Start by marking “Black Rain (Hawker & Laidlaw, #1)” as Want to Read:
Black Rain (Hawker & Laidlaw, #1)

Black Rain (Hawker & Laidlaw #1)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,721 Ratings  ·  163 Reviews
Far from the gleaming monuments of Washington D.C., NRI operative, Danielle Laidlaw leads an expedition into the heart of the Amazon, in search of a legendary Mayan city rumored to be hidden within the tangled rain forest. Assisted by a renowned university professor and protected by an ex-CIA mercenary named Hawker, her team sets out with the truth concealed from them—that ...more
Published December 2009 by Blanvalet (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Black Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Rain

Pranta Ghosh Dastider
Want action? Want horror? Want miracle and myth? And conspiracy mixed within?

There you go, The Mayan Conspiracy is the prefect answer.

This book has it all, based on a Mayan temple and a ruthless expedition to find something hidden but of great value. Two groups wants to have it and the person in charge of the expedition doesn't have the freedom to fail or let the companions know about the true goal of the mission.

First half of the book is slow. In this part, mostly the conspiracies were explai
ফরহাদ আহমদ নিলয়
বইটা পড়ার এক সপতাহ আগেই আমাজনিয়া শেষ করেছি। আমাজান নিয়ে পরপর দুটো অযাডভেঞচার আমাজান সমপরকে আগরহ করমশ বাড়িয়েই তুলছে।

গলপটা ভালই। অনুবাদ বেশ ভাল। শবদের চয়ন যথারথ। অসীম ভাইয়ের কাছে আসা সামনে আরো ভাল কিছু মৌলিক আর অনুবাদ পাব। :)
Sanjida Alam
May 16, 2016 Sanjida Alam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
রেটিং- 5 এ 3.8 দিব আমি।

"সামনের পৃথিবীতে আমরা থাকবো না, থাকবে অনয রকম কেউ।"
(দয মায়ান কনসপিরেসি)

এলিয়েন বিশবাস করেন?
বা অনয গরহে মানুষের বসবাস?
HISTORY TV-তে "Ancient Aliens" নামে একটা পরোগরাম হয়, দেখেন কেউ? দেখতে পারেন, মজার মজার ইনফরমেশন পাবেন। আমার তো দারুণ লাগে!
আচছা, টাইম টরাভেল নিয়ে কি মতামত আপনার? বিশবাস করতে ইচছে করে তাই না? সমভব হতেও তো পারে! অতীতে যে জিনিসগুলো অবাসতব মনে করা হতো, বিজঞান কিনতু আসতে আসতে সবই বাসতব করে দেখাচছে....

আরো কিছু বলতে ইচছে করছে, কিনতু বললেই সপয়লার হয়ে যাবে। :3
থাক পাঠের
Patrick Gibson
What do you get when you cram a book with clichéd plots? Black Rain. The book has rainforests, Mayan ruins, covert operations, mercenaries, time travel, gun fights, helicopter crashes, primitive native tribes, mysterious crystals, hieroglyphics, environmental consciousness, strange creatures, lions and tigers and bears, oh my! (okay, it doesn't have lions and tigers and bears. But hey, since it had everything else, why not throw in the lions and tigers and bears as well?). I guess the author cou ...more
Kathy Davie
Feb 25, 2014 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, thriller
First in the Hawker & Laidlaw thriller series with a heavy dose of horror and revolving around Danielle Laidlaw and Hawker, ex-CIA. This story takes place primarily in Brazil.

Be sure to read the prologue!

My Take
It started off feeling same-same, but things developed into a story I could not put down. It sure kept my heart rate up!

I loved being inside Hawker's head as he analyzes what's happening and the likely reasons for it.

Man, Brown plays his characters well giving them unique personaliti
Michele
Dec 02, 2009 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book on a goodreads giveaway. I set about reading it as soon as I could, so that I could review it. I am so glad that I received this book, one reason is because it sounded so good and I know that my husband will enjoy it too. The title tells the tale this book is a thriller.

It is about Danielle Laidlaw an operative for a CIA type organization called the NRI. Danielle is in Brazil with her partner and mentor Arnold Moore until he is called away by their employer. At which point
Benjamin Thomas
I love discovering new talent, especially in the genres I love to read. "Black Rain" is the first published book by Graham Brown and is written as an adventure/thriller novel with elements of science fiction and horror.

Right off the bat I'll say this is one very good book. It reads like an Indiana Jones adventure but in the present day and with some good solid speculative science weaved into the plot. If you are familiar with novels by James Rollins or Mathew Reilly then you'll have a good idea
Denise
When I first saw the title of this book I thought it would be about the chemical warfare used by the Russians against the Kurds in Afganistan. Much to my surprise when I started reading the book it was about the ancient Mayan superstitions and culture. A group goes into the Amazon to find a new technological breakthrough in power supply. The trials they had to deal with as in most thriller novels are great but the good guys (heros) overcome the obsticles in due course. They did this by coming up ...more
Krbo
Mar 27, 2015 Krbo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Potaknut najavom skorog izlaska prijevoda treće knjige Hawker & Laidlaw dinamičnog dua da obnovim svoju bazu ovdje...

Prava zabavna avanturistička knjižica za odmor mozga.
Bilo da ste na moru, bilo da danima pada dosadna kiša (nadam se ne na moru) s ovim možete uletjeti u dinamičnu avanturu po, uvijek groznom i opasnom, majanskom krajoliku.(uostalom nisu li i te Maje netragom nestale?)

očekujte hrpu uobičajenih klišeja no simpatično složenih, prilično dobro za prvijenac

ima i direktan nastavak k
Shelly
Nov 25, 2009 Shelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book. This book was great! I had a hard time putting it down, very suspensful. I can't wait for the sequel. If you like thrillers combined with some history, then you will love this book.
Wendy
Nov 12, 2009 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the book, couldnt put it down!! action pack adventure that kept me on the edge of my seat!!
S.D.
Mar 15, 2010 S.D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Danielle Laidlaw leads an expedition into the Amazon rainforest. She is part of a government entity working under the radar and does not disclose to the civilians traveling with her the true purpose of her mission. The guise is that they are searching for a legendary Mayan city. The truth is that they are looking for a new power source, a crystal which can be used for cold fusion power. The book starts out slow as the trip is discussed, all characters described and devious plans fleshed out, at ...more
Cindy
Dec 01, 2009 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, own, first-reads
ARC edition.

This was more interesting than I expected! The story is effectively your bog-standard thriller: conspiracies afoot, smart plucky female protagonist, ruggedly handsome outlaw, power-delirious billionaire, shady government agencies, pesky "natives", and plenty of action and bloodshed. What's clever is that Brown has thrown in some CSI/X-files twists which keep the reader guessing as to the true intent. There's even a mysterious monster that behaves a bit like Smokey in Lost.

The writing
Leah
May 05, 2011 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to receive and read this book, it seemed there was a lot of positive "vibe" about it. I admit it, I like mythology books, set in the deep jungle where you are alone, cut off from any assistance from the outside world.

I think the author had a great idea, and the concept was in fact interesting, there were several moving parts to the story, and one would move between the mainly political intrigue in the US to the real action on the ground in the jungle.

I found the pacing to be unev
Andrew
Dec 01, 2009 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This is a pretty good thriller, with some supernatural and scientific elements thrown in. I was surprised, because I was a bit disconcerted by the whole government-agency-in-Brazil-looking-for-Mayan-ruins angle. At the start, it was sounding like a plot from the Dan Brown random plot generator. Major religion: Mayan; location: Brazil; protagonist: beautiful, athletic, go-getter agent; number of competing groups: 3; etc, etc. As the story went on, though, Graham Brown threw in some neat "scientif ...more
Nigel
May 03, 2013 Nigel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I read by Graham Brown, but have read his collaborations with Clive Cussler which I really enjoy, so I started to read this in anticipation. It is a well written and researched book based on Mayen myths, conspiracies, covert government agencies. Set in the Amazon with opposing teams looking for a mythical object that could change the world, loads of action with some interesting if far fetched ideas. I enjoyed this story although it was slow going in places, would I read th ...more
Todd Stockslager
Jun 05, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Mining the same vein of adventure novel with a mysterio-historio-archeological bent that Clive Cussler has worked for years, Brown starts off his career with this slam-bang adventure debut that tops Cussler. I've read a couple of Cusslers, and found the writing too amateurishly breathless and cliched to take seriously. Brown mostly avoids these lapses, with just a few exceptions.

And the story is first rate. It passed the can't-stop test at about the half-way point, and read quickly through to th
Arminion
Aug 04, 2014 Arminion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It was entertaining, relatively fast paced and very cinematographic. It reminded me a little bit of Crichton's Congo, which isn't surprising, since apparently, Brown is his huge fan. And despite the fact that Brown crammed everything he can think of in this book; from armed mercenaries and helicopters to ancient Mayan legends and monsters, it still somehow works. Sure, there are plenty of cliches, but sometimes that's a good thing.
However, I didn't particularly like the charac
Melissa
Dec 11, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Won on first reads. As the world lost a great lady when my wonderful friend, Ramona, just passed away, this review will serve for both of us. She will be dearly missed and cancer will be cursed for taking her from us so young.

Great book for anyone who loves intrigue, suspense and good reading. Not wanting to give away anything I will not go too much into it but I like the way it hints at some of the most interesting times and history of our world.
Bill
Nov 21, 2009 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I enjoyed the book and the characters. The setting in the dense Brazilian jungle and the discovery of ancient Mayan ruins was central to the somewhat dense plot. At times the action was overshadowed by what came across as classroom lectures on Mayan culture and history, human biology, and archaeology. But large parts of the book outweigh my quibbles. It is a good read.
Lori Downing
Feb 23, 2014 Lori Downing rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first thriller that I have ever read, and I have enjoyed it immensely. I loved the fact, the group that was lead into the Amazon was to find something that would and could be used for the future, and was very dangerous to accommodate. I loved the characters. This was a very interesting read and I am looking forward to the sequel. I can't wait.
Linda
Nov 18, 2009 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book. I really enjoyed the Mayan history/folklore, intrigue, and adventure. The characters were very believable, and I cared about them. It read very fast, and I had a hard time putting it down! I could actually see this as a series, or even a film. I highly recommend this book.
Stephen
Apr 10, 2016 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, wow. For being the first book in a series, this one was smoooooth. It introduced the characters, let them have their lead, and off they went. It falls into the jungle/lost relic hunt book genre. I truly feel that it grabbed the genre by the neck, shook, and said, "I AM HERE!"
Bill
Feb 17, 2014 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, thriller
I put this on my sci-fi shelf so to speak but that is a bit of a stretch. It just barely touches on the ideas of Sci-fi. However, it's a fun book and well written. I enjoyed the pacing which added plenty of tension to the tale. The story really does have a mix of Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park to it. The characters are likable thought they are all a little shallowly drawn. Instead of focusing on the characters it seemed like Graham Brown spent his efforts on creating a believable scenario for t ...more
Carolyn
Dec 08, 2009 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lt-early-review
Great book. Suspensful story. Once I started, couldn't put it down. Mayan legends, the past and the future, all had a ring of truth. The beasts scared the living daylights out of me and gave me nightmares. All in all, a story I won't soon forget.
Megan Hansen
This wasn't my type of book, I don't normally get into thrillers. But I will say it was an exciting story and the characters were very human and some of them even likable! If thrillers are your thing, then Black Rain won’t disappoint.
Alexandra Nunney
Apr 01, 2014 Alexandra Nunney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book ended up being right up my alley and left me with a little smile on my face at the end despite the fact that until about the halfway mark I was convinced that this book was only worthy of 3 stars. The last half was a hell of a lot better than the first, it almost seemed like it had been written by a different person. If the whole book had been written in that compelling, exciting and enthralling way then this would definitely have been a 5 star. I can't wait to read the next one in the ...more
Donna
Dec 07, 2009 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book early through Goodreads. Only the flu kept me from reading it right away. It reads like an action adventure movie. Vivid, fast paced, a thoroughly enjoyable read. I highly recommend it.
Diane
Dec 27, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite the thriller! I found myself not wanting to put the book down, but had to at times. It kept me guessing at what would happen next. I enjoyed the plot. Can't wait for the sequel.
Kelly Sermeno
This was an excting, thrilling read!
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter, #1)
  • The Vault (Tyler Locke, #2)
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • The Book of Secrets
  • The Pharos Objective (Morpheus Initiative, #1)
  • Dourado (Dane Maddock #1)
  • The Breach (Travis Chase, #1)
  • The Hunters (The Hunters, #1)
  • Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)
  • The Lost Labyrinth (Daniel Knox, #3)
Graham Brown grew up in Illinois, Connecticut and Pennsylvania, moving often with his family. As far as he knows they weren't in the witness protection program or part of any top secret government agency - but then - would they really tell him?

A former pilot and lawyer and later part of a start up health care firm, Graham decided he hadn't had enough different careers yet and decided to become a
More about Graham Brown...

Hawker & Laidlaw (3 books)
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
  • The Eden Prophecy (Hawker & Laidlaw, #3)

“Odjednom me strah umiranja, a istodobno sam svjestan vlastite smrtnosti. I umjesto da me to natjera da živim, ta mi spoznaja crpi svu radost iz života i, zapravo, više se ne osjećam živim.” 1 likes