Start by marking “The Madness Of A Seduced Woman” as Want to Read:
The Madness Of A Seduced Woman

The Madness Of A Seduced Woman

Agnes is on her way to Montpelier, when she sees a young man rescue a girl from a burning building. Agnes falls in love with this man, a local stonecutter, but the hero is also a betrayer, the apex of a triangle that eventually leads Agnes to commit murder.
Published March 8th 1985 by Pan Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Madness Of A Seduced Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Madness Of A Seduced Woman

Lori
I read this many years ago and it has stayed with me. A tale of how obsessive love can poison a person. Characters who stay with me for decades are rare. These characters did.
Karin Slaughter
Apr 07, 2014 Karin Slaughter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I re-read this book recently and was blown away all over again. I seldom re-read because I tend to remember details too sharply, but for some reason this one still surprised me. I was so immersed in the character's psyche that the rest of the world became completely blocked out (thanks, cat, for scaring the crap out of me)

I guess you could say the story is kind of like one Flannery O'Connor might have written had she gotten older and writing so frankly about sex became more acceptable. Then agai
Mary Lynne
Aug 30, 2011 Mary Lynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book over 25 years ago. The pictures created and emotions felt have stayed with me like no other book. The subject of obsessive love that cast you into its spell!
Jeff Barry
May 08, 2010 Jeff Barry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extraordinary novel. Has stayed in my mind for years after reading it.
Sandra
Sep 01, 2012 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: narrativa
Ho dato 4 stelle a questo libro solo perché si è riscattato nel finale. Se le merita perché ha avuto il pregio di tenermi incollata alle ultime 200 pagine.
Facendo una valutazione complessiva, credo che quasi 700 pagine siano troppe, ci sono pagine che, a mio parere, sono superflue nelle descrizioni, come se la scrittrice amasse sentirsi parlare. Perché scrive bene Susan Fromberg Schaeffer, con uno stile ricco e poetico, riflessivo e pacato.
Nella copertina è scritto “una struggente storia d’amore
Rick Urban
Aug 07, 2011 Rick Urban rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books stays with me 20 years after I read it. A truly amazing story.
Jenny
Jun 01, 2007 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: distraught young women and women who are no longer in danger of being distraught
sort of a cautionary tale, I'd say, about throwing yourself into someone so much that you lose yourself. replete with lots of emotional outbursts and one of those old school abortions that took place on a dirty mattress long before Roe v. Wade. but the guy is a dick for sure, so you can really understand that he made her crazy.

if anyone has read this book and also Margaret Atwood's 'Alias Grace' they should tell me because I want to know how similar the plots are. when I read the book flap of th
Kat
Dec 03, 2014 Kat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing,totally amazing book I am in pieces I don't think I will ever be able to forget it I don't have words enough to praise the wonderful writing and feelings described in the book,what a fantastic portrayal of mental anguish and obsession it certainly wrung out every emotion in me and oh how I felt so deeply for Agnes, totally captivating ..5 stars and more
Betsy Ross
Best book I have ever read. Haunting alive and real. A true psychological portrait of how a young innocent can, in the right circumstances, fall over the edge with no return. I cherish this book. Made me a true devotee of SFS. So sad when I learned of her death.
Elizabeth
Jul 18, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous, this book catches you up in its velvet wind. A startling tragedy with an amazing heroine.
Emma
I can't give this book a rating because my conscience says if I did not finish it, then I can't fairly judge it but I picked this book up, hoping to get lost in a dark, emotive, creepy story and, unfortunately, just ended up getting bored and distracted by other books on my TBR pile. After two attempts to finish it, I have to admit defeat. Some of the description was lovely and occasionally I got hints of the complexity I was looking for but the pace was just too slow and I felt no real connecti ...more
K.Z. Snow
Mar 28, 2011 K.Z. Snow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the few books I've read that wouldn't get out of my head after I'd finished it.
Paula
Jul 15, 2012 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This, one of Fromberg Schaeffer's early novels, may well be her best. In the guise of an old-fashioned-appearing love story, its first 3/4ths actually explore our relation to life and mortality and love from our first recognitions that we must sometime die, our early empathy with all, human an animal, around us, our later struggles for love, and our giving of love, to--in the book's last quarter--a meditation, really, on time and inner change, on the self and proportion and the temporality of me ...more
Steph
Mar 15, 2013 Steph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It's an awesome story set in my hood and there's a ton of historical detail (which is likely the boring part for you folks who aren't from here...) which made it all the better. I love that it encompasses all that can go so wrong by being so sheltered and throwing your whole life to another person to hold in their hands. I recommend this book to any woman who has ever done something stupid or regrettable in the name of love. It has a kind redemptive quality for you as the read ...more
Helga
Jan 06, 2013 Helga rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oddly compelling, despite THE most irritating protagonist ever.
It was beautifully written, which is probably the main reason I stuck with it.
That, and a wild hope the wretched girl, Agnes, would realise what an idiot she was being. She did sort of redeem herself,and that was the only time in the whole book I felt anything other than loathing and annoyance towards her.I have never experienced a book quite like it.
I don't think I would recommend it to anyone!
Phoolani
Jan 05, 2012 Phoolani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really almost defeated me; the only thing that kept me going was the fact that I'd got so far into it, I had to finish it (I've given up on only two or three books ever). And I was really glad I did. The heroine, whilst well and sympathetically written had annoyed the life out of me at times, but in the last half of the book, I grew to love her and really understand her. In the end it was a most affecting book. If you're half way through, don't give up!
Linda Lou McCall
This is probably one of the best books I've ever read in lifetime which includes over 10,000 titles. I read it in the early 1980s when it was first published. Yet, for some reason, the story still stays in my soul over 30 years later. I don't know why.......
Lauren
Aug 01, 2011 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have ever read! Brilliant.
Donna
Jan 16, 2009 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All time favourite - I've read it a number of times.
Talia
Jul 27, 2007 Talia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most women
Shelves: favorite-books
AMAZING! I felt every moment of this book inside myself. Tragic, but wonderful. I saw myself and many women inside this character, and felt horrified but awed by what it showed me about myself....
Kelly
Oct 20, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my all time #1 rated book and I will never forget the gripping story. Keep reading as the book doesn't draw you in until chapter 10 and then you won't be able to put it down.
Velvetink
Dec 26, 2010 Velvetink rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* Inherited from Mum's shelves.
Molly
Feb 04, 2017 Molly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"I don't read books much anymore because I don't much care about how things turn out; they either turn out well or badly, and if the authors are at all truthful, they don't turn out very well or very badly. What interests me, I suppose, is how people get to where they find themselves in the end. I used to think I was interested in how lives turned out because curiosity was the last of the passions to die, but now I think there's more to it than that. I suppose I still want to know if my life ha ...more
Anna
Jul 25, 2013 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lora
Sep 14, 2016 Lora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You know when a relationship starts w/all the right stuff, then w/o warning BAM, it's full of different stuff you didn't see coming? Well, that's my reaction to this book.

First off, though, the title is brilliant. How could you not pick up a book with an opener like, The Madness of a Seduced Woman? Call it whatever antithesis of feminism you like, but for me, I wanted to know more - was it madness? Was it patriarchy? What was the seduction?

First date w/this novel, guaranteed. Then the opening s
Emily Gilbert
May 28, 2015 Emily Gilbert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book gets 5 stars from me purely out of how much I enjoyed reading this. I think also, the rating was helped along by the surprise factor- I was given this as a birthday present and had never heard of it before and didn't know what to expect, I was spurred on to read this though after seeing such a high rating on here.

All too often characters in books irritate me because I don't understand their actions, or what leads them to be the way they are. This book went above and beyond the intricac
BOOK- WORM
I have been on and off this book over the course of the last two years. Iv only just finished it tonight. I always thought it required a great mental strength and devotion that i lacked to emerse myself in it to fully understand and follow up with its story. One thing that fascinated me though is that despite the long breaks i took before i went back to it. i always managed to bring back to mind the details of the story from the very beginning no matter how long i stayed away or how many other b ...more
RickyB
Aug 23, 2016 RickyB rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***SPOILERS***
This was one of those rare books - I loved it, hated it, loved it again, got angry, I cried, I laughed, I hated it (again), and by the end I just wanted to turn back to the first page and start out all over again. I was really sorry it had to end.

The title is based on the defense used by Agnes' lawyer when defending her for murder after she killed the innocent fiance of a man Agnes was obsessed with.

Schaeffer's writing is near perfect and that is what kept me going when I wanted t
Consuelo Roland
Dec 01, 2016 Consuelo Roland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agnes Dempster's obsessive infatuation with a young stone-cutter leads her to commit a horrific crime of passion.

I have a narrow dark-wood bookshelf where I put all the books that seduce me with their own brand of madness. Each of them has its own distinct voice, a voice that seems to come from another world. The purity of Agnes Dempster's obsession, the questions the book raises about societal norms and the limits of a legal system, shifted my world view a little. This astonishing book is one o
Lynn Webster
Aug 18, 2011 Lynn Webster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book caused one to think of mental illness in a light probably you never would have before. It was quite long (575 pages) but kept pulling you in. The book dealt with a murder by a young girl by another due to jealousy over a boyfriend. The book focused on the murderers childhood, romance of the boyfriend, murder, the subsequent trial and life in the psychiatric hospital as well as her life once she was released from the hospital. The murder took place in early 1900.

I am looking forward to
  • The Ferguson Affair
  • A Carnivore's Inquiry
  • Meeting Evil
  • Leave Her to Heaven
  • Valerie Solanas: The Defiant Life of the Woman Who Wrote SCUM (and Shot Andy Warhol)
  • The Road Through the Wall
  • Eva's Man
  • Complete Works, Vol. 3: The Homecoming / Tea Party / The Basement / Landscape / Silence / Revue Sketches
  • Honour Thy Father
  • The Face That Must Die

“Words got me into trouble. They are the deadliest weapons of all, so that now the gun seems almost innocent by comparison. I fired the shot to stop the words; they were so busy eating everything up. You have no idea how I hate words, how i see them winding out of people's mouths like sticky strands of a web, infinitely elastic, linking the speaker to the listener forever, and finally weaving an impermeable cocoon around the mind and then the poor, fast-beating heart itself.” 3 likes