truth
JL Merrow is that rare beast, an English person who refuses to drink tea. She read Natural Sciences at Cambridge, where she learned many things, chief amongst which was that she never wanted to see the inside of a lab ever again. Her one regret is that she never mastered the ability of punting one-handed whilst holding a glass of champagne.

She writes across genres, with a preference for contempora
More about J.L. Merrow...