Start by marking “Selected Poems, 1923 1958” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems, 1923 1958

Selected Poems, 1923 1958

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  545 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Paperback
Published December 31st 1960 (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, 1923 1958, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems, 1923 1958

and spring
and love
in spring
Mary
I am not much of a reader of poetry and even with e.e.Cummings that is true. BUT, even if you do not like entire poems--he has lines that stand out , shine and make you smile. This is one of those poetry books that I have lying around to read when I have just a short time. The special (to me) lines that can be full of satire, sometimes serious and very humorous is why I rated it 4 stars.
Emily
One of my favorites:

in time of daffodils(who know
the goal of living is to grow)
forgetting why,remember how

in time of lilacs who proclaim
the aim of waking is to dream,
remember so(forgetting seem)

in time of roses(who amaze
our now and here with paradise)
forgetting if,remember yes

in time of all sweet things beyond
whatever mind may comprehend,
remember seek(forgetting find)

and in a mystery to be
(when time from time shall set us free)
forgetting me,remember me
Daisy Douglas
This is one of my favourite books. Ever. e e cummings is my favourite poet because of the way he can just express normal things with such originality. It's his short phrases like "hips pumping pleasure into hips" and "you open always petal by petal myself" that do it for me everytime. I love the way he neglects to use titles for his poems and I love the sensuality that he embodies for me.

What I love most about this collection of poems selected by e e cummings himself is the wide variety and the
Mike Jart
Very much hit-and-miss. Contained some of my least favourite poems of all time, but also a whole lot more of poems that are gonna stick with me probably for the rest of my life. There's some real hardcore genius in here, if you can wade through the mediocore majority. Favourites: O Sweet Spontaneous, Voices to Voices, Lip to Lip, Since feeling is first, you shall above all things be glad and young and No man, if men are gods; but if gods must.
Marie-Louise
I enjoyed this collection of poetry. If was fine but I found there were only three or four of bunch which really left an impression on me. I'm still exploring my interest in poetry and e e Cummings certainly is a treat. I especially love 'may I feel said he' & 'I carry your heart'.
Felix Thompson
I really liked e.e. cummings - there's just a lot of poems in this collection that I don't like as much. Though there are still some ones I really enjoyed regardless.
Sam Pryce
Quiet, modest poetry for fragile hearts.
Tiffa
In my book one of the best poets (alongside Poe and Blake) ... refreshing use of style in poetry :) And well some of it actually quite sensual (to say it with a proper word) not therefore in an (too) obvious way but without making a 'scene' about it (it doesn't need to be said literally). Besides his more sensual poetry, his lyrical style, which is frequently used since the Romanticism, is why his poems can be read so fluently
Definitely going to read it again (and pay closer attention to some p
Lily Calder
Amazing, captivating, ingenious. Full review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqkwP...
Niina
Couldn't stop reading until I was done, and most of the poems weren't too easy either. It was a harsh yet amazingly beautiful, rhyming ride. This collection included some texts I had run into previously elsewhere, which made the whole experience feel homey - easy to detect, the most familiar poems are my favourites, but I discovered quite a number of others that worked for me very well.
Jo Hamya
Oh, but for the occasional rhyming and nonsense. For every four gems in here, there's a stinker. But Cummings handles language gloriously, twisting it to mirror his meaning and for that he deserves loud and splendorous applause.
Mugren Ohaly
I only wish that the titles were added, or at least clearly mark where one poem started and ended. They all seem to blend into one another.
Clare Holman-Hobbs
ee cummings is a great poet. The classics are great, but too much talk about Spring.
Guy Cranswick
Had this for years and read it every once in a while. Some of it is breathtaking.
Sridhar
Beautiful to bizarre, obscure to ornery, and endlessly inventive poetry.
Lori Fritz
it's not the first time or the last time I will read this book !
Minnie
I am deeply deeply envious of e e cummings. So much talent, sigh!
Niels
because e e cummings always makes me smile
Tara Calaby
A wonderful selection from my favourite poet.
Nathan
"let's touch the sky."
Deanna M
Deanna M marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Amanda
Amanda is currently reading it
May 19, 2015
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
  • Selected Poems
  • Collected Poems, 1934-1953
  • District and Circle
  • Wunderkind
  • Crow: From the Life and Songs of the Crow (Faber Library)
  • The Bees
  • Howl, Kaddish and Other Poems
  • Best-Loved Poems
  • Complete Poems
  • Being Alive
  • Poems of Christina Rossetti
  • The Metaphysical Poets (Penguin Classics)
  • Selected Poems and Three Plays
  • Collected Poems
  • The Waste Land and Other Writings
  • Selected Poems
  • Robert Frost: Selected Poems (Featuring the Full Contents of Robert Frost's First Three Volumes of Poetry)
Edward Estlin Cummings was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on October 14, 1894. He began writing poems as early as 1904 and studied Latin and Greek at the Cambridge Latin High School.

He received his BA in 1915 and his MA in 1916, both from Harvard University. His studies there introduced him to the poetry of avant-garde writers, such as Gertrude Stein and Ezra Pound.

In 1917, Cummings published a
More about E.E. Cummings...
100 Selected Poems Complete Poems, 1904-1962 Selected Poems 95 Poems Tulips and Chimneys