Start by marking “The Sharp Edge of a Knife” as Want to Read:
The Sharp Edge of a Knife

The Sharp Edge of a Knife

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  22 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Most people would have panicked, sitting bound and gagged on a boulder in the middle of the desert as I was, but for some reason, I didn't. A strange kind of reassurance washed over me from somewhere deep within. Whether It was peace that I'd go quickly, or comfort that I was being protected, I wasn't sure.
Published January 20th 2010 by Golden Wings

To ask other readers questions about The Sharp Edge of a Knife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sharp Edge of a Knife

Tristi
Feb 07, 2010 Tristi rated it it was amazing
This true story of a teacher's abduction and his use of faith to stay positive throughout his ordeal is brilliantly written in the language of the time and is a touching tribute to one man's endurance and the legacy he left for his family.
Ali Cross
Mar 27, 2010 Ali Cross rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: LDS readers
I'm friends with the author of this book, so I'd heard about The Sharp Edge of a Knife for quite some time and had a lot of interest in reading it. I'm not normally a fan of true-crime kind of stories, but the way Ms. Giles talked about the story intrigued me.

And wow, she did not let me down.

Written in the first person narrative from both Mel (Ms. Giles's grandfather) and Jeneal (her grandmother) the Sharp Edge of a Knife tells how Mel is kidnapped and taken on a day-long escapade by two crimina
Anna Dye
Mar 16, 2010 Anna Dye rated it it was amazing
Most people would have panicked, sitting bound and gagged on a boulder in the middle of the desert as I was, but for some reason, I didn't. A strange kind of reassurance washed over me from somewhere deep within. Whether it was peace that I'd go quickly, or comfort that I was being protected, I wasn't sure. When Mel Petersen leaves for work on the morning of February 7, he has no idea what awaits him. A few miles from his house, Mel picks up a pair of young men who appear to be college students, ...more
Nancy
Apr 16, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-nonfiction
The Sharp Edge of a Knife was obviously written by a granddaughter who adores her grandparents, and has told a wonderful story leaving a legacy of faith for the generations to come. I enjoyed this captivating book, and grew to care about Mel and Geneal and their family of five young ones, plus one on the way. They were portrayed in a positive light without making them seem as if they were perfect, just doing the best they could under trying circumstances, and to respond with faith and love. The ...more
H.B. Moore
Jan 16, 2015 H.B. Moore rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, religious
An intriguing story based on true events of author D.N. Giles' grandfather. Full review coming soon.
Patricia
May 15, 2014 Patricia rated it liked it
This was a nice story and I am sure the family treasures it as a family history story.
Alaina
Aug 22, 2012 Alaina rated it it was amazing

Would you be willing to face death in the eye to save a stranger? Mel Peterson, married with five children and one on the way, did just that. Being a religious man, Mel reached out to aid someone in need only to find himself ensnared in a deadly trap. His unbreakable faith gave him the courage to fight for his life and inspired another to have hope in saving his own.
Karlene Browning
Jul 28, 2010 Karlene Browning rated it really liked it
This was a quick read, well-written and captivating! Nichole captured the voice and feel of that era very well. Mel, the kidnap victim, ends up preaching the gospel to his two captors and yet, it wasn't preachy at all to the reader. Handled very, very well.
Heather
Mar 25, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
Great true story of her grandfather's experience of being kidnapped at knife point and his struggle to escape alive. A quick and engrossing read.
Shanda
Mar 24, 2010 Shanda rated it really liked it
Good, quick story based on a real life event. Suspenseful and well written. Read my full review on www.ldswomensbookreview.com.
Heather
May 09, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious, suspense
Margaret Larsen Turley
Mar 15, 2010 Margaret Larsen Turley rated it it was amazing
Reality Fiction. Story based on true news event - the author's grandfather's kidnapping.
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Richard-Marlene Hall
Richard-Marlene Hall rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Seth Morin
Seth Morin marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 18, 2013
Angie Whittemore
Angie Whittemore rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2012
Dani Dennis
Dani Dennis marked it as to-read
May 09, 2012
RaShelle Workman
RaShelle Workman marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2011
Necia
Necia marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2011
Lucinda
Lucinda marked it as to-read
May 11, 2011
Darvell Hunt
Darvell Hunt marked it as to-read
May 08, 2011
Beth Ann
Beth Ann marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2010
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2010
David West
David West rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2010
Shelena
Shelena marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2010