Start by marking “Sun King” as Want to Read:
Sun King

Sun King

Washington Post columnist David Ignatius is one of the most highly regarded writers in the capital, an influential journalist and acclaimed novelist with a keen eye for the subtleties of power and politics. InThe Sun King, Ignatius has written a love story for our time, a spellbinding portrait of the collision of ambition and sexual desire.
Sandy Galvin is a billionaire wi
Published February 1st 2000 by Random House Publishing Group (first published August 24th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Sun King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sun King

Oct 09, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A retelling of The Great Gatsby. A bold task to modernize the greatest American novel, but Ignatius does a nice job. At times his words really touched me. Overall I really enjoyed this book and have even re-read it one or twice -- a rarity for me. Love the DC setting.
Nate Hendrix
Aug 07, 2012 Nate Hendrix rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish it. Something about love and betrayal and buying a newspaper. I read Ignatius for spies and action. Not a fan of this book. I hope his next is more like what he has written in the past.
Cheryl Simmons
I can't say that I liked this book. I found it hard to finish as I didn't like or sympathize with any of the characters. I think the book, in the end, was a love story, but none of the characters actions made much sense.
Every year I participate in an Author A—Z challenge, which means I read 26 books each read by an author whose last name begins with a different letter of the alphabet. (I don't know what I'd do without the wonderful books by Xinran.) The letter "I" can also be a bit tricky, so I headed to my local library to look through the stacks. There, tucked between Ibsen and Iles was Ignatius: The Sun King, a Gatsby-esque novel set in a Washington newspaper. Bingo!
Carl Sandburg "Sandy" Galvin, a self-made
A Great Gatsby rip-off so blatantly obvious that the author even highlights it in the book. This isn't a negative thing, if an author thinks they can "do it better" then more power to them; but I couldn't tell what this author was trying to say that was so much better or more original than what The Great Gatsby was trying to say, other than Washington, D.C. is pretty crazy! terribly interesting! so are Harvard grads! amiright, guys?? And the "female love interest destined to undo the great man ...more
Once I got over the disappointment that this was not another excellent Ignatius spy thriller, I became more and more delighted with the book. It is basically a moment in time in the land of make believe, Washington D.C., a story that humorously and skillfully strips away some of the glitter with which the Capital is frequently portrayed. But this book goes deeper than superficial probing in the hands of the narrator, one David Cantor, who "sings" a poignant story of wealth (and what it can't buy ...more
Sep 25, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book of David Ignatius that I read. It is not in the espionage gengre that his other books are. I read Bloodmoney, his latest book, first and that felt like it was lifted from the news of today.
David works for the Washington Post after writing for the Wall Street Journal.
Back to The Sun King. It was about a man who buys a newspaper in DC and the way he does it, the way he financed it, his total finances and the people he interacts with. There was some intrigue but nothing too
May 17, 2014 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very different Ignatius book, a love story. I loved the beginning, but thought it flagged a bit towards the end. I liked it, though. There seemed to be a lot of good lessons in this one. Glad I read it!
Aug 08, 2014 Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was used to the "spy" type stuff from Ignatius so this book was a real surprise. It's about a man who arrives in Washington, DC, makes a big splash and then crashes financially. It is very well written and I would recommend it.
Oct 12, 2014 Sandi rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, read-2014
A novel of power, money, journalism, and romance set in Washington D.C. during the late nineties. The author usually specializes in spies and thrillers that deal with the the Middle East but this was a nice change of pace and well worth reading.
Mary Ann
I enjoyed the book, gave me a different view of what goes on in Washington besides Politics. Interesting characters and storyline. I look forward to reading more by this author.
Mark Pool
Sep 04, 2015 Mark Pool rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I stopped reading this book. Ignatius is a good writer, but I'm not really interested in the newspaper business.
Ian Robb
This is his non spy novel about a newspaper in Washington DC where he actually works for the Washington Post as a columnist. It was OK, not nearly as good as his spy novels, IMHO.
Vince Carter
Jan 02, 2013 Vince Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stylish "Great Gatsbyish" romantic-themed tale set in DC and centered around a big daily paper--much different from the autor's usual spy fare
Chris rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2010
Jack Kaplan
Jack Kaplan rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Jonathan rated it liked it
May 31, 2010
Phil rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2014
T A rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2015
Helen rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Barry rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2013
Greg Willis
Greg Willis rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Neerav Makwana
Neerav Makwana rated it liked it
May 22, 2016
Jeremy Loy
Jeremy Loy rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Kimberly Laney
Kimberly Laney rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2011
Marty Cerier
Marty Cerier rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Ronnie rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2014
Margaret rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2013
  • Taming Him
  • Hurts So Good
  • The Red Dancer: The Life and Times of Mata Hari
  • Nights in Aruba
  • A Pound of Flesh (Marja Duology, #2)
  • Vampire (Mythe, #2)
  • Shadow Dwellers (Shadow Dweller, #1)
  • Fantasyland
  • Cowboy
  • Bonds of Love (Bay Area Professionals, #2)
  • Mastering Toby (Mastering Toby, #1)
  • Master of Desire (Brides of Caralon, #2)
  • The Painted House
  • Hell On Heels
  • Cheer!: Three Teams on a Quest for College Cheerleading's Ultimate Prize
  • Becoming A Master Student
David Ignatius, a prize-winning columnist for the Washington Post, has been covering the Middle East and the CIA for more than twenty-five years. His novels include Agents of Innocence, Body of Lies, and The Increment, now in development for a major motion picture by Jerry Bruckheimer. He lives in Washington, DC.
More about David Ignatius...