Start by marking “The Wizard Lord (The Annals of the Chosen, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wizard Lord (The Annals of the Chosen, #1)

The Wizard Lord (The Annals of the Chosen #1)

The Wizard Lord's duty is to keep the world in its delicate balance. He must govern lightly to protect his domain from power-hungry interlopers, such as certain wizards who previously fought to rule the world…But if the Wizard Lord himself strays from the way of the just, then it is up to the Chosen to intercede.

The Chosen ones are the Leader, the Seer, the Swordsman, the
Published April 1st 2007 by Tor Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Wizard Lord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wizard Lord

David(LA,CA)
Feb 18, 2012 David(LA,CA) rated it it was ok
The story of an epic adventure... without much in the way of adventure. The main character himself points out on a few occasions that the journey our heroes are on isn't like the tales told of the grand adventures of the previous time when the worlds chosen heroes were gathered to fight a mad wizard lord.

In fact, let me see if I can sum up the cycle of the story's plot:

The Chosen: We're walking. We're walking. Stay together people.
*Evil magic is encountered*
The Chosen: This shouldn't be. This m
Megan Reber
Mar 16, 2016 Megan Reber rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh
A really good premise that was sadly bogged down with a lot of repetitive dialogue, much in the way of walking, and nothing really happening. Gathering the 8 chosen happens and talk of taking out the "mad" wizard lord, but nothing really in the way of action. If you enjoy lots of walking and talking about doing things, but not actually doing them (in book one. I realize there are two other books in the series), then this book is right up your alley. I recommend it for Lord of the Ring fans. You ...more
Abraham Isgur
Nov 14, 2014 Abraham Isgur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is a VERY DEPRESSING deconstruction of the "chosen one(s)" trope common in fantasy literature. It's well-written, inventive, and very different from most fantasy out there.
Peter
Apr 17, 2008 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Rebecca
Nov 13, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, sword and sorcery buffs,
This is probably one of my favorite books in terms of deconstructing the fantasy trope of prophecies and chosen ones and those RPG-esque teams of adventurers with very specialized roles.

Here, this magical world is so strangled by the red tape put in place by the wizards and their magically picked Wizard Lords that the heroes are basically "chosen" by committee and have magical ler that give them their specialized abilities, and we watch the journey of a newly appointed Chosen as he learns just
Kay
Sep 20, 2015 Kay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I wouldn't
I got The Wizard Lord as a gift after buying the third book in the series, The Summer Palace, at a small, used book store. It seemed interesting, so I bought it, knowing it was the third installment because things just don't stick around in used book stores, you know? I had pretty high expectations for the first book since it appeared to be hinging on a very big premise and an epic adventure. Alas, after turning the final page...well, I wasn't impressed.

It saddened me how little the story offere
Niki Hawkes  - The Obsessive Bookseller
Via The Obsessive Bookseller at www.nikihawkes.com

As the writer of my all time favorite Dragon series, The Obsidian Chronicles, Lawrence Watt-Evans had never failed to entertain me in the half a dozen books I’ve read from him so far. In fact, I liked him so much that I immediately went out and purchased every book he had on the market at the time – an impulse I have not yet regretted…Until now.

I have to say, for such a fantastic idea for a book, this one took a lot of time to get going. A hundre
Whitney St-Marseille
Watt-Evans' "The Wizard Lord" is a book I happen to pick up at random at my local library. Again, it was mistakenly shelved in the adult section, but it is actually a young adult book. With that said, I thought it was great. The funny part is, I can't exactly describe why. Something made it hard for me to put down.

I liked the concept of the eight talismans of The Chosen: The Beauty, Swordsman, Scholar, Leader, Speaker, Archer, Seer, and Thief. The idea is that these eight exceptional people keep
Robert Rapplean
This book is probably the most realistic example of how people would behave in a magical realm. Unfortunately, that makes for very unrewarding escapist reading. Although it is overall a well written and interesting piece, it is also studiously uninspiring. This world is full of characters who are completely absorbed by self-interest. The main character trudges along doing the thankless job of being a hero with a band of "Chosen" who accepted a ceremonial job because it supposedly provided some f ...more
K. Axel
Aug 29, 2008 K. Axel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of watt-evans, robin hobb and bruce fergusson
First of...
This book is about a young man named Breaker, who finds himself training to become one of the Chosen, the Swordsman, in fact. He wants to take on this important role, but finds it a difficult task, that he is constantly doubting. The Chosen, by the way, are those who keep the realm of Barokan safe from mad wizards gone rogue. Their's is a very important task, and the Council of Immortals give them magcal powers to fulfill it, making them the absolute best in their field of expertise.
Robert Aldrich
Sep 10, 2013 Robert Aldrich rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I HATE THIS BOOK.

Honestly, I have never before stated a thing like that, but it is true. There is NOTHING good that I have to day about this

If I could give a negative rating, I would, but one is the lowest I can give.

I could spout venom about this books for quite a while, but I have better things to do...like try and get back the hours I spent reading it--all of it--only to get the end and feel cheated and hateful.

So that's all I have to say...aside from the fact that if I had a copy of this b
Riteandritual
Got this from the dollar store - and was very pleasantly surprised. Not only that, but I picked it mostly for the cover.
Struck me as an interesting world with an unusual theme (read the book-liner, I was like "huh?"), and a refreshingly sober, no-nonsense protagonist; clearly, simply envisioned. Although it was kinda slowish starting, it keeps you hooked enough to keep turning pages till the end. Disappointed that it isn't a 9 book series, like you'd figure from the intro, I still want to read
Infromsea
Jul 21, 2007 Infromsea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Light Fantasy Readers
Shelves: fantasy
A wonderful idea, I really liked the setup to this story, the plot was too thin though.

There are 8 “Chosen” who are supposed to keep the “Wizard Lord” in check, each with special powers that are tied to the Wizard Lord via talismans. The setup is nice, the world is described well, though not in much detail, but the plot is too simplistic and transparent. The story flows well but the end is highly obvious, maybe a little too much foreshadowing is used here.

I like the story, a quick, simple read
Hayden
Jul 18, 2012 Hayden rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Is it a classic that holds up to HG Wells or Ray Bradbury? Hardly, but it is a good read for fellow fantasy lovers. The plot is well thought out, and the characters are engaging. The story itself moves at a somewhat drawn out pace. I felt the author could have shaved off about twenty pages of writing. Although, perhaps with better use of language (the book did lack a certain creativity in its sentence structures) the book would not have seemed overly long. I wouldn't place it in my "to read aga
Jeffrey
Feb 09, 2009 Jeffrey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, sports
OK, so as this is a Lawrence Watt-Evans book I had fairly high expectations, cause I have loved all of his other books, but I gotta tell you, this one fell way below his level of writing. It was very choppy, and the characters didn't act like I would have expected them to, but not in a natural way either. It just didn't make sense some of the stuff they said and did.

Overall, disappointed. Not sure if I will read the rest in the series or not.
Erich
Dec 21, 2016 Erich rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
I really disliked this book.

It started off with a strong premise, but failed to deliver on any of it. The characters were extremely thin, the dialog was awful, and many of the plot points were parroted from many other much better fantasy series, from the Hobbit to the Wheel of Time, to the Shannara books.

There were several times I just wanted to put the book down and never open its cover again, but I willed myself to finish it. Hopefully other entries in this series are better.
Brandon
May 11, 2012 Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decient book, I like the idea the author put forth here. Threre are eight chosen heros to be summoned when the ruler of the land goes bad, who happens to be an all powerful wizard. A little slow in some parts but all ans all a food book. I've purchased the next book Of the series and normally don't unless I thoroughly enjoyed the story.
Craig
Jun 04, 2007 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The plotting isn't great and the characters are fairly wooden, but I found the world-building made this one worth 3 stars. Although the spirits resembling Shinto kami are not the focus of the book, they are pervasive and integral to the working of this world. Wish the author would have done more with the premise - maybe he will in later volumes.
Kevin Driskill
Lawrence Watt-Evans never disappoints. This is a great story with wild creativity and lots of fun. There is a real-life quality to his characters that brings the reader into the story in a personal and refreshing way. What would it be like to be a sword-wielding, magically-enhanced, superhero, guardian? It is a lot of fun to see it from the inside.
Keidi02
Apr 28, 2008 Keidi02 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone/ UA 15 up as well
Recommended to Keidi02 by: the bookshelf
this filled my requirement for Fantasy/adventure for the month, it wasn't the best of its genre that I have read but it wasn't boring and it was quick and clean.
I liked, I'm most likely read # 2 in the series.
Kevin Tucker
Dec 01, 2007 Kevin Tucker rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Shelves: fantasy
Interesting idea. Interesting world these characters live in. Good enough writing that I wanted to read the rest of the books, unfortunately, the 3rd book of this trilogy isn't out yet. I like other books by this author better.

Rather intellectual rather than action packed.
Mike
Apr 21, 2008 Mike marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I will start reading this tonight probably(4-21-08) and I got it because I say the second book at the library and thought that it sounded really good but it was the second book of a series so I had to find the first book before reading it. Hopefully I like it.
Darren
Jul 03, 2014 Darren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It seems a lot of people found it annoying that the characters in the book seemed like ordinary people and reacted as such. Personally I found this to be a very refreshing way to tell the story. I very much enjoyed the story and am looking forward to continuing it.
Matthew
Apr 02, 2014 Matthew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's interesting that an author was just as good in the eighties as today. But is it more telling that the stories are just as bland? Seems to be a writer who likes to expand upon a simple thread for the course of a whole book. Not terrible, but forgettable.
Apple Mottram
This book has been lingering on my thoughts forever and I just rediscovered it.

I really enjoyed the premise, but I really cannot remember any of it, and I'm 90% sure that I think it'll be atrocious if I read it now.
Melinda Weprin
Jan 28, 2015 Melinda Weprin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very little build up, no climax, felt like I was being told a bedtime story by a really bored parent
BQ
Feb 16, 2013 BQ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: average-to-good
An ok book.
Bob
Mar 28, 2011 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a good Evans book. The 3 books have an interesting magic background that provoke some interesting ideas.
Booknerd Fraser
Did not like the "farmboy saves the world" aspect of the story, or the way the world was put together.
Jan
Feb 01, 2010 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eight chosen to keep magic in check. What happens when the balance of power is seriously disturbed.
  • The Ancient (Corona: Saga of the First King, #2)
  • Voyage of the Fox Rider (Mithgar, #2)
  • Soarer's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #6)
  • The Diamond Isle (Dreamtime, #3)
  • Faragon Fairingay (Circle of Light, #2)
  • Rowan of the Wood (Rowan of the Wood #1)
  • Beyond Ragnarok (Renshai Chronicles, #1)
  • Out of the Darkness (Darkness, #6)
  • When Darkness Falls (Obsidian Mountain, #3)
  • Lord of the Silent Kingdom (Instrumentalities of the Night, #2)
  • Children of the Serpent Gate (Tears of Artamon, #3)

The Annals of the Chosen (3 books)
  • The Ninth Talisman (The Annals of the Chosen, #2)
  • The Summer Palace (The Annals of the Chosen, #3)