Start by marking “Ellery's Duty (Thrown to the Lions, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ellery's Duty (Thrown to the Lions, #3)

Ellery's Duty (Thrown to the Lions #3)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  799 ratings  ·  56 reviews
As a well respected dominant, Ellery has been watching the subs from the local leather bars disappear into the lions’ den for far too long, and he’s not convinced that everything is as fine as they all claim it is. He’s determined to find out what really happens in there. If the only way he can do that is to volunteer to be thrown to the lions himself, so be it.

Kefir’s ne
Published October 6th 2010 by Resplendence Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Ellery's Duty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ellery's Duty

With Caution by J.L. LangleyChange of Heart by Mary CalmesWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
96th out of 692 books — 994 voters
Promises by Marie SextonStrawberries for Dessert by Marie SextonFish & Chips by Abigail RouxSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxKeeping Promise Rock by Amy Lane
Best M/M Romance Published in 2010
64th out of 305 books — 511 voters

More lists with this book...

Serena Yates
This third book in the "Thrown to the Lions" series follows the other two in the sense that it is just as interesting and amazing as the first two. The central theme is turned on its head here. So far the shifter partner(s) thought they knew everything and were very surprised when "their" human teaches them otherwise. In this volume, the shifter partner learns to adapt (within reason).

Kefir is a lion who has been present from the first book. He is clearly different from the other lions: he is sm
Tri
As this is the third book in the "Thrown to the Lions" I was hoping to get more information about the werelions as it was given in the previous book, but that did no really happen.

The two characters seemed OK at first, but half way through the book I really started to dislike Ellery as a character. He is too dominant for my tastes when you take into account how naive Kefir is. I especially found the so called introduction into Ellroy´s world not to my liking. Considering he was supposed to be an
Jason Huffman-black
oh god!! Ellery was so sexy and I love little Kefir! :)
Vivian Archer
Upside down cake.

Yep! Just when the world of werelions seemed clear--there's the exception. And quite exceptional is he: Kefir. The sweetest, most adorable and charmingly, not annoyingly, naive creature I've read in a long while. True innocence is like a Holy Grail; it always seems so contrived, but it is the little mannerisms that nail this character. Brava! I usually roll my eyes, but Kefir pulls it off beautifully.

The other half of the equation: Ellery. He needs to do some adjusting and for
Kari Gregg
A sweet BDSM story? Seriously? Yeah. Seriously. Kefir is such a total sweetheart and Ellery so considerate, you can't help but fall in love with these two. Outstanding addition to the Thrown to the Lions series, can't wait for the next one!
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I really enjoyed the first two in this series and really expected to like this one as well. Kefir as a character is beautifully naive, trusting, and so earnest that you just love him. He brings out all your protective instincts and yet his quiet courage shows you that he is much more capable than you think. So he was awesome.

So what' my problem? Ellery. He's not a dominant he's an asshole. An arrogant and conceited prick who did not deserve Kefir's droppings - let alone the werelion himself. A g
Elisa Rolle
In the same universe of the two previous stories, Ellery’s Duty takes a twist: Kefir, the werelion, is not a Dominant in searching of a pet, but he is more a kitten who wants to find his Master and being a lap pet himself (see all the lapping, cuddling and all kitten gestures he has). Kefir has a gentle soul; in lion form he is for sure stronger than any human, but not as strong as other lions. He is small and lithe and he has no mean bone in him. He is clever but sincerely he has not the push t ...more
Lexi Ander
This has to be my favorite book of the series. Very well written. I love sweet Kefir and enjoyed his love affair with Ellery. I love this world were the humans and lions don't quite "get" each other which leaves the potential for misunderstandings. So you are holding your breath about how Kefir is going to handle his first night at the club and he justs looks at Ellery and thinks how wierd Ellery is and tunes Ellery out. I loved it.
Emma Sea
I also think the is the best book of the series. So hot I turned around when I'd finished and read it again. Very mild D/s with a non-human sub who is adorably naive. No startling plot: just two people getting to grips with a cross-species relationship.
Wren
I loved loved Kefir, they way he's described - so serious, and naive, and so naturally submissive. Also really enjoyed Dom Ellery and Alpha Arslan's relationship as they both had to deal with the others need for dominance.
Stephani Hecht
My favorite of the series!
Honey
This isn’t a fast paced story, it relies solely on character development and exploring the introduction of a small were lion into a human dominant’s concept of BDSM, and while the story flowed easily, at times I felt that it dragged a little.

Kefir was a sweetheart; so serious, playful and curious all at the same time. I really enjoyed learning about him. As one of the few submissives in his species, his story definitely deserved to be told and he was a great character. Ellery I wasn’t so sure o
Tam

And so we continue with more lions. Ellery is a local dom who's a bit concerned about all the subs in town being thrown to the lions so he decided to do it to make sure they are okay. He is chosen by Kefir, the smallest lion who knows there is something different about him, but Ellery tells him he'll never be a pet. Knowing that Kefir is "different" than other lions, the pride leader invites Ellery back to witness another person thrown to the lions to see what it's really like. He insta
Jimmy Hanson
Fantastic. ^_^

Kefir has always caught my interest in the two previous novels, and the fact that his match comes in this one just tickled me pink and made my day. The internal battle of Ellery, who is trying to face a night of being submissive when he is, in fact, a stead-fast dominant, is well done and his reasons for doing so, while a bit too chivalrous for some, fits with the person he's shaped to be further in the novel.

Kefir's confusion of things at times seemed as if he was a bit simple-min
Adara
This is my favorite of the series thus far, probably because Kefir is my favorite character, and he's had to overcome more of his 'lion training' to understand and accept what he is. (I think Marrick is my favorite of the human mates thus far, though.) Also, Arslan said something this time that clicked with me and fixed my weirdness with him in the previous book. (I just wish he'd said something similar then.)

Can't wait to read Cameron's Pride when it comes out.
Chris
Very good kinky paranormal m/m romance about a human dominant who allows himself to be "thrown to the lions" because he wants to make sure that the subs who go through the process are treated well. He certainly doesn't expect to meet the innocent and atypical werelion Kefir...
Brenda (b)
Oh I loved, Kefir's story! He was so sweet and Ellery was perfect for him. This one delves a bit more into the D/s than the previous ones did.
Nancy L
Different from the others in the series. Kefir is my favorite character so far. He's so intense but in a good way.
Clover
wonderful story. Kefir is a sweet little kitten and Ellery is just great. ca,'t wait for the next volume !!!
Josie Goodreads
I loved this book, it was really sweet and my favourite so far.
Maya
Sweet kink who would have thunk it??!!
blade
Kefir is darling!
kimosumiko
I almost didn't read this after reading the first book of the series and finding that it fell a bit flat for me. Because of that I was reluctant to read this even though I already loved Kefir from book 1 and decided to skip book 2 altogether. I was worried that in so doing I would miss some key points from the second book's relationship, but it turns out I needn't have worried. I can't quite tell if that's a thing I like about Kim Dare's writing or not, but at least this time it worked to my adv ...more
Mrs Condit & Friends Read Books
Please leave comments on Becky's 4 1/2 sweet pea review of Ellery's Duty at http://mrsconditreadsbooks.com/index....

Ellery was hard again. The knowledge made Kefir purr.

I have enjoyed the Thrown to the Lions series, although I’m late to the party since the books have been out for several years. In the series a shifter lion is partnered/mated with a human.

In Ellery’s Duty it turns out the human is the dominant one of the partnership. Ellery is a human Dom who becomes concerned when it is noticed
Alex
Overall
After reading the the first book in this series, I immediately wanted to know more about Kefir, who was different from the other lions. And while I enjoyed his story, I was in no way enchanted. I think the problem is that I still love Kefir and I didn't really like Ellery much at all. He had his moments, normally when he was cuddling up with Kefir, but anytime he was dealing with anyone aside from Kefir, he came across as an arrogant prick.

Of course, if you like your dom to be an arrogant
Gwengwel
Hum, I am the only one the found bizarre how much short time the sacrifice pass inside the house? What I try to say it's that in the first one, Arslan/Ryland only have time to have sex one time before it's was the time to eat. In the book two, same thing and in this book they didn't had the time to have sex before it's was time to return home...That's not logic, that's only happen like that to serve the book and only with the future mate, when all the other sacrifice seems to pass more time in t ...more
Sandra
First book, Ryland's Sacrifice, was so-so, but I love role reversals so I'm super into the sexy Lion sub!
Georgie
Date Started: 5th July 2012
Date Finished 6th July 2012
Page Length: 127 PDF

Lions are supposed to be masters so imagine Kefir's surprise when he realizes he wants to be a pet and not a master.

I absolutely loved this book,definitely the favourite throughout the whole series so far. Kefir and Ellery's relationship was exactly what you expect it to be when you think about BDSM, I loved how at the beginning Kefir thought Ellery was going to be his pet by about half-way through the book, he realized t
Cynthia
This continuation of the series takes a turn with a submissive werelion who falls for a dominant human. A great role reversal with some interspecies misunderstandings that are resolved for a happy ending.
Bookbee
Kefir was always a favourite character in previous books, so I was very pleased to finally read his story. I still love Kefir but just couldn't warm up to Ellery and that marred my enjoyment of his story. This book was also rife with the terms "the dominant" and "the submissive", which is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Used once or twice and I'm quite clear on the character's roles and using those terms over and over...and over makes me feel more and more distant from the characters and the relations ...more
  • Love Runes (Gods and Chaos, #2)
  • I, Omega
  • Lynx (Northern Shifters, #3)
  • Obedience Training
  • Discipline (Deviations, #3)
  • Savage Awakenings (Lost Shifters, #3)
  • Blacque/Bleu (Arcada #3)
  • With Caution (With or Without, #2)
  • Some Kind of Stranger (Blue Ruin, #1)
  • Concubine
  • Bent (Hammer, #1)
  • A Thread of Deepest Black
  • Touch of a Wolf
Kim is a thirty year old bisexual submissive from Wales (UK). First published in 2008, she has since released almost 100 BDSM erotic romance titles ranging from short stories to full length novels. Having worked with a host of fantastic e-publishers, she has just moved into self publishing.

While she has occasionally ventured towards other pairings, Kim's first love is still, and probably always wi
More about Kim Dare...

Thrown to the Lions (4 books)
  • Ryland's Sacrifice (Thrown to the Lions, #1)
  • Marrick's Promise (Thrown to the Lions, #2)
  • Cameron's Pride (Thrown to the Lions, #4)
Duck! (Avian Shifters, #1) The Mark of an Alpha (Pack Discipline, #1) With a Kiss Ryland's Sacrifice (Thrown to the Lions, #1) Magpie (Avian Shifters, #2)