Start by marking “De Diamanten Troon (Het Elenium, #1)” as Want to Read:
De Diamanten Troon (Het Elenium, #1)

De Diamanten Troon (The Elenium #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  20,654 ratings  ·  295 reviews
Tras diez años de exilio, Falquián regresa a Elenia para reanudar sus obligaciones como caballero Pandion y paladín de la reina. Sin embargo, su joven reina, Ehlana, sufre una fatal enfermedad, supuestamente la misma que llevó a la tumba al rey Aldreas, su padre. Permanece con vida gracias al poderoso hechizo invocado por Sephrenia, la mujer de edad indefinida que inicia a ...more
Published April 2009 by MYNX (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about De Diamanten Troon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De Diamanten Troon

Jim
I've probably read this 4 or 5 times. It's fun, entertaining & amusing. I liked this first trilogy better than the second (Tamuli) but both are good if you're looking for something quick, light & entertaining.

Sparhawk is a great character, a battered knight, but his horse Faran is my favorite. It's nice to see a horse as a character. More authors should do this.
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
David Eddings' Belgariad series is what first gave me my love of reading, especially of fantasy, so I always have a soft spot for anything he has written and this book is no exception. Although I think the Belgariad is better I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Sir Sparhawk, a Knight of the Pandion order has returened to Elenia after 10 years of being exciled to find that the young queen, Ehlena, is sick and dying, betrayed by a corrupt Churchman who has lofty ambitions and her bastard cousin. It is
Christopher
Denise
Jan 02, 2008 Denise rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of High Fantasy series who are willing to sit through a slow opening novel
Shelves: fantasy, reread
David Eddings is comfort reading of the highest order (okay, I will admit that I stopped reading him after a certain point, but this series was before that point, so!); I'd reread all of the rest of this series in December, and all of the followup series (The Tamuli), but my copy of this one had taken a walkabout, so I had to backfill and re-read the first one last.

Eddings writes High Fantasy (with Capital Letters, even), with all the tropes and archetypes thereof -- there aren't any surprises h
Michael Cairns
I’m cheating here a little bit because this is a three book series, but it seems a little redundant to only talk about the first one, so please view this review as being for all three.
David Eddings is one of the great masters of the quest fantasy. What Tolkien started many, many authors have run with, though few as successfully or just generally as satisfyingly as Eddings.
The Elenium focuses on a Knight called Sparhawk and his travels to save his young and very beautiful queen, who is encased i
Catherine Ford
The Diamond Throne is the first book in the Elenium series, and trust me it is amazing! It is followed by The Ruby Knight and The Sapphire Rose. This is possibly one of my most favourite books! I love absolutely everything about it! I could write pages and pages on how brilliant this book is, but since that would take you too long to read and I would land up giving to much away, I’ve tried my best to explain why this book is so fantastic.
David Eddings is more well known for his Bolgariad series,
Jim
Not the correct edition. Mine is an old library copy from cassette tapes. The sound quality kind of sucked, but I've read the book in paper several times, so it wasn't a huge deal.

This is a simple story, a fun romp, that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's an interesting world with a neat system of magic & a definite goal. The characters are pretty standard, but their dialog makes them more interesting. I love that Faran, Sparhawk's horse, plays such a great role.

It definitely ends on a
Boingboing
Stating this upfront. It's not genius writing. The characters are two dimensional and perfect. They look perfect (except for when they have a feature that turns them from perfect to unique), they act perfect, their motives are noble and honorable, except for the villains who twirl their mustaches and laugh at their maniacalness.

Okay, maybe not quite that bad but it's close. Every cliche that could be hit seemed like it was.

No it didn't wrap up the main conflict. There don't seem to be any subp
David
Read this many years ago, and ended up skimming the second half. I could see why Eddings has such a poor reputation: the writing was boring and the characters were caricatures, with flat dialog and a generic Epic Fantasy Quest plot. I've never been tempted to read anything by Eddings since.
Matthew
If nothing else, I can credit this book and the subsequent series with being the books that got me to really fall in love with reading. I always liked reading, but this was the book that opened the flood gates. It was given to me by a friend when I was in seventh grade and it's safe to say it changed my life. So whatever I may think of it now, it will always have a special place in my heart.

That said, as an adult, it was pretty mediocre. Eddings has fun characters, but they're pretty one-note. T
Tom Hansen
An exiled knight returns after 10 years to find his queen deathly ill and encased in magic stone in order to prolong her life. He sets out on a highly political and violent quest to rout out who is behind her mysterious illness and thwart those people that would want to usurp her throne.

I enjoyed this book. It wasn’t earth-shattering, but it was a fun read. It was also a fast-read. I made it through it’s 435 pages in 6 hours or so.

What enjoyed the most would be some of the quotes. Eddings made s
Kathryn
My very favorite David Eddings book and, no surprise here, it's also the very first one of his books I ever read. This is a great sword-and-sorcery adventure tale, complete with the heroic knight, his handsome best-friend comrade-in-arms, an ethereal sorceress, and the lovely spellbound princess they're all trying to save. Plus, it's got a whole cast of interesting characters and a lot of snappy, entertaining dialog.

The real shame about Eddings' books is that the great stuff from THIS book is th
Elizabeth Wallace
The dialog in this book is probably the best thing about it. Eddings has a WONDERFUL talent with snappy remarks and clever comebacks. I remember when I first read it, reading bits aloud to my sister. "But ThPARhawk" he lisped. "You know how thatin thpoths when it geths wet!!"

Yeah, probably doesn't mean much to you, but trust me, it was hilarious.

It's a true fantasy novel, with knights and magic and battles and the works. Definitely my favorite Eddings novel.

That being said...

After rereading it
Jak
The Diamond Throne starts the Elenium trilogy and centre around the hero Sir Sparhawk who is the exiled Queen’s champion from an order of knights who are trained in magic as they are combat. On returning from exile Sparhawk finds that his queen has been poisoned and her power usurped by the corrupt head of the Elenian church. However the sorceress Serephina has encased the queen in diamond in order to delay the effects of the poison and buy Sparhawk time to find a cure.

Sparhawk sets about gathe
This is the beginning of a new edding series and I am not as hooked as I was with the prior series of his.

Plot line is ok so far.

Characters are brilliant. I love sparhawk and Kuriks constant bickering, like an old married couple.

Just not as gripped by this as I was before with eddings. Still good just not great.

I will perservere!
Andrew Leon
If you never read The Belgariad, this could be a great series. However, if you started following Eddings when he surged onto the scene with The Pawn of Prophecy, as I did, you will see that The Elenium is just more of what Eddings already did in The Belgariad and The Mallorean. It's as if he took all the character archetypes from those books and scrambled them up and re-presented them with new bodies and throws them back into the same old plot. Isolated, it's a good read; however, if you've read ...more
Matthew
Jun 04, 2011 Matthew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Reread this book for what may be the sixth or seventh time. It's a day read, potato chip craving that somehow moves beyond.

This book has the elements I cherish most. It has plot, pacing, action, and character development. If you are a slow reader the book may lack urgency.

Sparhawk is a three-dimensional character, not the best but far from the worst. You get to know the first few characters in the starter and the plot presents equally appealing dual conflicts.

If you haven't read anything by Da
Jay Holbrook
Eddings is an author that I was introduced to in the 4th grade. I read the Belgariad without much thought to what I was reading, low comprehension, high enjoyment... it was the fourth grade. Years later I would re-discover Eddings and read through his entire catalog of available works at the time, the Elenium becoming one of my favorite book series'.

The main character in "The Diamond Throne" is Sparhawk. A knight of the Pandion order. The Pandions are one of the sects of Church Knights in Edding
Sookie
All possible cliches, tropes and archetypes of high fantasy are present in it and its practically a guide for the same. However the book lays a solid foundation to the trilogy with its engaging characters, amusing dialogues and provides a good pace.

Its super fun read with characters that seem awfully similar yet offer a sliver of their own personality every now and then. Eddings narration rarely takes rest as the plot moves in a steady pace.

All in all its a great start to the series!
Lumi
This book was one of those ones that reinforced in me the lesson to "never judge a book by its cover". It lured me in with its pretty purple cover and mention of Knights and Queens and crystal thrones and magic spells and ethereal fantasy names. Unfortunately, it turned out to be one of the worst fantasy books I've ever read.

The one positive thing I can say about it is that it didn't cost me anything and I was quite happy to return it to the library.
Barbora
Ano, pár míst je takových naivních, ale je to v mezích žánru heroické fantasy.
Ano, některé pasáže vyzní poněkud sexisticky. Na druhou stranu autor žil v trochu jiné době a psal o středověce laděném světě.

Pokud toto přenesete přes srdce pak vás čeká dobře napsaná vtipná, svěží, akční kniha, kde děj pěkně odsejpá, nikde zbytečně nedře ani neobsahuje vycpávky. Postavy jsou do jisté míry archetypální - čestný rytíř, dobrá královna, moudrá čarodějka/kněžka, proradný zrádce atd.
Ale je tu i pár zvratů
Katie
Has similarities to Eddings' other stuff but this is definitely an adult series whereas the Belgariad and Mallorean were slightly more kiddie. Interesting world and I'm loving the organization and personalities of the knights but I can see that this may get a touch long, I was hoping the main task of this book would be completed and lead in to the larger overarching quest, but it seems it's going to be dragged out.
Samuel
In my opinion, a great book, but not quite phenomenal. The style of humor in this start to The Elenium is on one hand enjoyable and what one should expect from David Eddings but on the other hand seemed to lack variation in a way, too much of the same manner of humorous dialogue, kind of how I think Brian Jacques' Redwall books are fun to read but as some others see it, the writing and course of events became formulaic and such. I did find some of David Eddings' ideas very cool and interesting, ...more
Alexandra
AndrewP
First book of The Elenium. Just the sort of epic fantasy I have come to expect from Eddings. The focus of the characters in this book are religious knights similar to Paladins. Some good action in here along with some dry humor.
Otavio Galileu
Fantastic book! Lots of fun and a great cure for a reading slump. Also, a fantastic intro into fantasy for anyone not that well acquainted with the genre.

- Plot & Story: Very interesting story, but always very straight forward in terms of plot. Though it has some mysteries and twists those are largely predictable, but that does not take away from the enjoyment of the story! The end-goal is also very identifiable early on and it makes the entire story more engaging, since I am (at least) vag
Férial
A good, smooth, quiet fantasy.

After the "turbulent" Butcher's Codex Alera and Clemens's The Banned and the Banished, Eddings is exactly what I needed.
Caroline
A fantastic series full of wonderful characters and humor. I liked the more swashbuckling feel this series had, over his usual, less sarcastic fiction.
Matt Coffron
I recently brought home a box of books that I had picked up when I was in high school and college that I never got around to reading including the Elenium series by David Eddings. I had read several other books by the author when I was younger and was looking for a fun quick read so I opened up this book and was not disappointed.

I enjoy Eddings' style. The the characters are complex enough to be interesting, and the story lines offer enough twists to keep the books engaging without being too con
Which series is your favorite? 11 46 May 07, 2014 07:53AM
Silver Stag Book ...: The Diamond Throne by David Eddings 1 2 Feb 23, 2014 05:09PM
  • Krondor: The Assassins (The Riftwar Legacy, #2)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • The Eye of the Hunter
  • Black Trillium (The Saga of the Trillium, #1)
  • The Paladin of the Night
  • Ilse Witch (Voyage of the Jerle Shannara, #1)
  • The Bishop's Heir (Histories of King Kelson, #1)
David Eddings was an American author who has written several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, is uncredited as co-author on many of his early books, but he has lately acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he
More about David Eddings...

The Elenium (3 books)
  • The Ruby Knight (The Elenium, #2)
  • The Sapphire Rose (The Elenium, #3)
Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3) Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #5) Belgarath the Sorcerer Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4) Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)

“Its a perfectly good face, Sparhawk."
"It covers the front of my head. What else can you expect from a face?”
55 likes
“I want a sword not a knitting needle
-Kalen ”