Start by marking “The Marriage Ring” as Want to Read:
The Marriage Ring

The Marriage Ring (Scandals and Seductions #3)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  538 ratings  ·  40 reviews
The woman who will one day wear Richard Lynsted's ring will be genteel, dainty, and well-bred.

This eliminates Grace MacEachin on all three counts. A hellion of the first order, the alluring, infuriating woman would be nothing more than a passing temptation to an upstanding gentleman like Richard—if it weren't for the fact that she's trying to blackmail his father!

Or, as Gr
Published February 23rd 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage Ring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marriage Ring

Apart from the weird and almost abrupt last few chapters, it was a really great story. I think it's almost impossible to not enjoy Cathy Maxwell's story at some point in the storytelling. I'm a fan of writing, and even though this is not the best I've read, I still fund it entertaining.
I liked this story, but it devolved at the end. Apparently expecting someone to be punished for trying to kill Grace and nearly getting Richard hung was too much to expect. Still Richard was quite likable especially since he wasn't the typical super-confident hero.
More contrived and lacking in interest than usual.
This was much better than the previous Cathy Maxwell I read - His Christmas Pleasure.

However, it did have it's own downsides. The twins were just irritating and I wanted them to die. Plus the nemesis of the hero seemed much too evil for such a small role. He was only in a couple of scenes and then he disappeared and wasn't really mentioned again. So much for a villain.

The heroine could also be a tad annoying. She could be a real bitch sometimes, and they way she threw herself around to get what
Avid Reader Amy's Reviews
Grace MacEachin knows that her father was framed. She also knows who framed her father. She blackmails the men responsible. She wants them to pay and her father go free. So when Richard Lynsted, son and nephew of the men that Grace is blackmailing, confronts Grace about said blackmailing, Grace sees it as an opportunity to finally have her father's name cleared.
When Richard meets Grace he finds her to be the complete opposite of any woman he would want. She is opinionated, honest and a little r
You've got a stuffy lawyer with a body of a giant and a beautiful petite actress/singer who's blackmailing his family. They go on a journey to find out the truth and they end up with their own happily ever after.

This is a favorite of mine, and I've re-read it many times and I know I'll probably re-read it again. The first time I read this I rated it 4 stars but after I've re-read it I can't figure out why I didn't make it 5 stars. Since it's not fair, because I don't re-read all my books, I won'
Morgan Wyatt
The Marriage Ring by Cathy Maxwell is a historical romance by a master of the genre. Who else would have two character diametrically opposed to one another in every way? Only Cathy Maxwell could make it work. Grace MacEachin has a bone to pick with the Lynsted family. They bore false witness against her father, which sent him to the penal colony for several years. This crime busted up her happy family and sent her fleeing Scotland for the London stage.

Grace wows audiences with her beautiful voic
I love this series. Maxwell takes 2 peripheral characters from the previous 2 books and gives them their own stories. Scottish Grace, and English Richard have both grown up feeling unloved and unappreciated. They are thrown together and travel to Scotland, Grace to prove her father innocent of a crime and Richard to prove his father innocent of the same crime. The journey has many revelations, and they both find the truth and love. I may finish the next 2 books in the series today.
Jill Twigg
This is the story of a "Scottish Songbird" actress wanting, no needing to prove her father innocent of a crime he was sent to prison for. The accused, a set of twins, are bent on keeping the truth and will do anything they can to make sure it is done. Richard, the son and nephew of the twins is also bent on finding out the truth to clear his father and uncle. An adventure ensues as he follows Grace to Scotland to encounter her father and the truth. Attempted murder, an accidental death and a sto ...more
Grace MacEachin is an actress, but that doesn't make her a loose woman. Unfortunately, the betting books do not seem to reflect that. Her worst vice right now is blackmailing the uncle and father of Richard Lynsted and he's off to fix the problem. But first he has to save Grace from an unscrupulous stage manager as well as the many other men chasing after her, trying to win the bet.
Grace thinks that the two men set up her father to take the fall for an unscrupulous money scheme, one that made t
For my own personal preferences, this book had two knocks against it. First, the "hero is huge" trope, which is even more exasperating in this book as Richard's head is described as almost scraping the ceiling. Second, the "I've known you for four days and now I'm deeply in love with you" trope. Barf. Otherwise, this book is full of characters that never really develop their own voices and spend waaaaay too much time navel-gazing. The last few chapters are absolutely ridiculous and no characters ...more
Nina Mason
I had a harder time with this one than the first three of Cathy's books I read, probably because I didn't like the characters as well. Grace, the heroine, is an actress who's gutsy but has suffered ill-treatment at the hands of men. At the start of the story, she's in London, estranged from her father, who was sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit--or so she believes. The hero is a big stiff of a guy named Richard. He's described as being not all that attractive . . . and all through the b ...more
Tabetha Waite
This book started out good, but I felt my interest waning. The heroine was too bold for my tastes and the hero a bit awkward and dense. Sorry, but not particularly my cup of tea.
Amy Medeiros
loved it :)

Loved everything about this book especially the characters Grace and Richard :) Cathy Maxwell reminding me why I love historical romances.
Lady Darcie Guenon
Apr 03, 2010 Lady Darcie Guenon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance lovers
Recommended to Lady Darcie by: Maceys
Aww Poor Richard, I felt so sorry for him. The way he was treated just tore at my heart, but to have Grace stand there and think the best of him made it all better. These two people came together looking for one thing and that was the TRUTH!! set on proving each others fathers are innocent they journey to Scotland to seek the truth but along the way they find something more than they bargained for and that was LOVE. Now they have to face attempt of murder, being claimed as murders, fights, and s ...more
Mti Librarian
This was actually kind of sad and depressing for fluff.

Grace MacEachin wants revenge and justice for the stolen money that caused her father to be transported to a penal colony and tore apart her family. Richard Lynsted wants Grace to stop trying to blackmail his family. After the two of them are thrown together for 2 weeks on a trip to Scotland, there are predictable results.
This book was much better. I liked the main characters more that the last ones. I love the big guy humbled by the tiny woman thing they had going on. and I even thought it was cool that the man was the virgin instead of the woman like usual. It was a good twist. I hated the twins and the father. I couldn't believe their callousness. But I LOVED the couple.
4/10 reminded me of Shrek and Fiona's walk to Dulock. One road trip and madly in love.
Cheryl Harper
I thought I'd read all the Cathy Maxwell as she's an autobuy for me, but I picked this up at RWA. And I was so excited to find I hadn't read it. I loved the hero because he's not smooth or superpowerful. He's awkward and conscientious and has a problem: an actress. And blackmail. I read it so fast I was sorry it was gone!
I find it to be an awkward story line; I'm not going to ruin the book but I do find that the guy wasn't portrayed as assertive enough for this plot to work. What I do LOVE ABOUT CATHY MAXWELL, is that she writes great adventure scenes, I felt the sense of urgency in the plot and find myself being hooked on it.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I hope this one doesn't have a cheating hero like her last book. I like her writing, but I skipped The Earl Claims His Wife because of the adulterous hero.
Erin H
Monica Autry
Good book. I liked it the first go around but probably won't pick it up again. Not one you read time after time. The author is talented, I just didn't love these characters personally.
The story was just OK, I wasn't impressed with Richard's character. Grace deserved a better story to her strong character than the way it was written. Just my opnion............
Grace and Richard, troubles, seeking justice and falling in love. It's sad they both lost their family members in the end, but their happiness is and will be with each other.
Attened a book signing with the Author and picked this one up. I was pleasantly surprised. It's a quick read and interesting.
I enjoyed how he's stuffy and proper and she's a Scottish song bird who just fall in love.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 09, 2015 11:22AM
  • A Basket of Wishes
  • Happily Ever After
  • My Forever Love
  • Bride of Shadow Canyon (Bride, #1)
  • Marry Me (Marrying Miss Bright, #2)
  • Never Love a Cowboy
  • Blue Moon (The Runaways, #3)
  • Intimate Enemies
  • Never Dare a Duke (Sons of Scandal, #2)
  • A Lady's Guide to Improper Behavior (Adventurers’ Club #2)
  • License to Thrill
  • The Accidental Countess (Accidental, #2)
  • Touched by Fire
  • She's No Princess (Guilty, #4)
  • Love with the Perfect Scoundrel (Widows Club, #3)
  • Into the Light (Sutton Family, #2)
  • Amazon Lily
  • Allie's Moon
CATHY MAXWELL spends hours in front of her computer pondering the question, "Why do people fall in love?" It remains for her the mystery of life and the secret to happiness.

She lives in beautiful Virginia with her children, horses, dogs, and cats.
More about Cathy Maxwell...

Scandals and Seductions (5 books)
  • A Seduction at Christmas (Scandals and Seductions, #1)
  • The Earl Claims His Wife (Scandals and Seductions, #2)
  • His Christmas Pleasure (Scandals and Seductions, #4)
  • The Seduction of Scandal (Scandals and Seductions, #5)
Four Dukes and a Devil In the Bed of a Duke (Cameron Sisters, #3) Married in Haste (Marriage, #1) A Seduction at Christmas (Scandals and Seductions, #1) In the Highlander's Bed (Cameron Sisters, #5)

“She'd known many men in her life but this bear of a man with a lawyer's mind, an accountant's habits, and a knight's spirit outshone them all.” 1 likes