Sen Brunona

Sen Brunona

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  389 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Bruno, starzec przykuty do łóżka przez śmiertelną chorobę, dokonuje ostatecznego rozliczenia ze swoim życiem, swoistego rachunku sumienia. Wokół niego krążą inni bohaterowie, młodsi od niego o dwa pokolenia, romansując, kochając się, nienawidząc, zdradzając. We wspomnieniach Brunona pojawiają się też postaci z przeszłości, równie - jeśli nie bardziej - wyraziste. Bruno prz...more
Published 2002 by Wydawnictwo Literackie (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Sen Brunona, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sen Brunona

Lobstergirl

If your primary emotional reaction to a book is that you find you want to beat the author about the head and neck with a dead possum (wearing elbow length rubber gloves to avoid getting dead possum juice on yourself, while spraying it all over the author), is that a good enough reason to stop reading?

I think Iris Murdoch is just not my kind of author, the way gin and tonics are not my kind of beverage.

Stopping at p. 77, I have the sneaking suspicion that the worst parts of the novel are ahead of...more
Helen Kitson
The dust jacket of my copy of this novel is illustrated with a spider's web. Bruno, a dying man in his eighties, is bedridden and sits in his bed like a grotesque spider in the middle of an intricate web. He is surrounded by books on spiders, and a priceless collection of stamps inherited from his father.

He is cared for by his son-in-law Danby and an enigmatic nurse, Nigel. Danby is sleeping with Adelaide the maid, but Bruno's demand to see his estranged son Miles brings into the story Miles' wi...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in June 2003.

An old man lying on his deathbed, barely understanding what happens around him, may seem an unpromising central character for a novel. It may be that this is part of the reason that Bruno's Dream is not one of Murdoch's best novels, but it is certainly a theme which suited her style, which itself has dreamlike qualities, more than it would that of many writers.

Bruno's concerns are those which might be considered typical of someone in his position...more
Tonymess
Well it was a delight to revel in Iris Murdoch’s writing again, so shortly after finishing “The Nice and the Good”, and what a huge leap was made from reading “A.L. Barker’s “John Brown’s Body”. As soon as I was a couple of pages into this I was hooked. The writing was a breeze to read, the complex characters, their lamentations on love and loss all so familiar to her shortlisted novel of the year before.

The novel opens with Bruno on his death bed, reflecting on his life, the women he loved, his...more
Ginette González
¡Mi primera novela de Murdoch! Sólo había visto la conmovedora película "Iris" con Kate Winslet y Judi Dench pero no había tenido en mis manos un libro de su amplia obra. Intensos y ágiles retratos de los sentimientos y cambios ¿drásticos? de perspectiva y emociones en sus personajes en esta novela. Me queda de este primer acercamiento a Iris Murdoch la certeza de que su arte es complejo y de muchos caminos, por ello me quedo pensando en Bruno, en su relato ensoñador, crudo, brumoso, irreal y mu...more
Bob
The titular Bruno is 90 years old and invalid. The first couple of chapters are from his perspective but thereafter the story mainly follows what he has wrought in the word, descendants and dependants – mainly, children, stepchildren and caretakers. In characteristic Murdochian fashion, they all proceed through a whirlwind of romances, betrayals, breakups and assorted emotional cataclysms, plus a dash of melodrama (a destructive flood this time). The compelling bit of character development is ho...more
Robin Edman
Iris Murdoch writes about these incredibly chatty people in what should be an irritatingly verbose way, but for some reason, in her works, the extra verbiage works. Bruno is old, old, old, but not quite dying, and in his hanging on he brings around him and into contact with each other a variety of people who interact in the most telling ways. All the silly stories that we tell ourselves about ourselves are dissected and revealed by this cutting barrage of talk, talk, talk. And still we don't see...more
Karen
I really liked the structure of this--the way the story unfolded through the alternating characters' points of view. There were lots of plot twists that kept me interested throughout. Murdoch fleshed out the characters enough to keep them from falling into stereotypes. Despite this, their eccentric behavior does give the story a soap opera-feel at times--not my favorite thing. But ultimately, I could see where they were coming from and why they were so messed up. Hadn't read Murdoch before this,...more
Hilary
Not one of my favourite Iris Murdochs, but good for a fix of Murdochian weirdness. Everyone falling in love with people they shouldn't, finding out that others have been in love with them for years unnoticed, malevolent and scary suitors, duels and rival sisters. Water as always, in this case the Thames, threatens to overwhelm everyone, and also has the power to cleanse or wipe the slate clean. All this with a dying man at the centre of it wondering about the meaning of his life as he nears its...more
Rachel
This was my first Murdoch book. I expected it to be rather heavier reading, and if I'm honest a bit dull. It wasn't at all. I liked the humour in the story and the pace. I did feel towards the middle that the characters (bar Bruno) all needed a bit of a slap for being tedious and self-involved, but on the whole enjoyed this novel.

I will definitely look out for more.

Ali
I enjoyed this novel, which I found got increasingly bizarre as it went on, but then I am getting used to that. I will be discussing it further with my fellow murdoch a month participants, although I believe it is to be a Murdoch every other month from now on. There are plenty of typical Murdoch themes here, and some wonderfully strange characters, I really liked poor old Bruno though.Tags:book reviews
Smoothw
I can see why Iris Murdoch was a skilled enough author to publish dozens of books, but this one just irritated me, as it seemed to take an ok premise (really old and dying man looks back over his life and tries to reconcile with his son) and instead fills it with stupid people alternately hooking up with each other and ridiculous incidents that should belong in a magical realist novel if at all.
Recabarren
Gave up. The characters seem somewhat inconsistent and with unrealistic drives and the couples keep changing like in a soap-opera. Their choices simply don't seem credible.

I'm not giving up on Iris Murdoch, though. I enjoyed "Under the Net" a lot; I remember one of the things I liked about it was its humor and fast-pace, none of which "Bruno's Dream" has.
Lucy
A perfect novel - perfect length, no superfluous filler; perfect consistency of tone throughout, with a disarming blend of gentle pathos (though never sentimentality) and rueful humour - one of my favourite Murdochs. The scene with a drunken Danby stranded at night in a sea of suburban gardens was delightful.
Courtney
A fantastic little novel about death, remorse, the loss of love/loved ones, and the human condition. Bruno is a dying man at the center of a variety of complex relationships. One day, Bruno asks to see his estranged son, Miles. This sets off a series of events culminating in a pistol duel and a great flood.
Mady
It tells the story of an old man, Bruno who, while waiting for his death thinks about his life, and also about his family and those who take care of him.
Christopherch
Neither here nor there, didn't quite engage somehow, surprising really, around this time she wrote some wonderful stuff.
Alison
I mostly loved this, but I am a sucker for Murdoch's blend of the sublime and the absurd, the very sad and the very funny.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Incredible writing, amazing insight. Another perfect novel by Iris Murdoch.
Elizabeth Bradley
a little disappointing so far, but i haven't kicked my Murdoch habit yet...
Jennie
My first time reading Iris Murdoch. What should I read next?
Debby
I liked this book. Iris Murdoch tells a good story!
jennifer
The Metamorphosis meets... well, Iris Murdoch. 3 1/2.
Sara
Jul 29, 2011 Sara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
70 shortlisted for booker prize
Ido Hadanny
the only book I read 3 times.
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
  • God on the Rocks
  • Orchard On Fire
  • St. Urbain's Horseman
Dame Jean Iris Murdoch

Irish-born British writer, university lecturer and prolific and highly professional novelist, Iris Murdoch dealt with everyday ethical or moral issues, sometimes in the light of myths. As a writer, she was a perfectionist who did not allow editors to change her text. Murdoch produced 26 novels in 40 years, the last written while she was suffering from Alzheimer disease.

"She w...more
More about Iris Murdoch...
The Sea, the Sea Under the Net The Bell A Severed Head The Black Prince

“Si se entiende por eternidad, no la duración temporal sin fin, sino la ausencia de tiempo, vive eternamente el que vive en el presente.” 5 likes