Start by marking “The Pearl” as Want to Read:
The Pearl

Angela Elwell Hunt

The Pearl

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  411 ratings  ·  37 reviews

She had the perfect life until the accident. Now science offers an opportunity to replace what she has lost--but at what cost?

Diana and Steve Sheldon had it all--successful careers, nice home, a lovely teenage daughter, an adorable five-year-old son. But when a freak accident ravages their happy family, Diana, a professional radio counselor, finds herself viewing the world

Published (first published February 4th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Pearl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pearl

Libby Sellers
This book deals with the death of the long-awaited child, and the lengths that we will go to to not grieve. To not go through the loss and feel the pain. Period it also deals with the subject of human cloning from a strong Christian worldview. I do think it gets a little preachy in parts, by that I mean it comes on a little too strong whereas I think she could've got her point across in a different way. By letting the character speak versus coming across like a lecture in places. This is only t...more
elliereads
Ingrid Morris
I applaud this author for consistantly writting "higher concept" books for christian readers. There's so much more to life than romance!
Valerie (Val's Vicinity)
Tragedy strikes....five year old Scott dies in an accident, and his shocked family is left grief-stricken. Steve Sheldon knows that his son is now in heaven, and although Steve is heart-broken and often breaks down, he holds to the belief that this was God's will. His wife Diana, host of the Dr. Diana Sheldon radio show, can't accept Scott's death or believe that God had anything to do with it. She and her husband Steve were supposed to be unable to have children of their own, but God gave them...more
booklady
Jul 21, 2009 booklady rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to booklady by: Patti
Shelves: 2009, fiction, health, family
‘The kingdom of heaven is like a merchant searching for fine pearls. When he finds a pearl of great price, he goes and sells all that he has and buys it.’ (Mt 13:45-46)

The title of Angela Hunt’s provocative book, The Pearl, refers to the above parable as well as the oyster’s ability to turn invasive irritation into exquisite creation. Dr. Diana Sheldon is a popular radio psychologist, who seems to have everything and be ‘on top of her game’ as the expression goes; she loves God, her husband, chi...more
Linda
The author approached a very controversial topic. I kept getting upset because Diana couldn't see that her alternative after losing her son was not God's will for anyone, in my opinion. But, she did see the light. Grief can cause all kinds of emotional issues and it is hard to get through the process when someone out there offers you a way, supposedly, to get back what you lost. When we are in that kind of pain we cannot see the harm we could bring upon ourselves and others by going down the wro...more
Lyndi
Lori
I am still enjoying this talented author's imagination and detailed research. This book was good. Again, Hunt presented realistic characters with ethical dilemmas to work through. I love the fact that Hunt presents a Christian worldview. But the main character's cluelessness about herself and her daughter went on a little too long. The ending lightbulb moment/repentance felt rushed and a bit too pat.
April
This book was really interesting in that it explores both moral and spiritual issues, as well as how far is too far to go for something you desperately want. The story centers around the Diana and her family. Diana is a successful radio psychologist. She is married to Steve, a successful dentist, and together they have a teenage daughter, Brittany, and a five-year-old son, Scott. That is until the day that everything changes. Scott is chasing the balloon of another student and accidentally walks...more
Hazel McHaffie
I was intrigued by Anne's review of this book which made me order the book and read it as soon as it arrived. It's trying to do what I try to do - weave ethical challenges into fictional lives.
I liked the way Hunt dealt with the ethical challenge, and she shows a lot of understanding of how human parents react. I was also intrigued by her Christian angle - though I often wanted to disagree with her! But I confess the style of writing irritated me at times. I wanted to edit it! Partly it's an Am...more
Ashley
I enjoyed this novel and it presented real-world issues. Though the whole of The Pearl had a nice storyline, I did not like the ending and that it had a very religious viewpoint. I picked up this book because I love the realistic fiction genre, but did not, at the time, realize how much Christian thought was added. All in all, I enjoyed The Pearl but feel there was so much religious viewpoint shoved into the novel it seemed forced and was slightly off putting.
Alicia
Strange. It was a Christian book and well written but the topic was about cloning. I kept yelling at the main character in the book. I would try another book by this author.
Carolyn
Very interesting original plot.
Another amazing book about grief, loss and choices. How we can be Christians and still not see Jesus lighting our path for use as we are foraging through the valley. I highly recommend this book to all Christian readers and Secular readers as well. It touches the heart of those who have adopted, given birth, lost a loved one, lost a spouse or have tried to walk their won road, only to be on your knees the moment you realize you were walking the wrong way. Amazing things happen then - God picks y...more
Becky
Oh my! What a great find! I just picked this book up on a whim in my small local library one day. SOOO glad I did :) :) This book had me head first into it by the middle of the first chapter. The plot circles around a family who has lost a child and the affects on mainly the wife, but does go into some of the husband plus the other daughter's grief as well. Read, you won't be disappointed!
Kristina
Is it wrong that I expect Christian fiction to be terrible? It's usually somewhat heavy-handed. This one wasn't too bad - I liked the way they portrayed the issue, and human cloning is something that's always a hot topic in modern medicine. There were parts where the plot seemed to drag, but I wanted to finish it...so it couldn't have been too awful.
Amy
Heart wrenching story...don't read it when you're on vacation apart from your children because you'll want to give them an extra hug at the end of every chapter. (I know this because I did read it on vacation...I couldn't put it down, but couldn't wait to love on my kiddos when I got home!)
Kristina
This book was honest, heart wrenching and very well written. I hate to compare authors- but this book reminded me a lot of Jodi Picoult's books. The main characters struggling with events beyond their control and dealing with issues that we can't even imagine having to work through.
Mj
Very unusual...shows how we can twist what we think God wants us to do to give ourselves the go ahead to do something contrary to what He wants...was that a long sentence??? Glad I discovered Angela Hunt..she is a great writer. I want to read all of her THE _____ books.
Christian Tuininga
Well, it's a 3.5 star, really. I almost put three, but then remembered I stayed up until 2am to finish it....so I guess it was pretty decent. :) Not my fav Hunt...but good! Sort of a weird topic, cloning...but I appreciated the real life that was happening throughout the book.
Tanya Brunnelson
What I am enjoying most about this author is that she doesnt shy away from tough issues. At first I thought this book was far fetched, but was stunned to see how much of it was true and already happening. I'm ready to pick up another book by her!
Anne
I loved this book. Could you re-create your lost baby? Would you? It reminded me of My Sister's keeper, although it's a different scenario and this one is about a church going Christian family which I enjoyed particularly.
Carol
Another of the Women of Faith books. The story is about a radio psychologist whose 5 year old son is killed in a freak accident. It shows how she, her husband and 17 year old daughter cope and don't cope with his death.
Extremely thought provoking! Loved the way the author paralleled the mother's behavior with that of the rebellious teenage daughter. Very good book!
Micki
A okay story, a bit weird, but I think I was even more surprised that it was based on true facts (re cloning humans). The world is just weird.
Hope
Feb 13, 2008 Hope rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who read My Sister's Keeper
I read this book the same summer as Jodi Picoult's "My Sister's Keeper". The books have similar themes but have different views.
Linda
grief and faith everyone handles it differently, but not alone. The story, though very possible, was not very interesting.
Ronetta
So far it is very engaging. Makes me think about how I know what God's will is and about the value of life.
Margaret
This book explores the issue of cloning, not as timely as when it was written, but still interesting to me.
Randy
I like the book. It had a lot of information in it. Deals with the loss of a child.
  • Stranded in Paradise
  • A Window to the World
  • Embrace Me
  • What She Left for Me
  • The Sacrifice
  • The Still of Night (A Rush of Wings #2)
  • Time Lottery
  • Norah's Ark
  • The Wedding Machine
  • Flies on the Butter
  • After Anne (Coming Home to Brewster, #1)
  • Tested by Fire
  • The Marriage Wish
  • Midnight Sea (The Aloha Reef Series #4)
Christy-Award winner Angela Hunt writes for readers who have learned to expect the unexpected in novels from this versatile author. With over three million copies of her books sold worldwide, she is the best-selling author of more than 100 works ranging from picture books (The Tale of Three Trees) to novels.

Now that her two children have reached their twenties, Angie and her husband live in Florid...more
More about Angela Elwell Hunt...
The Tale of Three Trees The Note Doesn't She Look Natural (The Fairlawn Series #1) The Debt The Novelist