Start by marking “Signed, Sealed, and Delivered: The Soulful Journey of Stevie Wonder” as Want to Read:
Signed, Sealed, and Delivered: The Soulful Journey of Stevie Wonder

Signed, Sealed, and Delivered: The Soulful Journey of Stevie Wonder

3.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  37 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The first definitive biography of music legend Stevie WonderStevie Wonder's achievements as a singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and producer are extraordinary. During a career that has spanned almost fifty years, he has earned more than thirty Top 10 hits, twenty-six Grammy Awards, and a place in both the Rock and Roll and Songwriter Halls of Fame—and he's not fini ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Wiley (first published March 25th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Signed, Sealed, and Delivered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Signed, Sealed, and Delivered

SPL120
Jul 02, 2010 SPL120 rated it it was ok
Sentence after sentence is cliché after cliché.

I read this just before Stevie's 60th birthday in May, which this is meant to honor. It provides a great view of his early life adding much needed perspective toward understanding the artist and his success. But the writing is rather painful and at times it will make you want to give up on the author.

Only recommended for the serious fan.
Dan
Sep 17, 2015 Dan rated it did not like it
Full disclosure: I did not finish this book. I couldn't. It was terrible.
Here's an opportunity to write about one of the most influential and original artists of the 20th century and the author makes it murky, quirky and just plain dull. Doesn't this guy (Ribowsky) have an editor? Did the publisher just dump this thing onto the market knowing it was hopeless? Read the folowing and see what I mean:
"Such an involuntarily residual attachment may well have been why all the songs Stevie had had (sic)
Justin
This biography of Stevie Wonder had the potential to live up to it's highly critical introductory preface, but somewhere midway through, it failed to capitalize on that promise. Still a good introduction to Stevie Wonder fans, new or veteran, it could have sustained a more critical (scholarly) assessment of Wonder's work than reprinting or printing some of the fanfare of Wonder's life. No doubt his life IS an American accomplishment, but "Signed, Sealed, Delivered: The Soulful Journey of Stevie ...more
Genevieve Goldstein
Feb 02, 2014 Genevieve Goldstein rated it really liked it
Stevie Wonder has so many things happening before his eyes, even though he is blind. When SW's contract with Motown was over, he didn't renew it the contract, he went to New York and found another music industry. He made a album with over 30 songs on it, and named it The Talking Book. His first award / or Grammy was for the song. " Signed, Sealed, and Delivered, I'm Yours" he had his first kid Aisha Wonder with his second wife. He wrote over 100 songs for himself and other singers. He still has ...more
David Kravetz
May 31, 2015 David Kravetz rated it did not like it
Well, that was horrible. Just a lazily written collection of previously published articles, gripes from 3-former employees and 'research' from (I assume) the author's previous book about Barry Gordy and Motown. Next to no insight on the creation or inspirations behind Stevie's music - the author can't even be bothered to get the order of Stevie's seminal 70's albums correct. A waste of money and time.
David
Jan 21, 2016 David rated it liked it
Signed, Sealed, and Delivered: the Soulful Journey of Stevie Wonder by Mark Ribowski (John Wiley and Sons Inc. 2010)(780.92). Of interest principally as to why he tanked at the height of his fame in the 80’s. It turns out that he believed his own press clippings and fired his synthesizer gurus. My rating: 5/10, finished 9/1/2010.
Mishy
Feb 03, 2015 Mishy rated it did not like it
I am struggling to get through this book. Being a biography, it seems fairly impersonal and dry - it focuses more on the evils of Motown as a record company, than about Stevie's life or perception of events. I will have to finish it, as I can't leave books unread. What a chore though... eurgh.
Taylor
Feb 16, 2011 Taylor rated it liked it
A good account of Stevie's musical career, particularly the early days and his career explosion in the mid-70s. The 80s, 90s and 00's pass by pretty quickly. Lots of typos and a few incorrect dates. I think Ribowsky's editor was asleep at times. But overall I learned a lot about Stevie Wonder.
Lanette
Jul 19, 2010 Lanette rated it it was amazing
Everything I always wanted to know and never knew about Stevie Wonder and how he created his music. This book serves as a wonderful volume of music criticism as well as a biography.
Mark Ribowsky writes in a sophisticated, concise style, yet makes it easy for the reader to follow along.
Dolores Johnson
Feb 03, 2011 Dolores Johnson rated it it was ok
I question Mr. Ribowsky's use of language in some instances (goes in and out of slang). And Mr. Wonder is still alive. I wish there was more input (quotes) from the subject of this biography.
Ruthie
Jul 10, 2010 Ruthie rated it liked it
Being a Stevie Wonder fan, I enjoyed the book overall but the author could have said it with less. It felt like he was impressed with himself for writing and just went on and on.
Michael
May 20, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
Finished long ago lol
Jill Keller-Hunt
Jill Keller-Hunt rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Amy Windoffer
Amy Windoffer is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2016
Kiof
Kiof added it
Mar 12, 2016
Maya Hollinshead
Maya Hollinshead marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
D'armous
D'armous marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Lane Willson
Lane Willson rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
XAVIER
XAVIER is currently reading it
Jan 02, 2016
Lesliereads
Lesliereads marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Molly Zucchet
Molly Zucchet marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Alec Patton
Alec Patton marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Durell Anthony
Durell Anthony rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mark Ribowsky is the author of seven books, including the New York Times Notable Book Don't Look Back: Satchel Paige in the Shadows of Baseball. He lives in Plainview, New York.
More about Mark Ribowsky...