Start by marking “The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning” as Want to Read:
The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning

The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning

The Bogleheads are back-with retirement planning advice for those who need it! Whatever your current financial situation, you must continue to strive for a viable retirement plan by finding the most effective ways to save, the best accounts to save in, and the right amount to save, as well as understanding how to insure against setbacks and handle the uncertainties of a ...more
Published September 24th 2009 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning

Noah Sanchez
Jun 20, 2015 Noah Sanchez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a GREAT book for those about to retire (or in retirement), not for those planning 10 or more years earlier. It's designed in everyday language and doesn't resort to generalities, for the most part. Centered around a sound investment philosophy put forth by John Bogle, the Bogleheads apply strategy to this philosophy in the investment realm.

Another great aspect is the book is set up in easy-to-reference sections to be referred to from time to time, making a great reference book.

The reaso
Jeff
May 31, 2011 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a focus on later stage retirement with lots of good info for those in that age range.
John Lewis
Nov 29, 2016 John Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential!
Michael
Though I don't intend to retire in the foreseeable future, it's never too early to think about it and to plan ahead. This book is a soup-to-nuts guide to just about every issue dealing with retirement, including side issues such as planning for long-term care, how divorce affects retirement planning, and estate management.

The book is a group collaboration of the Bogleheads (www.bogleheads.org), a group of investors who follow the investment philosophy of John Bogle. Bogle is the inventor of the
Patti
Jan 27, 2013 Patti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great comprehensive reference - easy to understand, thorough and accessible. Some reviewers have complained that the recommendations are one-sided in favor of John Bogle's invenstment philosophy and Vanguard Group Mutual Funds. I believe that this should have been a clear expectation, given the title of the book - obviously the writers clearly affiliate themsleves with his thinking on the matter.

The only thing I thought was lacking (and maybe shows the major reason that I was rea
David Gray
I really wanted to like this book because as a financial planner I am a big fan of the philosophy behind the "Bogleheads." Named after John Bogle, founder of The Vanguard Group, these people beleive in the power of controlling their own investments and seeking low-cost ways to do so.

The problems I had with the book were two-fold. The first is that since it is written by a team (with each section written by a different person) it felt uneven to me, with some sections more focused and better prese
Cathy
This books covers a large variety of topics related to retirement planning. I'd say the first half of the book about the different types of savings accounts and retirement plans and how to manage/invest is most relevant to younger readers, with the latter half of the book geared towards older readers near retirement who are faced with a deadline to finalize the details of their retirement withdrawals and estate planning. I didn't pay as much attention to those sections since things could change ...more
Elliot
Oct 24, 2015 Elliot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book is mostly written for people much closer to retirement than I am, I knew that before starting it and therefore can't count it against the book. I would recommend the Bogleheads Guide to Investing over this book for those that are still 10+ years from retirement, but anyone will learn useful things from this book, as it goes through a ton of topics, from the basic ways to invest well to much more complicated topics like living wills, what accounts to maximize in what order, how to ...more
Chris
Jan 15, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I agree with the three star reviews regarding the unevenness but gave it four stars because the information is of a necessity broadly presented to a wide readership. I do agree, however, that since it was published in 2009 many things have been and are currently being adjusted tax-wise (2013). The basis is solid, and I think most will benefit from this. I've been a Jack Bogle fan since my company started with a Vanguard 401-k program years ago. Expenses are anathema to long term investors, and ...more
Daniel
Feb 01, 2014 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only book I've read about financial planning, or really anything having to do with money. It was eminently readable, with all chapters written for lay public about taxes, investment accounts, insurance, estate planning, etc. It changed the way I look at the future with regard to investing and retirement, making good on the claim that when I was done, I would know more about it than 99% of Americans.
Jun 20, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually found the bogleheads forum months before I ever read this book and had already implemented most of the practices, so most of this book was a review. However I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a secure retirement to read this book as it is an excellent guide. This book makes a great gift for young people just starting their careers so they start off on solid financial footing.
Shane
Apr 11, 2012 Shane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book gave a very good overview of the possible investment strategies for retirement. Parts of it were a bit over my head, mostly because of some technical jargon, but I'm sure if I actually had the time to study each chapter 2-3 times, I could know more than 99 percent of people who haven't read such a book would know about retirement planning. As it is, I probably know more now than 90 percent--simply because I did a quick reading of this book.
Mike Wallace
Disappointing. Each chapter being contributed by a different member of the Bogleheads community, this book is more uneven than The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing. Still there is some good material here, and it is worth a read.
Daniel
Sep 27, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: get-from-library
This book should have been title "The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning in America" as while the Bogleheads' concepts apply globally much of this book relates specifically to American regulations.
Nevertheless it is a great book that is very thorough and worth reading for anyone from beginners to experienced investors and financial planners.
Rebecca
Jul 14, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book. Focused heavily on those getting close to retirement, which I am not, but I still learned a few new things. The book was just right for my level of knowledge, some repetition of what I already know and some new things.With the ACA, the healthcare chapter is out of date and the get to know the bogleheads could be skipped, but other than that a solid advice book.
KJ
Nov 16, 2015 KJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book I've read to learn what I can to help my mother with her retirement. It's very "mealy" in that it is dense with information. It's good if you have a specific situation you need a starting point for. Good stuff.
Tom
Sep 10, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing can be a little dry but let's face it, this is a dry topic. I give it 4 stars because it has lots of solid information and practical advice and can serve as a useful reference on a variety of topics.
K Jordan
Informative and useful

I'm an experienced investor yet I still found valuable nuggets. The book covers all investment aspects of life. I'd easily recommend this book to others.
Sid
Sid rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Guy
Guy rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2016
Jas497
Jas497 rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
August
August rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
May 28, 2013
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2010
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2014
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2011
Erik Barthel
Erik Barthel rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Ina Necesito
Ina Necesito rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Stevie
Stevie rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Ruby D
Ruby D rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • All about Asset Allocation
  • The Random Walk Guide to Investing: Ten Rules for Financial Success
  • Bogle On Mutual Funds: New Perspectives for the Intelligent Investor
  • The Only Guide to a Winning Investment Strategy You'll Ever Need: The Way Smart Money Preserves Wealth Today
  • The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
  • The Four Pillars of Investing
  • The New Coffeehouse Investor
  • Unconventional Success: A Fundamental Approach to Personal Investment
  • The Bond Book: Everything Investors Need to Know about Treasuries, Municipals, GNMAs, Corporates, Zeros, Bond Funds, Money Market Funds, and More
  • Making the Most of Your Money Now (Revised)
  • Winning the Loser's Game: Timeless Strategies for Successful Investing
  • Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes - And How to Correct Them: Lessons from the New Science of Behavioral Economics
  • The Power to Prosper: 21 Days to Financial Freedom
  • Stocks for the Long Run
  • Mutual Funds For Dummies
  • Work Less, Live More: The Way to Semi-Retirement
  • The Little Book of Main Street Money: 21 Simple Truths That Help Real People Make Real Money
  • Early Retirement Extreme: A Philosphical and Practical Guide to Financial Independence

“To maximize the return of your taxable account, you want to minimize the taxes you pay.” 0 likes