Yuck! That's Not a Monster!

Yuck! That's Not a Monster!

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  44 reviews
When Mr and Mrs Monster's three eggs hatch, the first two monsters are frightful and horrid. Mr and Mrs Monster are delighted! But then the third monster hatches - and he's fluffy and cute and pink! Oh no...
Published June 1st 2010 by Good Books (first published 2010)

Sarah BT
Yuck! That's Not a Monster is a fun take on the ugly duckling story. Little Shock is the pink monster and he's a shock to his monster family. He has no scales or lumps and instead is very cute and cuddly. He likes to give kisses instead of roar and go scaring.

Kids will get a kick of the twist on the monster story. Little Shock may not seem like a monster, but he saves the day in the end and will leave readers cheering. Bright colorful illustrations and large easy to read text make this a great...more
Loren
The illusrations are adorable esp the littlest monster, Little Schock (aawwwh. I think this best for Preschoolers for it is hard to explain to toddlers that the parent/child relationship was not ideal and the sibilings were not accepting ... but then again they are all MONSTERS. In the end, all is resolved and the "ugly duckling'" saves the day and is accepted by all.
LeAnn Forystek
I honestly have nothing bad to say about this book. I thought it was very cute and the monsters acted like monsters so nothing they said really offended me, except for when the dad said, "let's throw it in the trash can". This might be sensitive to those who are against abortion, but maybe I'm reading too into it. Take out that line and I absolutely loved this book.
Joann Trupiano
I would have thoroughly enjoyed this story, albeit one exception. i understand the story was about monsters, so when the baby is born sweet and cuddly, it is understandable that the monster siblings,find him frightful, and horrid. However, when the father says "He is a bit of a shock." "Lets throw him in the trash can" it was pretty jarring. All I could think of, was news headlines where this has become a reality. Why was this ever allowed into this book? Shameful not to catch such an obvious fa...more
Erin
This is about a little monster who is incredibly cute and cuddly when hatched instead of horrible and frightful like his siblings. I love that he gets accepted in the end for being himself.
Dolly
Oct 18, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens, monsters
This is a cute and fuzzy monster version of The Ugly Duckling. The sweet, adorable monster is loathed and abhorred by his monster family because he was so different. Only his mama protected him from being squashed outright. But in the end, Little Shock proved his worth and gains acceptance from his siblings. It's a funny and sweet tale that little children will like. It teaches about accepting others who are different from us and that we all have worth and special talents. We enjoyed reading thi...more
Andi Fatahillah
It is hilarious and surprising!!!
Kelli
The monster family is stumped by their cute, cuddly baby. A good book to read aloud - howling action, stomping, winking.

Along the lines of Little Pea - a re-arranging of normal circumstances.

"If you want to play with us, you need to be wild and rambunctious," said Frightful and Horrid. They showed him how to howl at the moon until it hid behind a cloud. But Little Shock was afraid of the dark."
Tricia
I wanted to like this title just based on how cute the monster is that is nearly rejected by his family. However, that rejection (dad says "let's throw him in the trash can") and the mean monster who thinks he is cotton candy cross the line for the faint of heart. Better for older preschool who are more likely to see humor than fear from the quirkiness of the book.
Malika J.
What a hilarious book! Three monsters are born, but one is all cute and fluffy. The two other siblings are put off by the third. They eventually learn to love each other in the end. This is a great book to talk about accepting others. I would use this with younger kids, especially if issues involving bullying were arising in the classroom.
Brooke Rasche
Cute book about a pretty monster born into a family of horrid ones. A lot like Little Pea. The twist at the end of the book is predictable, but still funny. My storytime kids weren't a huge fan of this. I think it was a little bit too long for them and there wasn't enough action.

2/20/2012 & 2/22/2012
Karen Hanson
My two year old and four year old love this story! The illustrations are great, and the characters are endearing! While the girls love how Little Shock deals with the big monster, I love the cotton candy line. This is a fun story to read together!
Library Quine
A surprising success with the Family Storytime group. Tied in well with a monsters v aliens theme. I enhanced the kids enjoyment by feigning forgetting siblings names, and getting group to remind me periodically through the reading.
Rachel Bergin
I love doing monster themed storytimes (I just can't pass up an excuse to do the monster pokey!), so this is quite a great find for me. It will be a great read aloud book for little ones. The illustrations are fantastic also.
Mandy
(3.5 stars)

Mr. and Mrs. Monster's three eggs hatched, and two of their babies were ugly and frightening little monsters. The third monster baby was adorable. Would their cute darling fit in with their horrid family?
Tyler
This was pretty great! It's a deep examination of what it actually means to be scary. The roles are reversed, the world is turned upside-down, and I really learned something. And I laughed as well.

Paula

As Mr. and Mrs. Monster's three eggs begin to hatch, they happily welcome the first two ugly little monsters to come out, but are shocked and disappointed when they see what pops out of their last egg.
What's a terrible monster family to do when there newest addition is an adorable pink fuzzball with bright blue eyes? Showcases the importance of embracing everyone's differences.
Stefani
I loved this! Horrid and Frightful's disdain for their brother cracked me up. I already am a fan of monster books in general, and this is one of my new favorites.
Nancy
Kami
Charming book with great illustrations. I wish the little pink fluffy monster had been a girl instead of a boy though. It was kinda weird for him to be a boy.
Jessica
Lovely book. The little monster is adorable. My daughters enjoy having this read at night time before bed and its not scary for them, even though its about monsters!
Kim
Adorable illustrations, though it's upsetting that they want to get rid of the thing so violently. The smallest of changes could have fixed this.
Marie
Not an origianl idea (the reverse-scary monster plot). Still, the illustrations are adorable (oh, how horrible!) and the characters are fun.
Sara Register
My kids thought this book was absolutely hilarious. They laughed and laughed and wanted me to read it again and again. It's a keeper.
Jen
The illustrations just made the book for me. Little Shock is so adorable I said a mental "awwwww" whenever I saw his picture. :)
Erin
Sweet little tale about how being a sweet, fluffy monster isn't always what you want. Except when it comes in handy!
Margaret
Fun read aloud with the kids. It's about a monster that is too adorable for the rest of his scary monster family.
April
This picture book featured the CUTEST MONSTER EVER and totally provided me with a moment of aww and zen.
Edna
What happens when a cute cuddly monster is born into a scary, horrid and frightful family?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Ashland 566 Autum...: Picture Book 37 1 1 Nov 18, 2012 05:03AM
Angela McAllister has written over thirty children's books. She lives in Hampshire with her husband and their two children, who are often the inspiration for her stories.
More about Angela McAllister...
My Mom Has X-Ray Vision Leon and the Place Between Found You, Little Wombat! Little Mist. by Angela McAllister Digory the Dragon Slayer