Start by marking “Selected Poems, 1923 1958” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems, 1923 1958

Selected Poems, 1923 1958

Paperback
Published December 31st 1960 (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, 1923 1958, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems, 1923 1958

Mary
Jul 20, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I am not much of a reader of poetry and even with e.e.Cummings that is true. BUT, even if you do not like entire poems--he has lines that stand out , shine and make you smile. This is one of those poetry books that I have lying around to read when I have just a short time. The special (to me) lines that can be full of satire, sometimes serious and very humorous is why I rated it 4 stars.
BrokenTune
Oct 03, 2015 BrokenTune rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
review to follow
Rachel Louise Atkin
One of my favourite poets to read. His work is heavily inspired by the DADA movement and the surrealists, and his writing about love and it's connection to spring and nature is very enlightening.
Emily
Nov 17, 2007 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites:

in time of daffodils(who know
the goal of living is to grow)
forgetting why,remember how

in time of lilacs who proclaim
the aim of waking is to dream,
remember so(forgetting seem)

in time of roses(who amaze
our now and here with paradise)
forgetting if,remember yes

in time of all sweet things beyond
whatever mind may comprehend,
remember seek(forgetting find)

and in a mystery to be
(when time from time shall set us free)
forgetting me,remember me
Daisy Douglas
Aug 02, 2014 Daisy Douglas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favourite books. Ever. e e cummings is my favourite poet because of the way he can just express normal things with such originality. It's his short phrases like "hips pumping pleasure into hips" and "you open always petal by petal myself" that do it for me everytime. I love the way he neglects to use titles for his poems and I love the sensuality that he embodies for me.

What I love most about this collection of poems selected by e e cummings himself is the wide variety and the
Ned Gill
Feb 05, 2016 Ned Gill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
A very enjoyable collection. Slightly hindered in enjoyment by Cummings' allergy to any punctuation or many titles. So not for the casual reader for sure. Personally felt that Cummings was more comfortable in the poems centred around love but most were lovely.
Personal favourites in collection:
- The greatest advantage of being alive
- No time ago
- Now all the fingers of this tree (darling) have
- In time of daffodils (who know
- Stand with your lover on the ending earth
- unlove's the heaven les
Danya Raquel
May 18, 2017 Danya Raquel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays-and-poetry
ee cumings is a true wordsmith. He has an indescribable ability to take a mundane collection of words and with them, create experiences on would not think possible to put to words.
Tiffa
Oct 18, 2013 Tiffa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my book one of the best poets (alongside Poe and Blake) ... refreshing use of style in poetry :) And well some of it actually quite sensual (to say it with a proper word) not therefore in an (too) obvious way but without making a 'scene' about it (it doesn't need to be said literally). Besides his more sensual poetry, his lyrical style, which is frequently used since the Romanticism, is why his poems can be read so fluently
Definitely going to read it again (and pay closer attention to some p
Mike Jart
Jan 27, 2014 Mike Jart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very much hit-and-miss. Contained some of my least favourite poems of all time, but also a whole lot more of poems that are gonna stick with me probably for the rest of my life. There's some real hardcore genius in here, if you can wade through the mediocore majority. Favourites: O Sweet Spontaneous, Voices to Voices, Lip to Lip, Since feeling is first, you shall above all things be glad and young and No man, if men are gods; but if gods must.
Niina
Couldn't stop reading until I was done, and most of the poems weren't too easy either. It was a harsh yet amazingly beautiful, rhyming ride. This collection included some texts I had run into previously elsewhere, which made the whole experience feel homey - easy to detect, the most familiar poems are my favourites, but I discovered quite a number of others that worked for me very well.
Ellen
Jun 12, 2015 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Didn't enjoy as much as 73 Poems... these seemed more structured, less free in form, and didn't have the same effect on me. But I liked the poem starting 'all nearness pauses, while a star can grow'; it is really beautiful and visual and echoes the tone of his work that i've read before.
Ali Rowan
There were some poems that I really liked, some that I thought were okay, and lots that flew right over my head. This one is three stars for now, but like me and most poetry, I feel like I owe it a second read, so this may be adjusted at a later date.
Marie-Louise
I enjoyed this collection of poetry. If was fine but I found there were only three or four of bunch which really left an impression on me. I'm still exploring my interest in poetry and e e Cummings certainly is a treat. I especially love 'may I feel said he' & 'I carry your heart'.
Mario Perron
Jan 24, 2016 Mario Perron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could, I would add more stars to this rating. More than any other poet, Cummings gave me a greater understanding of Jazz. By this I mean he taught me how much can be unwritten between the lines.
Enjoy...
M.
Mugren Al-Ohaly
May 17, 2013 Mugren Al-Ohaly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I only wish that the titles were added, or at least clearly mark where one poem started and ended. They all seem to blend into one another.
John
Jul 08, 2015 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scanned-books
I'll probably have to come back to this to make sense of most of it.
Sam Pryce
Nov 02, 2014 Sam Pryce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quiet, modest poetry for fragile hearts.
Lori Fritz
Oct 23, 2014 Lori Fritz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it's not the first time or the last time I will read this book !
Lily Calder
Oct 30, 2014 Lily Calder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, owned
Amazing, captivating, ingenious. Full review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqkwP...
Minnie
May 04, 2008 Minnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am deeply deeply envious of e e cummings. So much talent, sigh!
Clare Holman-Hobbs
ee cummings is a great poet. The classics are great, but too much talk about Spring.
Felix Thompson
I really liked e.e. cummings - there's just a lot of poems in this collection that I don't like as much. Though there are still some ones I really enjoyed regardless.
Tara Calaby
Mar 02, 2009 Tara Calaby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, own
A wonderful selection from my favourite poet.
Sridhar
Dec 11, 2013 Sridhar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, read2013
Beautiful to bizarre, obscure to ornery, and endlessly inventive poetry.
May
Aug 15, 2015 May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review is up on the blog:
Simon Farrow
Jan 02, 2016 Simon Farrow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is some beautiful poetry contained in this book.
Jessica Baker
Jessica Baker rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Bob
Bob rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Lynda
Lynda rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2009
  • District and Circle
  • Complete Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • The Collected Poems, 1952-1990
  • Poems of Christina Rossetti
  • Wunderkind
  • Crow: From the Life and Songs of the Crow (Faber Library)
  • Best-Loved Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • Sanovat sitä rakkaudeksi
  • Collected Poems
  • Zen Poems
Edward Estlin Cummings was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on October 14, 1894. He began writing poems as early as 1904 and studied Latin and Greek at the Cambridge Latin High School.

He received his BA in 1915 and his MA in 1916, both from Harvard University. His studies there introduced him to the poetry of avant-garde writers, such as Gertrude Stein and Ezra Pound.

In 1917, Cummings published a
More about E.E. Cummings...