Start by marking “De Diamanten Troon (Het Elenium, #1)” as Want to Read:
De Diamanten Troon (Het Elenium, #1)

De Diamanten Troon (The Elenium #1)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  23,999 Ratings  ·  341 Reviews
Tras diez años de exilio, Falquián regresa a Elenia para reanudar sus obligaciones como caballero Pandion y paladín de la reina. Sin embargo, su joven reina, Ehlana, sufre una fatal enfermedad, supuestamente la misma que llevó a la tumba al rey Aldreas, su padre. Permanece con vida gracias al poderoso hechizo invocado por Sephrenia, la mujer de edad indefinida que inicia a ...more
Published April 2009 by MYNX (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about De Diamanten Troon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De Diamanten Troon

Dirk Grobbelaar
Feb 06, 2015 Dirk Grobbelaar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
'You'd better get ready to ride, Sparhawk.'

Meet Sparhawk: Pandion Knight and Queen’s Champion. If this were D&D his character class would likely be Paladin; he can cast spells, but mostly prefers to just chop off heads with his considerable broadsword.

Sparhawk is a bit of a bad-ass. So is his horse, Faran.

'It's the Queen's Champion. Don't ever stand in his way.'

I fairly devoured this novel in short order. Sparhawk has a zero tolerance approach to BS which is immensely refreshing and enjoyabl
Jim
I've probably read this 4 or 5 times. It's fun, entertaining & amusing. I liked this first trilogy better than the second (Tamuli) but both are good if you're looking for something quick, light & entertaining.

Sparhawk is a great character, a battered knight, but his horse Faran is my favorite. It's nice to see a horse as a character. More authors should do this.
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
David Eddings' Belgariad series is what first gave me my love of reading, especially of fantasy, so I always have a soft spot for anything he has written and this book is no exception. Although I think the Belgariad is better I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Sir Sparhawk, a Knight of the Pandion order has returened to Elenia after 10 years of being exciled to find that the young queen, Ehlena, is sick and dying, betrayed by a corrupt Churchman who has lofty ambitions and her bastard cousin. It is
Christopher
Jan 08, 2015 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daniel
Aug 19, 2015 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dosadna i predvidiva knjiga sa dosadnim i predvidivim likovima koji rade dosadne i predvidive stvari. To sve i ne bi bilo tako staršno da su likovi interesantni, da imaju pametne razgovore ili da je glavni lik neko ko je kolko tolko realan a ne wunderkind koji je sve rešava pošto je pametniji od svih, ili bolji borac ili...

Jedino što je sama postavka priče interesantna sa princozom/kraljicom zamrznutom u dijamant dok joj ne nađu lek.

Iskreno zaobići.

Mada moguće da mi ovo smeta pošto sam već proči
Catherine Ford
The Diamond Throne is the first book in the Elenium series, and trust me it is amazing! It is followed by The Ruby Knight and The Sapphire Rose. This is possibly one of my most favourite books! I love absolutely everything about it! I could write pages and pages on how brilliant this book is, but since that would take you too long to read and I would land up giving to much away, I’ve tried my best to explain why this book is so fantastic.
David Eddings is more well known for his Bolgariad series,
Michael Cairns
I’m cheating here a little bit because this is a three book series, but it seems a little redundant to only talk about the first one, so please view this review as being for all three.
David Eddings is one of the great masters of the quest fantasy. What Tolkien started many, many authors have run with, though few as successfully or just generally as satisfyingly as Eddings.
The Elenium focuses on a Knight called Sparhawk and his travels to save his young and very beautiful queen, who is encased i
Denise
Jan 02, 2008 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of High Fantasy series who are willing to sit through a slow opening novel
Shelves: fantasy, reread
David Eddings is comfort reading of the highest order (okay, I will admit that I stopped reading him after a certain point, but this series was before that point, so!); I'd reread all of the rest of this series in December, and all of the followup series (The Tamuli), but my copy of this one had taken a walkabout, so I had to backfill and re-read the first one last.

Eddings writes High Fantasy (with Capital Letters, even), with all the tropes and archetypes thereof -- there aren't any surprises h
Boingboing
Jun 19, 2011 Boingboing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stating this upfront. It's not genius writing. The characters are two dimensional and perfect. They look perfect (except for when they have a feature that turns them from perfect to unique), they act perfect, their motives are noble and honorable, except for the villains who twirl their mustaches and laugh at their maniacalness.

Okay, maybe not quite that bad but it's close. Every cliche that could be hit seemed like it was.

No it didn't wrap up the main conflict. There don't seem to be any subp
Kitvaria
Solid fantasy novel.
Interesting world, characters and plot.
Something was missing for me though. I couldn't place my finger on what exactly, but it was not as good as Sandersons books for example. Especially the dialogues seemed a bot lacking in a way.
The main character is a great and funny one anyway, so if you're on the lookout for a new series, and already read through most of the genre, this might still be a nice change while waiting for the next favorites.
Jim
Oct 22, 2014 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the correct edition. Mine is an old library copy from cassette tapes. The sound quality kind of sucked, but I've read the book in paper several times, so it wasn't a huge deal.

This is a simple story, a fun romp, that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's an interesting world with a neat system of magic & a definite goal. The characters are pretty standard, but their dialog makes them more interesting. I love that Faran, Sparhawk's horse, plays such a great role.

It definitely ends on a
Phelipe Pompilio
Sep 18, 2015 Phelipe Pompilio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Resenha feita pelo blog Bravura Literária.

O Trono de Diamante, lançado em Agosto desse ano, foi o primeiro livro do gênero Fantasia publicado pela Editora Aleph, que é famosa por seus lançamentos do gênero de Ficção Científica. Grande admirador de Tolkien, o autor David Eddings foi um dos mais bem sucedidos escritores de fantasia do século XX. A Aleph apostou, e eu posso afirmar que o tiro foi certeiro!

No livro somos apresentados a Sir Sparhawk, um cavaleiro da Ordem Pandion, uma das quatro orde
Elizabeth Wallace
Jun 28, 2009 Elizabeth Wallace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The dialog in this book is probably the best thing about it. Eddings has a WONDERFUL talent with snappy remarks and clever comebacks. I remember when I first read it, reading bits aloud to my sister. "But ThPARhawk" he lisped. "You know how thatin thpoths when it geths wet!!"

Yeah, probably doesn't mean much to you, but trust me, it was hilarious.

It's a true fantasy novel, with knights and magic and battles and the works. Definitely my favorite Eddings novel.

That being said...

After rereading it
Jacob Aitken
Nov 28, 2015 Jacob Aitken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: heroism, fantasy
This is either my 3rd or 4th reading. Admittedly, it has some of the flaws of most of Eddings' work: the characters are chuckleheads and the plot usually revolves around...well, I won't spoil it but you can probably figure it out.

However, there are some marked improvements (and in the realm of general fantasy it is better than most).

1. Sparhawk is infinitely superior to Garion.
2. The bad guys are far more interesting than in the Belgariad. Azash is truly something to be feared. Kal Torak, by con
Jak
Jun 24, 2009 Jak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Diamond Throne starts the Elenium trilogy and centre around the hero Sir Sparhawk who is the exiled Queen’s champion from an order of knights who are trained in magic as they are combat. On returning from exile Sparhawk finds that his queen has been poisoned and her power usurped by the corrupt head of the Elenian church. However the sorceress Serephina has encased the queen in diamond in order to delay the effects of the poison and buy Sparhawk time to find a cure.

Sparhawk sets about gathe
Matthew
Jun 04, 2011 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Reread this book for what may be the sixth or seventh time. It's a day read, potato chip craving that somehow moves beyond.

This book has the elements I cherish most. It has plot, pacing, action, and character development. If you are a slow reader the book may lack urgency.

Sparhawk is a three-dimensional character, not the best but far from the worst. You get to know the first few characters in the starter and the plot presents equally appealing dual conflicts.

If you haven't read anything by Da
Sep 30, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
This is the beginning of a new edding series and I am not as hooked as I was with the prior series of his.

Plot line is ok so far.

Characters are brilliant. I love sparhawk and Kuriks constant bickering, like an old married couple.

Just not as gripped by this as I was before with eddings. Still good just not great.

I will perservere!
David
Read this many years ago, and ended up skimming the second half. I could see why Eddings has such a poor reputation: the writing was boring and the characters were caricatures, with flat dialog and a generic Epic Fantasy Quest plot. I've never been tempted to read anything by Eddings since.
Yaya
Jan 30, 2016 Yaya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 ok, so it's kinda formulaic, but the characters and their dialogues are just so utterly charming, I wasn't immune. On to The Ruby Knight!
Nikki
Jun 04, 2008 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Eddings basically repeats the same plot over and over again. I'm particularly attached to Sparhawk, so I didn't mind at all.
itchy
Aug 23, 2015 itchy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: w
lillias rocks the denouement
Jay Holbrook
Jan 05, 2015 Jay Holbrook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eddings is an author that I was introduced to in the 4th grade. I read the Belgariad without much thought to what I was reading, low comprehension, high enjoyment... it was the fourth grade. Years later I would re-discover Eddings and read through his entire catalog of available works at the time, the Elenium becoming one of my favorite book series'.

The main character in "The Diamond Throne" is Sparhawk. A knight of the Pandion order. The Pandions are one of the sects of Church Knights in Edding
Matthew
May 26, 2013 Matthew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
If nothing else, I can credit this book and the subsequent series with being the books that got me to really fall in love with reading. I always liked reading, but this was the book that opened the flood gates. It was given to me by a friend when I was in seventh grade and it's safe to say it changed my life. So whatever I may think of it now, it will always have a special place in my heart.

That said, as an adult, it was pretty mediocre. Eddings has fun characters, but they're pretty one-note. T
Tom Hansen
An exiled knight returns after 10 years to find his queen deathly ill and encased in magic stone in order to prolong her life. He sets out on a highly political and violent quest to rout out who is behind her mysterious illness and thwart those people that would want to usurp her throne.

I enjoyed this book. It wasn’t earth-shattering, but it was a fun read. It was also a fast-read. I made it through it’s 435 pages in 6 hours or so.

What enjoyed the most would be some of the quotes. Eddings made s
Kathryn
Jun 14, 2008 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My very favorite David Eddings book and, no surprise here, it's also the very first one of his books I ever read. This is a great sword-and-sorcery adventure tale, complete with the heroic knight, his handsome best-friend comrade-in-arms, an ethereal sorceress, and the lovely spellbound princess they're all trying to save. Plus, it's got a whole cast of interesting characters and a lot of snappy, entertaining dialog.

The real shame about Eddings' books is that the great stuff from THIS book is th
Michael Hollingworth
Oct 30, 2015 Michael Hollingworth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
I really enjoyed this. The style is very frank, a little archaic, and some of the words are fun. The storytelling is easygoing with humor interspersed, and it was an easy read for me. I'm gonna go hunt down the sequel now, because the story isn't complete without it. =P
Andrew Leon
If you never read The Belgariad, this could be a great series. However, if you started following Eddings when he surged onto the scene with The Pawn of Prophecy, as I did, you will see that The Elenium is just more of what Eddings already did in The Belgariad and The Mallorean. It's as if he took all the character archetypes from those books and scrambled them up and re-presented them with new bodies and throws them back into the same old plot. Isolated, it's a good read; however, if you've read ...more
Sookie
All possible cliches, tropes and archetypes of high fantasy are present in it and its practically a guide for the same. However the book lays a solid foundation to the trilogy with its engaging characters, amusing dialogues and provides a good pace.

Its super fun read with characters that seem awfully similar yet offer a sliver of their own personality every now and then. Eddings narration rarely takes rest as the plot moves in a steady pace.

All in all its a great start to the series!
Should I? 3 8 Feb 08, 2016 03:25PM
Which series is your favorite? 11 48 May 07, 2014 07:53AM
Silver Stag Book ...: The Diamond Throne by David Eddings 1 3 Feb 23, 2014 05:09PM
  • Rage of a Demon King (The Serpentwar Saga, #3)
  • The Will of the Wanderer (Rose of the Prophet, #1)
  • The Legend of Deathwalker (The Drenai Saga, #7)
  • The Scions of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #1)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • The King's Justice (The Histories of King Kelson, #2)
  • Arrow's Flight (Heralds of Valdemar, #2)
David Eddings was an American author who has written several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, is uncredited as co-author on many of his early books, but he has lately acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he
More about David Eddings...

The Elenium (3 books)
  • The Ruby Knight (The Elenium, #2)
  • The Sapphire Rose (The Elenium, #3)

“Its a perfectly good face, Sparhawk."
"It covers the front of my head. What else can you expect from a face?”
67 likes
“I want a sword not a knitting needle
-Kalen ”