3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  9 reviews
If you liked the offbeat heroine of "Fried Green Tomatoes," you'll love Sonja Getz - the town loner, a cowgirl/intellectual - who's bursting to get out of her small Texas town and find the trick-roping father who left her as a baby. She hooks up with her only hope, a down-at-the-heels roper who promises to take her to her father even though he knows Sonja is not expecting...more
Audio Cassette, Abridged, 0 pages
Published September 1st 1996 by Paperback Nova Audio Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Virgin of the Rodeo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Virgin of the Rodeo

Nancy
This was recommended to me and I loved the Yakota Officer's Club. It was a fast read. It was pretty good but it didn't knock my socks off. The characters are all pretty unlikable until a few chapters in -- high expectations alone helped me hang on. The characters redeem themselves to be sure, and there are a few plot twists, but it felt pretty light and I didn't walk away a changed person. It's an entertaining, pretty honest (sometimes crass) tale of underdogs improving themselves.
Outlandish flawed characters, funny, well-written, twist in the plot and everything you wanted to know about rodeos.

29 yr old Sonja Gets sets off to find her father who her mother Tinka had a fing with in Frankfurt in 1964. She hooks up with Prairie James, a trick-roper and tours the rodeo circuit as an announcer. She ends up finding herself.
Celina
Sarah Bird has always had a sharp eye, but in this novel she goes right over the line into misanthropy, losing me. This is a minor, late entry in the freakshow genre of the 1980's and early 90's (Carolyn Chute, Geek Love, Harry Crews). Far from her best.
Ramona
This book was a little funny, but not very engaging. An a-typical story of a girl looking for her father, but I couldn't relate to it, even though I live in Texas.
Brea Jones
must read for anyone from texas who felt like an outsider/went to the rodeo/identifies with texans at all.
Vanessa
Oct 21, 2007 Vanessa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
This is a book I wish I hadn't read so I could read it and enjoy it the way I did the first time.
Whitaker
A really great book shows us how everything is great and worth to die for
Julie
A fun read, reminiscent of Tom Robbins.
Dawn
Got better as it went.
Amy Keane
Amy Keane marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Litbitch
Litbitch marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Marsha
Marsha marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
191417
"Above the East China Sea" is going to be published May 2014 by Alfred A. Knopf.
My previous novels are:
Alamo House
Boyfriend School
Mommy Club
Yokota Officers Club
Flamenco Academy
How Perfect Is That
The Gap Year
I've been a columnist for Texas Monthly for the past eight years.
Awards include a Dobie-Paisano Fellowship; a National Magazine Award; Elle Magazine Readers Prize; People M...more
More about Sarah Bird...
The Gap Year The Yokota Officers Club The Flamenco Academy How Perfect Is That The Boyfriend School