Start by marking “A Summer in Gascony: The Other South of France” as Want to Read:
A Summer in Gascony: The Other South of France

A Summer in Gascony: The Other South of France

Gascony’s incredible culture and beautiful landscape shine as Martin Calder is introduced to “the other South of France.” In the tiny hamlet of Peguilhan, Martin discovers the unique personalities of Jacques-Henri (the hardworking farmer), Anja (the lovely German student), Pattes (a trouble-making stray dog), and more—including the town gossip and a man with incredible Gas ...more
Paperback, New edition, 228 pages
Published June 1st 2009 by Nicholas Brealey (first published March 13th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Summer in Gascony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Summer in Gascony

Stephanie Dagg
The book recounts the author’s experiences from the summer he spent as a stagiare, a temporary worker or “trainee general dogsbody”, with the Cazagnac family in the tiny village of Péguilhan, Gascony, France. The family runs a farm and auberge, and the author helps out in both of these, doing everything from watering the tomatoes to shovelling sheep poo to peeling cornichons to cooking magret de canard. He tackles everything with enthusiasm, apart from grain winnowing, which sounds to be complet ...more
sleeps9hours
I was going to give 3 stars, but I got tired of it by the end. Calder’s summer in Gascony involved mostly farm labor and helping in a small family restaurant/hotel, which he explains well in the beginning, but about halfway through he’s run out of steam so he switches to Gascon history. Unfortunately that still doesn’t make a book’s worth of words, so he bounces back to anecdotes, but by this time the good ones are used up and the last 80 pages or so felt like filler.

p. 59 Whatever others might
Suzanne
Apr 12, 2010 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french-theme
Another pleasing inside look at rural France--la France Profonde--through the eyes of an Anglophone visitor. The author takes you through his summer working at a farm and auberge in southwest France, learning about the local life, the inhabitants, and a bit of history. Very enjoyable, and makes you want to be there.
Turi
Mar 10, 2009 Turi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france, ex-pat
Martin Calder's story of the summer in his twenties that he spent working at an auberge in rural Gascony ranks as one of the best books on life in France that I've read. His feel for the country, the level of detail he remembers about the life and language, was remarkable. One of the best things I can say about a travel book: He made me want to go there.
Amanda
Dec 22, 2014 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A Year in Provence, but with an indecipherable dialect, and the author is the one doing all the hard work instead of paying locals to do it.

[This review originally appeared on my blog. You can see the post here.]
Mackay
Sep 22, 2008 Mackay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, france
An easy little book. Happy to go there, continuing my vicarious "living in France." Not for vegans but true to the real life of a farm. I could have done without the "years later..." chapter, which raised questions left unanswered and didn't round out the book. But it's a likeable sojourn, all the same.
Rosie Beck
May 10, 2009 Rosie Beck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks Turi! What a little gem of a book. A summer spent in the Gascony region of France told with charm, insights, and a definite sweetness. His free use of adjectives makes you taste the tarts, smell the sheep, feel the weight of a heavy summer sun, et al. Lovely memoir.
Jennie
May 04, 2009 Jennie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennie by: Chris Wright
Shelves: travel
Sorry, Chris, I didn't love this. Very interesting, though, and it reminded me a lot of the time I spent in that part of France.
Alicia Connally
Jun 23, 2014 Alicia Connally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not something I would usually love cause it tells a lot about the history of the area, but it was just do well written I loved it!!
MT
MT rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Latika
Latika rated it did not like it
Oct 31, 2009
Hh
Hh rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Debra
Debra rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2008
Dolly
Dolly rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2014
Davidr
Davidr rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2014
Kate Laubacher
Kate Laubacher rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2012
Rachele Baker
Rachele Baker rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Stacy Benton
Stacy Benton rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Brent
Brent rated it liked it
May 26, 2012
Penny
Penny rated it liked it
May 23, 2014
Joshua Swilley
Joshua Swilley rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Janet Daniels
Janet Daniels rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Toni Horsfield
Toni Horsfield rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Jerome Dive
Jerome Dive rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Imago
Imago rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2016
Rachel Easom
Rachel Easom rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Toffeeapple
Toffeeapple rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Emma
Emma rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2011
Dick Stout
Dick Stout rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2012