The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning

The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The Bogleheads are back-with retirement planning advice for those who need it!Whatever your current financial situation, you must continue to strive for a viable retirement plan by finding the most effective ways to save, the best accounts to save in, and the right amount to save, as well as understanding how to insure against setbacks and handle the uncertainties of a sha...more
Published September 24th 2009 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning

Jeff
More of a focus on later stage retirement with lots of good info for those in that age range.
David Gray
I really wanted to like this book because as a financial planner I am a big fan of the philosophy behind the "Bogleheads." Named after John Bogle, founder of The Vanguard Group, these people beleive in the power of controlling their own investments and seeking low-cost ways to do so.

The problems I had with the book were two-fold. The first is that since it is written by a team (with each section written by a different person) it felt uneven to me, with some sections more focused and better prese...more
Patti
This book was a great comprehensive reference - easy to understand, thorough and accessible. Some reviewers have complained that the recommendations are one-sided in favor of John Bogle's invenstment philosophy and Vanguard Group Mutual Funds. I believe that this should have been a clear expectation, given the title of the book - obviously the writers clearly affiliate themsleves with his thinking on the matter.

The only thing I thought was lacking (and maybe shows the major reason that I was rea...more
Michael
Though I don't intend to retire in the foreseeable future, it's never too early to think about it and to plan ahead. This book is a soup-to-nuts guide to just about every issue dealing with retirement, including side issues such as planning for long-term care, how divorce affects retirement planning, and estate management.

The book is a group collaboration of the Bogleheads (www.bogleheads.org), a group of investors who follow the investment philosophy of John Bogle. Bogle is the inventor of the...more
Daniel
The only book I've read about financial planning, or really anything having to do with money. It was eminently readable, with all chapters written for lay public about taxes, investment accounts, insurance, estate planning, etc. It changed the way I look at the future with regard to investing and retirement, making good on the claim that when I was done, I would know more about it than 99% of Americans.
Chris
I agree with the three star reviews regarding the unevenness but gave it four stars because the information is of a necessity broadly presented to a wide readership. I do agree, however, that since it was published in 2009 many things have been and are currently being adjusted tax-wise (2013). The basis is solid, and I think most will benefit from this. I've been a Jack Bogle fan since my company started with a Vanguard 401-k program years ago. Expenses are anathema to long term investors, and J...more
K Jordan
Informative and useful

I'm an experienced investor yet I still found valuable nuggets. The book covers all investment aspects of life. I'd easily recommend this book to others.
Shane
I thought this book gave a very good overview of the possible investment strategies for retirement. Parts of it were a bit over my head, mostly because of some technical jargon, but I'm sure if I actually had the time to study each chapter 2-3 times, I could know more than 99 percent of people who haven't read such a book would know about retirement planning. As it is, I probably know more now than 90 percent--simply because I did a quick reading of this book.
Tom
The writing can be a little dry but let's face it, this is a dry topic. I give it 4 stars because it has lots of solid information and practical advice and can serve as a useful reference on a variety of topics.
Elliot
Elliot marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Virginia
Virginia marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Ron
Ron marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Ava Guerrero
Ava Guerrero is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2014
Rmichno
Rmichno marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

“To maximize the return of your taxable account, you want to minimize the taxes you pay.” 0 likes