Start by marking “The Wizard Lord: Volume One of the Annals of the Chosen” as Want to Read:
The Wizard Lord: Volume One of the Annals of the Chosen

The Wizard Lord: Volume One of the Annals of the Chosen (Annals of the Chosen #1)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  398 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The Wizard Lord’s duty is to keep the world in its delicate balance. He must govern lightly to protect his domain from power-hungry interlopers, such as certain wizards who previously fought to rule the world…But if the Wizard Lord himself strays from the way of the just, then it is up to the Chosen to intercede.

The Chosen ones are the Leader, the Seer, the Swordsman, the...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Tor Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Wizard Lord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wizard Lord

David(LA,CA)
The story of an epic adventure... without much in the way of adventure. The main character himself points out on a few occasions that the journey our heroes are on isn't like the tales told of the grand adventures of the previous time when the worlds chosen heroes were gathered to fight a mad wizard lord.

In fact, let me see if I can sum up the cycle of the story's plot:

The Chosen: We're walking. We're walking. Stay together people.
*Evil magic is encountered*
The Chosen: This shouldn't be. This m...more
Niki Hawkes
Via The Obsessive Bookseller at www.nikihawkes.com

As the writer of my all time favorite Dragon series, The Obsidian Chronicles, Lawrence Watt-Evans had never failed to entertain me in the half a dozen books I’ve read from him so far. In fact, I liked him so much that I immediately went out and purchased every book he had on the market at the time – an impulse I have not yet regretted…Until now.

I have to say, for such a fantastic idea for a book, this one took a lot of time to get going. A hundre...more
K. Axel
Oct 25, 2008 K. Axel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of watt-evans, robin hobb and bruce fergusson
First of...
This book is about a young man named Breaker, who finds himself training to become one of the Chosen, the Swordsman, in fact. He wants to take on this important role, but finds it a difficult task, that he is constantly doubting. The Chosen, by the way, are those who keep the realm of Barokan safe from mad wizards gone rogue. Their's is a very important task, and the Council of Immortals give them magcal powers to fulfill it, making them the absolute best in their field of expertise....more
Robert Rapplean
This book is probably the most realistic example of how people would behave in a magical realm. Unfortunately, that makes for very unrewarding escapist reading. Although it is overall a well written and interesting piece, it is also studiously uninspiring. This world is full of characters who are completely absorbed by self-interest. The main character trudges along doing the thankless job of being a hero with a band of "Chosen" who accepted a ceremonial job because it supposedly provided some f...more
Peter
Aug 01, 2012 Peter rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Darren
It seems a lot of people found it annoying that the characters in the book seemed like ordinary people and reacted as such. Personally I found this to be a very refreshing way to tell the story. I very much enjoyed the story and am looking forward to continuing it.
Riteandritual
Got this from the dollar store - and was very pleasantly surprised. Not only that, but I picked it mostly for the cover.
Struck me as an interesting world with an unusual theme (read the book-liner, I was like "huh?"), and a refreshingly sober, no-nonsense protagonist; clearly, simply envisioned. Although it was kinda slowish starting, it keeps you hooked enough to keep turning pages till the end. Disappointed that it isn't a 9 book series, like you'd figure from the intro, I still want to read...more
Robert Aldrich
I HATE THIS BOOK.

Honestly, I have never before stated a thing like that, but it is true. There is NOTHING good that I have to day about this

If I could give a negative rating, I would, but one is the lowest I can give.

I could spout venom about this books for quite a while, but I have better things to do...like try and get back the hours I spent reading it--all of it--only to get the end and feel cheated and hateful.

So that's all I have to say...aside from the fact that if I had a copy of this b...more
Hayden

Is it a classic that holds up to HG Wells or Ray Bradbury? Hardly, but it is a good read for fellow fantasy lovers. The plot is well thought out, and the characters are engaging. The story itself moves at a somewhat drawn out pace. I felt the author could have shaved off about twenty pages of writing. Although, perhaps with better use of language (the book did lack a certain creativity in its sentence structures) the book would not have seemed overly long. I wouldn't place it in my "to read aga...more
Infromsea
Jul 22, 2007 Infromsea rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Light Fantasy Readers
Shelves: fantasy
A wonderful idea, I really liked the setup to this story, the plot was too thin though.

There are 8 “Chosen” who are supposed to keep the “Wizard Lord” in check, each with special powers that are tied to the Wizard Lord via talismans. The setup is nice, the world is described well, though not in much detail, but the plot is too simplistic and transparent. The story flows well but the end is highly obvious, maybe a little too much foreshadowing is used here.

I like the story, a quick, simple read...more
Matthew
It's interesting that an author was just as good in the eighties as today. But is it more telling that the stories are just as bland? Seems to be a writer who likes to expand upon a simple thread for the course of a whole book. Not terrible, but forgettable.
Jeffrey
OK, so as this is a Lawrence Watt-Evans book I had fairly high expectations, cause I have loved all of his other books, but I gotta tell you, this one fell way below his level of writing. It was very choppy, and the characters didn't act like I would have expected them to, but not in a natural way either. It just didn't make sense some of the stuff they said and did.

Overall, disappointed. Not sure if I will read the rest in the series or not.
Craig
The plotting isn't great and the characters are fairly wooden, but I found the world-building made this one worth 3 stars. Although the spirits resembling Shinto kami are not the focus of the book, they are pervasive and integral to the working of this world. Wish the author would have done more with the premise - maybe he will in later volumes.
Brandon
Decient book, I like the idea the author put forth here. Threre are eight chosen heros to be summoned when the ruler of the land goes bad, who happens to be an all powerful wizard. A little slow in some parts but all ans all a food book. I've purchased the next book Of the series and normally don't unless I thoroughly enjoyed the story.
Kevin Tucker
Dec 01, 2007 Kevin Tucker rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Shelves: fantasy
Interesting idea. Interesting world these characters live in. Good enough writing that I wanted to read the rest of the books, unfortunately, the 3rd book of this trilogy isn't out yet. I like other books by this author better.

Rather intellectual rather than action packed.
Mike
May 21, 2008 Mike marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I will start reading this tonight probably(4-21-08) and I got it because I say the second book at the library and thought that it sounded really good but it was the second book of a series so I had to find the first book before reading it. Hopefully I like it.
Keidi02
Apr 28, 2008 Keidi02 rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone/ UA 15 up as well
Recommended to Keidi02 by: the bookshelf
this filled my requirement for Fantasy/adventure for the month, it wasn't the best of its genre that I have read but it wasn't boring and it was quick and clean.
I liked, I'm most likely read # 2 in the series.
David
Beginning of a trilogy set in a world where humans use the spirits of the land to perform magic. Has a fairy-tale quality to it. I found this initial offering more satisfying than the sequels.
Andrea
Thoroughly enjoyed it and looking forward to books 2& 3. Refreshing to meet a protagonist in a fantasy novel that asks the same skeptical questions as I.
Jan
Eight chosen to keep magic in check. What happens when the balance of power is seriously disturbed.
Jon
An enjoyable sword and sorcery fantasy book with a deeper side. Plus, hypnotized squirrels are always fun.
Booknerd Fraser
Did not like the "farmboy saves the world" aspect of the story, or the way the world was put together.
Bob
a good Evans book. The 3 books have an interesting magic background that provoke some interesting ideas.
Jennifer Chin
Also really good, characters at times feel flat, and the ending is anticlimatic, but it was enjoyable.
Raj
Nov 29, 2008 Raj rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This is a great book to adventurers. Has great action and mystery.
Jed
It was OK. Not the best book, very anti-climatic ending.
Mike
It was an easy read and mostly entertaining.
  • The Ancient (Corona: Saga of the First King, #2)
  • Soarer's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #6)
  • Voyage of the Fox Rider: A Novel of Mithgar
  • Beyond Ragnarok (Renshai Chronicles, #1)
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
  • The Covenant Rising (Dreamtime, #1)
  • The Devil's Armor (The Bronze Knight, #2)
  • Shadow's Lure (Shadow Saga, #2)
  • Out of the Darkness (Darkness, #6)
  • Wizard of the Winds (Tales of the Timuras, #1)
  • Grand Conspiracy (Wars of Light & Shadow #5; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #2)
The Misenchanted Sword With a Single Spell Dragon Weather (Obsidian Chronicles #1) The Dragon Society (Obsidian Chronicles, Book 2) Dragon Venom (Obsidian Chronicles #3)