The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning

The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The Bogleheads are back-with retirement planning advice for those who need it!Whatever your current financial situation, you must continue to strive for a viable retirement plan by finding the most effective ways to save, the best accounts to save in, and the right amount to save, as well as understanding how to insure against setbacks and handle the uncertainties of a sha...more
Published September 24th 2009 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 2009)

Jeff
More of a focus on later stage retirement with lots of good info for those in that age range.
David Gray
I really wanted to like this book because as a financial planner I am a big fan of the philosophy behind the "Bogleheads." Named after John Bogle, founder of The Vanguard Group, these people beleive in the power of controlling their own investments and seeking low-cost ways to do so.

The problems I had with the book were two-fold. The first is that since it is written by a team (with each section written by a different person) it felt uneven to me, with some sections more focused and better prese...more
Patti
This book was a great comprehensive reference - easy to understand, thorough and accessible. Some reviewers have complained that the recommendations are one-sided in favor of John Bogle's invenstment philosophy and Vanguard Group Mutual Funds. I believe that this should have been a clear expectation, given the title of the book - obviously the writers clearly affiliate themsleves with his thinking on the matter.

The only thing I thought was lacking (and maybe shows the major reason that I was rea...more
Michael
Though I don't intend to retire in the foreseeable future, it's never too early to think about it and to plan ahead. This book is a soup-to-nuts guide to just about every issue dealing with retirement, including side issues such as planning for long-term care, how divorce affects retirement planning, and estate management.

The book is a group collaboration of the Bogleheads (www.bogleheads.org), a group of investors who follow the investment philosophy of John Bogle. Bogle is the inventor of the...more
Daniel
The only book I've read about financial planning, or really anything having to do with money. It was eminently readable, with all chapters written for lay public about taxes, investment accounts, insurance, estate planning, etc. It changed the way I look at the future with regard to investing and retirement, making good on the claim that when I was done, I would know more about it than 99% of Americans.
Chris
I agree with the three star reviews regarding the unevenness but gave it four stars because the information is of a necessity broadly presented to a wide readership. I do agree, however, that since it was published in 2009 many things have been and are currently being adjusted tax-wise (2013). The basis is solid, and I think most will benefit from this. I've been a Jack Bogle fan since my company started with a Vanguard 401-k program years ago. Expenses are anathema to long term investors, and J...more
K Jordan
Informative and useful

I'm an experienced investor yet I still found valuable nuggets. The book covers all investment aspects of life. I'd easily recommend this book to others.
Shane
I thought this book gave a very good overview of the possible investment strategies for retirement. Parts of it were a bit over my head, mostly because of some technical jargon, but I'm sure if I actually had the time to study each chapter 2-3 times, I could know more than 99 percent of people who haven't read such a book would know about retirement planning. As it is, I probably know more now than 90 percent--simply because I did a quick reading of this book.
Tom
The writing can be a little dry but let's face it, this is a dry topic. I give it 4 stars because it has lots of solid information and practical advice and can serve as a useful reference on a variety of topics.
Mike
Mike is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Jin
Jin marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Jason
Jason is currently reading it
Mar 23, 2014
Jennifer Dazzo
Jennifer Dazzo marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Marcus Williams
Marcus Williams marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2014
Ricardo
Ricardo marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Madeline
Madeline marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Christa Johnson
Christa Johnson is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2014
Eric Heiden
Eric Heiden marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

“To maximize the return of your taxable account, you want to minimize the taxes you pay.” 0 likes