Battle for Iwo Jima

Battle for Iwo Jima (Landmark Books #118)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A day-by-day account of the United States Marine Corps battle on the black sands and in the green jungles of the Pacific island which brought the Second World War to Japan.
Published November 1st 1967 by Random House Trade (first published 1967)

Jeff
Really fascinating look at the Battle of Iwo Jima. I learned so much about the sacrifice of the men that fought for Iwo Jima. I have seen the John Wayne movie but I always thought the battle ended with the capture of Mt. Surabachi a few days after the invasion started. I also never realized the number of people that were honored for heroism (many posthumously) in this fight. I really came away from this book with a great feeling of gratitude for the people who have defended our country and freed...more
Ian
A short, factual account of the battle to take Iwo Jima in WW2.

Useful as a systematic guide to the battle and its major phases. Also contains a list of all Medal of Honor winners. Very few personal accounts overall.

Not as enjoyable as Flags of Our Fathers.

I would also refer you to the book Indestructible: The Unforgettable Story of a Marine Hero at the Battle of Iwo Jima, the story of the youngest Medal of Honor winner.
JayCee
"Among the Americans serving on Iwo island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."
Derek
So much sacrifice.
Kat Davis
Obviously written from an American perspective but refreshingly objective in the most part. I enjoyed this account. While it is factual it does not detract from the individual heroisms displayed throughout the battle. Nor does it paint a negative picture of the Japanese but rather highlights their honour code and willingness to fight to the last man.

This was easy to read and informative. It was thought provoking and inspiring. A must read for those interested in the Pacific theatre in WWII.
Emmett
May 25, 2012 Emmett marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book was just okay. The information it contained seemed too much like it came directly from military award documentation. I know that getting first hand accounts was next to impossible but sure would have liked reading those instead of lifeless words.
Fredrick Danysh
Iwo Jima was one of the bloodiest and most famous battles of World War II in the Pacific. The flag raising by the Marines on Mount Suribachi came to symbolize courage and valor.
Tom Kerkhove
Tom Kerkhove marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Trang
Trang marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Chas
Chas marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Zachary Wagoner
Zachary Wagoner marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Dipak
Dipak marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Rich
Rich added it
May 24, 2014
Emilie Wright
Emilie Wright marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Hagai Jacobson
Hagai Jacobson marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Thomas Vermeeren
Thomas Vermeeren marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Tammy Landy
Tammy Landy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Justine
Justine marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Hitler's Panzers: The Lightning Attacks that Revolutionized Warfare
  • Battle: The Story of the Bulge
  • Red Inferno: 1945
  • A Writer at War: Vasily Grossman with the Red Army
  • Begin Again: A Biography of John Cage
  • Beautiful Assassin: A Novel
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • Tonight We Die As Men: The untold story of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment from Toccoa to D-Day
  • The Fourth Star: Four Generals and the Epic Struggle for the Future of the United States Army
  • The Battle Of Britain: Myth and Reality
  • The Marne, 1914: The Opening of World War I and the Battle That Changed the World
  • The Tau Ceti Agenda
  • Chords of Strength: A Memoir of Soul, Song and the Power of Perseverance
  • Mimi and Toutou's Big Adventure: The Bizarre Battle of Lake Tanganyika
  • Bombs Away
  • Where Have All the Bullets Gone?  (War Memoirs, #5)
  • Fighter: The True Story of the Battle of Britain
  • Terrible Swift Sword: The Centennial History of the Civil War Series, Volume 2
Leckie was born on December 18, 1920, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He grew up in Rutherford, New Jersey. He began his career as a writer in high school, as a sports writer for ''The Bergen Evening Record'' in Hackensack, New Jersey.

On January 18, 1942, Leckie enlisted in the United States Marine Corps.He served in combat in the Pacific theater, as a scout and a machine gunner in H Company, 2nd B...more
More about Robert Leckie...
Helmet for My Pillow Okinawa: The Last Battle of World War II Strong Men Armed: The United States Marines Against Japan George Washington's War: The Saga of the American Revolution Delivered from Evil: The Saga of World War II