Start by marking “The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning” as Want to Read:
The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning

The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The Bogleheads are back-with retirement planning advice for those who need it!Whatever your current financial situation, you must continue to strive for a viable retirement plan by finding the most effective ways to save, the best accounts to save in, and the right amount to save, as well as understanding how to insure against setbacks and handle the uncertainties of a sha ...more
Published September 24th 2009 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning

Jeff
More of a focus on later stage retirement with lots of good info for those in that age range.
David Gray
I really wanted to like this book because as a financial planner I am a big fan of the philosophy behind the "Bogleheads." Named after John Bogle, founder of The Vanguard Group, these people beleive in the power of controlling their own investments and seeking low-cost ways to do so.

The problems I had with the book were two-fold. The first is that since it is written by a team (with each section written by a different person) it felt uneven to me, with some sections more focused and better prese
Patti
This book was a great comprehensive reference - easy to understand, thorough and accessible. Some reviewers have complained that the recommendations are one-sided in favor of John Bogle's invenstment philosophy and Vanguard Group Mutual Funds. I believe that this should have been a clear expectation, given the title of the book - obviously the writers clearly affiliate themsleves with his thinking on the matter.

The only thing I thought was lacking (and maybe shows the major reason that I was rea
Michael
Though I don't intend to retire in the foreseeable future, it's never too early to think about it and to plan ahead. This book is a soup-to-nuts guide to just about every issue dealing with retirement, including side issues such as planning for long-term care, how divorce affects retirement planning, and estate management.

The book is a group collaboration of the Bogleheads (www.bogleheads.org), a group of investors who follow the investment philosophy of John Bogle. Bogle is the inventor of the
Daniel
The only book I've read about financial planning, or really anything having to do with money. It was eminently readable, with all chapters written for lay public about taxes, investment accounts, insurance, estate planning, etc. It changed the way I look at the future with regard to investing and retirement, making good on the claim that when I was done, I would know more about it than 99% of Americans.
Mike Wallace
Disappointing. Each chapter being contributed by a different member of the Bogleheads community, this book is more uneven than The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing. Still there is some good material here, and it is worth a read.
Chris
I agree with the three star reviews regarding the unevenness but gave it four stars because the information is of a necessity broadly presented to a wide readership. I do agree, however, that since it was published in 2009 many things have been and are currently being adjusted tax-wise (2013). The basis is solid, and I think most will benefit from this. I've been a Jack Bogle fan since my company started with a Vanguard 401-k program years ago. Expenses are anathema to long term investors, and J ...more
K Jordan
Informative and useful

I'm an experienced investor yet I still found valuable nuggets. The book covers all investment aspects of life. I'd easily recommend this book to others.
Shane
I thought this book gave a very good overview of the possible investment strategies for retirement. Parts of it were a bit over my head, mostly because of some technical jargon, but I'm sure if I actually had the time to study each chapter 2-3 times, I could know more than 99 percent of people who haven't read such a book would know about retirement planning. As it is, I probably know more now than 90 percent--simply because I did a quick reading of this book.
Rebecca
Pretty good book. Focused heavily on those getting close to retirement, which I am not, but I still learned a few new things. The book was just right for my level of knowledge, some repetition of what I already know and some new things.With the ACA, the healthcare chapter is out of date and the get to know the bogleheads could be skipped, but other than that a solid advice book.
Andy
Excellent addition to your Bogle-centric investing library. Read and prepare.
Tom
The writing can be a little dry but let's face it, this is a dry topic. I give it 4 stars because it has lots of solid information and practical advice and can serve as a useful reference on a variety of topics.
Matt Finnigan
Matt Finnigan marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Halston Beggs
Halston Beggs marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Don Miller
Don Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Lawrence Mulligan
Lawrence Mulligan is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2015
John Kuzmick
John Kuzmick is currently reading it
Jan 13, 2015
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Vaughan W Inman
Vaughan W Inman is currently reading it
Jan 10, 2015
John Kavanaugh
John Kavanaugh marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Patrick Irish
Patrick Irish marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Varina Carriveau
Varina Carriveau is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2015
  • All about Asset Allocation
  • Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor
  • The Four Pillars of Investing: Lessons for Building a Winning Portfolio
  • The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
  • Unconventional Success: A Fundamental Approach to Personal Investment
  • Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes And How To Correct Them: Lessons From The New Science Of Behavioral Economics
  • Winning the Loser's Game: Timeless Strategies for Successful Investing
  • Work Less, Live More: The Way to Semi-Retirement
  • The Random Walk Guide to Investing: Ten Rules for Financial Success
  • Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties
  • Early Retirement Extreme: A Philosphical and Practical Guide to Financial Independence
  • Your Money and Your Brain
  • The Five Rules for Successful Stock Investing: Morningstar's Guide to Building Wealth and Winning in the Market
  • Stocks for the Long Run
  • Generation Earn: The Young Professional's Guide to Spending, Investing, and Giving Back
  • Mutual Funds For Dummies
  • Devil Take the Hindmost:  A History of Financial Speculation
  • A History of Modern Europe: From the Renaissance to the Present
The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

“To maximize the return of your taxable account, you want to minimize the taxes you pay.” 0 likes