The Gospel According to Luke I-IX (Anchor Bible, Vol 28)

The Gospel According to Luke I-IX (Anchor Bible, Vol 28)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  3 reviews
In this first of two volumes of the Gospel according to Luke, Joseph A. Fitzmyer provides an exhaustive introduction, a definitive new translation, and extensive notes and commentary on Luke's Gospel. Fitzmyer brings to the task his mastery of ancient and modern languages, his encyclopedic knowledge of the sources, and his intimate acquaintance with the questions and issue...more
Published July 1st 1982 by Doubleday & Company (Garden City, NY) (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel According to Luke I-IX, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel According to Luke I-IX

David Varney
I really appreciated the lucid and pithy writing contained in this commentary on Luke. Writing from the Roman Catholic tradition, Fitzmyer is clearly a scholar of top class. It was a refreshing read as the author is keen to demonstrate his own views on areas of dispute. This cannot always be said of other writers. The commentary is technical but I found it highly accessible-again, not a common combination! Clearly a man of faith, I found Fitzmyer a warm read and greatly helpful.
Erik Graff
Mar 09, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bible fans
Recommended to Erik by: Loyola professor
Shelves: religion
I read this two volume commentary for a class entitled "The Gospel of Luke" during the first semester of 1993/94 at Loyola University Chicago. It was my last class there and my second class with the Institute of Pastoral Studies, the idea being to eventually become an adjunct faculty member in the program to supplement my administrative work with the university.
Ephrem
For those looking to discover a peculiarly Lukan theology, Fitzmyer's Introduction is masterful. This is a focused yet thorough commentary without being pedantic. I can't wait to read the second volume!
Philip
Philip marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Khoi Le
Khoi Le marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Doug
Doug marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Juan
Juan marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Jino Cst
Jino Cst marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Nonso Duke
Nonso Duke marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
David Turner
David Turner marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Greg
Greg added it
Mar 28, 2014
David
David added it
Jul 23, 2013
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Oneidastjoe
Oneidastjoe is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2013
Giuseppevu
Giuseppevu marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2013
Dmatlak
Dmatlak marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Darrol Pierson
Darrol Pierson marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2012
Jimmy
Jimmy is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2012
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2012
Romans (Anchor Bible) Acts of the Apostles The Gospel According to Luke X-XXIV: Introduction, Translation & Notes (Anchor Bible, Vol 28A) The Dead Sea Scrolls and Christian Origins The Letter to Philemon: A New Translation with Introduction & Commentary