Start by marking “One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey” as Want to Read:
One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey

One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey (One Minute Manager)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,330 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
When a person goes to the boss with a problem and the boss agrees to do something about it, the monkey is off his back and onto the boss's. How can managers avoid these leaping monkeys? Here is priceless advice from three famous experts: how managers can meet their own priorities, give back other people's monkeys, and let them solve their own problems.
Published January 1st 1989 by William Morrow & Company (first published January 11th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey

The Power of Now by Eckhart TolleHappy for No Reason by Marci ShimoffYou have the Power for Incredible Success. Manifesting Success. by Tessy RawlinsSpartan Up! by Joe De SenaThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Best Positive Change Books
40th out of 126 books — 133 voters
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyCrucial Conversations by Kerry PattersonThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesInfluencer by Kerry PattersonFirst, Break All the Rules by Marcus Buckingham
Top Management Books
53rd out of 158 books — 131 voters

More lists with this book...

Daniel Taylor
Managers who use David Allen's "Getting Things Done" approach to managing their workflow will find this book instructive on how to use the same approach in managing employees.

The "monkey" in the title is defined as the "next move" and is separate from the project. Allen built on this with his "next action", the next step you can take toward completing a project that has no other steps before it. In "The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey", Blanchard offers a system for getting those next moves
Sara Phelps
Oct 20, 2010 Sara Phelps rated it it was amazing
This is a management book I can recommend whole-heartedly. It was super quick and easy to read, and I got some real-world, applicable tidbits out of it. The monkey metaphor sticks in your memory. Seriously, I applied it the next day at work and offloaded some stress-producing monkeys. It was awesome.
Jan 02, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Years ago, I had read The One Minute Manager and thought it was good but hadn't thought about it in years. Then, one day, I was in a meeting when one of my peers mentions this book about monkeys and I was like what? Whatever. Honestly, I didn't really think much about it since I had read the first one, thought it must have been the same book and kind of dismissed it.

Then, a few weeks later something happens and I've got this issue and I need one of the execs to help me with it. At the end, the
Indraroop
Oct 04, 2014 Indraroop rated it did not like it
TL;DR: identify delegation opportunities and delegate. Help your team members grow by giving them responsibility and use your time on problems that are yours.

But then again, why write two sentences when you could write an insufferably long book instead?
Josh
Jun 12, 2008 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the concepts discussed in the book. I think oftentimes I find myself picking up other people's monkeys and completing them. I think the most crucial part of this book for me in my personal life will be letting my child(ren) deal with their monkeys as far as possible before I intervene (if ever).

Monkey = the next move

Oncken’s Rules of Monkey Management

The dialogue between a boss and one of his or her people must not end until all monkeys have:

1. Descriptions – The “next moves” are identif
Janet
Mar 16, 2008 Janet rated it really liked it
I bought this book for somebody in my company, and like all good books, read it before I passed it on.

This book is humorous and gives you lots of practical ideas for how to respond to efforts by your subordinates and colleagues to delegate their work and responsibility to you. You will learn how to see them coming and to keep the monkey where it belongs: with them.

If you find that you are pressed for time, this book is an important source of ideas to free up your life to have less stress while
Renate
Apr 06, 2013 Renate rated it liked it
This book is aimed at managers, but I think it is useful for parents, team members, people in counseling; really anyone, because you just might pick up other people’s chores or projects because you think it will move things along better or easier or faster. Even if that’s a right assumption, you might create your own pitfall this way.

The examples in this book mostly cover the role of the manager, but give this book a try if you think you sometimes are too helpful for your own good. The message i
Chinara Ahmadova
Nov 07, 2015 Chinara Ahmadova rated it it was amazing
One book cannot be that much straightforward and easy-read! Great, useful and practical advice for everyone - from business to family on being more effecient in life and galvanizing people around you.
Kevin Anderson
Dec 01, 2014 Kevin Anderson rated it really liked it
This is a very quick read. It's to the point and has good advice on prioritization and making sure the work you're doing isn't work someone else could be doing better.
Anna
Oct 22, 2014 Anna rated it liked it
Recommended to Anna by: Epic
Probably my main problem with this stuff is that it's just really hard to read self-help/management/leadership books without feeling like you're being sold something. That said....

At Epic we often talk about the importance of all clinicians working at their highest level of licensure. Advanced practitioners(NPs or PAs) shouldn't be taking temperatures and rooming patients if MAs can handle it, NPs and PAs should diagnose where they are legally able or when following protocol, and the MDs should
David Christopher
Feb 16, 2014 David Christopher rated it liked it
The book boils down to an analogy - a monkey = a "next step" in any project.

See my full review here. Basically:

- Every monkey, or “next move” needs to be described.
- Every monkey needs an owner - and that owner should be the lowest level employee capable of caring for it.
- Every monkey needs insurance. The manager should impose a “recommend then act”, or an “act then advise” arrangement, depending on the level of trust the subordinate engenders.
- Every monkey needs a scheduled check up appointme
Sarah Young
May 19, 2014 Sarah Young rated it really liked it
Shelves: delegation
Very clear, easy-to-understand framework to use when delegating.

Like The One Minute Manager, this book also includes fairly outdated language and references.

That said, because delegation is something that many people struggle with, I recommend this book as one potential structure to use.

'Defining our monkeys," is simply a good thing to do in any situation - even those that don't specifically relate to delegation. "Not taking on other people's monkeys" allows us to trust and empower those around
Otsu yee
Oct 05, 2007 Otsu yee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definately a must read for anyone who "can't say no" when asked to take on a task that isn't theirs.
Debbie Williams
Jul 29, 2015 Debbie Williams rated it really liked it
Shelves: motivational
Short, easy read about getting rid of extra stress. I used to have quite a struggle with trying to do and be it all for everything and everybody. I was miserable, worried, to the point of being sick. I have finally learned that it's easier to step back and vocalize: "It's not my problem." This is a nicer way of communicating the same issues in getting rid of the monkeys that leap on your back and will taunt you endlessly. Just saying "No" is a good thing in the long run. Too bad I couldn't have ...more
Kyle
Feb 03, 2014 Kyle rated it really liked it
This book is one part of the "One Minute Manager" series. It provides rich, but simple insight to effectively lead by giving problems to the proper owner. As the author explains, management can become very overwhelming when problems are not handled by the right person and often times we, as managers, take our employees problems from them, rather than truly managing or leading. This is a very short and quick read and I would recommend this book to those in leadership positions or those who may fe ...more
Amanda Linehan
Jul 18, 2011 Amanda Linehan rated it really liked it
This book was very short and simple, but highly effective!

The idea is that, in any work situation, the "Monkey" is the next move to be made on any given project. If you aren't effectively managing your staff, they will constantly "let Monkeys jump on your back" by handing over the next step on a project to YOU instead of coming to you with suggestions for how to move something toward completion. This really resonated with me -- how many times has someone left me with a written report only to hav
Aaron Raphael
Feb 23, 2014 Aaron Raphael rated it really liked it
The use of monkeys to portray the ball in your court is hilarious but yet appropriate. For successful seasoned managers, the concepts and ideas offer nothing new (they are quite common sense really, and you would get it without reading the book if your EQ is high enough) but nonetheless it is one of the better reads in the One Minute Manager series.
Thomas Freeman
Apr 30, 2009 Thomas Freeman rated it liked it
I was expecting a lot more from this book after enjoying the original One Minute Manager as much as I have. For what the book shares, it is good. However, I think the basic concept is simple enough to shorten the book drastically or tell the story a bit differently.

Instead of seeing a lot of interaction, this book is written much more from the standpoint of someone telling us what he has learned. This is like a cross between a teaching guide and a parable. It doesn't do as well at either. It wo
Dominic McLoughlin
Apr 16, 2014 Dominic McLoughlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management
This is a short, easy to read book with the key idea of managers assisiting subordinates to work through their own problems, rather than take them over! Aimed at managers it has broader appeal and the image of the monkey it is highly memorable.

The monkey is the 'next move' and if you are a person who has trouble 'saying no' you will end up having a lot of monkeys on your back!
Stephen Weathers
Sep 04, 2015 Stephen Weathers rated it it was ok
I found the concept of monkeys on your back (next steps to be taken) to be rather genius. However, that concept gets buried in outdated management philosophy that's not applicable in the 21st century workplace. I ended up finding a Harvard Business Review article on monkeys that was much better than reading through this book.
Kay Mcaloney
Sep 26, 2014 Kay Mcaloney rated it liked it
As a person that has managed for years, I found a lot of this should be common sense. I understand the book was written in 1989 so maybe that was bleeding edge at the time. This might be handle for a new manager that doesn't have good time management skills or for a person who is a controller. The examples provided could help a new supervisor how to be more effective.
David Algeo
May 23, 2014 David Algeo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and quick read. Reinforces the need for managers to get out of the way and delegate more effectively. Great analogy - monkeys on backs - to represent the priblem of taking on other people's work/ problems (monkeys). here's my video review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDLf0...
Andrzej
Jul 19, 2014 Andrzej rated it it was amazing
genialna książka, uświadomienie sobie że istnieje "czas dyskrecjonalny" (swoją drogą debilne tłumaczenie zwrotu discretionary - kto po polsku mówi: w moim dyskrecjonalnym czasie lubię się wspinać?) oraz że kreatywność jest proporcjonalna do ilości tego czasu dyskrecjonalnego - priceless. Reszta książki też otwiera oczy
Melissa Namba
Feb 21, 2012 Melissa Namba rated it it was ok
Back when I was an undergrad, I would have had an different opinion. Right now, I feel like there were not enough concrete examples that were given. Anyone who is at the point where s/he realizes that s/he has picked up so many monkeys is going to have a hard time figuring out how to give the monkeys back. What a hard step! This also requires being able (and finding the time and energy) what monkeys belong where. In the beginning, Blanchard discusses how this book could be beneficial to professi ...more
Chuck Russo
Dec 02, 2015 Chuck Russo rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
An absolute must-read for anyone new to management, or parenting, or coaching, or teaching, or who can't figure out why there just never is enough time to get anything done. A real eye-opener. Very easy, quick read, and highly recommended.
Justin Seals
Oct 29, 2015 Justin Seals rated it really liked it
I don't usually take much stock in these business self help type books but I can honestly say this book shed some light on some issues I was experiencing at work and helped me work through them. All in all I would say it's worth a read.
Margaret
Feb 14, 2008 Margaret rated it liked it
Recommends it for: managers
Recommended to Margaret by: Tiffany Sorrell
Basically, if you're the manager and watching your staff "playing golf" on the weekends while you do all the dirty-work...you're not doing something right. This book explains delegation and the importance of creating an effective hierarchy. A good quick read about reminding how to MANAGE rather than do everything yourself because you didn't give others a chance to show their stuff. The basic crux is that others LIKE to be given those opportunities but in management situations we tend to be marty ...more
Zenon Berg
Oct 03, 2014 Zenon Berg rated it really liked it
Although easily misenterpretable in the wrong hands, I think this book covers what some leaders may be missing. You usually have to manage before you lead, and here explains a lot of the why.
Anne
Apr 03, 2015 Anne rated it liked it
Quickly reread this management book after many years on the shelf. Not as good as I remember, however, I still like the monkey concept - which I have referred to often.
Caroline Cormack
Nov 16, 2014 Caroline Cormack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I love the One Minute Manager series and this one is particularly pertinent for me. I should probably re-read it regularly to stop myself picking up bad habits again.
  • One Minute Sales Person, The: The Quickest Way to Sell People on Yourself, Your Services, Products, or Ideas--at Work and in Life
  • The Articulate Executive: Learn to Look, ACT, and Sound Like a Leader
  • Management Challenges for the 21st Century
  • How to Work for an Idiot: Survive & Thrive Without Killing Your Boss
  • The First-Time Manager
  • Fish! Tales: Real-Life Stories to Help You Transform Your Workplace and Your Life
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • What Matters Most: The Power of Living Your Values
  • Execution Premium
  • Self-Help
  • Management Tips: From Harvard Business Review
  • The Time Trap
  • The Pursuit of Wow!: Every Person's Guide to Topsy-Turvy Times
  • Managing With Power: Politics and Influence in Organizations
  • Why Should Anyone Be Led by You?: What It Takes To Be An Authentic Leader
  • Busting Loose from the Money Game: Mind-Blowing Strategies for Changing the Rules of a Game You Can't Win
  • The Oz Principle: Getting Results through Individual and Organizational Accountability
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

K
More about Kenneth H. Blanchard...

One Minute Manager (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The One Minute Manager
  • Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership
  • The One Minute Manager Builds High Performing Teams