Start by marking “Star Trek Log One (Star Trek: Logs #1)” as Want to Read:
Star Trek Log One (Star Trek: Logs #1)

Star Trek Log One (Star Trek: Logs #1)

The first in a series of Star Trek: The Animated Series adaptations. Published by Ballantine Books in June 1974. Including adaptations for:

- Beyond The Farthest Star (Kirk's crew come across an ancient derelict vessel, but something is still living inside it.)

- Yesteryear (Spock travels back in time to prevent his own demise during his youth on Vulcan.)

- One Of Our Planets
Published June 12th 1974 by Ballantine Books (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek Log One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek Log One

Mike O'Brien
Aug 06, 2016 Mike O'Brien rated it really liked it
Every few years or so I have a period of Star Trek obsession. This time it was brought on by watching the excellent web series "Star Trek Continues" after I had seen all six episodes, I wanted to read. So I turned to Alan Dean Foster's surprisingly excellent Log series. It is surprisingly excellent because the stories are taken from the 1970s Animated Series of Star Trek. But Foster is a master of retell ing science fiction from television and film. Amongst other things he has produced novelisat ...more
Crystal Bensley
Mar 03, 2016 Crystal Bensley rated it really liked it
Cool collection of TAS stories.
Read Ng
Jul 07, 2016 Read Ng rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction

This is a collection of three story adaptations of episodes from the Star Trek animated series. All of these tales are pretty short reads. I recall seeing these episodes on the air many years ago.

The stories are very true to what you would expect for the time they were written. Stories ran shorter than a regular episode, in keeping with a shorter time slot. Of all the tales, I appreciated yesteryear the most. Who doesn't like a good story centered around Spock and the Guardian of Forever? I woul
Rob
Apr 13, 2009 Rob rated it it was amazing
I don't kow how the 'Dean' did it, but he made these thirty-minute animated scripts every bit as satisfying as James Blish's transformation of the original series.
Stephen Robertson
Jun 07, 2016 Stephen Robertson rated it really liked it
Well written, I read this book the first time over 30 years ago when I was in High School. Better than most of the newer star trek books i've read.
Morbus Iff
Jan 31, 2011 Morbus Iff rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
The Animated Series was a lot better than most would believe.
Jon Mohning
Dec 28, 2014 Jon Mohning rated it really liked it
One of the books I love to re-read!
Tracy Poff
Dec 03, 2015 Tracy Poff rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
After (finally!) finishing the tenth in James Blish's series of adaptations, we come to June 1974, and the publication of Alan Dean Foster's Star Trek Log One . This volume adapts the first three episodes of Star Trek: The Animated Series , "Beyond the Farthest Star", "Yesteryear", and "One of Our Planets Is Missing".

Like Blish's Star Trek series, Foster's Star Trek Log series adapts television episodes. There, though, the similarities end. Blish adapted hour-long episodes into roughly twenty-
Matt
Sep 18, 2013 Matt rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
Star Trek: Log One by Alan Dean Foster features three short stories adapted from "the best episodes" Star Trek: The Animated Series (TAS). The three episodes are in order "Beyond the Farthest Star", "Yesteryear", and "One of Our Planets is Missing" which correspond with the first three episodes of TAS which makes one think they just adapted all the stories of TAS into books to make money, but that is another discussion all together. The three stories are loosing connected as Foster presents them ...more
Dan Quigley
Feb 19, 2015 Dan Quigley rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek-books
This first entry of the Star Trek Log series is based on a 30-minute cartoon show that was broadcast Saturday mornings in the early 1970s. Alan Dean Foster did the novelizations of the shows, three novellas to a Log. The three novellas in this first of the series were three of the better episodes. I therefore rate this book a solid three stars. The stories are well told by Foster. Nevertheless, the plots are derivative of episodes that were in the Original Series, and thus not particularly origi ...more
Baal Of
Jan 09, 2014 Baal Of rated it really liked it
I first read this book sometime in grade school. After that, I collected most of the other Star Trek Logs, but never read them. After carrying them around through college, and then several moves in my adult life, I gradually lost them, mostly through poor storage conditions. Through the great paperbackswap.com site, I've now got the whole series again, and I'm actually going to read them all.
Reading this first volume took me right back to what I loved about the original series, so my 4 stars is
Ronald
Nov 03, 2011 Ronald rated it it was ok
"Star Trek: Log One" is basically just three episodes from the animated series put down on paper, with around 60 pages devoted to each (give or take). Though if you're like me and never watched the cartoon, then it's like a whole new set of adventures for the Enterprise and her crew (and you can imagine it with the real actors in your mind). The writing is pretty good, all things considered (aside from a number of typographical errors that should have been caught prior to publishing). The proble ...more
Newt
Oct 20, 2015 Newt rated it really liked it
Stark Trek: The Animated Series was a hit-or-miss continuation of the Original Series.

But this book takes three unrelated stories and weaves them together in a way that allows the stories to move beyond the limited animation scope of Filmation. Little asides and descriptions allow some truly imaginative ideas to spring forth in a way that Star Trek has not yet accomplished in a visual medium.

Unfortunately, the stories themselves are... okay. But where this book shines is in the little details th
Seth Kenlon
Mar 04, 2014 Seth Kenlon rated it it was amazing
The Animated Series of Star Trek was fantastic, at least storywise. It suffered badly from really poor animation quality (and IMHO poor music) but the stories were there and, hey, it's more Trek stories.

This book takes a few episodes of the animated series and gives them to us back-to-back. Alan Dean Foster strings them together with little touches of continuity that was not in the original series. The stories are mostly good, and Foster's addition to character motivations and what's going on in
Amadeo Donofrio
Nov 08, 2010 Amadeo Donofrio rated it liked it
Light fun read for the Star Trek fan. These stories follow the script of the animated Star Trek series released in the '70's, although they read much better than their low budget animation counterparts. It's fun to see some of the lesser characters develop and play more significant roles, thus reminding you that the entire crew of the Enterprise can be entertaining (ie it's not just the Kirk/Spock/McCoy show).
Rich Meyer
Jul 31, 2013 Rich Meyer rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013
While nowhere near as good as James Blish's Trek adaptations, the tales in this first log do manage to expand a bit on the limited stories of the animated series, though most of the Enterprise crew walks in and out of character as they please. These stories were dated when they were broadcast, much less when they were adapted.
Scott
Feb 28, 2015 Scott rated it liked it
This was my first Star Trek book, also it was at the same time Leonard Nimoy passed away. I thought it was a decent book. This particular book had three short stories in it. I don't know if I'll rush out and get another book since these were written in the 70's. But if I find one at Goodwill or at a yard sale I'd probably pick it up
Don
One of Foster's early writing endeavors. Based on the cartoon Star Trek series and fleshed out further into three enjoyable tales connected in an overall continual time line.

Well worth the read (if a copy can be located).
Charles
Oct 08, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
As a Star Trek Geek, I even enjoyed the episodes from the Cartoon version of Star Trek. I thought the Star Trek Logs in general added some fun dimensions to the stories and readily give most of them pretty good ratings.
Cary Spratt
Jun 28, 2014 Cary Spratt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, star-trek
Sooo much better than James Blish's novelizations of TOS episodes. Alan Dean Foster turns these novelizations of TAS episodes into great short stories. Makes me wish he'd written the others, too.
John
May 12, 2015 John rated it really liked it
I own and have read all ten but have them them grouped in one record in my listing. I started reading them again in 2014.

1976 average grade B

Animated Trek, three stories per book.
ADD
May 15, 2013 ADD rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Good old Star Trek. Just like watching the animated series so long ago. Refreshing, light-hearted change from my usual reading. Enjoyable and quick.
Andrew Babb
Nov 14, 2013 Andrew Babb rated it really liked it
Very interesting adaptation of the animated series. Good variety of stories. I look forward to reading more.
Curtiss
Three episodes from the Animated Star Trek Saturday morning cartoon series have been adapted by Alan Dean Foster in novella form. Nearly the only format available of the Animated Star Trek series.
Chris
May 29, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A surprisingly decent novelization of three Animated Series episodes - from the era when Star Trek novels were written by authors like Foster, Blish and Macintyre.
Joseph
Apr 16, 2016 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
An entertaining collection of stories, marred by a surprising number of typos. It is making me consider tracking down the animated series, though.
Rob Trevino
Feb 17, 2015 Rob Trevino rated it really liked it
This is a nostalgia rating, but I've always had a soft spot for Star Trek TAS and this collection of short stories based on episodes was a great beach read for me.
Vincent Darlage
Aug 06, 2014 Vincent Darlage rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Overall, a good collection of Star Trek sci-fi stories, often with a real sense of jeopardy involved.
L J
L J rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2014
  • Star Trek 8
  • Spock, Messiah! (Star Trek Adventures, #3)
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages, 2 (Star Trek Adventures, #6)
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Enemy Unseen
  • The Final Nexus
  • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #6)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Galactic Whirlpool (Star Trek Adventures, #14)
  • Mudd's Angels (Star Trek Adventures)
  • The Making of Star Trek
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Star Trek: Logs (10 books)
  • Star Trek Log Two (Star Trek: Logs, #2)
  • Star Trek Log Three (Star Trek: Logs, #3)
  • Star Trek Log Four (Star Trek: Logs, #4)
  • Star Trek Log Five (Star Trek: Logs, #5)
  • Star Trek Log Six (Star Trek: Logs, #6)
  • Star Trek Log Seven (Star Trek: Logs, #7)
  • Star Trek Log Eight (Star Trek: Logs, #8)
  • Star Trek Log Nine (Star Trek: Logs, #9)
  • Star Trek Log Ten (Star Trek: Logs, #10)