Start by marking “Smugglers' Mine (Something Wickedly Weird, #5)” as Want to Read:
Smugglers' Mine (Something Wickedly Weird, #5)

Smugglers' Mine (Something Wickedly Weird #5)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
There's a new addition to the island of Crampton Rock. His name is MacDowell (yup, just one name) and he claims to have had some amazing pirate adventures with Admiral Swift, the great uncle of Stanley Buggles.Stanley is eager to know more about this MacDowell. Could this man help him uncover the secret of the Smuggler's map? Can he be trusted? Or once a pirate always a pi ...more
Published July 20th 2010 by Roaring Brook Press (first published July 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Smugglers' Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smugglers' Mine

Chris
Aug 31, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
Here we have book 5 in this series, which I believe is up to 6 now. Been a while since I have visited Crampton Rock and the character of Stanley Buggles. He's been through quite a lot over the time he's been there. I admit in this story I kinda figured out what was up with Mac-Dowell, a former pirate that befriends Stanley, but then why I'm saying that is for you to find out. The Darkling family is back as well, with an interesting twist by the end of this book. These are quick, fun reads that m ...more
Sheila
Jul 23, 2010 Sheila rated it really liked it
Claiming to know orphan Stanley Buggles’ uncle, pirate MacDowell entertains Stanley with stories of the times spent pirating with Uncle Bartholomew. Stanley and his friend Daisy decide to trust MacDowell with the treasure map they have. As they search for the rest of the map they must go into the Darkling house for it. Trying not to be discovered is not easy for them and they are discovered by the youngest Darkling, Berkeley. When they discover the treasure, they find out that someone else has a ...more
Go
Jul 25, 2013 Go rated it it was ok
I was interested to start this book to find out how the cliffhanger turned out from the ending in the last one. That was my favorite part. I was happy to see that the Darkling family was still playing a part in this story. The return of the werewolf was fun, but having said that it felt like a lot of the story was repeating itself. It seemed like very little happened and the character of the pirate MacDowell was ordinary, barely adding any flare to the adventure.
Emma
Jun 24, 2013 Emma rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids 7 and up!
Shelves: read-in-2013
I really like this book, Smugglers' Mine. In the Darkling's house cellar there is something mysterious that Stanley and his friends are working to discover. When they figure out what is in the cellar they try to keep it from every so that their home and everyone else's doesn't go down into the ocean.
Natalie
Oct 12, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it
An unusual mystery book. It is very short and the background is filled in as the story continues. The characters are kind of crazy and the plot a bit unexpected. A boy who has inherited a home from an uncle teams up with a pirate to solve a puzzle of a hidden treasure. A fun, quick read.
Angela
Jul 31, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it
5th book in the series, I have not read any of the others, but this was a cute story between old friends and new ones being brought in. Book was a review book from the district and I'm glad I found it. I've ordered the rest in the series.
Neville Ridley-smith
I think this one was somehow better constructed as a story. Some very real tension was there in a number of ways. There's still the problem of a lot of scenes feeling rushed - almost like they're in summary form and need fleshing out. A fun read.
Katie
Jul 29, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing
for Something Wickedly Weird: The Smuggler's Mine by Chris Mould.
Stanley and Daisy meet a pirate and have some adventures on Crampton Rock, discover a secret that could ruin their home and make some unlikely friends.
Leigh
Sep 07, 2010 Leigh rated it liked it
Kids will love the Wickedly Weird series, but as an adult, I found it silly and clunky. But, I'm not the target market.
*Miss Fame*
Sep 06, 2011 *Miss Fame* rated it really liked it
This one wasn't nearly as exciting as some of the others, but it wasn't bad. Still really love these characters!
Manecita
Nov 09, 2014 Manecita rated it liked it
Shelves: leídos-2014
Entretenido
Jordan
Jordan rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Intaluck Aphayasane
Intaluck Aphayasane marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Julie Matthews
Julie Matthews rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Alex Francis
Alex Francis marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
William
William rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Syrus
Syrus rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
Victoria Loy
Victoria Loy marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Deborah Sjuts
Deborah Sjuts marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Ayr
Ayr added it
Sep 09, 2015
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Anika
Anika added it
Sep 04, 2015
Vincent Butterfield
Vincent Butterfield marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Chris Mould is the illustrator of Captain Beastlie’s Pirate Party, written by Lucy Coats. Chris went to art school at the age of sixteen. During this time, he did various jobs, from delivering papers to washing-up. He has won the Nottingham Children’s Book Award and been commended for the Sheffield. He loves his work and likes to write and draw the kind of books that he would have liked to have on
More about Chris Mould...

Something Wickedly Weird (6 books)
  • The Wooden Mile (Something Wickedly Weird #1)
  • The Icy Hand (Something Wickedly Weird, #2)
  • The Silver Casket (Something Wickedly Weird, #3)
  • The Darkling Curse (Something Wickedly Weird, #4)
  • The Treasure Keepers (Something Wickedly Weird, #6)