Start by marking “Yuck That's Not A Monster” as Want to Read:
Yuck That's Not A Monster

Yuck That's Not A Monster

When Mr and Mrs Monster's three eggs hatch, the first two monsters are frightful and horrid. Mr and Mrs Monster are delighted! But then the third monster hatches - and he's fluffy and cute and pink! Oh no...
Published May 1st 2013 by Good Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Yuck That's Not A Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yuck That's Not A Monster

Ana
A ilustradora deste livro está em destaque na biblioteca de Torres Vedras este mês e eu decidi dar uma espreitadela. Uma monstruosa fofura, é tudo que que tenho a dizer sobre este livro, ahah!
Sarah BT
Mar 09, 2011 Sarah BT rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Yuck! That's Not a Monster is a fun take on the ugly duckling story. Little Shock is the pink monster and he's a shock to his monster family. He has no scales or lumps and instead is very cute and cuddly. He likes to give kisses instead of roar and go scaring.

Kids will get a kick of the twist on the monster story. Little Shock may not seem like a monster, but he saves the day in the end and will leave readers cheering. Bright colorful illustrations and large easy to read text make this a great
Loren
Aug 02, 2010 Loren rated it really liked it
The illusrations are adorable esp the littlest monster, Little Schock (aawwwh. I think this best for Preschoolers for it is hard to explain to toddlers that the parent/child relationship was not ideal and the sibilings were not accepting ... but then again they are all MONSTERS. In the end, all is resolved and the "ugly duckling'" saves the day and is accepted by all.
Andrea
Sep 08, 2014 Andrea rated it really liked it
This is a good monster book for those that might be scared of monsters. The only part that may be a bit off-putting is that the pink, fluffy monster is a boy. I kept trying to refer to him as her but it could also be a good lesson on things aren't always what they seem. Monsters aren't all scary and mean and just because someone (something?) is pink doesn't mean it's girly.
LeAnn Forystek
Apr 09, 2014 LeAnn Forystek rated it liked it
I honestly have nothing bad to say about this book. I thought it was very cute and the monsters acted like monsters so nothing they said really offended me, except for when the dad said, "let's throw it in the trash can". This might be sensitive to those who are against abortion, but maybe I'm reading too into it. Take out that line and I absolutely loved this book.
Joann Trupiano
Nov 14, 2011 Joann Trupiano rated it liked it
I would have thoroughly enjoyed this story, albeit one exception. i understand the story was about monsters, so when the baby is born sweet and cuddly, it is understandable that the monster siblings,find him frightful, and horrid. However, when the father says "He is a bit of a shock." "Lets throw him in the trash can" it was pretty jarring. All I could think of, was news headlines where this has become a reality. Why was this ever allowed into this book? Shameful not to catch such an obvious fa ...more
Bari
Aug 14, 2014 Bari rated it really liked it
Yuck! That's Not a Monster! is a perfect choice for story time ages 3 - 5.
With bight colorful monster,s that don't always behave as monsters should, will have the children laughing out loud.

Erin
Mar 11, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
This is about a little monster who is incredibly cute and cuddly when hatched instead of horrible and frightful like his siblings. I love that he gets accepted in the end for being himself.
Dolly
Oct 18, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, monsters, 2011
This is a cute and fuzzy monster version of The Ugly Duckling. The sweet, adorable monster is loathed and abhorred by his monster family because he was so different. Only his mama protected him from being squashed outright. But in the end, Little Shock proved his worth and gains acceptance from his siblings. It's a funny and sweet tale that little children will like. It teaches about accepting others who are different from us and that we all have worth and special talents. We enjoyed reading thi ...more
Molly
May 28, 2014 Molly rated it really liked it
This would be good for monster storyhour.
Andi Fatahillah
Mar 01, 2014 Andi Fatahillah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is hilarious and surprising!!!
Meghan Hunt
Sep 10, 2015 Meghan Hunt rated it really liked it
Shelves: jp-picture-books
Great for a monster storytime
Kelli
Jul 28, 2010 Kelli rated it really liked it
The monster family is stumped by their cute, cuddly baby. A good book to read aloud - howling action, stomping, winking.

Along the lines of Little Pea - a re-arranging of normal circumstances.

"If you want to play with us, you need to be wild and rambunctious," said Frightful and Horrid. They showed him how to howl at the moon until it hid behind a cloud. But Little Shock was afraid of the dark."
Tricia
Sep 17, 2010 Tricia rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this title just based on how cute the monster is that is nearly rejected by his family. However, that rejection (dad says "let's throw him in the trash can") and the mean monster who thinks he is cotton candy cross the line for the faint of heart. Better for older preschool who are more likely to see humor than fear from the quirkiness of the book.
Malika J.
What a hilarious book! Three monsters are born, but one is all cute and fluffy. The two other siblings are put off by the third. They eventually learn to love each other in the end. This is a great book to talk about accepting others. I would use this with younger kids, especially if issues involving bullying were arising in the classroom.
Brooke Newberry
Apr 21, 2012 Brooke Newberry rated it liked it
Cute book about a pretty monster born into a family of horrid ones. A lot like Little Pea. The twist at the end of the book is predictable, but still funny. My storytime kids weren't a huge fan of this. I think it was a little bit too long for them and there wasn't enough action.

2/20/2012 & 2/22/2012
Karen Hanson
Oct 17, 2013 Karen Hanson rated it really liked it
My two year old and four year old love this story! The illustrations are great, and the characters are endearing! While the girls love how Little Shock deals with the big monster, I love the cotton candy line. This is a fun story to read together!
Library Quine
Jan 02, 2012 Library Quine rated it really liked it
A surprising success with the Family Storytime group. Tied in well with a monsters v aliens theme. I enhanced the kids enjoyment by feigning forgetting siblings names, and getting group to remind me periodically through the reading.
Rachel Bergin
Dec 17, 2010 Rachel Bergin rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I love doing monster themed storytimes (I just can't pass up an excuse to do the monster pokey!), so this is quite a great find for me. It will be a great read aloud book for little ones. The illustrations are fantastic also.
Mandy
May 07, 2013 Mandy rated it liked it
(3.5 stars)

Mr. and Mrs. Monster's three eggs hatched, and two of their babies were ugly and frightening little monsters. The third monster baby was adorable. Would their cute darling fit in with their horrid family?
Tyler
Jan 06, 2011 Tyler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, fantasy
This was pretty great! It's a deep examination of what it actually means to be scary. The roles are reversed, the world is turned upside-down, and I really learned something. And I laughed as well.

Paula
Apr 28, 2012 Paula rated it it was ok

As Mr. and Mrs. Monster's three eggs begin to hatch, they happily welcome the first two ugly little monsters to come out, but are shocked and disappointed when they see what pops out of their last egg.
Jun 17, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What's a terrible monster family to do when there newest addition is an adorable pink fuzzball with bright blue eyes? Showcases the importance of embracing everyone's differences.
Stefani
Dec 14, 2010 Stefani rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-picture
I loved this! Horrid and Frightful's disdain for their brother cracked me up. I already am a fan of monster books in general, and this is one of my new favorites.
Jessica
Apr 02, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
Lovely book. The little monster is adorable. My daughters enjoy having this read at night time before bed and its not scary for them, even though its about monsters!
Kim
Nov 18, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
Adorable illustrations, though it's upsetting that they want to get rid of the thing so violently. The smallest of changes could have fixed this.
Marie
Aug 31, 2010 Marie rated it liked it
Not an origianl idea (the reverse-scary monster plot). Still, the illustrations are adorable (oh, how horrible!) and the characters are fun.
Sara Register
Oct 11, 2011 Sara Register rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrensbooks
My kids thought this book was absolutely hilarious. They laughed and laughed and wanted me to read it again and again. It's a keeper.
Jen
Jun 14, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
The illustrations just made the book for me. Little Shock is so adorable I said a mental "awwwww" whenever I saw his picture. :)
Erin
Sep 14, 2010 Erin rated it liked it
Sweet little tale about how being a sweet, fluffy monster isn't always what you want. Except when it comes in handy!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Bedtime for Bear
  • Huff & Puff
  • If You're A Monster And You Know It
  • If You See a Kitten
Angela McAllister has written over thirty children's books. She lives in Hampshire with her husband and their two children, who are often the inspiration for her stories.
More about Angela McAllister...