Neo Conservatism: Why We Need It

Neo Conservatism: Why We Need It

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Neo Conservatism: Why We Need It is a defense of the most controversial political philosophy of our era. Douglas Murray takes a fresh look at the movement that replaced Great-Society liberalism, helped Ronald Reagan bring down the Wall, and provided the intellectual rationale for the Bush administration's War on Terror. While others are blaming it for foreign policy failur...more
Published July 20th 2006 by Encounter Books (first published October 1st 2005)

Dannyboy
I thought I would check this book out after hearing a very good speech by Douglas Murray about the philosophy of neoconservatism. He tells the history of the philosophy and expresses his opinions about how he would like to see things go politically in the United States and Europe. I don't agree with all of his ideas, but he is clearly a scholorly writer. The book is very informative and quite entertaining.
Will James
Douglas Murray's passionate and controversial defence of neoconservatism is sure to unsettle some people, but his arguments are strong, articulate and very persuasive.
Richard
This is the first book by Douglas Murray I have read although I always enjoy his appearances on TV and his uncompromising views on the great issues of the day. I found the first couple of chapters, which describe how neo-conservatism emerged in the US, a bit dry. Things picked up in the later chapters when Murray analyses 9/11, the Iraq war and the continuing threat posed to the West by Islamist extremism. Not so sure I agree with everything he says, but a good read nonetheless.
Adrian
This is a great book for those wanting to learn a little more about Neocon. It explains the foundation of the movement as well as the beginning. Great way to get a perspective on current issues and somethings are they way they are. This is an easy read and should be on everyone's book self.
Zemblance
Zemblance marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Marie Marriott
Marie Marriott marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Claire
Claire is currently reading it
May 07, 2014
Kb
Kb marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Jack Blackbourn
Jack Blackbourn marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Hooblah94
Hooblah94 is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2014
Hooblah94
Hooblah94 marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Jeffrey Friedman
Jeffrey Friedman marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
Marcus Capri
Marcus Capri marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Douglas Kear Murray is a British neoconservative writer and commentator. He was the director of the Centre for Social Cohesion from 2007 until 2011, and is currently an associate director of the Henry Jackson Society.

Murray appears regularly in the British broadcast media, commentating on issues from a conservative standpoint, and he is often critical of Islamic fundamentalism. He writes for a num...more
More about Douglas Murray...
Bosie: A Biography Of Lord Alfred Douglas Islamophilia Bloody Sunday: Truths, Lies and the Saville Inquiry Victims Of Intimidation: Freedom Of Speech Within Europe's Muslim Communities NeoConservatism: Why We Need It