Start by marking “Neoconservatism: Why We Need It” as Want to Read:
Neoconservatism: Why We Need It

Neoconservatism: Why We Need It

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Neo Conservatism: Why We Need It is a defense of the most controversial political philosophy of our era. Douglas Murray takes a fresh look at the movement that replaced Great-Society liberalism, helped Ronald Reagan bring down the Wall, and provided the intellectual rationale for the Bush administration's War on Terror. While others are blaming it for foreign policy failur ...more
Published July 20th 2006 by Encounter Books (first published October 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Neoconservatism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neoconservatism

Arvind
Jun 18, 2016 Arvind rated it really liked it
3.5/5 I am a die-hard fan of Ayn Rand's individualism and Orwell's critique of collectivism. Heard Murray's firm plain-speak for freedom of speech and against d dreadful multiculturalism in a few Intelligence squared debates and loved it.
As per d title and description, this book describes origin of neoconservativism and its relevance and need in today's world. On the way the author rips apart into 'liberals' wrt the Iraq War, Israel/anti-Semitism, welfarism and multiculturalism.
For an Indian li
Jim Hartley
Jan 23, 2016 Jim Hartley rated it did not like it
I have never written a review on this site before, but I was moved to do so in this instance because this book was utter nonsense.

It is an unreflective and uncritical hagiography of neoconservative "luminaries" and an attempt at historical, philosophical, and political commentary by one who either does not know anything about history, philosophy, or political theory, or does but cannot be bothered doing the hard work to properly set out the theoretical underpinning of the position he espouses. T
Fred
Apr 16, 2016 Fred rated it really liked it
Murray is an able writer with an excellent wit and command of subject matter. Makes the neocon history and movement more intelligible (and palatable) to the traditionally liberal reader.
Untangles the issues with misrepresentation of Straussian philosophy and the viewpoints of Kristol and Allan Bloom.
Recommended to intellectual liberals becoming more and more disaffected from the left's ongoing adventures in academia.
Richard
Sep 23, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Douglas Murray I have read although I always enjoy his appearances on TV and his uncompromising views on the great issues of the day. I found the first couple of chapters, which describe how neo-conservatism emerged in the US, a bit dry. Things picked up in the later chapters when Murray analyses 9/11, the Iraq war and the continuing threat posed to the West by Islamist extremism. Not so sure I agree with everything he says, but a good read nonetheless.
Dannyboy
Dec 15, 2009 Dannyboy rated it really liked it
I thought I would check this book out after hearing a very good speech by Douglas Murray about the philosophy of neoconservatism. He tells the history of the philosophy and expresses his opinions about how he would like to see things go politically in the United States and Europe. I don't agree with all of his ideas, but he is clearly a scholorly writer. The book is very informative and quite entertaining.
Will James
Aug 09, 2011 Will James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Douglas Murray's passionate and controversial defence of neoconservatism is sure to unsettle some people, but his arguments are strong, articulate and very persuasive.
Sylvester
Nov 10, 2015 Sylvester rated it it was ok
Neo Conservatism, we really don't need it. What Neo-Conservatism according to Murray is utilitarian in disguise: we can have individual liberty AS LONG AS it does not harm the "majority". While I can be as sympathetic to the cause, the premise is so evil that I shudder at his logic.
Adrian
Jul 21, 2008 Adrian rated it liked it
This is a great book for those wanting to learn a little more about Neocon. It explains the foundation of the movement as well as the beginning. Great way to get a perspective on current issues and somethings are they way they are. This is an easy read and should be on everyone's book self.
CaldoHendo
Jun 06, 2016 CaldoHendo rated it really liked it
Some of what Murray proposes will be an anathema to many people, but his arguments about relativism, humanitarian intervention and western self-hatred are extremely important and very eloquently discussed.
Rudrendra Kashyap
Rudrendra Kashyap marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Ben Hourigan
Ben Hourigan marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Da
Da marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Bjørn
Bjørn marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Mike
Mike is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2016
David Morse
David Morse marked it as to-read
James
James marked it as to-read
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Heath Copps
Heath Copps is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2016
Ronnie Longfellow
Ronnie Longfellow marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Ras Salassie
Ras Salassie marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Jonty H.
Jonty H. marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Thomas Schwartz
Thomas Schwartz marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Tal
Tal marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Veeraragavan Nandakumar
Veeraragavan Nandakumar marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Anitha
Anitha marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
  • Malaysian Maverick: Mahathir Mohamad in Turbulent Times
  • The Second Sexism: Discrimination Against Men and Boys
  • The Pity Party: A Mean-Spirited Diatribe Against Liberal Compassion
  • Who Runs Britain?: and Who's to Blame for the Economic Mess We're In
  • Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Collector's Edition: Prima Official Game Guide
  • What Gandhi Says: About Nonviolence, Resistance and Courage
  • We Still Hold These Truths: Rediscovering Our Principles, Reclaiming Our Future
  • Sex and Repression in Savage Society
  • Out of It: A Cultural History of Intoxication
  • The Logical Structure of the World and Pseudoproblems in Philosophy
Douglas Kear Murray is a British neoconservative writer and commentator. He was the director of the Centre for Social Cohesion from 2007 until 2011, and is currently an associate director of the Henry Jackson Society.

Murray appears regularly in the British broadcast media, commentating on issues from a conservative standpoint, and he is often critical of Islamic fundamentalism. He writes for a num
More about Douglas Murray...