Start by marking “Tõde ja õigus I” as Want to Read:
Tõde ja õigus I

Tõde ja õigus I (Tõde ja õigus #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,718 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The book series can be seen as a thorough overview of developments of Estonian society from about 1870 to about 1930; it presents an epic panorama of both the rural and urban societies of that era. Tammsaare's primary conception was that under the then-applicable conditions, reaching a harmony of both truth and justice is impossible, and thus, while many characters will se ...more
Published (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about Tõde ja õigus I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tõde ja õigus I

Antonomasia
An everyday story of Estonian country folk: the first part of a semi-autobiographical pentalogy considered one of the greatest literary classics of its homeland, it's about a late nineteenth century farming family and their neighbours over the course of around 25 years and 650 pages. Andres is based on the author's father, and Pearu is the bloke next door: an intermittently sociopathic and litigious feuder and prankster. Pearu is most people's idea of the neighbour from hell – except that in stu ...more
Priit
Feb 24, 2012 Priit rated it liked it
Nagu keegi ütles, raamat sellest, kuidas inimesed lõputu mullassonkimise nüridusest lolliks lähevad. Olustikukirjeldusena ilmselt hea, kooliõpilaste kirjandusvihkajaks tegemiseks suurepärane, muus osas aga liiga aeglane, pikk ja raskemeelne.
Maria
Dec 07, 2015 Maria rated it really liked it
no üllatavalt okei oli. vaert raamat, täis vaert naisi ja vängeid mehi
Madli
Mar 20, 2013 Madli rated it really liked it
As others have already written, it resembles about Estonian life. But it's not all of it.
Pearu doesn't just want to tease Andres for the sake of giving him a hard time. He is bored. He wants to play a game with Andres. Andres though doesn't understand it. For Pearu, life is a game. Andres looks at life in a much serious way. He is always looking for truth and justice. And he is surprised about how truth isn't equal with justice. And the way he realizes it is very sad. As everyone once understan
Matti
Jul 25, 2011 Matti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mahtavaa. Juuri näin raivaajakertomuksia pitää kirjoittaa. On lehmää suossa, on kiusaavaa naapuria, on ojankaivuuta, saadaan lapsia joiden kasvua seurataan, parannetaan maatilaa ja vuodet kuluvat, asiat ja yhteiskunta muuttuvat. Kirjaa on syystäkin verrattu Täällä Pohjantähden alla -trilogiaan. Samaa henkeä, periksiantamattomuutta ja toiveiden täyttymättä jäämistä löytyy molemmista kirjoista. Toki on myös ilon hetkiä, onnistumisia ja kepeää juhlimista. A.H. Tammsaaren lapsikuvaukset eivät saavut ...more
Siim
Sep 17, 2012 Siim rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Estonians who aren't terrified of books
Shelves: 2012

The book was interesting. I wasn't expecting it to be enjoyable, due to everyone who's had to read it complaining about it. But some had said that it was difficult but interesting, if only you managed to focus. So I went in with that mindset and wasn't really disappointed.

I was slightly put off by the fact that the book didn't have a real clear buildup-climax-resolution mechanic, instead it was more like a collection of stories in chronological order. Which, actually, isn't that bad. If you th

Piruvi
Apr 11, 2012 Piruvi rated it did not like it
It is a book that describes quite good the Estonian society. Mostly that everybody wants to be better than their neighbour. I didn't like it because it is full negativity, but it opened up my eyes to look more carefully what is going on around us. Once I talked with my Estonian language teacher about the book and shared the feeling with her, that the older I get the more I realize how true the book is (and that is sad). She said that very few people realize that.
I would also say that is quite b
Haute Culture Books
Jul 03, 2013 Haute Culture Books rated it it was amazing

We are happy to tell you that we are going to translate Truth and Justice by Tammsaare in English. But we need your help to complete this project ! Would you like to be a Book Angel ?

Kristiine
Mar 30, 2012 Kristiine rated it really liked it
Well... I read through the conclusion and it was pretty intersting and 25 pages long. But now I have to read the whole book. I know the storyline and I liked it but I just cann't read all the description and stuff... it's a death of me!
Mariliis Tüvi
Feb 03, 2017 Mariliis Tüvi rated it liked it
Eesti kirjanik ja semiootik Valdur Mikita on iseloomustanud eestlaste ja "Tõe ja õiguse" kui eestluse ühe tüviteksti suhet järgnevalt: "Rahvas, kelle kõige kuulsam kirjandusteos on viieköiteline sookuivendamise käsiraamat, ei saa olla normaalne – ja ei peagi. Võimalik, et meil on ilmaruumis hoopis üks teine asi ajada."
Ave Liis
Jan 08, 2017 Ave Liis rated it liked it
3.5
Monika Forest
Jan 21, 2016 Monika Forest rated it did not like it
Marju Sepp
Mar 10, 2014 Marju Sepp rated it it was ok
Shelves: ammu-loetud
Siit siis minu lühikokkuvõte kogu tõe ja õiguse viiest osast.
Taluperemees Andres tapab tööga ära oma noore ja kauni naise Krõõda. Siis lööb sulaselt üle tema naise Mari. Selle peale poob Mari mees Juss end kase otsa üles. Mari ja Andrese suhtest sünnib memmepoeg Indrek, kes nooruki eas armub tema seisusele mittevastavasse ja vanemasse sakslannasse. Hiljem abiellub Indrek Kariniga, kes depressioonis jookseb trammi ette.
Kus on tõde, kus on õigus? Kus on töö ja kus on armastus?
Hanna H
Aug 29, 2014 Hanna H rated it liked it
Finally finished it, read it due to my literature class. Well, it had so much description sometimes that I was just like ugh, but the story of the characters were interesting. Also I know that it talked about life in Estonia at 19 century, well I'm not that sure about the century, but it aways talked about their jobs such as building fences and stuff and it was really boring.
Janeli
Jan 08, 2011 Janeli rated it liked it
It's a typical book about life in Estonia. I read it through, but it took quite a lot time, because in my opinion it was quite boring. There wasn't much of a storyline either. ''Tõde ja õigus'' is one of the most popular Estonian books, but I personally don't see myself reading the next books in this series.
Annika
Jul 18, 2015 Annika rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this book, it's suprisingly interesting and easy to read. I had to read it during literature class like many other estonians and so taught it will be the same old boring, but no. I really really liked it. Want to read the rest of the series.
Charlie
Dec 22, 2014 Charlie rated it it was amazing
I just re-read my notes and discovered that this book is genius. Tammsaare's novel was, for me, one of the best examples of how a book can reveal my own stupidity and blow the dust off my gray brains.
Kaire Rosin-Black
Sep 16, 2013 Kaire Rosin-Black rated it it was amazing
Totally awesome. I've never before or since come across a book that so well describes and gets under a skin of a nation
Marisa
Feb 28, 2016 Marisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, so beautiful and heartbreaking. I only hope I live long enough to see the others translated into English.
Mirelle
* first read 2014 March 1-3
* second read 2016 November 1-13
Allar Saarnak
Jul 13, 2013 Allar Saarnak rated it it was amazing
Huvitav elu. Mõtteid raamatust jagus.
Oliver
Mar 01, 2012 Oliver rated it really liked it
Egertum
Egertum rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2015
kookos
kookos rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2014
Sille
Sille rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2011
Laura Meelind
Laura Meelind rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2013
Raigo Loide
Raigo Loide rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Eva-Marie
Eva-Marie rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2016
Grete
Grete rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Tairi
Tairi rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2015
  • Kadri
  • Pisuhänd
  • Mina olin siin. Esimene arest
  • Kunksmoor. Kunksmoor ja Kapten Trumm
  • Minu Ameerika. Reportaaže ja pihtimusi 2003-2006 (Minu..., # 1).
  • Apothecary Melchior and the Mystery of St Olaf's Church
A. H. Tammsaare, born Anton Hansen, was an Estonian writer whose pentalogy Truth and Justice (Tõde ja õigus; 1926–1933) is considered one of the major works of Estonian literature and "The Estonian Novel".
More about A.H. Tammsaare...

Tõde ja õigus (5 books)