Start by marking “Tõde ja õigus I” as Want to Read:
Tõde ja õigus I

Tõde ja õigus I (Tõde ja õigus #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  1,328 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The book series can be seen as a thorough overview of developments of Estonian society from about 1870 to about 1930; it presents an epic panorama of both the rural and urban societies of that era. Tammsaare's primary conception was that under the then-applicable conditions, reaching a harmony of both truth and justice is impossible, and thus, while many characters will se ...more
Published (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about Tõde ja õigus I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tõde ja õigus I

Priit
Nagu keegi ütles, raamat sellest, kuidas inimesed lõputu mullassonkimise nüridusest lolliks lähevad. Olustikukirjeldusena ilmselt hea, kooliõpilaste kirjandusvihkajaks tegemiseks suurepärane, muus osas aga liiga aeglane, pikk ja raskemeelne.
Matti
Mahtavaa. Juuri näin raivaajakertomuksia pitää kirjoittaa. On lehmää suossa, on kiusaavaa naapuria, on ojankaivuuta, saadaan lapsia joiden kasvua seurataan, parannetaan maatilaa ja vuodet kuluvat, asiat ja yhteiskunta muuttuvat. Kirjaa on syystäkin verrattu Täällä Pohjantähden alla -trilogiaan. Samaa henkeä, periksiantamattomuutta ja toiveiden täyttymättä jäämistä löytyy molemmista kirjoista. Toki on myös ilon hetkiä, onnistumisia ja kepeää juhlimista. A.H. Tammsaaren lapsikuvaukset eivät saavut ...more
Madli
As others have already written, it resembles about Estonian life. But it's not all of it.
Pearu doesn't just want to tease Andres for the sake of giving him a hard time. He is bored. He wants to play a game with Andres. Andres though doesn't understand it. For Pearu, life is a game. Andres looks at life in a much serious way. He is always looking for truth and justice. And he is surprised about how truth isn't equal with justice. And the way he realizes it is very sad. As everyone once understan
Siim
Oct 12, 2012 Siim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Estonians who aren't terrified of books
Shelves: 2012

The book was interesting. I wasn't expecting it to be enjoyable, due to everyone who's had to read it complaining about it. But some had said that it was difficult but interesting, if only you managed to focus. So I went in with that mindset and wasn't really disappointed.

I was slightly put off by the fact that the book didn't have a real clear buildup-climax-resolution mechanic, instead it was more like a collection of stories in chronological order. Which, actually, isn't that bad. If you th

Piruvi
It is a book that describes quite good the Estonian society. Mostly that everybody wants to be better than their neighbour. I didn't like it because it is full negativity, but it opened up my eyes to look more carefully what is going on around us. Once I talked with my Estonian language teacher about the book and shared the feeling with her, that the older I get the more I realize how true the book is (and that is sad). She said that very few people realize that.
I would also say that is quite b
Kristiine
Well... I read through the conclusion and it was pretty intersting and 25 pages long. But now I have to read the whole book. I know the storyline and I liked it but I just cann't read all the description and stuff... it's a death of me!
Haute Culture Books

We are happy to tell you that we are going to translate Truth and Justice by Tammsaare in English. But we need your help to complete this project ! Would you like to be a Book Angel ?

Antonomasia
DRAFT

An everyday story of Estonian country folk: the first part of a semi-autobiographical pentalogy that's a major classic in its homeland, it's about a late nineteenth century farming family and their neighbours, over the course of around 25 years and 650 pages. Andres is based on the author's father, and Pearu is the bloke next door: feuder, prankster, intermittently sociopathic. Indrek, who represents Anton Tammsaare himself, isn't born until nearly page 300, and is a relatively minor charac
Marju Sepp
Siit siis minu lühikokkuvõte kogu tõe ja õiguse viiest osast.
Taluperemees Andres tapab tööga ära oma noore ja kauni naise Krõõda. Siis lööb sulaselt üle tema naise Mari. Selle peale poob Mari mees Juss end kase otsa üles. Mari ja Andrese suhtest sünnib memmepoeg Indrek, kes nooruki eas armub tema seisusele mittevastavasse ja vanemasse sakslannasse. Hiljem abiellub Indrek Kariniga, kes depressioonis jookseb trammi ette.
Kus on tõde, kus on õigus? Kus on töö ja kus on armastus?
Annika
I quite enjoyed this book, it's suprisingly interesting and easy to read. I had to read it during literature class like many other estonians and so taught it will be the same old boring, but no. I really really liked it. Want to read the rest of the series.
Hanna H
Finally finished it, read it due to my literature class. Well, it had so much description sometimes that I was just like ugh, but the story of the characters were interesting. Also I know that it talked about life in Estonia at 19 century, well I'm not that sure about the century, but it aways talked about their jobs such as building fences and stuff and it was really boring.
Kaari Uninvited
VICTORY IS MINE 12:40
Janeli
It's a typical book about life in Estonia. I read it through, but it took quite a lot time, because in my opinion it was quite boring. There wasn't much of a storyline either. ''Tõde ja õigus'' is one of the most popular Estonian books, but I personally don't see myself reading the next books in this series.
Kaire Rosin-Black
Totally awesome. I've never before or since come across a book that so well describes and gets under a skin of a nation
Allar Saarnak
Huvitav elu. Mõtteid raamatust jagus.
Ilmar
Ilmar added it
Aug 30, 2015
Jan Erik
Jan Erik marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
  • Pisuhänd
  • Lingvistiline mets
  • Kunksmoor. Kunksmoor ja Kapten Trumm
  • Apteeker Melchior ja Oleviste mõistatus
A. H. Tammsaare, born Anton Hansen, was an Estonian writer whose pentalogy Truth and Justice (Tõde ja õigus; 1926–1933) is considered one of the major works of Estonian literature and "The Estonian Novel".
More about A.H. Tammsaare...

Tõde ja õigus (5 books)
  • Tõde ja õigus II
  • Tõde ja õigus III
  • Tõde ja õigus IV
  • Tõde ja õigus V
Kõrboja peremees Tõde ja õigus II Põrgupõhja uus Vanapagan Tõde ja õigus V Tõde ja õigus IV