Start by marking “The Eagle's Prey: A Novel of the Roman Army” as Want to Read:
The Eagle's Prey: A Novel of the Roman Army

The Eagle's Prey: A Novel of the Roman Army (Eagle #5)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  2,910 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
The mighty Roman army faces Britain's defiant tribes in this epic fifth novel of Simon Scarrow's acclaimed series, The Eagle's Prey

It is late summer AD 44, and the battle-weary Roman legions are in their second year of campaigning against the British tribes. The troop' commander, General Plautius, is under considerable pressure from the emperor to crush the natives once an
Published November 1st 2005 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Eagle's Prey, please sign up.

-Bordeando el subgénero de la “aventura histórica”.-

Género. Novela histórica.

Lo que nos cuenta. Tras algo más de un año desde que Claudio decidió invadir y conquistar Britania para la Antigua Roma, los avances romanos no son todo lo rápidos que se esperaba debido a la enconada resistencia de los habitantes a ser romanizados con facilidad. Para destruir las fuerzas de uno de los líderes locales más activos, Carataco, se prepara una trampa en la que los centuriones Cato y Macro tendrán un papel im
Still in Britain with Cato and Marco, still fighting Caratacus. Things go wrong for them in this one as Maximius, their tit of a second centurion makes a right cock up of a battle and lets Caratacus escape out of the Roman army's grasp. However it's Cato and some of his men that end up taking the blame. Due to be beaten to death by the rest of the men, Marco helps him escaspe and they flee to the marshes only to be captured by Caratacus. This is where we get to see a human side to Caratacus as i ...more
Aug 29, 2015 Patrizia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lieblinge, 2015
just brillant, once i started to read it i could not put it down. a good entertaining adventure with great battle scenes
Marianne Grahn
Her ble det for mange slagscener og blod i begynnelsen til at jeg orket mer. Har likt de tidligere bøkene om Macro og Cato som er legionærer i den romerske hæren, men de har inneholdt mer person- og miljøskildring.
Definitely my favorite one in the series so far. I think that's because it took a nice detour from what was becoming the normal routine of the story following the 2nd Legion around Britain kicking the crap out of barbarians. Detour might actually be an understatement.

This one actually reached something of a serious conclusion in that Macro and Cato finish the book being transferred away from the 2nd Legion. Their past actions being too heroic to punish, and too insubordinate to overlook. But ju
Cato and Macro are two Roman soldiers. Cato is young, a child of a palace official who fell on hard times, as a result Cato joined the army. Macro is a veteran soldier. The two form a friendship forged in battles from Germany to Gaul and then onto Britain.

This book is based around 40 AD when the Roman's commenced their conquest of the British isles.

Cato and Macro are characters I warmed to quickly. Cato is quicker witted and has a broader perspective. Macro is practical and cynical, he excels i
Steven Hodgson
May 10, 2015 Steven Hodgson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The invasion of Britain is in the second year and the general is starting to feel the pressure to finish it quickly, especially when an unexpected visitor turns up in Britain. Marco and Cato now back in the legions, after their adventures in the last book, are trying to integrate themselves into their new cohort. Cato is finding this harder than his friend and mentor dus to his percieved lack of experience. The senior centurian in particular seems to have taken offence to Cato joining his cohort ...more
Ivan A.
Nov 13, 2011 Ivan A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Eagles Prey by Simon Scarrow was a book about the Roman Legion against the Celtic warband. There are 2 main characters in it. One being Cato and the other Macro. What attracted me the most to this book was how detailed every command sequence was. The tactics the generals used in the book really brought out a sense of realism. Not only that but the mixed emotions everyone had and the bloody combat. The book just makes you feel as if you were in there at that time.

Cato and Macro are both Centu
Nathan Trachta
Jan 23, 2011 Nathan Trachta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Sharpe's Rifles
After finishing The Eagle and the Wolves I couldn’t wait to dive into The Eagle’s Prey. As with the earlier books, our heroes Centurions Macro and Cato are in England fighting with the 2nd Legion trying to subdue the Celts. Having recovered from their wounds (When the Eagle Hunts) and training local auxilia (The Eagle and the Wolves) our now centurions are now serving in the 3rd Cohort of the 2nd Legion under Centurion Maximius, trying to trap the Celts under Caratacus to end the fighting in Eng ...more
Jan 23, 2012 Bloody rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
'The Eagle's Prey' is my first Simon Scarrow novel, and I'm afraid it will be my last. In fact, had it not been given to me as a gift I probably wouldn't have finished it, and that is a rare thing for me.

I'm a huge fan of historical fiction, from Steven Pressfield and Bernard Cornwell to Robert Low and Tim Severin, but I've found that whenever I venture beyond these authors to try and find something new, I end up disappointed. Granted, 'The Eagle's Prey' is probably not the best place to step i
Jason Golomb
“The Eagle's Prey” is Simon Scarrow's solid fifth volume in his "Eagle" series focused on roman military adventures in the early first century, AD. This is not the best of Scarrow's series, but it's an entertaining story of well-written action sequences held together by a reasonably solid, if not unique and totally cohesive, plot.

If you're new the adventures of now-Centurions Macro and Cato, you should look to “Under the Eagle” (#1) and “The Eagle's Conquest” (#2) for the best in terms of charac
Nuno Silva
Jun 26, 2015 Nuno Silva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorei novamente mais este livro da série da Águia de Simon Scarrow.
A história é muito cativante e os pormenores são deliciosos de tal forma que não nos transportam apenas para essa altura, mas também em alguns momentos conseguimos mesmo sentir a velocidade dos pensamentos de Cato durante a batalha.... é mesmo preciso ler para compreender o que eu quero dizer. É qualquer coisa de extraordinário.
Não faltam momentos de tensão, traição, intriga, etc.
Tenho pena de ter encontrado alguns erros ortográ
Jun 20, 2007 Stuart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked the book up from a local supermarket not realizing that it is the fifth in a series about the Roman invasion of Britain way back then when Claudius was the Emperor! The author comes to the task from an academic interest in the Romans but writes in a 'Bernard Cromwell' style. It is enjoyable as long as you can accept the Romans are the 'goodies' civilising the barbaric Britons. Caractacus is treated as the courageous giant who is too dumb to accept the advice of the young captured Centur ...more
May 26, 2016 Ricardo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book we continue to accompany the centurions Macro and Cato in the Roman's Empire campaign in Britannia.
This has been so far one of my favorites, topping the first in the series, since in this one the characters experienced their biggest trial so far.
After a series of events they lose their honor, with different consequences in each case, but still have to go through some ordeals until the end of the book.
It was also interesting to see on this book a glimpse of how the roman army exercis
Alessandro Pellizzari
Oct 05, 2015 Alessandro Pellizzari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romanzi, fantasy, e
Finalmente una storia appassionante, con una buona trama, ben scritta e per la maggior parte col ritmo giusto.

Purtroppo nei primi capitoli a volte il ritmo "salta", perdendosi in descrizioni e flashback in momenti di azione, e liquidando situazioni che richiederebbero più spiegazioni. Per fortuna si stabilizza velocemente.

Jan 13, 2016 Indigo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Not the best book in the Eagle series, but still an entertaining read.
I guess the author tried to break from the traditional path of Cato & Macro, but it became quite far fetched at the end.
However, I am eager to discover what Rome has in reserve for our friends in the next book!
Jun 04, 2015 Mattblaster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was an excellent historical source that had a heart wrenching story line behind it. The characters have so much depth and give the appearance of actual people with all entailed emotions.
Okay. Enough twists and plot movements to keep you reading but nothing that will keep your brain ticking over once you've finished the book.
Scott Gardner
Aug 31, 2016 Scott Gardner rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historic
Probably the worst one of the first 5 , good start , then slowly grinds along as Cato tries to recue his career and reputation
Luka Novak
Mar 05, 2015 Luka Novak rated it did not like it
Weak book in otherwise interesting series. While first half is decent and up to previous books' standards it goes downhill later. After roman failure at the fords and military trial it becomes unrealistic. While some acts are believable the consequences are not. I'll avoid details to avoid spoilers but anybody with some knowledge of roman military ill be able to see what I'm talking about.

Besides, when Cato gets in troubles it's hard to feel suspense, seeing how next books in series are also cal
Jun 26, 2015 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another FAB read by Mr Scarrow, good plot linked into an historical factual background. Good old romping yarn with the bad the good and the ugly (Britons again)
Tom D
Feb 16, 2015 Tom D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Brilliant book, once I started to read it I could not put it down, ignoring almost everything else for days. Gripped my attention, loved the book.
Dec 13, 2015 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would rate this 3 stars as a stand-alone novel... but this is a 4 star read for fans of Cato & Macro. They pair with a commander who is inadequate and thus at odds with our heroes. The best part of this novel is the last few chapters. Great action and it appears as if they will actually return to Rome. Just when I was wondering how Scarrow could continue the saga on the British isle... only so many storylines you can create with the Roman army fighting the native Celtic tribes. Looking for ...more
Oct 17, 2008 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Roman History Fans, Historical Fiction Readers
I forgot to review this book when I read it, which was sometime before "Eagle's Prophecy".

This book stretches probability a little thin, but allows for a good story. Scarrow manages to keep the reader engaged throughout the story, and despite knowing there are more books in the series, there were many tense moments wehre I wondered exactly what the fates of centurions Macro and Cato would be.

That's not an easy task.

Few anachronisms, well written, and well paced. I like Scarrow's stuff.
Anne Domingo
Dec 05, 2014 Anne Domingo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another great historical novel.
John Warren
Nov 17, 2014 John Warren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
best one of the series i read so far on to the 6th one
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Another good adventure from Simon. Our two friends, Cato and Macro are both centurions under the command of a bad piece of work, Maximus who botches up an important piece of work which manages to lead to the selection, by lots, of those troops to be decimated. Poor cato is one of the ones chosen... Ooo-er! But have no fear! All will be well because we know there are more books in the series. The build-up of tension is very good and the knife-edge battles are bloody. Good stuff!
Nov 05, 2013 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Very quick page turners, great books to read for a simple straight forward adventure. The books description of the combat scenes are very cool. The books get very repetitive, Cato pulls everyone butts out of the fire, doesn't get the credit he deserves, Marco is a tough guy,last minute escapes one after another.

It reminds me of a TV show like Zena warrior princess, same stuff every episode with little or no advances in a larger story line. That being said, still a fun read.
Richard Azia
Jul 10, 2014 Richard Azia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a good continuation of the series.
  • King of Kings (Warrior of Rome, #2)
  • Fortress of Spears (Empire, #3)
  • The Road to Rome (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #3)
  • Defender of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #2)
  • Rome's Executioner (Vespasian, #2)
  • Gallia Invicta (Marius' Mules, #3)
Simon Scarrow is a UK-based author, born in Nigeria, and now living in Norfolk. He completed a master's degree at the University of East Anglia, and, after working at the Inland Revenue, went into teaching as a lecturer at City College, Norwich.

He is best known for his "Eagle" series. This is Roman empire military fiction, starting with the second invasion of Britain, and continuing with subsequen
More about Simon Scarrow...

Eagle (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Under the Eagle (Eagle, #1)
  • The Eagle's Conquest (Eagle, #2)
  • When the Eagle Hunts (Eagle, #3)
  • The Eagle and the Wolves (Eagle, #4)
  • The Eagle's Prophecy (Eagle, #6)
  • The Eagle in the Sand (Eagle, #7)
  • Centurion (Eagle, #8)
  • The Gladiator (Eagle, #9)
  • The Legion (Eagle, #10)
  • Praetorian (Eagle, #11)