Start by marking “Garmann's Street” as Want to Read:
Garmann's Street

Garmann's Street

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The follow up to the quirky Garmann's Summer. In this fun new book we get to follow Garmann, see how he deals with bullies and all the fun and crazy personalities of his neighbors and the people that surround his home.
Unknown Binding, 42 pages
Published March 11th 2010 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Garmann's Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Garmann's Street

Neva
Dec 17, 2014 Neva rated it it was amazing
Seven stars for this one. I so much love this kid Garmann! And the hidden Elvis :)))
Kellylou
Sep 25, 2011 Kellylou rated it really liked it
I use this book to teach about conclusions, as my class tend to love the first half of the book, but not the last half. We rewrite the end and talk about the importance of a strong conclusion. LOVE this story!
Esther
Published in 2010 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers.
Interest Level: 2nd-5th Grade

This book is about Garmann and two major experiences that he has near his home. The first is a bullying experience where he then participates in a devastating wildfire, and the second is about his encounter with a neighbor he calls "The Stamp Man". The title page and various stylized decorations on the pages with text reflect the idea of stamps, letters, and postmarks. The text is matter-of-fact in an almost surpr
Ginta Harrigan
Jul 07, 2013 Ginta Harrigan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: international
“Garmann’s Street” is about the relationship that develops between Garmann and the “Stamp Man” after a near disastrous incident. It is the sequel to “Garmann’s Summer.”

I liked this book. It did not have the humor of “Garmann’s Summer” but it was an enjoyable book nonetheless.

The book is Norwegian with translation done by Don Bartlett who is the same person who translated “Garmann’s Summer.” I did not feel that any dialogue was lost in the translation. Nor did I feel that there was any “foreign”
Monica
Not for the typical picture book audience in my opinion. Too dark and frightening to read to my little ones. The art is pure talent and odd. Those who love the bizarre, will love the story and illustrations.

My favorite part was the leaf blower....he looks like one only my sons.
Marissa García
Another sophisticated, delicately told masterpiece from Stian Hole. It's subtle, finely tuned story gently but authentically tackles every day subjects like bullying, friendship, guilt, social hierarchy, and death with Hole's characteristic grace.
Holly
Apr 28, 2010 Holly rated it it was amazing
This is as good as his first, Garmann's Summer. These are about the most complex picture books around--so much to look at in the unique illustrations (I'm pretty sure the guy with the leaf blower near the end is Elvis Presley), and so much to think about within the story. Stian Hole won the 2009 children's literature prize by the "Nordic Association of School Librarians" for this book, and other awards for Garmann's Summer. Let's hear it for the Norwegians!!!
Rebekah Jones
I thought that the book was confusing and it felt like pieces of information was missing. In the story, they tell facts and information that both the old man and the boy new and I liked that piece of the story. It would be a good book if you were teaching children about math. But, I wouldn't recommend to others to read.
Jeanne Mcpeak
Sep 05, 2013 Jeanne Mcpeak rated it it was ok
This book was very different and even though it is written as a picture book would be more appropriate for an older child. It covers a few topics such as bullying, facing your fears and finding friends in unexpected places. The illustrations were creative but dark and a little scary, the text was hard to follow for a child.
Kate
Feb 18, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing
Crazy, wonky illustrations that incorporate photographs. Weird, dijointed tale about a Norwegian kid, his bully and the creepy old man down the street whom he befriends after accidentally setting the man's yard on fire. I don't know if kids would like this, but I did.
Kirstin Kemppainen
I did not like this book at all. I thought it was inappropriate for children, the colors were dark, the pictures were weird and creepy, and the book was all over the place. One minute they were talking about a fire and the next minute about flowers. Absolute horrible book.
Catalina
Apr 12, 2012 Catalina rated it really liked it
a great tale about an intergenerational friendship and common(ish) passions. But is this about bullying as well, or is it that the book does not need to have a clear message, and the author simply wnats you to 'enjoy the ride'?
Ann
Mar 04, 2012 Ann rated it it was amazing
This sequel to the BolognaRagazzi Award winner Garmann's Summer is as equally perplexing and beautiful as its predecessor. Stian Hole's books are not for every child (or adult) but they are certainly unique and memorable.
Betsy
Jun 10, 2013 Betsy rated it really liked it
These are the strangest books, but I just keep going back for more. Very intriguing pictures but unsettling story lines. Nothing overtly offensive... Just "off" in a strange sort of way. I'll have to read them all.
Nerissa Lindauer
Apr 08, 2013 Nerissa Lindauer rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
I thought that the book was confusing and it felt like pieces of information was missing. In the story.I would no recommend this book for any grade I feel like they would also be confused.
Danielle
Aug 04, 2013 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I liked this one even better than the first.

About bullies and bullies who turn out not to be bullies at all. About facing fears.
Loren
Jun 22, 2010 Loren rated it really liked it
a quirky picture book ... with an unusal narrative. I think the illustration style is unique and interesting. I am a sucker for collage.
John
Jun 17, 2010 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Strange. Strange. STRANGE. I cannot wait to discuss this book with a child.
Kim Piddington
Aug 06, 2013 Kim Piddington rated it liked it
Unique artwork illustrates this story about triumphing over a bully.
Marie
May 01, 2012 Marie rated it really liked it
I thought the artwork was very creative.
MagnoliaMom
Jul 07, 2011 MagnoliaMom rated it liked it
Great illustrations by Stian Hole.
Jj
Jj rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Elisabeth Gjersdal
Elisabeth Gjersdal rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Walker Memorial
Walker Memorial marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Simone Isabel
Simone Isabel rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Katarina Norrgård
Katarina Norrgård rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Anna Friis
Anna Friis rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Stian Hole (born 20 March 1969, in Tønsberg, Norway) is a Norwegian graphic designer, illustrator and writer of children's books. He has made numerous book covers and three picture books which have gained national and international recognition. His book Garmann's Summer earned him an Ezra Jack Keats New Writer Award in 2009. In 2009 he won the Nordic Children's Book Prize.
More about Stian Hole...