Start by marking “The Pearl” as Want to Read:
The Pearl

The Pearl

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  517 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
She had the perfect life until the accident. Now science offers an opportunity to replace what she has lost--but at what cost?

Published February 2nd 2003 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about The Pearl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pearl

Ingrid Morris
I applaud this author for consistantly writting "higher concept" books for christian readers. There's so much more to life than romance!
Nora St Laurent
Jul 13, 2015 Nora St Laurent rated it it was amazing
She had the perfect life until the accident.
Diana and Steve Sheldon had it all - successful careers, nice home, a lovely teenage daughter, an adorable five-year old son. But when a freak accident ravages their happy family. Diana a professional radio counselor, finds herself viewing the world through new eyes of grief - and accepting ideas and situations she would have considered unacceptable only a few weeks ago.

This story is very powerful and thought provoking. With the ever evolving changes t
Patsy
Mar 10, 2016 Patsy rated it liked it

Diana and Steve Sheldon had it all--successful careers, nice home, a lovely teenage daughter, an adorable five-year-old son. But when a freak accident ravages their happy family, Diana, a professional radio counselor, finds herself viewing the world through new eyes of grief--and accepting ideas and situations she would have considered unacceptable only a few weeks before
elliereads
Aug 01, 2012 elliereads rated it did not like it
Libby
Dec 13, 2014 Libby rated it liked it
Shelves: scribd
This book deals with the death of the long-awaited child, and the lengths that we will go to to not grieve. To not go through the loss and feel the pain. Period it also deals with the subject of human cloning from a strong Christian worldview. I do think it gets a little preachy in parts, by that I mean it comes on a little too strong whereas I think she could've got her point across in a different way. By letting the character speak versus coming across like a lecture in places. This is only t ...more
Valerie (Val's Vicinity)
Tragedy strikes....five year old Scott dies in an accident, and his shocked family is left grief-stricken. Steve Sheldon knows that his son is now in heaven, and although Steve is heart-broken and often breaks down, he holds to the belief that this was God's will. His wife Diana, host of the Dr. Diana Sheldon radio show, can't accept Scott's death or believe that God had anything to do with it. She and her husband Steve were supposed to be unable to have children of their own, but God gave them ...more
booklady
Jul 21, 2009 booklady rated it really liked it
Recommended to booklady by: Patti
Shelves: family, fiction, health, 2009
‘The kingdom of heaven is like a merchant searching for fine pearls. When he finds a pearl of great price, he goes and sells all that he has and buys it.’ (Mt 13:45-46)

The title of Angela Hunt’s provocative book, The Pearl, refers to the above parable as well as the oyster’s ability to turn invasive irritation into exquisite creation. Dr. Diana Sheldon is a popular radio psychologist, who seems to have everything and be ‘on top of her game’ as the expression goes; she loves God, her husband, chi
Linda
Mar 19, 2014 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author approached a very controversial topic. I kept getting upset because Diana couldn't see that her alternative after losing her son was not God's will for anyone, in my opinion. But, she did see the light. Grief can cause all kinds of emotional issues and it is hard to get through the process when someone out there offers you a way, supposedly, to get back what you lost. When we are in that kind of pain we cannot see the harm we could bring upon ourselves and others by going down the wro ...more
Lyndi
Oct 21, 2009 Lyndi rated it really liked it
Lori
May 24, 2014 Lori rated it liked it
I am still enjoying this talented author's imagination and detailed research. This book was good. Again, Hunt presented realistic characters with ethical dilemmas to work through. I love the fact that Hunt presents a Christian worldview. But the main character's cluelessness about herself and her daughter went on a little too long. The ending lightbulb moment/repentance felt rushed and a bit too pat.
April
Aug 22, 2014 April rated it really liked it
This book was really interesting in that it explores both moral and spiritual issues, as well as how far is too far to go for something you desperately want. The story centers around the Diana and her family. Diana is a successful radio psychologist. She is married to Steve, a successful dentist, and together they have a teenage daughter, Brittany, and a five-year-old son, Scott. That is until the day that everything changes. Scott is chasing the balloon of another student and accidentally walks ...more
Hazel McHaffie
Jul 28, 2009 Hazel McHaffie rated it liked it
I was intrigued by Anne's review of this book which made me order the book and read it as soon as it arrived. It's trying to do what I try to do - weave ethical challenges into fictional lives.
I liked the way Hunt dealt with the ethical challenge, and she shows a lot of understanding of how human parents react. I was also intrigued by her Christian angle - though I often wanted to disagree with her! But I confess the style of writing irritated me at times. I wanted to edit it! Partly it's an Am
Ashley
Aug 27, 2014 Ashley rated it liked it
I enjoyed this novel and it presented real-world issues. Though the whole of The Pearl had a nice storyline, I did not like the ending and that it had a very religious viewpoint. I picked up this book because I love the realistic fiction genre, but did not, at the time, realize how much Christian thought was added. All in all, I enjoyed The Pearl but feel there was so much religious viewpoint shoved into the novel it seemed forced and was slightly off putting.
Alicia
Sep 14, 2014 Alicia rated it it was ok
Strange. It was a Christian book and well written but the topic was about cloning. I kept yelling at the main character in the book. I would try another book by this author.
Amy Roelant
Jan 18, 2016 Amy Roelant rated it liked it
Radio host loses son to accident and wants to clone him. Seperates from husband to do so. A little to out there of a book for me and I usually like this author.
Kim Dempsey
I found this book a bit strange. It had a Christian undertone, so I thought I'd really like it, however the first 90% of the book was almost to unbelievable for me. Maybe because I've lost a child I found it offensive? I don't know, I just didn't jive with this one. Cloning? I mean come on. The ending was very predictable, but a good reminder for those who need to sharpen up on their history of the story of Job. Not a bad read, but just not my cup of tea.
Elizabeth Ray
Jun 11, 2016 Elizabeth Ray rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and the issues it brought up
Carolyn
Aug 26, 2014 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Very interesting original plot.
Sep 19, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book about grief, loss and choices. How we can be Christians and still not see Jesus lighting our path for use as we are foraging through the valley. I highly recommend this book to all Christian readers and Secular readers as well. It touches the heart of those who have adopted, given birth, lost a loved one, lost a spouse or have tried to walk their won road, only to be on your knees the moment you realize you were walking the wrong way. Amazing things happen then - God picks y ...more
chelsey
May 26, 2015 chelsey rated it did not like it
Ugh I wish I would have quit reading this book. The first 40% was good and then it was all down hill from there and just annoying!
Becky
Sep 29, 2009 Becky rated it it was amazing
Oh my! What a great find! I just picked this book up on a whim in my small local library one day. SOOO glad I did :) :) This book had me head first into it by the middle of the first chapter. The plot circles around a family who has lost a child and the affects on mainly the wife, but does go into some of the husband plus the other daughter's grief as well. Read, you won't be disappointed!
Kristina
May 10, 2012 Kristina rated it liked it
Is it wrong that I expect Christian fiction to be terrible? It's usually somewhat heavy-handed. This one wasn't too bad - I liked the way they portrayed the issue, and human cloning is something that's always a hot topic in modern medicine. There were parts where the plot seemed to drag, but I wanted to finish it...so it couldn't have been too awful.
Amy
Aug 03, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Heart wrenching story...don't read it when you're on vacation apart from your children because you'll want to give them an extra hug at the end of every chapter. (I know this because I did read it on vacation...I couldn't put it down, but couldn't wait to love on my kiddos when I got home!)
Kristina
Jul 24, 2012 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: saucon-library
This book was honest, heart wrenching and very well written. I hate to compare authors- but this book reminded me a lot of Jodi Picoult's books. The main characters struggling with events beyond their control and dealing with issues that we can't even imagine having to work through.
Mj
Sep 27, 2012 Mj rated it really liked it
Shelves: angela-hunt
Very unusual...shows how we can twist what we think God wants us to do to give ourselves the go ahead to do something contrary to what He wants...was that a long sentence??? Glad I discovered Angela Hunt..she is a great writer. I want to read all of her THE _____ books.
Christian Tuininga
Jun 28, 2013 Christian Tuininga rated it really liked it
Well, it's a 3.5 star, really. I almost put three, but then remembered I stayed up until 2am to finish it....so I guess it was pretty decent. :) Not my fav Hunt...but good! Sort of a weird topic, cloning...but I appreciated the real life that was happening throughout the book.
Tanya Brunnelson
Sep 01, 2012 Tanya Brunnelson rated it really liked it
What I am enjoying most about this author is that she doesnt shy away from tough issues. At first I thought this book was far fetched, but was stunned to see how much of it was true and already happening. I'm ready to pick up another book by her!
Anne
Jul 02, 2009 Anne rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Could you re-create your lost baby? Would you? It reminded me of My Sister's keeper, although it's a different scenario and this one is about a church going Christian family which I enjoyed particularly.
Carol
Dec 15, 2008 Carol rated it it was amazing
Another of the Women of Faith books. The story is about a radio psychologist whose 5 year old son is killed in a freak accident. It shows how she, her husband and 17 year old daughter cope and don't cope with his death.
April Brown
Dec 31, 2015 April Brown rated it really liked it
I had forgotten how much I like this author. I had read one of her books a while back. Interesting read & topic as this book deals with cloning.
  • Stranded in Paradise
  • RV There Yet?: A Women of Faith Fiction Novel
  • Not By Chance (A Seaport Suspense Novel, #4)
  • Gardenias for Breakfast
  • Quaker Summer
  • Sandpebbles
  • The Perfect Life
  • The Wedding Machine
  • Flies on the Butter
  • If I Gained the World (Second Chances Collection, #4)
  • Falling for You Again
  • Covenant Child: A Story of Promises Kept
  • Norah's Ark
  • My Life as a Doormat (In Three Acts)
  • Solemnly Swear
  • Midnight Sea (Aloha Reef #4)
Christy-Award winner Angela Hunt writes for readers who have learned to expect the unexpected in novels from this versatile author. With over three million copies of her books sold worldwide, she is the best-selling author of more than 100 works ranging from picture books (The Tale of Three Trees) to novels.

Now that her two children have reached their thirties, Angie and her husband live in Florid
More about Angela Elwell Hunt...